REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 06-02-2012, 08:25 PM   #1
MiX iT Up!

Thanked 2,066 Times in 865 Posts
School me on car batteries

my battery died today and multiple people said it's time to replace (stock battery). stock mazda 3 gt. i've read online and it seems higher amps the better? by amps i mean the "cold cranking amps".

take me to school.

TIA
Advertisement

Sometimes we tend to be in despair when the person we love leaves us, but the truth is, it's not our loss, but theirs, for they left the only person who couldn't give up on them.

Make the effort and take the risk..

"Do what you feel in your heart to be right- for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't." - Eleanor Roosevelt
tiger_handheld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 08:30 PM   #2
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

optima yellowtop

/endthread
Old 06-02-2012, 08:36 PM   #3
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

look at the cold cranking amps (cca) and the reserve life (xxx mins) the higher the better and also the warranty period
hirevtuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 09:16 PM   #4
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Higher amp rating means the battery can pump out much for juice.
Cold cranking amperage is the amount of amperage the battery can pump out in 30 seconds at 0 degrees F.
Rating is there to help regular consumers choose the right battery for themselves.
Old 06-02-2012, 09:21 PM   #5
MiX iT Up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peturbo View Post
Higher amp rating means the battery can pump out much for juice.
Cold cranking amperage is the amount of amperage the battery can pump out in 30 seconds at 0 degrees F.
Rating is there to help regular consumers choose the right battery for themselves.

is it true that if i get a 800 CCA amp and the car is designed for 550CCA then the alternator will be "over used"?

Sometimes we tend to be in despair when the person we love leaves us, but the truth is, it's not our loss, but theirs, for they left the only person who couldn't give up on them.

"Do what you feel in your heart to be right- for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't." - Eleanor Roosevelt
Old 06-02-2012, 09:33 PM   #6
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 2,112 Times in 264 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger_handheld View Post
is it true that if i get a 800 CCA amp and the car is designed for 550CCA then the alternator will be "over used"?
if you are not increasing the load on your charging system ( IE external lights / subwoofers / amps ) then your alternator will not be "over used"

A battery only serves to power things when the engine is off, or when the alternator cannot handle the electrical load placed on it.
Volvo-brickster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 09:59 PM   #7
I don't get it

Basically, a battery is used to start the engine and once started, the alternator takes over, recharges the battery to full charge, and then runs the electrical system. It is also used to supply power when the engine is not running.

From my own experience, I won't use a really high CCA rated battery. If you take a certain size battery, say a 24F, there are different CCA ratings available, probably from about 650 to 1100 CCA's. The higher the CCA rating, the longer the lead plates are inside the battery case even though the external measurements remain the same. What happens, as the battery goes through it's discharge and recharge cycles, little flakes of the lead fall off the internal plates. They drop down to the bottom of the case and that's where the problem is located. Because the size of the lead plates are longer to up the CCA rating, there is less room for the little flakes to settle. Once they build up, they can short the plates and cause a dead cell.

I would stay away from the Optima's. The quality isn't there anymore. There are other spiral cell batteries made by other companies like Odyssey that have less problems. Talk to the guys at Battery World on Boundary and see what they say. If your car is stock, go with the same factory sized battery and you'll be happy.
sleepywheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 10:04 PM   #8
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
^Yeah, big CCA is overrated, especially with little four- and six-banger engines. Bigger engines that are harder to turn over, and those that have to start in extreme cold, will make use of that extra capacity, but like Peturbo says, it's not just the temp, but the amount of time it can provide that current: if your car is in good running condition and starts up right away, it should never need to crank anywhere near 30 seconds, even at 0F.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 11:45 PM   #9
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

If you're looking for a decent low-end battery, get one at Costco (Kirkland). If you google battery reviews, they have very good ratings and you can't beat the return policy.

Oh, and they have a way higher CCA than stock if that means anything.
heleu is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-03-2012, 12:09 AM   #10
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by heleu View Post
If you're looking for a decent low-end battery, get one at Costco (Kirkland). If you google battery reviews, they have very good ratings and you can't beat the return policy.

I bought mine a couple years before I moved away from home for about 3 years. When I came back it was more or less useless since it had been sitting for so long, so I took it back to Costco and got 70 dollars back even though it was beyond the warranty period. After that, I went ahead and spent another 20 dollars to get me a brand new battery at Costco and have had 0 problems with it since.
artmotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 12:23 AM   #11
2x Variable Nockenwellen Steuerung

Thanked 1,174 Times in 704 Posts
If you measure the OE battery ie WHD you can get the BCI battery size.. the battery size correlates with the amount of CCA, since in the end it is the battery volume that determins the CCA.

So first thing to do.. measure and determine your battery dimensions (where are your posts are oriented etc) and go from there. DO NOT randomly pick a battery, especially modern batteries in later model cars the battery are often in specifically designed cradle etc.
godwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 01:24 AM   #12
I don't get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepywheel View Post
Basically, a battery is used to start the engine and once started, the alternator takes over, recharges the battery to full charge, and then runs the electrical system. It is also used to supply power when the engine is not running.

From my own experience, I won't use a really high CCA rated battery. If you take a certain size battery, say a 24F, there are different CCA ratings available, probably from about 650 to 1100 CCA's. The higher the CCA rating, the longer the lead plates are inside the battery case even though the external measurements remain the same. What happens, as the battery goes through it's discharge and recharge cycles, little flakes of the lead fall off the internal plates. They drop down to the bottom of the case and that's where the problem is located. Because the size of the lead plates are longer to up the CCA rating, there is less room for the little flakes to settle. Once they build up, they can short the plates and cause a dead cell.

I would stay away from the Optima's. The quality isn't there anymore. There are other spiral cell batteries made by other companies like Odyssey that have less problems. Talk to the guys at Battery World on Boundary and see what they say. If your car is stock, go with the same factory sized battery and you'll be happy.
I second on optima battery had 2 within 3 year period , definitely not worth the money. A cheap battery would probably last longer.
VBP EP3 *sold*
Eros250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 08:09 AM   #13
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

Last edited by Corey Darling; 10-25-2014 at 06:59 PM.
Corey Darling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 08:37 AM   #14
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 4,795 Times in 1,762 Posts
The red top in my Mustang is about 6 years old and still working. When it sits for the winter, I might throw the charger on it once or twice if it's lucky.
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 08:42 AM   #15
MiX iT Up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by heleu View Post

So Kirkland batteries are good? I was skeptical because it was Kirkland. Also, the kirkland battery had 650CCA but he LxWxH of the battery seemed smaller than my current one(stock from mazda). Should I be concerned?

Quote:
Originally Posted by godwin View Post
If you measure the OE battery ie WHD you can get the BCI battery size.. the battery size correlates with the amount of CCA, since in the end it is the battery volume that determins the CCA.

So first thing to do.. measure and determine your battery dimensions (where are your posts are oriented etc) and go from there. DO NOT randomly pick a battery, especially modern batteries in later model cars the battery are often in specifically designed cradle etc.
Do I just take a take measure from terminal to terminal and terminal to bottom to get the W H D of my battery?

Also, what is meant by "direct fit"? is there non direct fit? I assume this is the WHD of the battery and "direct fit" = stock size?

Old 06-03-2012, 08:48 AM   #16
Better safe than Surrey

I would also stay away from Optima batteries. I had a red top that I killed by listening to music for too long and it doesn't have the same capacity since.

I've had much better luck with maintenance free batteries. They can withstand being flattened and will charge up no problems unlike Optima.

Quick rule of thumb: when comparing lead acid batteries from two different mfg, buy the heavier one. Heavier = more lead which in turn equals a better battery. (Does not apply to Absorbed glass mat-AGM batteries)

Last edited by OTG-ZR2; 06-04-2012 at 01:32 PM.
OTG-ZR2 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-03-2012, 10:15 AM   #17
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Never had issues with Can Tire batteries, and the replacement warranty is pretty decent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelonBoy View Post
really?.. some reason im afraid of taking shits after ghost movies.. i always think about what if a ghost's hand came out of the toilet and grabbed my nuts or stuck its hand in my ass -___________-.... i mean if it came outa the mirror id have reaction time to run but the toilets.. thats a pretty good blind spot to sneak up on people from -_____- ...
metal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 10:17 AM   #18
I bringith the lowerballerith

Optima batteries use to be really good when they were Swedish owned,then Interstate batteries bought them over and since then the quality has been going down hill.
spyker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 10:23 AM   #19
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

odyssey pc925 good enough for winter in Vancouver, slightly lighter than oem, can be fully discharged and recharged, awesome dry cell battery. i've accidentally left my lights on 3x fully discharging the battery. recharged it with a good charger, and its as good as if it were new. 5 years going strong.

can get it for around 220$ at polar battery in burnaby
ncrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 12:29 PM   #20
MiX iT Up!

my budget is $100 or less.
I can get OEM battery from dealer for $100+tax.

Old 06-03-2012, 01:12 PM   #21
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

Thanked 1,426 Times in 482 Posts
hit up polar battery on boundary
Fafine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 01:40 PM   #22
Professional Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyker View Post
Optima batteries use to be really good when they were Swedish owned,then Interstate batteries bought them over and since then the quality has been going down hill.
how recent was this? i have a yellow top from 3 or 4 years ago and it hasnt given me any problems at all
EX-R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 09:21 PM   #23

you measure the WHD of the battery (not the posts). There are usually several post configuration on the top on the side etc

Measure it, refer to this chart.. go to the store and buy..

BCI Battery Group Size Chart

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger_handheld View Post
Do I just take a take measure from terminal to terminal and terminal to bottom to get the W H D of my battery?

Also, what is meant by "direct fit"? is there non direct fit? I assume this is the WHD of the battery and "direct fit" = stock size?
Old 06-03-2012, 09:23 PM   #24

Optima battery has always been a Johnson product.. and Johnson is not Swedish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyker View Post
Old 06-03-2012, 09:26 PM   #25

It does not.. it is the surface area of the plates that makes the difference.. not the weight.. eg VRLA/AGM will have better performance and longevity over conventional ones.. but it is lighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTG-ZR2 View Post
Quick rule of thumb: when comparing the same battery from two different mfg, buy the heavier one. Heavier = more lead which in turn equals a better battery.