REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   Official "Vancouver Cycling" Thread (https://www.revscene.net/forums/670298-official-vancouver-cycling-thread.html)

Mike Oxbig 06-30-2012 12:40 PM

Official "Vancouver Cycling" Thread

Riding a bike will be the new hip thing in town soon... All this is part of the city’s attempt to become the most bicycle friendly city in North America.

Granville Bridge with two lanes reallocated for pedestrians and cyclists
http://www.vancitybuzz.com/wp-conten...0124399806.jpg

False Creek pedestrian and cycling only crossing
http://www.vancitybuzz.com/wp-conten...-henriquez.jpg

The above was proposed in 2009 and thankfully never saw the light of day. It would have been an expensive and unnecessary additional crossing over False Creek. Adding bike/pedestrian lanes to existing, underutilized infrastructure makes more fiscal sense.

The city’s recent push to become more bicycle and pedestrian friendly is one out of necessity. The shift will infuriate a few drivers, however, those that live in the city, realize the need for alternative options. The addition of bike/pedestrian lanes on Granville and Cambie bridges are great steps. All this is part of the city’s attempt to become the most bicycle friendly city in North America.

However, the city needs to do more than just adding walking/cycling paths. It needs more rapid transit. The region as a whole needs more light rail. Personally, I’d love for the Vancouver Street Car to be built soon and finally link Granville Island to the rest of downtown Vancouver.

firebird79_00 06-30-2012 12:42 PM

fuck cyclists

J89 06-30-2012 12:59 PM

^ I use to hate cyclists too, until recently I bought my first bike and started riding.
I know why people do it now, it's fucking healthy! And now that summers around going be a riding a lot more and parking the G35 at home ^__^V

murd0c 06-30-2012 01:06 PM

Cyclists are great when they respect the road. But there are way to fucken many hipster cyclists that think they have more rights then even pedestrians in Vancouver. I've honestly almost been run over a number of times do to those hipster faggots and they can straight up go fuck them selves, an umbrella in the spokes would make me feel a whole lot better. They are the reason why cyclists have a bad name these days...

end rant/

Mr.HappySilp 06-30-2012 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by murd0c (Post 7963339)
Cyclists are great when they respect the road. But there are way to fucken many hipster cyclists that think they have more rights then even pedestrians in Vancouver. I've honestly almost been run over a number of times do to those hipster faggots and they can straight up go fuck them selves, an umbrella in the spokes would make me feel a whole lot better. They are the reason why cyclists have a bad name these days...

end rant/

Cyclist was riding on the sidewalk riding towards me. With no sigh to stop I just keep on walking. In the last sec he have stop and get off his bike and almost fell. Started swearing shit and yell at me to move and focus on the road. I am sorry but you are on a SIDEWALK made for ppl not bikes. There is a bike lane next to it.

rsx 06-30-2012 01:59 PM

cycling's been in for a while. my friends are slowly converting and buying bikes =/

Everymans 06-30-2012 03:46 PM

The only way I'd bother using the granville street bridge as a biking bridge is if they built an elevator from the seawall the bridge on both ends. Would be rather convenient for pedestrians as well if they wish to get to granville island. That bridge is like 100 feet up, no way in hell will I bother walking a bike up that many stairs, or taking the long route and enter on seymor/granville or howe.

FerrariEnzo 06-30-2012 03:53 PM

i have no problem with cyclist.. just the certain ones that think they are king shit of the road...

tiger_handheld 06-30-2012 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.G (Post 7963334)
^ I use to hate cyclists too, until recently I bought my first bike and started riding.
I know why people do it now, it's fucking healthy! And now that summers around going be a riding a lot more and parking the G35 at home ^__^V

what about spring, fall , and winter? G35 or bicycle?

E-40six 06-30-2012 06:25 PM

Did someone say biking close to a bridge?

:fullofwin:

J89 06-30-2012 06:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tiger_handheld (Post 7963523)
what about spring, fall , and winter? G35 or bicycle?

Nah bro that's hipster and shiet. :troll:

tonyzoomzoom 06-30-2012 07:02 PM

btw, the roads aren't free. Just remember to pay for your fair share ;)

CharlieH 06-30-2012 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by E-40six (Post 7963544)

Biker bails on knight st - YouTube

there wasn't a kid in the back was there? it pisses me the fuck off when i see parents riding along the road with their kids in the back. god forbid they hit something or get run over by a car... don't know how they'd live with themselves.

Mr.HappySilp 06-30-2012 09:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tonyzoomzoom (Post 7963577)
btw, the roads aren't free. Just remember to pay for your fair share ;)

Not going to happen.

Ronin 06-30-2012 10:26 PM

I think putting bike and pedestrian lanes on Granville bridge is fine. There's plenty of room and that bridge is seldom a bottleneck even during rush hour.

Maliuz 06-30-2012 10:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by E-40six (Post 7963544)

Biker bails on knight st - YouTube

Is it just me, or does anyone else get freaking pissed off that there's not a single person on that sidewalk yet he chose to stick on the road causing a hazard to everyone including himself and whoever is in that carriage.

Yes I know it's illegal to ride on the sidewalk, but not illegal to ride like you own the fucking road and don't have to give a fuck about 2 ton metal objects travelling beside you.

Sorry for my rage, just had an encounter with these king of the road riders today.

Senna4ever 06-30-2012 10:44 PM

As a cyclist, I hate motorists. As a motorist, I hate cyclists. :p

fliptuner 06-30-2012 11:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maliuz (Post 7963703)
Is it just me, or does anyone else get freaking pissed off that there's not a single person on that sidewalk yet he chose to stick on the road causing a hazard to everyone including himself and whoever is in that carriage.

Yes I know it's illegal to ride on the sidewalk, but not illegal to ride like you own the fucking road and don't have to give a fuck about 2 ton metal objects travelling beside you.

Sorry for my rage, just had an encounter with these king of the road riders today.

I get what you're saying but no, as annoying as it is to go around cyclists, I'd rather they stick to the rules of the road as vehicles. Keep them off the sidewalk and off the crosswalks (unless they're actually walking their bike).

murd0c 07-01-2012 12:42 AM

The best thing about that video is you know thats a cracker and he's pulling his little cart of stolen shit. I so wish I would of seen that in person.

goo3 07-01-2012 01:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fliptuner (Post 7963744)
I get what you're saying but no, as annoying as it is to go around cyclists, I'd rather they stick to the rules of the road as vehicles. Keep them off the sidewalk and off the crosswalks (unless they're actually walking their bike).

Even better, there's a bike path 2 blocks over.

iKayChow 07-01-2012 06:40 AM

bought a expensive bike, loved that till i got my license, drove everyday after that.. when gas prices rose, went back to my bike, when i discovered how much cheaper a scooter is... well haven't touched the bike or car in over a month :fullofwin: 200-300km per 5L tank ftw :'( lol

E-40six 07-01-2012 07:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maliuz (Post 7963703)

The day that I caught him falling off bike was when my truck grossed out at 13500KG and the I had a loaded dump truck behind me.

there would've been no way we would've been able to stop in time if i didn't give him enough space to bail

Quote:

Originally Posted by murd0c (Post 7963787)
The best thing about that video is you know thats a cracker and he's pulling his little cart of stolen shit. I so wish I would of seen that in person.

Bang on right there

SkinnyPupp 07-01-2012 07:56 AM

One thing the "anti bike" people aren't considering is that sooner or later, cities are going to have to eliminate as many cars as they can. Oil is just getting too expensive, and the air is just getting too shitty to live in.

For the last 6 years I have been living in a city with awesome public transportation. You really don't need a car to live here at all, and it is awesome. I barely miss having a car - the only thing I really miss is road trips.

Anyway, my point is, it would be SO much better if it had good cycling infrastructure to go along with the good public transport. If that is the way Vancouver and other cities are going, that is a GOOD thing, not a bad thing, trust me.

Tapioca 07-01-2012 08:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp (Post 7963887)
One thing the "anti bike" people aren't considering is that sooner or later, cities are going to have to eliminate as many cars as they can. Oil is just getting too expensive, and the air is just getting too shitty to live in.

Never. We have gobs of oil in the ground and as long as the extraction is done in Alberta, it doesn't affect me in beautiful BC.

Air quality is great because I live in the island that is Vancouver. People in the Fraser Valley don't concern me.

Quote:

For the last 6 years I have been living in a city with awesome public transportation. You really don't need a car to live here at all, and it is awesome. I barely miss having a car - the only thing I really miss is road trips.

Taking the bus is for losers. Besides, I didn't leave Hong Kong just so that I would have to continue taking a bus or the Crime-Train.

Quote:

Anyway, my point is, it would be SO much better if it had good cycling infrastructure to go along with the good public transport. If that is the way Vancouver and other cities are going, that is a GOOD thing, not a bad thing, trust me.

I don't like cyclists because they serve as a reminder of everything I'm against:

- I hate hipsters because they're just so lame - living off their parents trust funds, drinking their fancy coffees, wearing their tight-ass jeans with their beards. I can't grow beards, I drink condensed milk with my caffeine, and I'm too fat because of all the gluten and sugar I eat to wear skinny jeans.
- Cycling is a lame form of exercise. Cyclists should be play team sports or lift.
- Cycling infrastructure in this city only serves those who live in the wealthy parts of town. I have to commute from Coquitlam to Delta because I actually work a real job that involves using my hands. (Secretly, I wish I could be one of those cycle commuters with office jobs, but nonetheless, I have to put on a front of resentment.)

:troll:

SkinnyPupp 07-01-2012 08:17 AM

lol I had my cursor hovering over the FAIL button, then I saw the trollface. Let's see if someone is fucking stupid enough to thank your sarcastic post :lawl: