REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 05-27-2012, 11:56 PM   #26
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

I never heard of Monsanto until today... very disturbing. I just watched the documentary, "The world according to Monsanto" which convinced me that it's worth it to go this meeting. Watch the documentary! pretty scary
Advertisement
TylerTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 01:43 AM   #27
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alatar View Post
While I don't agree with GE products, GM has solved/alleviated some famine issues in various parts of the world.

Bill Gates on energy: Innovating to zero! - YouTube

Incidentally, I've watched the entire TED talks segment in question, and those excerpts are ENTIRELY out of context.

I'm not trying to advocate Monsanto here. Believe me, I dislike them and their practices as much as many of the other outspoken individuals in this thread. But posting up a bullshit excerpted segment of a TED Talks episode is downright inane.
Each year, we dispose excess crops and good by burning it / dumping it / throwing it to the sea to dispose of it rather than giving it to the poor. All business do this to protect their own interest and to keep prices stable.

Ok, I am not trying to start a conspiracy here. But While GE/GM food does raised food production level, the increased productivity has no context in terms of solving famine issues. By introducing you the idea that this new type of goods is good for the world, they give you hope that this will be for a good cause, while slipping in those vaccines or what not.

We see examples of this over and over in this world. Sugar coating a long term agenda with short term benefits.

I can name another example here. 17 years ago, someone came up with the idea to "strengthen" a part of the world by unifying 17 countries' currency to be more competitive. The "sugar coat" is to allow less competitive countries to adopt into a currency that is internationally recognized and traded, so they can borrow more and flourish, and "together" they will grow. Wow, this is awesome for the world isn't it?
Fast forward 17 years, these weak countries are loaded to the brim with debt they cannot pay out, and citizens who are so used to getting by with welfare because government benefits are a given to them in their idealogy. While Government is so used to borrowing money to get by they forgot what is GDP. Are these people lazy? Perhaps so, but more importantly, they have lost their ability to be motivated to work and to fend for themselves, like boiling frogs.

When the system finally buckles, you will see the stronger surrounding countries are literally raping them from all resources by buying it up on the cheap. This is the modern war. Invasion without casualties.

Sounds familiar? What do you think are the real agenda here?

Last edited by BoredAtWork; 05-28-2012 at 02:29 AM.
BoredAtWork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 04:39 AM   #28
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,091 Times in 773 Posts
"are these people lazy"

I can't believe this shit still flies as people learn more and more about what is actually happening.
Meowjin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 02:06 PM   #29
VLS Head Mod

Please people, if you can please show up and support no to allowing Monsanto and their gm product... They are a pesticide company, growing seeds resistant to the chemicals produced in their pesticides.
I can not be there due to a tragic event in kamloops this weekend so I beg people not to let these guys weasel their way into bc.
saucywoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 04:09 PM   #30
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anjew View Post
Those minutes are are so embarrassing to read. Its just Monsanto being dirty and greedy that is bad. Dont hate engineered food, its all around us. A straight ban on GE foods? ridiculous.
please explain to me why i got failed?
Anjew is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 05-28-2012, 04:59 PM   #31
First to fail !SG evar! Now i have yellow fever...

Thanked 2,431 Times in 475 Posts
I'm heading to city hall now, fingers crossed
Redlines_Daily is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 05-28-2012, 07:41 PM   #32
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

MONSANTO 2012
andrewness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 09:39 PM   #33

motion passed unanimously , the ban still stands.
Old 05-29-2012, 08:36 AM   #34
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 7,191 Times in 2,411 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlines_Daily View Post
I'm heading to city hall now, fingers crossed
Quote:
motion passed unanimously , the ban still stands.
I heard it was a full-house last night, huge props to those who went in person in support. This is great news.
2010 Toyota Rav4 Limited V6 - Wifey's Daily Driver
2009 BMW 128i - Daily Driver
2007 Toyota Rav4 Sport V6 - Sold
1999 Mazda Miata - Sold
2003 Mazda Protege5 - Sold
1987 BMW 325is - Sold
1990 Mazda Miata - Sold

100% Buy and Sell Feedback
sonick is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-29-2012, 08:51 AM   #35
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 3,628 Times in 718 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anjew View Post
please explain to me why i got failed?
go to a local farm in europe, taste the food there, then you'll see the difference

it's not even worth comparing
Excelsis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 08:57 AM   #36

Thanked 7,191 Times in 2,411 Posts
Richmond Review - Hundreds back council crop resolution
2010 Toyota Rav4 Limited V6 - Wifey's Daily Driver
2009 BMW 128i - Daily Driver
2007 Toyota Rav4 Sport V6 - Sold
1999 Mazda Miata - Sold
2003 Mazda Protege5 - Sold
1987 BMW 325is - Sold
1990 Mazda Miata - Sold

100% Buy and Sell Feedback
sonick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 08:59 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonick View Post
I heard it was a full-house last night, huge props to those who went in person in support. This is great news.
It was packed, people sitting on the floor even. I'm happy to report that everyone was very respectful of the council and opposition during the meeting, even the guy wearing the mask(he also removed his mask and spoke to the council at the end of the night).

EDIT - sonick beat me to it
This post thanked by:
Old 05-29-2012, 11:56 AM   #38

Thanked 3,495 Times in 1,692 Posts
"Hell No" to GMO! Props to the people of Richmond for standing up against the greedy corporation Monsanto.
Old 05-29-2012, 12:20 PM   #39
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

I'm glad the ban still stands. I've hated Monsanto since learning about them in Business Law years back. These guys would sue farmers in instances where wind would carry pollen from GE seeds onto a farmer's land in which he did not purchase the seeds from Monsanto. These guys are fucking ruthless...

Hard to Believe: Monsanto Won
Ilagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 12:31 PM   #40
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 4,069 Times in 1,253 Posts
^business

Anyone know if Cranberries are GMO'd?
yray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 12:46 PM   #41
I STILL don't get it

Quote:
It was packed, people sitting on the floor even. I'm happy to report that everyone was very respectful of the council and opposition during the meeting, even the guy wearing the mask(he also removed his mask and spoke to the council at the end of the night).

EDIT - sonick beat me to it
Criticize the business if you don't approve of their model.
Don't criticize the product so generally.

wstce92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 12:46 PM   #42
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 2,165 Times in 594 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha v2 View Post
go to a local farm in europe, taste the food there, then you'll see the difference

it's not even worth comparing

fo sheezy.... I almost shat my pants, literally... when having a handful of strawberries I had picked fresh from a fruit farm in Sweden when I was visiting family....
because my body was so used to eating this north american fckin 'roid fruit they pump full of shit to get huge and look good that it had literally forgotten what real strawberries tasted like and it kind of tried to reject it by trying to just push it through my system

I don't even trust a majority of organic fruit sold at stores honestly
Old 05-29-2012, 01:11 PM   #43
RS controls my life!

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-spec View Post
my body was so used to eating this north american fckin 'roid fruit they pump full of shit to get huge and look good that it had literally forgotten what real strawberries tasted like and it kind of tried to reject it by trying to just push it through my system
I don't know why this sentence is so hella funny to me
GGnoRE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 01:26 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by wstce92 View Post
Criticize the business if you don't approve of their model.
Don't criticize the product so generally.
The product is what is under criticism. There were a few speaking about Monsanto specifically, but the bigger concern is that GMO's have not been proven to be healthy. Quite the opposite actually, there is overwhelming evidence that crops grown with GE seeds can cause numerous health problems. One example is organ failure and tumors that developed in lab rats when fed GE products. Some of these studies were done by Monsanto themselves, but much of the negative test results were not included in the reports given to food agencies and health organizations.
Old 05-29-2012, 02:09 PM   #45
VLS Head Mod

Quote:
The product is what is under criticism. There were a few speaking about Monsanto specifically, but the bigger concern is that GMO's have not been proven to be healthy. Quite the opposite actually, there is overwhelming evidence that crops grown with GE seeds can cause numerous health problems. One example is organ failure and tumors that developed in lab rats when fed GE products. Some of these studies were done by Monsanto themselves, but much of the negative test results were not included in the reports given to food agencies and health organizations.
QFT... For those not in the know about gmo's and just how bad it is I would really recommend googling gmo's and Monsanto.. If people would just open their eyes and minds a little you'd be amazed with the shit going on
saucywoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 12:29 AM   #46
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

I got a question here. As much of our groceries are imported from the states, how many are GM foods? Places like Safeway, Save-on, Super Store, all source from US.

The ban is for GM foods to be grown here, but not imported, correct?
Old 06-04-2012, 01:06 AM   #47
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

^Statistically, it is estimated that 70% of processed food contains genetically modified ingredients and 90 cents of every dollar spent on food at supermarkets is spent on processed food (includes soybeans, corn, potatoes, squash, canola oil, tomatoes).

Other important arguments against GE crops
-Adverse effect on biodiversity that reduces the number and variety of seeds (the rationale is that one disease could wipe out the whole strain).
-When a gene is introduced to make a crop herbicide resistant, it ends up with a three-fold increase in herbicide use resulting in greater pollution of our food and water

Of course, there are arguments in favor, but I will not get into this here as I am not super familiar with them. Anyone chime in? I'd love to learn more about the issue.

Cars:
02' Lexus IS300 5spd
07' BMW 323iA
05' BMW Z4 5spd
06' BMW 330i 6spd
10' Audi A4 quattro
08' BMW M3 6spd
15' Kawasaki Ninja300
08' Yamaha R6
10' Honda Ridgeline
17' Audi Q5
16' BMW X5D

bing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 06:54 AM   #48
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by saucywoman View Post
QFT... For those not in the know about gmo's and just how bad it is I would really recommend googling gmo's and Monsanto.. If people would just open their eyes and minds a little you'd be amazed with the shit going on
Take off the tinfoil hats please you two, you belong in the conspiracy theory thread.

First off, GM and GE are the future, like it or not. There is absolutely no way around it. And to be honest, it's pretty arrogant either of you are so self-entitled to think you deserve to personally eat from some natural unsustainable hobby farm at the expense of the rest of the world.

Every study (from a remotely reliable and credible source) into the health effects of GM foods has been at best inconclusive.

The corresponding organizations in every country (and swaths of research scientists) are doing their best at learning all they can about these foods every day, and as of right now we have the green light.

Find a more constructive use of your time.
Hurricane is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 06-05-2012, 03:17 PM   #49

It's arrogant for me to want to eat natural, unmodified foods? LOL! In 30 countries around the world, GMO's are banned or proposed to be banned. Many major companies such as Mcdonalds and Burger King refuse GMO corn and potato's. Your comment about every study into the health effects of GMO is just plain wrong.

In a study released by the International Journal of Biological Sciences, analyzing the effects of genetically modified foods on mammalian health, researchers found that Monsanto's GM corn is linked to organ damage in rats. There are 18 other studies that suggest the same thing. "Organizations are doing their best to learn about these foods"...so shouldn't we wait until they have done more research...ALOT more research until we put these things in our bodies? Perhaps they will prove to be safe, but we should not be the test subjects in the mean time.

Disagree if you want, but there is no reason to address me personally seeing as you know nothing about me or what I do with my time.
Old 06-05-2012, 03:32 PM   #50
My homepage has been set to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurricane View Post
all they can about these foods every day, and as of right now we have the green light.

Find a more constructive use of your time.

WE have the green light? Do you work for Monsanto or something?
4doorVIP is offline   Reply With Quote