REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 06-12-2012, 04:03 PM   #26
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 1,314 Times in 540 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juwlzx View Post
To all the people who don't agree on people being re-examined every so often. Is 20 mins in your pitiful life really more important than the lives of thousands of others on the road that you could potentially harm or even kill? Fucking self centered bastards.
Because people jump on the "senior" bandwagon based on generalizations. In my daily observation from Highway 1 alone, bad driving is a problem for ALL age groups; not just seniors. Why do you think the cellphone ban was recently put in place? Was it because of seniors running a muck? No, it was us. And cellphones are just the tip of the iceberg for our age group.

If we're going by reputation alone. They should just fucking re-test everyone that's Chinese every 6 months. I'm sure this won't piss off anyone that's not Chinese.
Advertisement
Noir is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-12-2012, 04:30 PM   #27
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Thanked 1,120 Times in 280 Posts
^honestly i dont mind as long as i dont have to pay for it. if the majority of my race is causing the majority of the accidents, damages, deaths.. ill have no issues proving im not part of that statistic.
if i had it my way i would get rid of aircare and instead, id make a mandatory drivers retest every 2 years, and you pay 40 - 70 or whatever amount needed to cover the extra man power. once a year for anyone born before 91 at half the cost
duy- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 06:11 PM   #28
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

everyone should have to re-take the road exam when they renew their driver's license. I'm willing to take the time to do it and pay for it as it will make the roads safer.
tonyzoomzoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 06:21 PM   #29
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Someone should wear clothing that blends in with the wall of a parking stall, lets see if c lais know when they are parked
tarobbt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 07:48 PM   #30
Banned (ABWS)?

Thanked 3,650 Times in 1,520 Posts
While I like the re-testing idea, I think the tests itself are a problem.
People can pass with shitty parellel parking. And you only need to do it once anyway in a test.
People fluke it or get to try parking the car 20 times and then get a pass.

The mentality of defensive driving is kind of flawed. Because they are just telling people to drive slower instead of better.

It's funny, because I know a few acquaintances that can't drive well, scared to go over 45km/h,
took the test once or twice and never got behind the wheel again, etc.

And how the hell did they even pass??!

So much for stall parking when the stalls are big enough to fit two cars.
So wonder people park their cars 45 degrees and think it's OKAY.
Last edited by AzNightmare; Today at 10:09 AM
AzNightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 08:18 PM   #31
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Thanked 1,120 Times in 280 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzNightmare View Post
While I like the re-testing idea, I think the tests itself are a problem.
People can pass with shitty parellel parking. And you only need to do it once anyway in a test.
People fluke it or get to try parking the car 20 times and then get a pass.

The mentality of defensive driving is kind of flawed. Because they are just telling people to drive slower instead of better.

It's funny, because I know a few acquaintances that can't drive well, scared to go over 45km/h,
took the test once or twice and never got behind the wheel again, etc.

And how the hell did they even pass??!

So much for stall parking when the stalls are big enough to fit two cars.
So wonder people park their cars 45 degrees and think it's OKAY.
yeah... thanks for saying that actually... i had to teach one of my neighbors how to parallel park out of good will (actually i just got a new jdm bumper and ill be damned if she hits it). turns out she was never taught that the mirrors could be used to park. she used the braille method and when i told her about the mirrors, she was just downright astonished.. blew her fucking mind, even sent me cookies after

long story short, still cant park very well but at least better. how she got a license i may never know
duy- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 09:16 PM   #32
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 1,314 Times in 540 Posts
TBH, I'm going to admit that I probably need a re-test much more urgently than seniors, and I'll wager a lot of you don't realize it but you need it too.

It's not so much that my skills are terrible, nor am I even close to being a newb. It's really moreso that because I've been driving for well over a decade, I've accumulated so many bad habits that if I were to drive my "everyday style" during a test, I'd fail in the first 15 minutes.

edit:

Actually, lets make it within 1 minute. That's because I turn the engine on first, before the seatbelt even though I know better. lol
Noir is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-12-2012, 09:34 PM   #33
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

The test itself is just to prove if you can drive safe, but how many of us really drive that way after the test? Shouldn't the test be made to test how we drive normally everyday?
sekin67835 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 09:48 PM   #34
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,190 Times in 1,131 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by duy- View Post
yeah... thanks for saying that actually... i had to teach one of my neighbors how to parallel park out of good will (actually i just got a new jdm bumper and ill be damned if she hits it). turns out she was never taught that the mirrors could be used to park. she used the braille method and when i told her about the mirrors, she was just downright astonished.. blew her fucking mind, even sent me cookies after

long story short, still cant park very well but at least better. how she got a license i may never know
If she did the test with the instructor's car is really easy. I remember when I did mine with the instructor's car he put these little pot papers on the side mirrors and front as well. As long as the dot is on the side curb your parallel parking will be perfect everytime. Of coz that doesn't help the person but is sure an easy way lol.
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 10:17 PM   #35
Princess Dewey

i was in the area driving by wondering why their were 5-6 cop cars around an ugly station wagon that was parallel parked poorly. I didn't realize a lady had been killed, damn thats sad.
[05-03, 17:18] MPTness
if her age on the clock, she's too young for a cock

[12-03, 22:33] Amuro Ray
i was wearing women's clothing in my picture

[14-04, 00:16] Amuro Ray
i have hello kitty underwear

[14-04, 00:23] Amuro Ray
i find feet sexually exciting

[29-04, 00:21] Ri2
if i was a guy i'd just ejaculate on her face all up in her nose, mark yo territory like a beast

[14-05, 23:29] Ri2
i just watched japanese girls poop on each other for like 10 mins

Last edited by smarv; 06-12-2012 at 10:25 PM.
smarv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 10:43 PM   #36
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

We have a system where you could lose your license for not putting up an N sign, but you could have 3 accidents per year be OKAY as long as you pay them off (through premiums or with cash).
alpinestars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 10:56 PM   #37
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,190 Times in 1,131 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpinestars View Post
We have a system where you could lose your license for not putting up an N sign, but you could have 3 accidents per year be OKAY as long as you pay them off (through premiums or with cash).
That's coz ICBC wants your money lol.
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 11:18 AM   #38
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,178 Times in 924 Posts
I actually wouldn't mind doing a retest no matter what age group. It would get more idiots off the road.
JSALES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 11:21 AM   #39
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

If retest will prevent people driving like idiots then I am up for it as well.

Quick retest every 5 years when you have to renew your license or something.
i-VTEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 02:49 PM   #40
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

I once valeted a 70ish year old woman's volvo. On the dashboard were large stickers that said "Left" and "Right" with big arrows.

That was scary, considering she could speak English. This meant she was losing her memory. It wouldn't be a stretch for her to forget which one was gas or brake. The rules need to change.
static is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 05:14 PM   #41
Banned (ABWS)?

Thanked 3,650 Times in 1,520 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noir View Post
TBH, I'm going to admit that I probably need a re-test much more urgently than seniors, and I'll wager a lot of you don't realize it but you need it too.

It's not so much that my skills are terrible, nor am I even close to being a newb. It's really moreso that because I've been driving for well over a decade, I've accumulated so many bad habits that if I were to drive my "everyday style" during a test, I'd fail in the first 15 minutes.

edit:

Actually, lets make it within 1 minute. That's because I turn the engine on first, before the seatbelt even though I know better. lol

While I agree that having re-tests is a good idea, bad habits don't automatically mean bad driving. There's so many "good driving habits" that are just fundamentals for noobs, which aren't really necessary once a driver is more experienced, which is why they were "phased out" in the first place in a driver's habits. And then there are just some things that are there for idiot-proofing.

Examples are like failing a test for driving 55-60km/h. If a driver COULDN'T handle driving at 60km/h... I honestly don't think they even deserve to drive.

Like your example, turning on the engine first. If you failed for turning the engine on first before seatbelt, that's just stupid. The whole point of that is just to ensure people buckle up before they start driving. If people just buckle up before driving, do the order of events prior to the vehicle being in motion really matter?

And even if you say you've accumulated so many "bad habits", I'll give you the benefit of the doubt you're not accident prone. If that's the case, your so-called "bad habits" would actually be pretty good habits, no?

Don't get me wrong though. Some drivers do develop REALLY BAD and dangerous habits, and should be off the road.
Which is why I don't mind re-tests. But I seriously hate the way these tests are set up, and their criteria to pass.
Last edited by AzNightmare; Today at 10:09 AM
AzNightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 05:25 PM   #42
I am on the internets

I just learned today that this woman was my best friend's mother and our close family friend.

She leaves behind two daughters. I have no other details at this time.
maxx is offline   Reply With Quote