REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 05-13-2012, 06:22 PM   #1
Rider

Thanked 2,601 Times in 272 Posts
Witness needed: Rupert St and 22nd ave.

I was involved in an accident today on May 13th 2012 at 5:05pm

I was driving my moms Toyota Camry 2002 with my parents inside.
I was heading northbound on a stale green. I was approximately 3 meters away from the intersection while still going 50km/h. It was too late to stop for the yellow light that turned .. so I decided to go for it. Then all a sudden thre other car..

2012 Kia sorento. Silver in color.
Decided to turn left on a yellow.

Bam I hit him.

He received minimal damage while I took most of it.
Left headlight smashed. Quarter panel is bent at the front. Bumper needs to be replace. Hopefully the frame is okay.

But here's the thing.

I ran out to see if I can get any witnesses while my mom grabs their information.
No one was there to see it but I came accross a Hindu lady and she said I ran a red when it was still a yellow.
I just wonder if that has any effect on how this will go.

Please advise.

Thanks in advance
Advertisement

Last edited by rexsomnii; 05-14-2012 at 07:22 AM.
rexsomnii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 06:28 PM   #2
mb_
WUB WUB WUB WUB WUB

Thanked 6,807 Times in 1,811 Posts
Knowing ICBC, Kia driver will be found at fault which is usually the case in left turn accidents
mb_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 06:29 PM   #3
KO7
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Best of luck to you, I hate that intersection. With Chong Lee market and Golden Oscar restaurant, it's an absolute mess sometimes. Did you need to swerve around a car turning left going Northbound as well? Or was the Sorento able to see you the whole way?
KO7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 06:34 PM   #4
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Thanked 1,120 Times in 280 Posts
Usually im use to hearing it from the other person (kia's) point of view and i usually tell them they're fucked unless they can find a witness. fortunately you're on the other end that icbc usually sides with and on top of that you have a witness that claims you didnt run a red. i think you're good unless he can come up with some witnesses that say otherwise
duy- is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 05-13-2012, 06:39 PM   #5
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Thanked 1,392 Times in 180 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by duy- View Post
Usually im use to hearing it from the other person (kia's) point of view and i usually tell them they're fucked unless they can find a witness. fortunately you're on the other end that icbc usually sides with and on top of that you have a witness that claims you didnt run a red. i think you're good unless he can come up with some witnesses that say otherwise
Witness in OP's statement says that OP ran a red, which might actually screw him over and put the fault on him in ICBC's eyes.
GoneGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 06:46 PM   #6
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

Thanked 5,158 Times in 579 Posts
why were you going over 60 anyways? GG. hate the fucking idiots who tried to run a late yellow.
Chronix is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-13-2012, 07:15 PM   #7
Hopeless Romantic

^ 2 km over..? Lol
jtanner_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 07:25 PM   #8
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Thanked 1,120 Times in 280 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneGuru View Post
Witness in OP's statement says that OP ran a red, which might actually screw him over and put the fault on him in ICBC's eyes.
oh i read it wrong, yeah you're fucked. dont use her as a witness lol. i hope that the guy in the kia didnt get her name and number
duy- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 07:30 PM   #9
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

The person making the left is responsible for making sure it is safe to proceed. They will be found at least the majority at fault

FS www.list4all.com/racerboy88
racerman88 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-13-2012, 07:30 PM   #10
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

ICBC will likely say both at fault
Gnomes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 08:40 PM   #11
Yc
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

^not true

if witness are presented indicating the person ran a red, then the left turner will not be at fault
I let one rip once, and i pulled the covers over the girl, it was funny. she stopped moving, and when i lifted the covers i had to send her to the hospital.
http://www.revscene.net/forums/showt...hreadid=462576
Yc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 08:56 PM   #12
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

i had this recently but mine was a yellow, and the left turner was found 100% at fault.
And like mentioned above the left turner has to make sure its clear before turning. And from where you damage is on the car sounds like he was the one that was starting the turn. i think kia is 100% even with the red light i think he will be 75% and your 25%. just my 2 cents
kkttsang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 09:12 PM   #13
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Where in the driving book does it say 'YELLOW light means people making left turns get the right of way', Because I think I missed that part, where did everyone else read it?

This should be 150% the fault of the person turning, even at a yellow. I hope ICBC doesn't split it. Oh and edit your post. If anyone finds you say you were doing over 50, you will get screwed. (Vancouver speed limits if you are from surrey btw)
sebTeggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 09:41 PM   #14
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Thanked 1,135 Times in 383 Posts
im guessing their fault, with where you described the damage is on your car it sounds like the kia probably thought you were stopping and proceded and hit you as you entered the intersection. I dont think view is obstructed that much for north bound traffic for the kia to not see you at all.

Good luck and I hope icbc is in your favor.
TjAlmeida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 11:01 PM   #15
First to fail !SG evar! Now i have yellow fever...

Thanked 2,431 Times in 475 Posts
if you ran a yellow, the left turner will be at fault. If the light was red when you entered the intersection then you will be at fault. When I say "at fault" I mean from ICBC's perspective. In reality, you are both at fault for causing the accident. The turner should have made 100% certain the intersection was clear, but you should have been more aware of the situation too. If you are approaching a stale green then you should adjust your speed accordingly so that you can stop if the light changes (and it did). I always glance at the pedestrian walk sign when approaching an intersection, if the orange hand is blinking then you know the light will change soon. Defensive driving, people.
Redlines_Daily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 11:16 PM   #16
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexsomnii View Post
a Hindu lady...
Wonder what would happen if you start counting these in pain sight..

Jokes.
Jokes.

Did you try calling the owners of Rupert Fish market I'm sure they've seen their share of accidents on that corner.
Old 05-13-2012, 11:20 PM   #17
RS controls my life!

^ they closed down
guesswho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 11:34 PM   #18
Rider

Thanks for all your inputs. To make the yellow.. even with my parents in the car. Mom was beside me yelling wtf is that guy doing just turning as I was entering the intersection.
Do I get a chance to submit my pictures and skid marks of the the intersection?

How does icbc draw this to the end. I know they got a Hindu lady as a witness but I feel that she might lie just to fuck me over because I look like a young asian driver. I'm 22 .

Last edited by rexsomnii; 05-14-2012 at 07:24 AM.
Old 05-13-2012, 11:49 PM   #19
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

Thanked 1,930 Times in 504 Posts
Shit, I live right on that corner. Well, not really, but I can see the intersection from my house. It's a pretty crappy intersection. Didn't hear anything at about 5 though, and I was outside in the backyard working on my lip too =\
kakucaekz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 12:12 AM   #20
Rider

I dunno what to do now. I'm just worried icbc will take the other partys side because of the witness. If there's any way to find witness on my part. I was travelling from 41st and Clarendon .. chill driving all the way to this intersection.. there was a slight hill going downwards .
Old 05-14-2012, 12:21 AM   #21
Banned (ABWS)?

Thanked 3,650 Times in 1,520 Posts
Good luck. don't use that lady as testimony if it doesn't benefit you. Don't say you were speeding above 50.
It's immediate red flag if you admit to that. Did the other driver talk to the Indian woman as well?

And from my personal experience...
I find icbc unreliable when trying to piece an accident together just by looking at car damages...
So good luck.
AzNightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 12:26 AM   #22
Rider

Yeah the hindu lady talked to the other driver. So should i just say i was driving in the 55's then ?

Ill post up damages right now. I just got home from a long ass day
Old 05-14-2012, 12:28 AM   #23
mb_
WUB WUB WUB WUB WUB

Thanked 6,807 Times in 1,811 Posts
If I were you I wouldn't even bring up the speed. If they asked I'd say I was going the speed limit according to the speedometer to have less chances of being fucked over.
mb_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 12:36 AM   #24
Rider

Fuck ... i gave the statement to ICBC already.. I said i was going 58. Is that over for me now
Old 05-14-2012, 12:40 AM   #25
Rider

Flickr: GerardLe's Photostream

My damage