REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 06-20-2012, 03:52 AM   #26
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MindBomber View Post
I'm not sure how to put this without it coming across poorly, but as a race, are Asian people generally speaking a bit cold?
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
I could talk to you for hours about my theory of the Asian "bubble"
I don't post on revscene that often, but I post enough to know you two guys are borderline psychotic when it comes to defending perceived racial discrimination of any kind.

Did someone hack your accounts. Are are you both a couple of complete f####n hypocrites?

Just curious.
Advertisement
Hurricane is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 06-20-2012, 04:11 AM   #27
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,809 Times in 8,186 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurricane View Post
I don't post on revscene that often, but I post enough to know you two guys are borderline psychotic when it comes to defending perceived racial discrimination of any kind.

Did someone hack your accounts. Are are you both a couple of complete f####n hypocrites?

Just curious.
What exactly did I say that was discrimination?

I'm glad you don't post that often
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 06:02 AM   #28
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
What exactly did I say that was discrimination?

I'm glad you don't post that often
Why don't you enlighten us with your Asian bubble theory?

If I posted anymore often I would have to deal with you - so I'm glad too.
Hurricane is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 06-20-2012, 06:10 AM   #29
MG1
Fathered more RS members than anybody else. Who's your daddy?

Thanked 11,510 Times in 4,902 Posts
Wait, is Hurricane the same dude as Majinhurricane? Or are we talking Meowjin hurricane.....

Bad enough trying to figure out who is seven eleven even odd..........
MG1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 06:27 AM   #30
I subscribe to Revscene

I kind of agree Asians are cliquey in a way haha
Durrann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 06:32 AM   #31
resident Oil Guru

Thanked 10,457 Times in 1,794 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Durrann View Post
I kind of agree Asians are cliquey in a way haha
Every race is cliquey.
LiquidTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-20-2012, 06:41 AM   #32
In RS I Trust

Thanked 17,581 Times in 4,297 Posts
People are scared to go outside there box these days and have a lot more comfort with hanging out with their close group of friends and are just happy that way. Every race hase there comfort bubble which that is mainly natural. It's really a sad way to live life if you don't experiance new things and just stick to whats normal for you and what you grew up or have become a custom too.
murd0c is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 07:04 AM   #33
nns
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,843 Times in 553 Posts
Quote:
Almost a third of those surveyed refused to answer the question, while those among the roughly 30 per cent who did rated Middle Eastern, South Asian and Asian immigrants as the least desirable neighbours, CBC News said.
Why them?

I can sort of understand about the South Asians though. My neighborhood is surrounded by them. Their kids play in the alley, scream across the alley to talk to each other, and eyeball me whenever I drive by. Would you see this with a neighborhood of Chinese, Vietnamese, etc families? YMMV, I guess.

That last point really applies to anybody these days. Did people forget that it's rude to stare at others? Keep your eyes on yourself.
Old 06-20-2012, 07:11 AM   #34
My homepage has been set to RS

we are lonely..............
danned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 07:31 AM   #35
I subscribe to Revscene

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidTurbo View Post
Every race is cliquey.
maybe cliquey is a wrong word...maybe like not as welcoming as other races? haha
Durrann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 07:47 AM   #36
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,809 Times in 8,186 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by murd0c View Post
People are scared to go outside there box these days and have a lot more comfort with hanging out with their close group of friends and are just happy that way. Every race hase there comfort bubble which that is mainly natural. It's really a sad way to live life if you don't experiance new things and just stick to whats normal for you and what you grew up or have become a custom too.
In my experience, the groups that get together in HK are from all races - white, indian, pakistani, chinese, and more. But maybe they themselves can be considered one group of world travelers?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Durrann View Post
maybe cliquey is a wrong word...maybe like not as welcoming as other races? haha
I disagree with that... Everyone has a 'barrier' they put up, no matter what race. Some people are just cunts and will not 'welcome' other races. But that has nothing to do with their race - those people are just cunts.
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 08:27 AM   #37

Thanked 2,454 Times in 813 Posts
Vancouver is a anti-social city. Period.

I can try to strike up a conversation about anything on the skytrain/bus/walking, and nobody wants to talk to you. I end up talking to bums/homeless people more because they want to talk. The "normal" person walking down the street can't give a flying fuck about what you want to say, or who you are.

Another reason why all the guys bitch and moan that "Vancouver Women" suck.
[17-03, 09:23] Amuro Ray is it normal for my dick to have things growing on it?
Quote:
[15-05, 13:34] FastAnna You guise are like diet coke and I am the mentos
[15-05, 13:34] FastAnna Incredible. How easy it is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by murd0c View Post
I'm scared of spiders... When I see one I toss my cats at it
melloman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 08:55 AM   #38
I bringith the lowerballerith

Quote:
Originally Posted by nns View Post
Why them?

I can sort of understand about the South Asians though. My neighborhood is surrounded by them. Their kids play in the alley, scream across the alley to talk to each other, and eyeball me whenever I drive by. Would you see this with a neighborhood of Chinese, Vietnamese, etc families? YMMV, I guess.

That last point really applies to anybody these days. Did people forget that it's rude to stare at others? Keep your eyes on yourself.
The one thing I noticed about socalled tough guys and how to tell them apart from the real tough guys.

The real pussies stare people down,that's all they can do,they are too chicken shit to start a real fight let alone win one,so all they can do is win a looking contest.
spyker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 09:13 AM   #39
no

Thanked 6,058 Times in 1,222 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MindBomber View Post
I'm not sure how to put this without it coming across poorly, but as a race, are Asian people generally speaking a bit cold?

In complete honesty, I don't find Abbotsford or Langley to be cold at all. On my morning walk people always say "morning" or "hello" and smile as we pass; the door is often held open for me, and when I reciprocate, I always hear "thanks." The exception to the friendliness seems to be with most Asian people, which I don't quite understand...

Oh, to add, I hope no one complaining about the lack of friendliness is walking around with an unfriendly scowl. I smile and a quick "hello" to a stranger is infectious

When I first joined, there were never informal meets, but lately people seem to be getting together multiple times a week for random quick get togethers. It's a nice change, step away from the computer screen and speak to people in person.
not trying to generalize everyone living in abbotsford, i even have some good friends and previous co workers that i was close with that resides there. However, once in a while when i stop by any fast food restaurants/gas stations or any public places in abbotsford, i get random stares/glares from a lot of white folks like i just came from the outter space, cant speak for langley though, as i never really go there.

i must also conclude that i also live in maple ridge and have been living here for while, and although the asian population is minimal compare to many cities in vancouver, i generally dont get that uncomfortable feel as oppose to when im in abbotsford
jpark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 09:40 AM   #40
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,459 Times in 1,126 Posts
The Sun is running a weeklong series on this subject. Typically I take opinions on newspaper sites with a grain of salt, but I would say the majority of responses are in line with the study.

People like to blame housing costs for everything including the lack of friendliness here. However, it doesn't cost anything to at least say "Hello" or to flash a smile. I live in an apartment building and I try to at least say hello to people in the elevator. However, I often see people buried in their phones. It's quite sad really.

Anyway, there is of course the stock/noobie meet coming up next week. Perhaps all of the forever alone people should come out. I'll be there greeting all of you and will be ready to chat about cars and current events.
Tapioca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 10:05 AM   #41
Waxin’ Punks

Thanked 6,038 Times in 2,075 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG1 View Post
punkwax, I don't care what your friends say about you, you are gold!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemhg View Post
What do your farts sound like then?
punkwax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 10:50 AM   #42
MG1
Fathered more RS members than anybody else. Who's your daddy?

Thanked 11,510 Times in 4,902 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nns View Post
Did people forget that it's rude to stare at others? Keep your eyes on yourself.
Yeah, I forget to do that myself, but what can you do when your neighbour's 26 year old daughter is so hot, she'll melt your popsicle.

Tanning out back......... hells no I ain't moving. No mountains or lake view where I live, but..........

One day while washing the truck, she comes out in an outfit I cannot begin to describe........... I totally forgot I had a hose in my hand. LOL
MG1 is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-20-2012, 11:03 AM   #43
I bringith the lowerballerith

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG1 View Post
Yeah, I forget to do that myself, but what can you do when your neighbour's 26 year old daughter is so hot, she'll melt your popsicle.

Tanning out back......... hells no I ain't moving. No mountains or lake view where I live, but..........

One day while washing the truck, she comes out in an outfit I cannot begin to describe........... I totally forgot I had a hose in my hand. LOL
Summer RS meet at your place?
spyker is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-20-2012, 11:17 AM   #44
rsx
Lomac owned my ass at least once

Thanked 3,463 Times in 820 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meowjin View Post
^I don't understand what you are saying?

Your saying this is a non-profit that distrubutes money for various bursaries?
VF is a non-profit org that manages a fund, I think they call it an endowment fund, they then use the income generated from the fund to provide grants to various fields of interests, eg: animal welfare, arts&culture, etc.

It's a very good way of giving.

Bursaries is not part of the fields of interests, per se, it's grouped it with HMR (health medical research) they have various colleges that they work with and allocate x amount of bursaries per college/year

Last edited by rsx; 06-20-2012 at 11:20 AM. Reason: forgot to answer second question.
rsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 11:26 AM   #45
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,812 Times in 2,501 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by spoon.ek9 View Post
I have to say.. that's pretty freaking rude. Your "friends" should have the decency to speak in English and include you in the conversation. Especially if they are the ones who invited you to come out in the first place.

I come from Alberta so I can say that people here in general are a lot colder, self-centered and selfish. This isn't to say everyone is like this, but the general feeling I got was that people here are mainly concerned about themselves first. There are a lot of good people out there though, you just have to find ways to meet more of them.
+1 on rude. seen that before and i hate it.

+1 again on the general attitudes of people here. i've live in alberta as well - and other provinces. boy the difference is astounding.

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 12:42 PM   #46
Wanna have a threesome?

Thanked 5,054 Times in 1,657 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurricane View Post

Just curious.
No, I'm not a f####n hypocrite.

I'm simply stating my unbiased observations, not criticizing.

One could logically reach the conclusion that those residing in densely populated urban areas are less openly friendly and polite towards the general population because of the high level of energy and time that would need to be expended. If a person makes an effort to extend a friendly greeting, or polite gesture, to a significant percentage people who they do not have an association with aside from proximity in a dense urban area it would require a great deal of energy and time. Therefore, people in dense urban areas reserve friendliness and politeness for those to which they have a more significant connection. Likewise, anyone who has spent a significant amount of time in very rural areas will likely testify to the friendliness and politeness of people. Although the association two people may have in a rural area is also limited to proximity, there are so many fewer people the energy required is much less and therefore acceptable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLOW View Post
+1 on rude. seen that before and i hate it.

+1 again on the general attitudes of people here. i've live in alberta as well - and other provinces. boy the difference is astounding.
I wouldn't go so far as to say it's a Alberta to British Columbia difference, more like, Alberta to Richmond, Vancouver, Burnaby difference. I've lived all over British Columbia, I can say with confidence, the generally unfriendly attitude is not or not nearly as present in the interior and valley like it is in Vancouver and the immediately surrounding areas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpark View Post
not trying to generalize everyone living in abbotsford, i even have some good friends and previous co workers that i was close with that resides there. However, once in a while when i stop by any fast food restaurants/gas stations or any public places in abbotsford, i get random stares/glares from a lot of white folks like i just came from the outter space, cant speak for langley though, as i never really go there.

i must also conclude that i also live in maple ridge and have been living here for while, and although the asian population is minimal compare to many cities in vancouver, i generally dont get that uncomfortable feel as oppose to when im in abbotsford
Interesting.

Abbotsford is quite racially and socially diverse and friendly in my experience, but there's no disputing the (declining) presence of a white christian community that is unwelcoming and judgemental. Even I've experienced the random stares/glares from that community. Working on job sites ran by Mennonite contractors I would always get those looks, once I actually got chewed out by a Mennonite drywaller (Mennonites in construction are easy to spot, they wear dress clothes) for talking to a attractive female neighbor at a job site.

Last edited by MindBomber; 06-20-2012 at 01:01 PM.
MindBomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 01:07 PM   #47
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Thanked 1,776 Times in 444 Posts
I've lived, so far, in Cleveland, Rio de Janeiro, and Vancouver.

Vancouver is far and away the most unwelcoming city. No shit, really. We knew all our neighbours in Cleveland, and we frickin' got invited to birthdays, parties and events. Mind you, we were Latinos living in an upper class white-collar neighborhood.

Rio de Janeiro, well, people are really friendly (unless they want to steal your shit or kill you). But overall friendly.

Here? Shit, unless you are part of the major, uh, 'ethnic groups', you're pretty much screwed. I rarely see a group of, say, Indians, Filipinos and Chinese hanging out together. Everyone is all very segregated.

http://www.e38registry.org/
Mr.C is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-20-2012, 01:21 PM   #48

jimzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 01:25 PM   #49
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
Part of it have to do with technology.
I mean 10years ago when ppl aren't listening to thier ipods, whatsapp, or using thier smart phone is a lot easier to strike conversion with someone on the street.

Now, ppl have thier earphones a lot of timnes, texting, checking FB, twitter, etc on thier smart phone while not paying attention to the streets or even want to talk to anyone at all.
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 02:20 PM   #50
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,091 Times in 773 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Chatterbox View Post
What the fuck is this shit all about?

Every fucking thread started by MajinHurricane turns into a patheic pity party. "Oh poor me. I'm MajinHurricane and you all should feel sorry for me."

Fuck you.
I posted about a topic I felt strongly about and had an opinion about. I do this about anything I have an opinion about.

You're right though, I'm a pretty big pussy online.

Fuck you.
Meowjin is offline   Reply With Quote