REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Closed Thread

Old 05-06-2013, 09:24 PM   #15976
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Disick View Post
Must mean Gaborik is being traded to the Canucks.
Advertisement
Old 05-06-2013, 09:55 PM   #15977
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,587 Times in 631 Posts
Why the fuck do you offer a long-term contract AND a NTC....Makes zero sense....
This post thanked by:
Old 05-06-2013, 10:05 PM   #15978
My homepage has been set to RS

Quote:
That's what 4.2 mill gets you in Vancouver?

Welp...Anyone have some hydroponics I can borrow?
Old 05-06-2013, 10:05 PM   #15979
...in the world.

Thanked 7,636 Times in 2,321 Posts
Most players get a NTC BECAUSE it's a long term contract. Usually long term means the player is taking a discount but more importantly, they're making a long term commitment to a team so they don't want to sign for 10 years then get traded to Columbus and have to play there for 10 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman-19 View Post
Easy way out of an NTC is to bench underperformers. They ask for a trade, and boom, headshot.
Posted via RS Mobile
Great idea. What if they don't ask for a trade?

And even if they ask for a trade, it has to be to a team they want to be traded to. Or how about they just say "Fuck you." and sit on the bench, making the full value of their contract while the entire organization looks even stupider? Super easy, right? RFA kids without contracts hold out every year to do battle with the GM. The situation you're suggesting means the GM is at a disadvantage. Benching a player means he's either underperforming or not playing nice with the team. Think you're getting market value for the guy? Think free agents are going to want to sign here after?

Seriously, some of you need to learn a thing or two about how hockey works before playing armchair GM. I love it when people call in to TEAM1040 and suggest that we should send the Sedins down to the minors or other moronic things like that without knowing the implications of the move or how/if the Canucks can actually do so.
This post thanked by:
Old 05-06-2013, 10:10 PM   #15980
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Quote:
I don't feel bad for luongo anymore after seeing that
Old 05-06-2013, 10:18 PM   #15981

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin View Post
Most players get a NTC BECAUSE it's a long term contract. Usually long term means the player is taking a discount but more importantly, they're making a long term commitment to a team so they don't want to sign for 10 years then get traded to Columbus and have to play there for 10 years.
I don't really think it's a 'discounted price' as guys are going to decline over time and they won't be able to get those same offers throughout their entire careers....but what a long-term contract DOES give them is job security....no need for both that AND a NTC...

Combination of NTC + Long-term contracts should be exceptions for guys that are the best of the best....The Sidney Crosby's, Steven Stamkos', and Evgeni Malkin's.....The guys who actually deserve that kind of leverage....Not Dan Hamhuis, Ryan Kesler, Manny Malhotra, Jason Garrison, Roberto Luongo...

What's worse, all our NTC's are straight up 100% no-trade clauses....Not even limited in that the guy can pick 10 teams or some shit that he won't accept a trade to....just straight up, you can stay here no matter what and do absolutely nothing for the rest of your career, and still get paid....

Last edited by bballguy; 05-06-2013 at 10:29 PM.
Old 05-06-2013, 10:24 PM   #15982
...in the world.

Thanked 7,636 Times in 2,321 Posts
Say you signed up to work at a company for the next ten years of your life. Your job is massaging Kate Upton's titties before photoshoots. You get a butt load of money and your contract says that you'll work for this company for the next ten years.

But then the company decides NOPE you're going to wash sumo wrestler diapers by hand now. You get paid the same amount of money and you're locked in. You can't go anywhere...you must either wash sumo wrestler diapers or not get paid because you can't quit and go work elsewhere.

Same deal. Lu signs for 12 years with no NTC and then gets traded to a rebuilding team where he doesn't want to be?

Long terms don't give job security. NTCs do. It's unreasonable to give EVERYONE an NTC but for a 12 year contract? It's necessary.
Old 05-06-2013, 10:33 PM   #15983

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin View Post
Say you signed up to work at a company for the next ten years of your life. Your job is massaging Kate Upton's titties before photoshoots. You get a butt load of money and your contract says that you'll work for this company for the next ten years.

But then the company decides NOPE you're going to wash sumo wrestler diapers by hand now. You get paid the same amount of money and you're locked in. You can't go anywhere...you must either wash sumo wrestler diapers or not get paid because you can't quit and go work elsewhere.

Same deal. Lu signs for 12 years with no NTC and then gets traded to a rebuilding team where he doesn't want to be?

Long terms don't give job security. NTCs do. It's unreasonable to give EVERYONE an NTC but for a 12 year contract? It's necessary.
....That's a huge exaggeration, and really means nothing.....What makes you think 'Kate Upton's Tits' (Canucks) won't turn into 'Sumo Wrestler Diapers' (Flames) in just a matter of years? There's nowhere in the contract that says Canucks are going to be Kate Upton's tits for the next 10 years....

and Long-term contracts ABSOLUTELY give you job security....guy plays good for 2 years, gets long-term contract, sucks balls for the rest of his career, still gets paid.....How is that not job security?

Job security is about getting paid...Shit can get tough at any point for any profession, but knowing that you will always be employed and always get paid is what defines job security.

All that said, I appreciate the great metaphors and analogy.

Last edited by bballguy; 05-06-2013 at 10:43 PM.
This post thanked by:
Old 05-06-2013, 11:11 PM   #15984
Work hard, Play Hard - Wiz

Thanked 2,011 Times in 368 Posts
Old 05-07-2013, 12:21 AM   #15985
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 3,842 Times in 879 Posts
av should totaly do the white towel thing tomorrow if the refs call a bad game again
This post thanked by:
Old 05-07-2013, 12:28 AM   #15986
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,809 Times in 8,186 Posts
the reffing has hardly been that bad
Old 05-07-2013, 12:29 AM   #15987

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
the reffing has hardly been that bad
In that they have been consistent or in that they are making the right calls, or both?
Old 05-07-2013, 12:32 AM   #15988
rsx
Lomac owned my ass at least once

Thanked 3,463 Times in 820 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmperorIS View Post
av should totaly do the white towel thing tomorrow if the refs call a bad game again
I think AV waved the white flag a couple of games ago.
Old 05-07-2013, 01:43 AM   #15989
Banned (ABWS)?

Thanked 3,984 Times in 1,689 Posts
Why is it that every series that the Canucks lose in, bad officiating is always a topic that's brought up?

I mean really, our all mighty Canucks should have won the Stanley Cup every season.
But them bad refs always get in the way. (/sarcasm)

Last edited by AzNightmare; Today at 10:09 AM
Old 05-07-2013, 01:48 AM   #15990

Quote:
Originally Posted by bballguy View Post
In that they have been consistent or in that they are making the right calls, or both?
Not bad enough to do something like that. Especially when you are the favourite to win
Old 05-07-2013, 02:19 AM   #15991

Quote:
Not bad enough to do something like that.
so you agree that the officiating has been bad though; ok, cool.
Old 05-07-2013, 02:40 AM   #15992

No better or worse than usual
Old 05-07-2013, 02:48 AM   #15993

Quote:
No better or worse than usual
oh, so you think the refs are always bad.
Old 05-07-2013, 02:55 AM   #15994

The refs are neither especially good, nor especially bad. They do what they do. You can bitch and whine about it all you want. Every single team in every single city in every single sport probably has valid complaints to make about reffing in just about every single game they have ever played, in the history of sport.

Refereeing relies on humans to make snap judgement calls, and sometimes the judgments do not stand up to scrutiny when looking at things in super slow motion. Bitching about it gets you nowhere, so it is completely pointless. If you can step back and look at things objectively, you might be able to enjoy life more, and not get annoyed by people who are able to do so (as you put it earlier).
Old 05-07-2013, 03:22 AM   #15995

Quote:
The refs are neither especially good, nor especially bad. They do what they do. You can bitch and whine about it all you want. Every single team in every single city in every single sport probably has valid complaints to make about reffing in just about every single game they have ever played, in the history of sport.
By no means am I blaming the losses on the refs, as the Canucks plain and simply suck, but you have to be a fucking retard to believe that the reffing has been anything but atrocious in this series. Powerplays are 17-7, and the powerplay time is 27:19 to 10:24 in favor of San Jose. No other series even comes close to this discrepancy. Are we really that much more stupid than San Jose that we've legitimately taken 10 more penalties than them? Go watch the games again if you are seriously think so...

There's no point arguing with you about this though, because you NEVER think the refereeing is horrible. For the past 3 years, I've always seen you bitching at people who whine about the refs, maybe because you always assume people are blaming the refs for the losses.

I don't think anybody is BLAMING the refs for the losses here, but the calls thus far, for whatever reason - maybe we don't sell calls the way we need to - have clearly been favouring one side more than the other...

Quote:
Refereeing relies on humans to make snap judgement calls, and sometimes the judgments do not stand up to scrutiny when looking at things in super slow motion. Bitching about it gets you nowhere, so it is completely pointless. If you can step back and look at things objectively, you might be able to enjoy life more, and not get annoyed by people who are able to do so (as you put it earlier).
These are trained professionals; they make big bucks for this shit. My biggest issue with refs, in general, is that they make calls based on what they THINK probably happened, rather than making calls based on what they actually saw....That's the only reason why people are able to 'sell' penalties.

There has also been a lack of consistency with calls on plays that are right in front of the refs.

And you say whining about the refs "gets you nowhere, so it is completely pointless" - well whining about how bad our players, coaches, GM, owner, prospects, etc. are doesn't do anything either, so that statement is pretty much irrelevant...

Again, I'm not saying better reffing would change the outcome of this series - we fucking suck - but that doesn't take away from the fact that reffing has in fact been horrible in that it has been incosistent and favoured one side more than the other, quite possibly due to the Sharks selling the penalties better....and I don't blame the Sharks; as a player, you do whatever it takes to win - I blame our guys for not being good enough at selling more calls, and I blame the refs for being so easy to fool. (Again, blaming for the huge discrepancy in penalties, not for the losses, not like we do shit with powerplays anyway...)

Gnight

Last edited by bballguy; 05-07-2013 at 03:28 AM.
Old 05-07-2013, 03:34 AM   #15996

o ok
This post thanked by:
Old 05-07-2013, 03:36 AM   #15997

Quote:
o ok
Yeah, that's what I thought.
This post FAILED by:
Old 05-07-2013, 05:42 AM   #15998
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,488 Times in 1,687 Posts
-still wearing my Canucks jersey
to support the team despite the uphill battle. A Canucks fan for life.

I wonder how many strangers in the elevator will talk to me about
the team because of the orca logo.

Go Canucks go! Play for each other not
for the idiot AV!!!
Posted via RS Mobile
This post thanked by:
Old 05-07-2013, 06:35 AM   #15999
Performance Moderator

Thanked 15,399 Times in 5,090 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by subordinate View Post
That's what 4.2 mill gets you in Vancouver?

Welp...Anyone have some hydroponics I can borrow?

He has so many pretty crystal chandeliers... even in his bedroom... that's so cute.
Old 05-07-2013, 06:55 AM   #16000
In RS I Trust

Thanked 17,581 Times in 4,297 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pastarocket View Post
-still wearing my Canucks jersey
to support the team despite the uphill battle. A Canucks fan for life.

I wonder how many strangers in the elevator will talk to me about
the team because of the orca logo.

Go Canucks go! Play for each other not
for the idiot AV!!!
Posted via RS Mobile
Wearing my jersey to work today, win or lose I'm a fan but truthfully I want them to lose tonight cause changes need to happen
Closed Thread