REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Closed Thread

Old 07-30-2012, 12:41 PM   #2401
...in the world.

Thanked 7,636 Times in 2,321 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by seakrait View Post
Depends on the company advertising, no?

MLS Philadelphia Union soccer jersey
Spoiler!

Bimbo? Lol. But: Bimbo Bakeries USA - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Well, obviously the corporate logo has to be aesthetically pleasing. For example, the Whitecaps jersey looks great and the Bell logo doesn't take anything away from it.

And it's not like a lot of sports teams logos are much better. Buffaslug or Vodaphone?
Advertisement
Old 07-30-2012, 12:50 PM   #2402
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Bjugstad is a 6-foot-5, 215-pound centre that scored 42 points in 40 games last season with the Minnesota Golden Gophers. I can see why Tallon is reluctant to trade the kid. I agree though, one of either Hubedreau or Bjugstad has to come back this way if Gillis deals with Florida. Howden doesn't have the same appeal right now.
Old 07-30-2012, 01:20 PM   #2403
...in the world.

Hubedreau, Gudbranson, Bjugstad or Markstrom.

Don't care which. All are primetime prospects and NHL ready if not next year, the year after that.

If we don't get one of those dudes for Lu (or some other ridiculous awesome deal), then that will be MG's first major fail.
This post thanked by:
Old 07-30-2012, 02:03 PM   #2404

Thanked 5,474 Times in 2,095 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin View Post
Hubedreau, Gudbranson, Bjugstad or Markstrom.

Don't care which. All are primetime prospects and NHL ready if not next year, the year after that.

If we don't get one of those dudes for Lu (or some other ridiculous awesome deal), then that will be MG's first major fail.
Agreed...except we don't really need Markstrom lol

Considering there's Schneider and Lack...
Old 07-30-2012, 02:05 PM   #2405
Big Drama Show

Thanked 3,080 Times in 1,195 Posts
So we trade for Markstrom just to be faced with a similar situation in a couple years? Makes sense
This post thanked by:
Old 07-30-2012, 02:32 PM   #2406
...in the world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayare604 View Post
So we trade for Markstrom just to be faced with a similar situation in a couple years? Makes sense
Yes, because having 2 #1 quality goalies is a TERRIBLE situation.

The problem with having Lu and Schneider is that Schneider is ready to be a #1 AND he's in a contract year. . Markstrom isn't proven at the NHL level, 22, with a year left on a ELC that he isn't likely to get a big raise on unless he's lights out or receives a contract sheet. Is incubating another Cory Schneider a bad thing to you? Maybe Markstrom is better at 26 when Cory is 30 and we're here again IN FOUR YEARS but acquiring talent in any form is never a bad thing. Might even bring a little more value with a Lack trade.

I agree that a skater + Theodore is a better deal but saying no to Markstrom (who, now that Cory, Lindback, Bernier have NHL spots, is probably the best goaltending prospect in the NHL right now) for Lu because we have Schneider would be stupid.
Old 07-30-2012, 02:40 PM   #2407
Big Drama Show

Thanked 3,080 Times in 1,195 Posts
Having 2 #1 goalies really helped us this season, didn't it? IMO, if we get offered Markstrom straight up or Lu, i'd turn that deal down. Unless we can flip Markstrom and get a good return.
This post thanked by:
Old 07-30-2012, 02:47 PM   #2408
...in the world.

Are we really going to blame the playoffs on the goaltending again? Because the way I saw it we couldn't score goals.

Markstrom wouldn't be a #1 goalie. I don't know why you think he'll be starting even 30 games. He is completely unproven at the NHL level.

It depends on how Gillis wants to play this. If he wants immediate return, he'll turn down Markstrom because the idea would be to load up now. However, if he takes a top goalie prospect, the idea would be to develop him and then trade him (or Schneider) a few years down the road when this Canucks team will look VERY different as the core will be in their mid-30s. Gillis could bet on Markstrom being amazing and we could trade for a lottery pick or a new young core player for the coming rebuild.

The way I see it, the Canucks aren't dealing from a position of strength anymore now that Toronto and Florida are potentially the last destinations for Luongo now that teams like the Lightning are completely out. Dealing for another bluechipper like Markstrom can't be a bad thing...every team in the league would deal for the guy while only two will deal for Lu.
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 07-30-2012, 03:03 PM   #2409
Fabulous Rugby Quad Sports Mod

Those on the Shane Doan watch:

Doan has price tag in mind - The Globe and Mail

4 years, 7 mil per? Who else thinks the price is right but the cost is way too much? Remember he's 35+ so if he retires or we release him before it ends I believe we're still on the hook for all 7 million for the rest of the contract. Sorry if reposted.

Last edited by RacingMetro92; 07-30-2012 at 03:15 PM.
Old 07-30-2012, 03:18 PM   #2410
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 2,558 Times in 925 Posts
realistically florida panthers doesnt need luongo... they made the playoffs last season and won the division. Soon their prospects will lead the southeast division for a long time.

Weiss, Hubedreau, Versteeg
Fleishmen Bjugstad Howden
Upshall wolski bergenhiem

Campbell, Gudbranson, kulikov, ellerby, jovo

Markstrom
Old 07-30-2012, 03:33 PM   #2411
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Earl View Post
realistically florida panthers doesnt need luongo... they made the playoffs last season and won the division. Soon their prospects will lead the southeast division for a long time.

Markstrom
Adding Lu would make them that much better. Markstrom is still unknown and still a prospect. If they're serious about winning any time soon Lu is the answer.
Old 07-30-2012, 03:39 PM   #2412

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin View Post
Markstrom wouldn't be a #1 goalie. I don't know why you think he'll be starting even 30 games. He is completely unproven at the NHL level.

It depends on how Gillis wants to play this. If he wants immediate return, he'll turn down Markstrom because the idea would be to load up now. However, if he takes a top goalie prospect, the idea would be to develop him and then trade him (or Schneider) a few years down the road when this Canucks team will look VERY different as the core will be in their mid-30s. Gillis could bet on Markstrom being amazing and we could trade for a lottery pick or a new young core player for the coming rebuild.
The thing is, we need immediate help NOW, not unproven talent.

It's also bad asset management to "bet on him being amazing". For all we know, he could be the next DiPietro.
Old 07-30-2012, 03:47 PM   #2413

For anyone that is bored of this slow off season...

Old 07-30-2012, 04:07 PM   #2414
ESKETIT

Thanked 9,648 Times in 2,303 Posts
woo i was there for the first 3 goals
Old 07-30-2012, 05:14 PM   #2415
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,121 Times in 531 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Earl View Post

Markstrom

They barely won the division.

This upcoming season, they would have to face a much stronger competition.

Washington would not underachieve like last year.
Tampa is better with stronger goaltending from Linnback.
Carolina - Jordan Stall, Semin.

Putting Markstrom down as your #1 goaltender and thinking you can win a division is like saying putting Eddie Lack in and we can win the NW.
This post thanked by:
Old 07-30-2012, 06:04 PM   #2416
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

It's almost sad how us Canuck fans are trying to convince ourselves that Florida actually needs Luongo. Luongo isn't the only goalie in the NHL. If Florida wants a goalie, why don't they go after Kipper? He's old but he's only got 2 years left on his contract and played very well last year. Why not go after Halak? With Elliott playing so well last year, Halak might be available. I'm sure either Feaster or Armstrong will trade their goalie for one or two of Florida's awesome prospects. Why would they give up the same propects to Vancouver for a 33 year old who's got 10 years left on his contract?
Old 07-30-2012, 06:33 PM   #2417
Pull Out Towing. Women rescued for free.

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,283 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blah_Teggie View Post
It's almost sad how us Canuck fans are trying to convince ourselves that Florida actually needs Luongo. Luongo isn't the only goalie in the NHL. If Florida wants a goalie, why don't they go after Kipper? He's old but he's only got 2 years left on his contract and played very well last year. Why not go after Halak? With Elliott playing so well last year, Halak might be available. I'm sure either Feaster or Armstrong will trade their goalie for one or two of Florida's awesome prospects. Why would they give up the same propects to Vancouver for a 33 year old who's got 10 years left on his contract?
While I agree with you on most of what you said, there is no way in Heck that Elliot is a number 1 goalie and the blues trading away Halak. At best, Elliot is a 1b after last year's performance but he has always been a #2 goalie.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu1413 View Post
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
Old 07-30-2012, 06:40 PM   #2418
JDMEK9Mod | DogWhisperer

Thanked 5,276 Times in 1,632 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeedee View Post
For anyone that is bored of this slow off season...

Vancouver Canucks - All Goals 2011-12 Regular Season - YouTube
i think my fav play was Bieksa's diving save followed by the stanchion bounce and game winning goal
Spoiler!
Old 07-30-2012, 06:43 PM   #2419

If i was tallon I wouldnt trade Bjugstad or Huberdeau in a deal for luongo. Id much rather constantly have wet dreams thinking about what they will be doing together for the next 5-10 years.
Old 07-30-2012, 07:59 PM   #2420
My homepage has been set to RS

^

Seeing how they both play centre.. nothing? Haha.

I don't necessarily think Florida NEEDS Lu, but they definitely want him and Tallon thinks highly of him. Markstrom may be a great goalie one day, but right now he is unproven and also has battled injuries - KNEE injuries this early in his career. Coupled with the fact that he is unproven and I wouldn't put all my eggs in that basket.
Old 07-30-2012, 08:33 PM   #2421

More teams will be interested in Luongo when the season is underway. Lots of teams have goalies that played well last year after not playing well in past seasons or not being proven in past seasons. If they don't bring the same result next season, having the chance to trade for an elite goalie may be in those team's cards.
Old 07-30-2012, 08:46 PM   #2422
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR_BIGGS View Post
More teams will be interested in Luongo when the season is underway. Lots of teams have goalies that played well last year after not playing well in past seasons or not being proven in past seasons. If they don't bring the same result next season, having the chance to trade for an elite goalie may be in those team's cards.
Yes but have you forgotten about Luongo's NTC? If he dosen't waive it for those teams it won't matter how many teams want him. They're not gonna get him!
Old 07-30-2012, 09:10 PM   #2423

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blah_Teggie View Post
Yes but have you forgotten about Luongo's NTC? If he dosen't waive it for those teams it won't matter how many teams want him. They're not gonna get him!
Yes I forgot about his NTC.
Old 07-30-2012, 09:13 PM   #2424
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 1,057 Times in 429 Posts
^ as soon as the season starts, i think Lu will be alil more open to where he goes. Somewhere in the state of Florida or a winner. Not some shithole.
Old 07-30-2012, 10:18 PM   #2425
(╯°□°)╯聽不到 ╮(°□°╮)

Thanked 11,196 Times in 2,276 Posts
onto tabloid news.. haha
Douglas Murray is a lucky man

Quote:

After her super duper justified divorce from Tiger Woods, you could understand why Elin Nordegren might be looking for a stay-at-home type in her next relationship.
San Jose Sharks' defender Douglas Murray just so happens to be that type. And if the Swedish gossip site Expressen is to be believed, Nordegren has noticed; the two are reportedly dating. From Showbiz Spy:
Elin and Doug were spotted together last week at Rose Nightclub in Stockholm where eyewitnesses said they were hugging and being affectionate with each other.
Elin and Doug had dinner at the beginning of July with Swedish pro golfer Jesper Parnevik — who is also said to have played matchmaker for Elin and Tiger.
Nordegren has to have some serious courage to trust Parnevik a second time. If Murray doesn't work out, she needs to never listen to him again.
According to Murray, the pair aren't together. "We are only friends," Murray told Expressen. "We are not dating and we have never dated. We have friends in common and we have only known each other for a couple of weeks."
Yeah okay sure. Moving on.
Before you get it into your heads, Murray is not the first person to date Nordegren since her split from Tiger Woods. According to this gossip magazine I sometimes read at the dentist, Jamie Dingman braved that frontier before the two broke up in May of 2011.
A source tells Us Weekly that the ex-wife of Tiger Woods, who began dating wealthy finance investor Jamie Dingman in early 2011, has called things off with her beau.
"He's a really fun, exciting guy and she needed that, but she wants someone more stable for the kids now," the source says. "She's back to casually dating."
Well, good call on going with Murray then, because guys don't get much more stable than he is. At 6'3", 240 lbs, the man is practically an immovable object.
They have a lot in common too. Both are Swedish. Both are 32. Both only pick up a golf club when something's gone wrong. Plus, by dating a Shark, Nordegren doesn't have to worry that the guy's personality will be poisoned by a steady stream of championships.
s/t to Let's Go Sharks.
Heres another shot of the new winger
Closed Thread