REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 05-14-2012, 06:36 PM   #1
RabidMod

Moving to Toronto (again) - Where to Live?

So I'm starting work in downtown Toronto next month - can anyone chime in with suggestions for which areas to look into, which to avoid? I'm leaning towards living in the downtown core, unless there are huge reasons not to.

I don't mind spending a little more for now, budget's prolly about $1000 - $1500 / mo for a 1 bdrm.
Advertisement
Old 05-14-2012, 06:41 PM   #2
I subscribe to Revscene

Thanked 1,341 Times in 395 Posts
my sis lives in North York.
she has a 1200sq.ft apartment (kind of modern)
3bdroom 2 bathroom
she pays just 1400 i think
takes about 25min to drive dt in moderate traffic.
i think that's a pretty decent price
1000-1500 might get you a nice place if you move a bit further away
k3mps is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-14-2012, 06:46 PM   #3
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 2,259 Times in 439 Posts
^ I live in north york right now.
I would highly suggest not living here. It's a great place and everything, but it is way too far from downtown.
It is convenient if you're on the subway line, but it is a $50 cab ride if you go out and party.

I don't really know what the market is like downtown toronto. All I know is that you'll have a blast. I wish I lived downtown, but it's too far from my school to commute.
TheKingdom2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-14-2012, 06:55 PM   #4
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Where abouts do you work?

I suggest the condos near Bay/Harbour... If not, there are quite a few condos near Air Canada Centre.. Also some nice buildings near Esplanade/Yonge...

I do not recommend North York as it's too far from downtown plus the subways are always delayed.. Also do not recommend CityPlace (Spadina/Front) unless you absolutely can't find anything else due to the location and bad construction quality...

I heard the rental prices have gone up recently so $1500 might be tough finding a 1BR downtown... You could also try bachelor suites or looking for a roommate..
fobulaus is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-14-2012, 07:46 PM   #5
My homepage has been set to RS

Luxury condominium with upgrades - high floor, 9 foot ceilings
drunkrussian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 07:50 PM   #6
RS Veteran

Thanked 7,901 Times in 3,130 Posts
How about...Church and Wellesely?

Last edited by bcrdukes; 05-15-2012 at 01:06 AM.
bcrdukes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 01:10 AM   #7
RabidMod

Quote:
Originally Posted by fobulaus View Post
Where abouts do you work?

I suggest the condos near Bay/Harbour... If not, there are quite a few condos near Air Canada Centre.. Also some nice buildings near Esplanade/Yonge...

I do not recommend North York as it's too far from downtown plus the subways are always delayed.. Also do not recommend CityPlace (Spadina/Front) unless you absolutely can't find anything else due to the location and bad construction quality...

I heard the rental prices have gone up recently so $1500 might be tough finding a 1BR downtown... You could also try bachelor suites or looking for a roommate..
I'll be working near Bay & Wellington.

I was actually looking into some CityPlace units, the price seems reasonable for that kind of view (ie actually within my budget haha). What's wrong with the location?
Old 05-15-2012, 02:20 AM   #8
I want to be a person and not an icon.

Thanked 5,286 Times in 892 Posts
But I thought we could ride together this summer
Vale46Rossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 01:22 PM   #9
RabidMod

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenDuang View Post
But I thought we could ride together this summer
Hahaha set something up on the Sportbike subforum, I'm down anytime.
Old 05-15-2012, 01:27 PM   #10
2x Variable Nockenwellen Steuerung

Thanked 1,174 Times in 704 Posts
If you are single, I won't suggest North York. To go pretty much anywhere lively you need to drive.

I would suggest you limit yourself south of Eglinton, North of Union station.. Try neighbourhoods like Cabbagetown.

Air Canada Centre is kinda middle of no where too.

Last edited by godwin; 05-15-2012 at 01:34 PM.
godwin is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-15-2012, 01:33 PM   #11

Yonge and Finch is FAR! Most new apartment have high ceiling these days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkrussian View Post

Last edited by godwin; 05-15-2012 at 01:57 PM.
This post thanked by:
Old 05-15-2012, 01:44 PM   #12
RabidMod

Quote:
Originally Posted by godwin View Post
If you are single, I won't suggest North York. To go pretty much anywhere lively you need to drive.

I would suggest you limit yourself south of Eglinton, North of Union station.. Try neighbourhoods like Cabbagetown.

Air Canada Centre is kinda middle of no where too.
Thanks.

What are the "bad" areas of Toronto that I need to stay away from? For example I was looking at the CityPlace condos located around Front and Spadina, but "fobolaus" posted that there's an issue with that location - is this a shady area? I do see train tracks.. is the area prone to crime or something?
Old 05-15-2012, 01:48 PM   #13

One thing about living in Toronto is you should also think ahead of winter public transport. Also if you want to bring your toy/ cars with you. Most apartments have storage, but if you are sharing a house, chances are you will be parking outdoors etc.

It depends on how long you are there and your money situation.. I would think about getting a house over an apartment.
This post thanked by:
Old 05-15-2012, 01:54 PM   #14

IMO Toronto's crime is more spread out less concentrated than in Vancouver like DTES. Also people in Toronto are more aware of condo safety than Vancouverites... eg don't let strangers into garage and no BBQ on balconies etc. So in that sense, there aren't any particularly bad neighbourhoods I mean if you live on the West side / entertainment district don't be surprised that there are drunks / partying to late in the night etc.

Remember TO has some really OLD apartments or they age badly due to poor management. So even though the unit look nice on the rest of it could be rather crappy. Be prepared that at your price range you will have at least a dozen or 2 units on the same floor etc. Toronto apartment living is more concentrated than Vancouver's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RabidRat View Post
Thanks.

What are the "bad" areas of Toronto that I need to stay away from? For example I was looking at the CityPlace condos located around Front and Spadina, but "fobolaus" posted that there's an issue with that location - is this a shady area? I do see train tracks.. is the area prone to crime or something?

Last edited by godwin; 05-15-2012 at 02:12 PM.
This post thanked by:
Old 05-15-2012, 02:23 PM   #15
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrdukes View Post
How about...Church and Wellesely?
Hehe welcome to Davie St.
dahonga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 04:53 PM   #16

Quote:
lol, this is my building.
It should cost around the same in downtown though.

Let us know what you decide on and how much.
good luck.
This post thanked by:
Old 05-15-2012, 04:56 PM   #17
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Jane and Finch is the way to go
jackmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 05-15-2012, 05:11 PM   #18
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RabidRat View Post
I'll be working near Bay & Wellington.

I was actually looking into some CityPlace units, the price seems reasonable for that kind of view (ie actually within my budget haha). What's wrong with the location?
Location is not that bad... Around 20 mins to subway and 25 mins to work... I know this doesn't sound like much but when it's -35 degrees in the winter it's a big deal....

I also know some people living there and they said that the build quality is not great... Elevator wait times are long (mostly high rises)... That said, there are around 10 buildings in that area there so each one could be different.

Personally I think Bay/Harbour would be a much better location.. 10 mins to subway and 15 mins to work and 5 mins to "the path" where you can walk underground all the way to work...
fobulaus is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-15-2012, 05:41 PM   #19
My homepage has been set to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by mx703 View Post
lol, this is my building.
It should cost around the same in downtown though.

Let us know what you decide on and how much.
good luck.
cool hahaha are you a realtor? just asking in case i move to toronto in the future as well lol
drunkrussian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 05:59 PM   #20

Quote:
cool hahaha are you a realtor? just asking in case i move to toronto in the future as well lol
Unfortunately not. Just a student.
But, if you need one, I still have the contact of the realtor I used here. He was great and made the transition really smooth.
Old 05-15-2012, 06:09 PM   #21
NLY
Helps you change your flat, doesn't hit on your girlfriend while doing so

Thanked 1,756 Times in 278 Posts
Eglinton and yonge.

Awesome atmosphere, restaurants are abundant, subway is close.

I'm paying 1800/month for a one bedroom+den

2016-2017 Revscene Fantasy Basketball Champion

Last edited by NLY; 05-15-2012 at 06:15 PM.
NLY is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-15-2012, 07:19 PM   #22
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

I'm at Yonge and Eglinton as well.

I pay $1050 a month + hydro, though I live in a 40 year old building, it's very well taken care of and it's a five minute walk to the subway. As rizo said, great atmosphere, tons of amenities, pubs, restaurants, LCBO, Metro, Sobey's on Mt. Pleasant. Plus you can be downtown in 15 minutes.

Some of my friends live in College Park right downtown on Bay Street, or in Concord CityPlace and they are paying soooo much, about 1500 to 1700 for small one bedrooms. If you have a roommate you can get a two bedroom for 2000 to 2400 a month downtown. You can find some older buildings closer towards Bloor (Isabella and Yonge) but I find that area sort of lacking.

There aren't really any horrible areas, even Regent Park is gentrifying.

If I were looking for a place right now with that budget I would look at
-Yonge and Eglinton
-Yonge and St. Clair
- Bloor and Spadina
- Bloor and Bathurst
- Queen Street West

You might find a one bedroom at the top of your price range in CityPlace, but I find it is sort of in no mans land, between the train tracks and the highway. But you have easy access to Jays games!
Liquid_o2 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-16-2012, 12:36 AM   #23
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

I know somebody who lives on Church and Carlton beside the old Maple Leaf Gardens. Forgot exactly how much it costs, $1,100 rings a bell. One bedroom, I was comfortable walking everywhere I needed to go from there too. Walking for ~20 minutes took me to Front street where I often had breakfast at the St. Lawrence market, great place!
BillyBishop is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-16-2012, 12:56 AM   #24

I would suggest just pick any of the area you want.. eg downtown, cabbagetown etc.. do a short term rental (6 months) and decide on somewhere permanent once you have settled and know the town a bit more. There are so many choices, also go with a realtor for rental too. Especially for apartments, since there are so many foreign buyers buying just for rental. A few of my family works at North York General as docs, there are tons of new apartments in that neighbourhood and most of them are about 50% occupied but 80-90% sold, 3 -4 years after they have been built... so you do the math.

If you are raising a family Avenue / St Clair are where UCC is located, Havergal is further up Avenue. Yonge and Eglington's North Toronto Collegiate is also well regarded for public education. If you are looking long term, eventually Eglinton might connect to Pearson International via some form of TTC.

In the end, there are more and more apartments becoming available in TO, they are overbuilding apartments right now. You just need patience.

Old Maple Leaf garden has been bought and coverted by Ryerson University.. supposedly there is gym / tons of connivence features etc.. not to mention pretty coeds?

Last edited by godwin; 05-16-2012 at 01:04 AM.
This post thanked by:
Old 05-16-2012, 01:33 AM   #25
RabidMod

Good call on looking for a realtor. If anyone can suggest one please PM me otherwise I'm just going to random this haha.

At this point I'm just looking for an apartment relatively close to work. I'm still not sure that I'd want to settle down in Toronto to live long term so I'm definitely going to stick to renting for now.