REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 05-16-2012, 01:56 AM   #26
Banned (ABWS)

sorry, just have a random question for you guys that are moving out to the toronto area.. are you guys landing corporate type jobs? or are you just doing whatever you can? i've been thinking of moving out that way as well but im just a labourer. never have and never will enter the corporate world.
Advertisement
Teh Doucher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 04:37 AM   #27
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

i live at the college / bay corridor and unfortunately, if you want a 1 bedroom within a 3 block radius it will most likely run 1500+
KuSouL is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-16-2012, 10:08 AM   #28
RabidMod

Thanked 1,100 Times in 408 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teh Doucher View Post
sorry, just have a random question for you guys that are moving out to the toronto area.. are you guys landing corporate type jobs? or are you just doing whatever you can? i've been thinking of moving out that way as well but im just a labourer. never have and never will enter the corporate world.
I think a bunch of people are down there for school. Personally I'm there for a corporate type job yeah. I'd take a look at the usual job boards but enter Toronto in the search box and see what comes up. In my field there is a LOT more stuff available in the GTA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KuSouL View Post
i live at the college / bay corridor and unfortunately, if you want a 1 bedroom within a 3 block radius it will most likely run 1500+
Thanks for that data point. I'm probably going to end up at King West or CityPlace, these are the only areas I'm finding that are relatively nice, conveniently located, and within budget. That or I live outside of the downtown area. North York seems considerably cheaper.
Old 05-16-2012, 10:13 AM   #29
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,547 Times in 4,324 Posts
Quote:
never have and never will enter the corporate world.
Never say never.

I think it looks peasant as fuck and to me this is a 3/10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badhobz View Post
^PICS DAMNIT!!!! ill eat the pate out of her banhmi anytime.
bcrdukes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 12:24 PM   #30
2x Variable Nockenwellen Steuerung

Thanked 1,174 Times in 704 Posts
There are more varied jobs in Toronto than just the typical corporate or union or construction / labourer work in Vancouver.. since their industry base is so much more diverse. There are manufacturing eg auto, aerospace etc. that BC doesn't have. Heck just look on how many metal casting companies here vs there. Pay for large manufacturering jobs are generally unionized.. and the kicker is living cost in TO is lower due to the economy of scale.. just go to T&T's website and compare the prices between groceries in TO vs BC.. you will find even BC produce like dungeness crab CHEAPER in TO than in BC.

I also find people in TO have a more diverse / outward looking world view than people who grew up and live only in BC. People here seem have taken Tourism Board's "British Columbia Best Place on Earth" as fact for everything.

Ontario's economy is on the mend, there are tons of hirings right now.

I always believe if you have the will you will get a job.

Quote:

Last edited by godwin; 05-16-2012 at 12:36 PM.
godwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 12:33 PM   #31
RS Veteran

RabidRat: Probably not the most favourable area to live in and I mentioned this to you in chat. My friend lives at Front and Spadina. He works at Bay and King in the Finance District.

Amenities are all there and the buildings in his area are < 10 years old. I believe one of his friends living in the building adjacent to him is going for $1200/month including utilities. Chinatown is just up the street and so is public transportation.

Quote:
This post thanked by:
Old 05-16-2012, 12:40 PM   #32
Drk
I don't get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrdukes View Post
Never say never.
Drk is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-16-2012, 01:34 PM   #33
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Thanked 1,286 Times in 133 Posts
Check out M5V

M5V Life
K.Dubz is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-16-2012, 02:14 PM   #34
My homepage has been set to RS

Also check out St. Lawrence market area. Just outside the core but cheaper prices.
Liquid_o2 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-16-2012, 05:04 PM   #35
RabidMod

Quote:
Originally Posted by K.Dubz View Post
Check out M5V

M5V Life
95% sold though, looks like if I decided to buy I'd have to do it soon.
Old 05-16-2012, 05:11 PM   #36
RabidMod

Okay so I'm actually getting multiple suggestions for the area surrounding Church and Wellesley. Supposedly it's a nice area and all, seems affordable. Are there actually any issues with this place other than the fact that you know, it's the gay capital of Toronto? I'm not a homophobe or anything, I could probably deal with it.
Old 05-16-2012, 05:18 PM   #37
My homepage has been set to RS

^if its anything like the gay district of vancouver its prolly fulla better food and safer than everywhere else. gayz b eatin
drunkrussian is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-16-2012, 08:33 PM   #38
RS Veteran

As much as people joke about it, Church and Wellesley isn't bad. It's pretty good. The people in the area are pretty friendly. Not quite your typical Toronto corporate zombies.

When I worked in Toronto over the summer back in 06, I lived not far from the Village. I was at Yonge and Bloor. Our office was down the street just off of Jarvis.

Quote:
Old 05-17-2012, 12:38 AM   #39
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrdukes View Post
Never say never.
no seriously, i mean never. i'd honestly shoot myself if i had to sit in a bloody office all day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by godwin View Post
There are more varied jobs in Toronto than just the typical corporate or union or construction / labourer work in Vancouver.. since their industry base is so much more diverse. There are manufacturing eg auto, aerospace etc. that BC doesn't have. Heck just look on how many metal casting companies here vs there. Pay for large manufacturering jobs are generally unionized.. and the kicker is living cost in TO is lower due to the economy of scale.. just go to T&T's website and compare the prices between groceries in TO vs BC.. you will find even BC produce like dungeness crab CHEAPER in TO than in BC.

I also find people in TO have a more diverse / outward looking world view than people who grew up and live only in BC. People here seem have taken Tourism Board's "British Columbia Best Place on Earth" as fact for everything.

Ontario's economy is on the mend, there are tons of hirings right now.

I always believe if you have the will you will get a job.
its funny you mentioned that bit about metal casting, thats actually what i do for a living, im a molder in a foundry. that second part of your response is honestly the reason im considering the GTA. i hear that people are a lot nicer out there and not as closed minded as they are here.
Teh Doucher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 12:54 AM   #40

I said metal casting because originally I was going to get some mould made for a small production runs for engine heads of my own design.. In the end, I only needed 2 sets of 2 so I went the CNC route instead... During my research I just notice 1. there are more places that caters to heavy industry out East 2. Generally they are more clear on what they can / cannot do. (vs give us your project we will figure it sales pitch out here West)

Quote:
its funny you mentioned that bit about metal casting, thats actually what i do for a living, im a molder in a foundry. that second part of your response is honestly the reason im considering the GTA. i hear that people are a lot nicer out there and not as closed minded as they are here.
Old 05-17-2012, 01:03 AM   #41
dlo
Los Bastardo owned my ass at least once

Thanked 7,930 Times in 1,432 Posts
Jane and finch homie yanno wut I mean
Come bang wit us, chuckie akenz rep our crew yanno wasup cuz
dlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 01:03 AM   #42
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

There are realtors who specialize on condo renting placement, although most of them will need to see you face to face before actually showing places due to regulations.

If you are planning to drive, don't rent in North York, the postal code will kill you.
wouwou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 12:57 PM   #43
RabidMod

Quote:
Originally Posted by wouwou View Post
There are realtors who specialize on condo renting placement, although most of them will need to see you face to face before actually showing places due to regulations.

If you are planning to drive, don't rent in North York, the postal code will kill you.
Just the fact that it's a long drive?

I guess it is pretty close to Markham though which is cool (dimsum, NCIX). Any other issues with that area? Is it as boring, soulless, and sparse as people make it out to be?
RabidRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 01:21 PM   #44
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 2,259 Times in 439 Posts
North York is great, don't get me wrong. But, downtown is downtown if you know what I mean.
North York is actually Korea town 2. Lots of food, it is pretty lively at night. But, if I were to stay North of downtown, I would prefer Yonge and eglington or Lawrence.
TheKingdom2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 02:55 PM   #45

Long drive, insane traffic getting on and off 401.

It is boring.. people stay in their own little comfortable spaces all the time etc... not to mention fully planned but half built TTC line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RabidRat View Post

I guess it is pretty close to Markham though which is cool (dimsum, NCIX). Any other issues with that area? Is it as boring, soulless, and sparse as people make it out to be?
Old 05-17-2012, 04:48 PM   #46

Quote:

Other than the 401 drag, the emptiness, your auto insurance will be twice what you pay if you have a downtown postal code. Ont insurance has a very different quotation system, and they look at you the driver while where you live. I am in Markham for the family neighbourhood, but I think you are more concerned with a single life.

As for the people, YES they are a lot nicer here. I can chat up anyone at a store and have a great time, and people are generally more helpful than GVRD.
This post thanked by:
Old 05-17-2012, 11:49 PM   #47
RabidMod

^ So you're saying insurance if I live in the downtown area of Toronto is probably going to be double what I'm paying here in BC? And you're also saying that it'll be equally high insurance cost whether I live in North York or downtown Toronto because they judge it to be the same area?
Old 05-18-2012, 09:42 AM   #48
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Everyone has a unique driving record... Just google a few insurance companies and get a quote yourself..
fobulaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 12:54 PM   #49
RabidMod

Quote:
Originally Posted by fobulaus View Post
Everyone has a unique driving record... Just google a few insurance companies and get a quote yourself..
I know. I'm just trying to figure out what the heck he was saying LOL
Old 05-18-2012, 06:21 PM   #50

Quote:
^ So you're saying insurance if I live in the downtown area of Toronto is probably going to be double what I'm paying here in BC? And you're also saying that it'll be equally high insurance cost whether I live in North York or downtown Toronto because they judge it to be the same area?
What I meant was that if you live in North York, your quote will be twice what you pay if you live in downtown TO.

An example for me: I pay 2018 back in Van with 35% off, and I am currently paying 2074 with a Markham postal code (a relatively cheap area for auto insurance). If I live in North York, my quote will be 28xx, and if I live downtown TO, the quote will be 16xx a year.

Sorry for the bad English though, lol
This post thanked by: