REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum


Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.


Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 06-15-2012, 01:31 PM   #1
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!
 
Benz_05TSX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Richmond
Posts: 4,658
Thanked 171 Times in 62 Posts
Anyone disputed a traffic ticket in Bellingham, WA?

Hey RS'ers!!

I was wondering if any of you have experience of disputing a traffic ticket in Bellingham, WA. Dispute date is in 2 days and I need to dispute it! I am unsure how the US court system work and is it really true there is very slight chance of winning?

Basically I was driving my friend's stock ek sedan on I-5. I was tired so I wasn't going too fast, maybe at most 5-10km over the speed limit. There was a bunch of cars ahead of me going faster and were speeding away from me. I saw a police car parked on the side so I just tapped my brakes and cruise to slow down. US Police let the bunch of cars travelling at high speed go and pulls me over instead. Police Officer said I was going 23mph over the speed limit (which is around 135km/h I believe) and I slowed down to 80km/h and it was dangerous to the traffic. I can honestly say I was not going that fast, there was no way I would drive 135km/h in my friend's car, and I was tired, and I don't even feel safe driving that fast in a car anymore. I doubt that stock civic brakes can slow the car down from 135km/h to 80km/h in a 2 second duration?? What I found most offensive was after he pulled me over and said those, he asked if I had Marijuana on me. He probably assumed that because I am from BC? And he said that he doesn't know how the rules are up there, but down here, we don't brake and slow down on the highway and we don't slow down suddenly to pull over on the highway. Honestly, it was my 2nd time driving in the States, and it was just natural of me to tap the brakes when I see a police car.

Anyone has experience dealing with issues such as this?

Thanks!

Benz
Advertisement
__________________
Need anything wrapped in vinyl? Need some custom stickers made for advertising purposes or just for fun? Or you need some Honda accessories?? Message me!!
Benz_05TSX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 02:14 PM   #2
Rs has made me the woman i am today!
 
Akinari's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 4,101
Thanked 4,789 Times in 1,268 Posts
Yup.

Going 72 in a 70 zone. Officer also failed to show radar gun. $250 for passing a motor home going barely 60.

Disputed the ticket, only took $50 off, total bullshit.

If the officer did not show the radar gun to you, make sure you stress that in the letter to the judge, that will be of help.

Good luck.

EDIT: This was in Skagit. Skagit County tends to be a bit more anal when it comes to speeding.
Akinari is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-15-2012, 02:16 PM   #3
Zombie Mod
 
Presto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Langley
Posts: 9,550
Thanked 4,765 Times in 1,391 Posts
You were speeding, so out of guilt you hit the brakes? It was fishing season, and you were the fish that jumped right in the boat. What's your argument going to be?
__________________
Romans 10:9
Presto is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 06:39 PM   #4
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!
 
z3german's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Richmond
Posts: 1,112
Thanked 881 Times in 282 Posts
I would recommend checking out my thread, some good info on the first and last page
http://www.revscene.net/forums/66742...-speeding.html
If your dispute date is in 2 days dispute and they will give you a court date or they will tell you that a court order will come in the mail in approx (months? a year? dont know how clogged the US system is). After you get your court date follow what I did in the thread i linked to. Asking for disclosure is critical! Good luck, sounds like cop was a dick.
z3german is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-19-2012, 03:33 AM   #5
Marcosexual Fan Club, CEO
 
Marco911's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: US Bush-country
Posts: 7,741
Thanked 822 Times in 284 Posts
Dispute the ticket. You can hire a traffic attorney in WA to have the ticket quashed You should be able to Google one. Otherwise, just submit a notice of dispute per the instructions on the ticket, and drive down to WA when your court date occurs.
__________________
Poor is the man whose pleasures depend on the permission of another.
Marco911 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-19-2012, 08:34 AM   #6
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: earth
Posts: 42
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
how much is the ticket? based on all the inputs form other members, I am sure there are many things you can fight it; however, none doesn't involve driving all the way back to the States ...

cop is a dick, the whole situation sucks, but do pick your battle wisely
K23A1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 05:06 PM   #7
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!
 
Benz_05TSX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Richmond
Posts: 4,658
Thanked 171 Times in 62 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by akinari-kun View Post
Yup.

Going 72 in a 70 zone. Officer also failed to show radar gun. $250 for passing a motor home going barely 60.

Disputed the ticket, only took $50 off, total bullshit.

If the officer did not show the radar gun to you, make sure you stress that in the letter to the judge, that will be of help.

Good luck.

EDIT: This was in Skagit. Skagit County tends to be a bit more anal when it comes to speeding.
Thanks for the information. But they didn't ask for a letter yet. All I did was send in the dispute. I am not sure what will happen after as this is my first time disputing in the States and none of my friends have tried.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Presto View Post
You were speeding, so out of guilt you hit the brakes? It was fishing season, and you were the fish that jumped right in the boat. What's your argument going to be?
It's not a matter of whether I was speeding or not that i am disputing this. I am simply disputing because of the of the amount of speed over the limit I was going. The officer claimed that I was speeding 23mph over the limit. That was the offence. However, I am 100% positive that I was no where near that speed. Thus, I am simply disputing this offence. In addition, it was unfair how he let others go when they are speeding away, while I slowed down. As for the "out of guilt", i am sure most of the people out there or on this forum will lightly tap the brakes and let off throttle when they see a police officer parked on the side. It's unfair how he pulled me over because I slowed down for him, and because I am driving a BC plate car?

Quote:
Originally Posted by z3german View Post
I would recommend checking out my thread, some good info on the first and last page
http://www.revscene.net/forums/66742...-speeding.html
If your dispute date is in 2 days dispute and they will give you a court date or they will tell you that a court order will come in the mail in approx (months? a year? dont know how clogged the US system is). After you get your court date follow what I did in the thread i linked to. Asking for disclosure is critical! Good luck, sounds like cop was a dick.
Alright! Thanks for the heads up! I will go look at your link when everything come in. They didn't even send me a letter yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco911 View Post
Dispute the ticket. You can hire a traffic attorney in WA to have the ticket quashed You should be able to Google one. Otherwise, just submit a notice of dispute per the instructions on the ticket, and drive down to WA when your court date occurs.
I already submitted a dispute for the ticket. So I should just wait for the court order and everything before considering hiring a lawyer right? I am not sure who's good though. Don't want to just hire a random lawyer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by K23A1 View Post
how much is the ticket? based on all the inputs form other members, I am sure there are many things you can fight it; however, none doesn't involve driving all the way back to the States ...

cop is a dick, the whole situation sucks, but do pick your battle wisely

I am prepared to drive back to Washington to fight the case. The ticket is around $200. Alot of my friends told me just to pay it, but it's not about the money. I feel it's unfair for the way the police has treated me and how he let others go. The speed recorded was probably from another car. I am unsure of this, but I can recall that the pack of cars that were ahead of me, most of them was Washington plate cars.
__________________
Need anything wrapped in vinyl? Need some custom stickers made for advertising purposes or just for fun? Or you need some Honda accessories?? Message me!!
Benz_05TSX is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 10:41 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
Revscene.net cannot be held accountable for the actions of its members nor does the opinions of the members represent that of Revscene.net