REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Closed Thread

Old 03-11-2013, 01:55 PM   #9901
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 2,485 Times in 1,007 Posts
Schneider isnt panning out like a #1 goalie.. What happen to him??
Advertisement
Old 03-11-2013, 01:59 PM   #9902
Banned (ABWS)?

Thanked 3,984 Times in 1,689 Posts
How long should we wait? or do we just have the worst of luck.
Cause in the end, we just have a bag full of excuses and no results.
Should we give every player 2-3 seasons to "pan out" before we admit things didn't work out?

At the same time, It's AV's fault for not getting players to play up to potential.
This could just be a bad slump that's being amplified in a short season.
But the way I see our future with AV being the coach,
none of our young guys are going to develop properly under his coaching.
Last edited by AzNightmare; Today at 10:09 AM
Old 03-11-2013, 02:04 PM   #9903

Thanked 5,474 Times in 2,095 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzNightmare View Post
How long should we wait? or do we just have the worst of luck.
Cause in the end, we just have a bag full of excuses and no results.
Should we give every player 2-3 seasons to "pan out" before we admit things didn't work out?
That's the thing with power forwards like Kassian. They're notoriously tough to develop but if they make it they are extremely valuable.

Look at the David Backes', Milan Lucic's and Jamie Benn's of the league. They're extremely tough to acquire and unlikely to be available.

High risk; high reward in Kassian being able to pan out
Old 03-11-2013, 02:13 PM   #9904
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 2,558 Times in 925 Posts
Gillis addressed all the concerns we needed to fill in the void but those players just haven't lived up to expectations. Maybe they just need a new coach to light a fire under their ass like Sutter did to the kings. Schneider needs to be traded by this deadline, like it or not.

Sup Adam Henrique former teammate of Kassian from Winsor Spitfires also won the Memorial Cup.
Old 03-11-2013, 02:20 PM   #9905
My homepage has been set to RS

Some interesting comments from the players. Obviously they know something is wrong, and obviously they're frustrated.

From Daniel:

Quote:
"We’re playing the game we love and it seems right now we’re not enjoying it out there," Daniel said. "It shouldn’t be this way."

"It sounds ridiculous, but that is about urgency, that’s about getting pucks deep, and getting speed to get behind them," Daniel said. "If you don’t get any speed, it’s impossible. We had one guy in on the forecheck, of course nothing was going to happen.

"We have to get all three guys in there. That’s what happens when you’re playing like we are right now. We’re standing still too much. We have to get speed, get going and get every guy contributing."
Booth:

Quote:
"I was thinking about LA last year and they went through a stretch where they weren’t playing too well. They didn’t even know if they were making the playoffs. Then, they get on a roll, guys start playing and then they have an identity. I think we have to get an identity.

"Each line needs to get a different role and we all need to embrace those roles."
Sounds to me like the guys don't feel the systems that they're using are working anymore. IE: the systems that AV is implementing and not changing/adapting. You don't often hear the Sedins come out publicly and express their frustration, so I think that's something to pay attention to.
Old 03-11-2013, 03:01 PM   #9906
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,118 Times in 530 Posts
We were so close in acquiring Backes back in the day.

Imagine if we did..
Old 03-11-2013, 03:06 PM   #9907

Quote:
Originally Posted by highfive View Post
We were so close in acquiring Backes back in the day.

Imagine if we did..
I sure can;

Alternate Reality: Captain David Backes? | CanucksArmy

Fun read though

Last edited by jeedee; 03-11-2013 at 03:13 PM.
Old 03-11-2013, 03:16 PM   #9908
manage the cap you say????

Thanked 3,613 Times in 1,181 Posts
Backes would of been fuckin awesome

AV not utilizing his players in ways that they're most effective must be the story of the season, its gotten to the point where I'm not even frustrated anymore..

Laissez-faire and it'll be alright... right?

#AVLogic

\\ ______
  \(ಠ益ಠ)
   >  ヽ
   /   へ\
   /  / \\
   レ ノ   ヽ_つ ayyy lmao
  / /
  / /|
 ( (ヽ
 | |、\
 | 丿 \ ⌒)
 | |  ) /
`ノ )  Lノ
Old 03-11-2013, 03:19 PM   #9909
In RS I Trust

Thanked 17,581 Times in 4,297 Posts
I'm not concerned or worried, if we bomb we bomb and changes will happen cause we need it and at least the up coming draft runs really deep.
Old 03-11-2013, 03:20 PM   #9910

For anyone who hasn't read this yet; from yesterday:

Quote:
Elliott Pap ‏@ElliottPap

Canuck coach AV on making PP guys do 10 pushups if not enough shots or puck retrievals in drill: "It turned out be a little bit of fun."
brb making PP guys do 10 pushups; that'll SUUUUURELY fix the PP

What a joke of a coach/coaching staff
Old 03-11-2013, 03:22 PM   #9911
Big Drama Show

Thanked 3,080 Times in 1,195 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeedee View Post
Funny you say that.

Cause Hodgson doesn't have strong defense. Remember that Detroit game last year where we snapped their home streak? Sure he scored a goal in that game but was on for 2 goals against.

Sure the kid's talented, but he can't play defense for shit. Its being shown in Buffalo too. He's putting up goals and great numbers but getting scored against.

You can look at his +/- and say "but he's just a -4". Sure, but remember his GF/being on the ice for the + "balances it out".

There's some stat out there that he's last for worst GA for a forward.

He looks like he could be used for the Canucks second line, but he would've predicted Kesler would have off season injury, then RE-INJURE his foot and be out 4-6 weeks again? Certainly not Gillis.
Strong this.

I don't know why he's projected as a "2-way centre." The kid has shown he can't play in his own zone.
Old 03-11-2013, 04:00 PM   #9912
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Do you guys think corsi is good for analysis? I was looking at corsi stats for hodgson and they do not look that bad. When I saw chicago players, I noticed that Bolland and Hjalmarsson were facing the toughest competition, which surprised me cuz Keith and Seabrook were the top pairing.
Old 03-11-2013, 04:04 PM   #9913
In RS I Trust

Thanked 17,581 Times in 4,297 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FerrariEnzo View Post
Schneider isnt panning out like a #1 goalie.. What happen to him??
When the team in front of you is falling a part what do you expect? He's still playing great and making saves but he can't do everything. No questions the two #1's is hard on him as well. It's not Schneiders fault at all and really right now it's on Gillis's head and he needs to address this really quick
This post thanked by:
Old 03-11-2013, 04:04 PM   #9914

did someone say we should have signed ehrhoff again, meaning match that buffalo contract? also someone suggested not signing edler again?
holy fuck this is turning into cdc fast.
Old 03-11-2013, 04:05 PM   #9915
kwy
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,715 Times in 595 Posts
Bolland isnt a defenseman..
Old 03-11-2013, 05:07 PM   #9916
MOD

Thanked 7,553 Times in 1,957 Posts

11:41 Ottawa fighting - 5 min P. Wiercioch drawn by A. McQuaid
11:41 Boston fighting - 5 min A. McQuaid drawn by P. Wiercioch
11:41 Ottawa instigator - face shield - 2 min P. Wiercioch drawn by A. McQuaid served by M. Stone
11:41 Ottawa spearing - 5 min P. Wiercioch
11:41 Ottawa instigator - 2 min P. Wiercioch drawn by A. McQuaid
11:41 Boston boarding - 2 min A. McQuaid drawn by C. Neil

Gh0stRider's Buy & Sell Feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieH View Post
whole time i thought gh0strider was white lol

Old 03-11-2013, 05:32 PM   #9917
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwy View Post
Bolland isnt a defenseman..
I was suggesting Bolland that plays against tougher competition than Seabrook and Keith, according to the corsi ratings.
Old 03-11-2013, 05:36 PM   #9918
(╯°□°)╯聽不到 ╮(°□°╮)

Thanked 11,193 Times in 2,275 Posts
Quote:

I did read that, if anything, this is just more team bonding, finding ways to get the guys motivated
nothing wrong with this

Just like in an office environment, team building
Old 03-11-2013, 05:51 PM   #9919
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

Quote:

LOL these were the things I had to do back in high school... Honestly I think AV has finally fallen out of favour with the team. Maybe it's time to bring in a new coach to light a fire under the team?
Old 03-11-2013, 06:28 PM   #9920
Waxin’ Punks

Thanked 6,041 Times in 2,076 Posts
Quote:

Coaches do stuff like this in sports all over the world. Going back to the fundamentals of what gave you a #1 ranked PP and making players do repetitive sequences with punishment until they do it right.. I kind of feel stupid even having to explain it.. this actually will HELP the PP. He obviously sees some lazy play out there and is drilling in their heads that it is not acceptable.

Your comment about him smiling before the game and then its gone after they got scored on in 24 seconds calling him a goof. Wouldn't he be more of a goof if he were still smiling? I read that and . I understand you might be thinking the Canucks are losing, not a good time to joke around but that's AV. We've all seen that he has a sense of humour and as a guy with a sense of humour myself, who has had a laugh at inappropriate times, I say give the guy a break there Captain Serious.

I think your hatred is misdirected and clouding your judgment. AV is a damn good coach and, no offense, but YOU HAVE NO FUCKING CLUE WHAT GOES ON BEHIND THE SCENES. None of us do. All we know is what we see on TV. Do you seriously think he'd be able to keep his job (in the NHL where the go to move for most franchises is firing coaches) this long if he just chewed gum?

People called for his head when the Canucks had an 11 game losing streak. Then they went to the Finals. Point is, shit happens and great teams overcome challenges like this. I still believe in Blue and think getting emotional, shooting from the hip and firing a good coach like Vigneault would be a mistake. Especially in a shortened season.

/2 cents

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG1 View Post
punkwax, I don't care what your friends say about you, you are gold!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemhg View Post
What do your farts sound like then?
This post thanked by:
Old 03-11-2013, 06:43 PM   #9921

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodnarb View Post
All we know is what we see on TV. Do you seriously think he'd be able to keep his job (in the NHL where the go to move for most franchises is firing coaches) this long if he just chewed gum?

People called for his head when the Canucks had an 11 game losing streak. Then they went to the Finals. Point is, shit happens and great teams overcome challenges like this. I still believe in Blue and think getting emotional, shooting from the hip and firing a good coach like Vigneault would be a mistake. Especially in a shortened season.

/2 cents
Oh yeah. Cause all the best coaches in history just chewed gum and did nothing hoping that their team would figure stuff out on their own.

Are you talking about this losing streak?

Otherwise known as "the goal that saved Alain Vigneault."

The reason the Canucks have been so successful is because we have/had the most talented and deepest team we've ever had.

This team would've done just as well, if not better, with a different coach.

AV was a great coach for this team when we lacked depth and offensive firepower and could play a defensive system that relied on Luongo playing in Vezina form every night.

However he can't coach an offensive or counter-attack based game to save his life, and his ability to adapt or apply strategy in-game is atrocious.

He has one strategy. Sit back and defend the lead. How many time's have we seen being up a goal or two, and seeing the other team comeback and win? That's all he knows, that's all he wants to know.

AV isn't a motivational coach, many players have said that his speeches are mostly to the tune of "Okay guys, you know what to do, now go out there and do it."

He shows no emotion whatsoever, which can be seen as "keeping your cool" but in many times it simply comes across as a lack of intensity/investment. We get scored on multiple times in short spurts, and the guy doesn't take a timeout to calm the boys down.

Sure you can say he won the Jack Adams for "best coach" but that's a regular season award, just like the Presidents Trophy (heh). It doesn't mean shit in the playoffs. When was the last time a Jack Adams award winner led his team to the final and won the cup? Tortorella in 04?

AV hasn't coached this team to success, rather he's ridden their talent to success. In many cases, his coaching has actually held the team back.

Between the garbage Power Play AND Penalty Kill, the defensive pairings AND lines that get mixed up more often than Raymond falls on the ice, and the constant man-crushes on useless plugs that end up taking away ice time from more useful players, I don't see how anyone can logically defend the guy.

Meh, guess I should just go smoke a j and relax

/2 cents
Old 03-11-2013, 06:57 PM   #9922
Waxin’ Punks

Thanked 6,041 Times in 2,076 Posts
You make some valid points and I guess perspective has a lot to do with it. I hate it when the Canucks sit on a lead more than anyone.. but overall I guess we'll agree to disagree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG1 View Post
punkwax, I don't care what your friends say about you, you are gold!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemhg View Post
What do your farts sound like then?
Old 03-11-2013, 06:59 PM   #9923
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

If Stepan Weiss doesn't resign with the Panthers, should the Canucks kick the tires? He's coming off wrist surgery, but he's been pretty consistent through the years and a lead by example type player.

Coming out of a contract year and having season ending surgery, his value won't be as high.
Old 03-11-2013, 07:03 PM   #9924

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodnarb View Post
You make some valid points and I guess perspective has a lot to do with it. I hate it when the Canucks sit on a lead more than anyone.. but overall I guess we'll agree to disagree.
No hard feelings. Its fun to have discussions/debates bud
Old 03-11-2013, 07:07 PM   #9925

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR_BIGGS View Post
If Stepan Weiss doesn't resign with the Panthers, should the Canucks kick the tires? He's coming off wrist surgery, but he's been pretty consistent through the years and a lead by example type player.

Coming out of a contract year and having season ending surgery, his value won't be as high.
I'd take Weiss on the team...if he comes cheap.

Has chemistry with Booth [unlike Kesler lol] and a middle of:

Sedin
Kesler
Weiss
Lapierre