REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 06-20-2012, 04:49 PM   #51
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 1,954 Times in 903 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.C View Post

Here? Shit, unless you are part of the major, uh, 'ethnic groups', you're pretty much screwed. I rarely see a group of, say, Indians, Filipinos and Chinese hanging out together. Everyone is all very segregated.
As a Chinese guy who doesn't quite "fit the mold", I would say that there's just as much snobbery within ethnic groups as there is between ethnic groups.
Advertisement
Tapioca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 05:17 PM   #52
JDMEK9Mod | DogWhisperer

Thanked 4,476 Times in 1,328 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpark View Post
not trying to generalize everyone living in abbotsford, i even have some good friends and previous co workers that i was close with that resides there. However, once in a while when i stop by any fast food restaurants/gas stations or any public places in abbotsford, i get random stares/glares from a lot of white folks like i just came from the outter space, cant speak for langley though, as i never really go there.

i must also conclude that i also live in maple ridge and have been living here for while, and although the asian population is minimal compare to many cities in vancouver, i generally dont get that uncomfortable feel as oppose to when im in abbotsford
This is how I felt many times in Alberta and also in the states the last time I went for dinner (at an Applebee's). This is also part of the reason why I love living in the lower mainland because we see such a large diversity of people that seeing a race other than your own is the norm. Back when I lived there, being openly ridiculed because of your race was fairly normal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLOW View Post
+1 on rude. seen that before and i hate it.

+1 again on the general attitudes of people here. i've live in alberta as well - and other provinces. boy the difference is astounding.
As I've stated above, Alberta has it's own problems too. But yes, when speaking of the non-racist Albertans, they are much friendlier and welcoming than people here in general. The asian population in Alberta has increased quite a lot from what I hear so I hope the amount of racism has decreased.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapioca View Post
As a Chinese guy who doesn't quite "fit the mold", I would say that there's just as much snobbery within ethnic groups as there is between ethnic groups.
I've been that guy before too. Didn't quite fit in with the hongers, didn't quite fit in with the other crowds. Eventually you find your way and it's important that people out there understand they have to keep trying and put some effort into it.
Spoiler!
spoon.ek9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 05:20 PM   #53
Banned (ABWS)

RS meet to break the lonely cycle.
MrGoodbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 07:33 PM   #54
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

^can we have an RS food meet instead? I would like to check out some of the 'hidden gems of the city' known to some of the resident foodies here

2013 Lexus IS350 F-Sport (Melbourne)
too_slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 09:29 PM   #55
resident Oil Guru

Thanked 10,457 Times in 1,794 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by too_slow View Post
^can we have an RS food meet instead? I would like to check out some of the 'hidden gems of the city' known to some of the resident foodies here
They wouldn't be 'gems' if they were shared with the masses..
LiquidTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 10:17 PM   #56
I subscribe to Revscene

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG1 View Post
Yeah, I forget to do that myself, but what can you do when your neighbour's 26 year old daughter is so hot, she'll melt your popsicle.

Tanning out back......... hells no I ain't moving. No mountains or lake view where I live, but..........

One day while washing the truck, she comes out in an outfit I cannot begin to describe........... I totally forgot I had a hose in my hand. LOL
i'm trying to imagine this in my mind....LOL

can i come over on a hot sunny day?
Durrann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 12:06 AM   #57

Thanked 2,608 Times in 824 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.HappySilp View Post
Part of it have to do with technology.
I mean 10years ago when ppl aren't listening to thier ipods, whatsapp, or using thier smart phone is a lot easier to strike conversion with someone on the street.

Now, ppl have thier earphones a lot of timnes, texting, checking FB, twitter, etc on thier smart phone while not paying attention to the streets or even want to talk to anyone at all.

This is me...the ipod with music playing...
i blame it on the Fucking Bums asking for a dollar & it gets annoying.

And Vancouver has a fucked up Vibe...so many people looking ahead in their own world never paying attention to the opposite sex....A Few but i know a majority will never strike a conversation on the streets unless its asking for Directions around the city.

Restaurants are one of the places i only notice people will feel comfortable enough to talk & relax.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidTurbo View Post
Every race is cliquey.
x2 you see most in groups only speaking their home country language & Once and awhile you can hear some speak English.
Old 06-21-2012, 05:46 AM   #58
MG1
Fathered more RS members than anybody else. Who's your daddy?

Thanked 9,709 Times in 3,947 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Durrann View Post
i'm trying to imagine this in my mind....LOL

can i come over on a hot sunny day?
Italian women are so fine........

olive tanned skin, ftw

She is so friendly too. Says hi to me all the time with big smile and cute fluttering fingers wave. Trying hard to describe her without being disrespectful.

In fact, the whole neighbourhood is so friendly. Everybody greets each other...... joggers, complete strangers, even the local bag lady is friendly. It's a great neighbourhood. It is Burnaby, though.

As I said in another thread, I say hi to everybody - it becomes contagious at work, at home, anywhere. To guys, it's the ol' guy nod of the head, to women it's the smile and a quick wave........ if she's hot, I do the up and down check her assets after she passes by, thing. If caught looking, a nice smile of approval, LOL. They usually smile back. Hot chicks know guys check them out and the best compliment they can get is a guy checking them out......... at least that's how I see it. Maybe it's the harmless dirty old man look that I have, hee hee.

Last edited by MG1; 06-21-2012 at 05:58 AM.
MG1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 07:04 AM   #59
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Thanked 1,532 Times in 479 Posts
I have two really good friends, some people think that you need more than that.

People forget that really knowing one or two people is more fun than trying to vaguely remember a lot of them.

What I'm actually frustrated with is the fact that a white guy like me has such a hard time with white women....

>
Yodamaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 07:26 AM   #60
RS.net PIMP

Thanked 3,057 Times in 824 Posts
I might be in the minority here (no pun intended), but the group of close friends I hang out with is pretty diverse. I'm chinese, my girlfriend is white, majority of my close friends are white, a few other asians and east indians.

I find on the streets of Vancouver, people are really set in their own world just focused on getting from point a to b, that can come across as unfriendly, I will admit I have been guilty of this myself. I've had randoms stop me on the street to engage in conversation, but I honestly had no time. But I find when out on down time at Kits beach, bars, lounges and pubs, people are generally friendly and will engage in convo with you and get to know you. Personally I always sit at the bar of lounge/pub/resto if I can, I find people are way more open engaging with strangers at bar seating rather than if you got your own table/high top/booth.
7seven is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-21-2012, 09:31 AM   #61

The neighbourhood I grew up in and where my parents still live is so diverse. Most families that live there, have been there a long time. You have Italians mostly on the corner lots, lots of Chinese, handful of East-Indians and then a bunch of other mixes.

There are three elementary schools 5 mins of each other, a park, seniors centre and recreation centre all within walking distance. Everyone knows each other, and theres always the handwave, or the head nod or the smile when you walk by them on the street. It's not uncommon to be walking home and the guy on the corner lot is watering his garden and he strikes up a convo with you for like 30 minutes. Or waving at the old lady that lives down the street, talking about her grandchildren..etc etc.. Even the younger families, who have just recently moved in are welcoming and friendly.