REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Closed Thread

Old 05-06-2013, 08:55 AM   #15901
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Why would you rebuild a team that was third in the conference

Be logical.

The Sedins will still be here next season, AV will not, loungo will be gone.

MG will get one more season. ( i never liked him , erhoff was a big part of this team, they should of payed him)

Those are my predictions.
Advertisement
This post thanked by:
Old 05-06-2013, 08:57 AM   #15902
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 4,793 Times in 1,761 Posts
The canucks seem to have the same thing happening to them as happened to Calgary & Edmonton after they lost their cup runs in 04 & 06.

A slow downward spiral.

It seems like our "Core" is nothing without some of the supporting cast we had in 2011.
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Old 05-06-2013, 09:02 AM   #15903
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiceIntegraRS View Post
im not gonna lie, the Sharks have had the edge in this series. but i think being dominated is abit of a stretch. Take the PPs away and this is a totally different series. If the Sedins showup and Edler Hamhuis stop playing like shit they maybe we can have a better chance. Cause last thing i remember it takes 4 games to win a series.
if the canucks were a team with drive and determination, sure they might pull off the 2010 flyers but i don't see enough fight from this group.
Old 05-06-2013, 09:04 AM   #15904
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,487 Times in 1,686 Posts
What makes the Canucks' playoff performance even more depressing to watch is to know that other Canadian teams like the hated Leafs, and the Senators are doing way better than our team.

Old 05-06-2013, 09:13 AM   #15905

Thanked 5,474 Times in 2,095 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pastarocket View Post
What makes the Canucks' playoff performance even more depressing to watch is to know that other Canadian teams like the hated Leafs, and the Senators are doing way better than our team.

Fun fact:

Do you know what the Leafs and Sens have in common? (Besides better playoff success compared to the Canucks)

Spoiler!

In all seriousness, AV's time is done. He's been using the same game plan since 2010. Teams have figured the Canucks out and he hasn't adapted/change his strategy.
Old 05-06-2013, 09:21 AM   #15906
Rs has made me the man i am today!

The window of opportunity i believe is closed now
Old 05-06-2013, 09:53 AM   #15907
JDMEK9Mod | DogWhisperer

Thanked 5,259 Times in 1,623 Posts
I believe the stat is teams being down 3-0 in NHL Playoff history are 3-169. Be optimistic all you want, it's over. Yes, we all want a miracle to happen but realistically..... yeah.
Spoiler!
Old 05-06-2013, 09:58 AM   #15908
Willing to sell a family member for a few minutes on RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
The window of opportunity i believe is closed now
agreed
Old 05-06-2013, 10:05 AM   #15909

What would you do if you were the Canucks GM for one day?

This would be my "To Do" List" as GM for a day:

1) Fire AV asap.

2) Hire a coach who has a playing system, a playing philosophy that helps players play a winning brand of playoff hockey.

3) Spend some time to think long and hard about whether the leaders of this team, your Captain Henrik and his brother, are the players who can help you win a Stanley Cup.

4) Continue talking with other GMs in order to find out what offers are being made for trading Luongo. Trade Luuu in the offseason.

5) Talk to Aquilini to see if he would be okay with the Canucks rebuilding part of their core players (the first line). Hear what the boss has to say about a rebuild of the team in terms of the offense, and a tweak of the defence.

6) Talk to Henrik and Daniel about my intention to trade them. The Sedins have no-movement clauses on their contracts.

7) Go over the entire roster of forwards to determine which players I want to re-sign. Derek Roy? Get rid of Raymond? Look at signing players or making trades via Luongo to addscoring depth to this team.

8) Try to acquire a top 6 defenceman as part of Luongo trade (Ballard gets shipped out too) in order to lower Edler's playing time. We need a veteran defenceman to bolster our defence.

Let's face it. The Sedins are not at their prime anymore. After watching the twins in the past two years in the playoffs, I am not convinced that these guys have the heart, or the ability to elevate their game in the playoffs when it matters the most.

The Canucks face a similar situation like the Flyers. Philly GM Mike Holmgren had a tough decision to make: keep Mike Richards and Jeff Carter to continue the Dry Island party, or trade them? Okay, the Philly trade helped the Kings win a Cup but the Flyers got good, young forwards in return for the trade.

Perhaps it's time to consider trading the Sedins to build a new identity, a new offensive system for the Canucks. Trade up while the players have value.

Last edited by pastarocket; 05-06-2013 at 11:09 AM.
Old 05-06-2013, 10:08 AM   #15910

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoon.ek9 View Post
I believe the stat is teams being down 3-0 in NHL Playoff history are 3-169. Be optimistic all you want, it's over. Yes, we all want a miracle to happen but realistically..... yeah.
The stats are 3/172 for the teams that come back from 0-3 deficit to win a playoff series in 7 games. A lousy 1.7% success rate.
Old 05-06-2013, 10:11 AM   #15911
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,118 Times in 530 Posts
I think everyone has underestimated the importance of Salo to the team. Yeah he was slow, old, and injury prone. But this guy gives the Sedins a good first pass, threat on the point, and he just calms the team down.

2011 Cup Lineup

Sedins- Alex Burrows
Higgins - Kesler - Raymond / Samuelsson
Torres - Lapierre - Hansen
Glass - Malhotra - Oreskovich

Hamhuis - Bieksa
Edler - Salo
Rome- Ehrhoff

Roberto Luongo

2013 line up

Sedins - Burrows
Higgins - Kesler - Hansen
Raymond - Roy - Kassian
Sestito - Lapierre - Weise

Edler Garrison
Hamhuis Bieksa
Alberts Corrado

Luongo/Schneider

Honestly...line up pretty similar I suppose BUT the big thing that jumped out is our D is much weaker without Salo and Ehrhoff especially when our number 1 D in Edler isn't playing well.
This post thanked by:
Old 05-06-2013, 10:13 AM   #15912

Thanked 5,474 Times in 2,095 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by highfive View Post
I think everyone has underestimated the importance of Salo to the team. Yeah he was slow, old, and injury prone. But this guy gives the Sedins a good first pass, threat on the point, and he just calms the team down.
LOL SALO? wut

You basically just summed up what Ehrhoff did for the Canucks
Old 05-06-2013, 11:05 AM   #15913
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

D is our problem, you can't win without good defensive pairings. Championship in team sports are won with team defence.
Old 05-06-2013, 11:07 AM   #15914
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,060 Times in 1,180 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by madeintaiwan View Post
D is our problem, you can't win without good defensive pairings. Championship in team sports are won with team defence.
I think our inability to score goals is a bigger problem than our defense...
Honest to fucking Christ the easiest way to get a married woman in the mood is clean the house and do the laundry.....I've been with the same girl almost 17 years, ask me how I know. - quasi
This post thanked by:
Old 05-06-2013, 11:09 AM   #15915
...in the world.

Thanked 7,636 Times in 2,321 Posts
Edler usually made the breakout pass, not Salo. Salo was the more stay-at-home of the two when he played with Edler, which resulted in a lot of trailing one-timers for the guy when he did jump up on the play.

Salo was the perfect partner for Edler, even better than Ehrhoff, because it allowed Edler to be high risk, high reward. Now that no one is covering for him, all we see is the high risk. I think of Edler, despite the fact that he's got a pretty hard shot, as more of a passer. Guy needs a right-handed shot parter that's solid on D.

I would prefer to trade Edler in the off-season for a right-handed puck mover to match with Garrison, who I think, now that he's calmed down, has one of the craziest shots the Canucks have ever had in the lineup. Salo may have shot harder but Garrison shoots quicker and seems to be able to get that velocity on his shot in any situation.

Bieksa/Hammer = shutdown
Garrison/D = offense
Tanev/Corrado/Whatever = third, cheap pairing to open up some cap space elsewhere.
Old 05-06-2013, 11:55 AM   #15916
JDMEK9Mod | DogWhisperer

Thanked 5,259 Times in 1,623 Posts
oh how i wish we still had pre-injury malhotra for those defense zone face offs.. ehrhoff, salo, torres.. those were the days
Spoiler!
This post thanked by:
Old 05-06-2013, 12:05 PM   #15917
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 1,057 Times in 429 Posts
Old 05-06-2013, 12:27 PM   #15918
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

^^So much win^^

Just heard this on the Team 1040 and it's so true: "you either have to be a high scoring team or tough to play against and the Canucks are neither.

During the off-season, Canucks are not the type of franchise that will clean house. Maybe AV will be fired to bring in a new voice, but they need to start refreshing the core. After next season, Sedins' contract ends. Do they get extensions? I can't see them being traded. It just seems its one of those things where they've been so good to the franchise and Gillis is loyal to them. Will be hard to bring in new talent if you don't have chips to trade with.

I think Roy and Raymond will go UFA and Luongo gets traded, but it will be tough to bring back core type players. They need to start stocking up first round picks. It is inexcusable that they didn't have a pick in the first 3 rounds of the 2010 draft. I understand you can't always draft the likes of what Detroit has in late rounds, but other teams have gotten lucky. The Canes drafted Justin Faulk in the 2nd round. Look at what rookies are doing for their respective teams like the Habs (Gallagher), Hawks (Saad). These guys weren't even fucking first round picks and they've developed very nicely. Gallagher was a 5th round pick, and Saad was taken 43th overall.

Whens the last time a low draft pick made the Canucks opening day roster? Granted Canucks have been a veteran team, they need new scouts.

Last edited by MR_BIGGS; 05-06-2013 at 12:54 PM.
Old 05-06-2013, 12:36 PM   #15919
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,587 Times in 631 Posts
Wow....all within 3 fucking games......wow....
This post thanked by:
Old 05-06-2013, 12:58 PM   #15920

Quote:
‏@VanCanucks 12m
Optional #Canucks practice today, six skaters and all three goalies on the ice. Alain Vigneault will speak shortly.
lol optional practice? AND only 6 skaters show? Looks like the team has thrown in the towel too. I'm sure if it was a different coach, it would have been a mandatory bag skate for how bag they've been.
Old 05-06-2013, 01:12 PM   #15921

Latest Canucks tweet: "We haven't beaten this team once this year, we have to believe now that we can beat them one time" - Alain Vigneault #Canucks

That's right AV. You can say that the team must beat the Sharks one time. It won't matter because it only delays the inevitable.

It would take the comeback victory of the century for this team to beat the Sharks.
Old 05-06-2013, 01:14 PM   #15922
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 3,842 Times in 879 Posts
So what if we make a comeback and beat sharks... we just gonna lose in the 2nd round anyways.
Old 05-06-2013, 01:26 PM   #15923
manage the cap you say????

Thanked 3,613 Times in 1,181 Posts
Let's just get swept...

jesus

\\ ______
  \(ಠ益ಠ)
   >  ヽ
   /   へ\
   /  / \\
   レ ノ   ヽ_つ ayyy lmao
  / /
  / /|
 ( (ヽ
 | |、\
 | 丿 \ ⌒)
 | |  ) /
`ノ )  Lノ
Old 05-06-2013, 01:26 PM   #15924
My homepage has been set to RS

Been saying this for two years.. Why bieksa over ehrhoff?
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 05-06-2013, 01:34 PM   #15925
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,459 Times in 1,126 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKam View Post
lol optional practice? AND only 6 skaters show? Looks like the team has thrown in the towel too. I'm sure if it was a different coach, it would have been a mandatory bag skate for how bag they've been.
Bag skates are pointless at this time of year. They're a veteran club. The Canucks are simply not good enough.

And re: scouts...Stan Smyl and Ron Delorme need to go. The only scout worth keeping is Thomas Gradin. Clean the house - top to bottom.
Posted via RS Mobile
Closed Thread