REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Police Forum

Police Forum Police Head Mod: Skidmark
Questions & info about the Motor Vehicle Act. Mature discussion only.

Old 07-14-2012, 03:58 PM   #26
I subscribe to Revscene

That would be good, my only concern with that is getting kids out of child seats quickly enough. However, I'm sure with the reduction in collisions, the net deaths would still be lower.
Advertisement

Support Road safety through education, not speed enforcement.
sebberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 05:58 PM   #27
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Thanked 1,532 Times in 479 Posts
Let's ignore the fact that people don't like the idea, and think of how effective it would be.

Would you only do the limit if the police could impound your car for doing 10> over?

Why or why not?
Yodamaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 06:30 PM   #28
Need to Seek Professional Help

Thanked 1,100 Times in 259 Posts
Cops dont even do 50, i was next to one going up Oak on friday. I was matching his speed at 70.
Previous
1977 Firebird 5.7
1987 Iroc-Z 2.5
1998 Firebird 3.8
1992 BMW 325i 2.5
1994 Dodge Ram 5.2
1996 Dodge Ram 5.9
1996 Cavalier Z22 2.2
1997 Mustang Cobra 4.6
firebird79_00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 08:40 PM   #29
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

yo i have a great plan, how about we just reduce the speed limiter in cars to 50km/h!!!! that way, there will be no more accidents ever and everyone will live happily ever after!!! =)
ohoh we can also restrict the engine outputs and make high horsepower cars illegal, that way we can be more safe AND save the earth by being more green!!!

:noob:
46_valentinor is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-14-2012, 09:17 PM   #30
I subscribe to Revscene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yodamaster View Post
Let's ignore the fact that people don't like the idea, and think of how effective it would be.

Would you only do the limit if the police could impound your car for doing 10> over?

Why or why not?
I prefer to do the speed limit, I don't want or need a ticket. I also find that the speed limits are generally too low. I dislike doing the speed limit because they're usually frustratingly low, and let's face it - most people around are speeding.

It's a fact that your actual travel speed has less to do with your chance of being involved in a collision. The risk of crash goes up when the speed differential between cars grows.

So the solution is to implement strategies that focus less on absolute speed and and more on reducing the speed differential between cars.

The government doesn't want to increase speed limits (which has been shown to reduce the speed differential between vehicles and reduce crashes) so the only way to achieve this goal is to take a much more heavy handed approach to enforcing the current speed limit.

Of course I don't think impounds for 10 over is the way to go. It'll make drivers more tense and paranoid and that's not what we want. Photo radar doesn't work well either as that just puts drivers in a pressure cooker environment, made worse by forcing drivers to drive more slowly than the speed they would go naturally.

Solution: Eliminate absolute speed enforcement and focus solely on drivers driving significantly slower or faster than surrounding traffic, and drivers who are driving aggressively.

Old 07-15-2012, 05:45 AM   #31
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

Wow, maybe we should spend more time on some actual crime related offences. Tax payers are now paying for a licienced facility so the RCMP can drink at work. No accountability for abusive actions against the public, paid leave, ship there problems to B.C. I think speeding in B.C. is the last of this provinces worries.
LP560 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 01:47 PM   #32
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

Last edited by Corey Darling; 10-25-2014 at 06:55 PM.
Corey Darling is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-23-2012, 11:38 AM   #33
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

Couldn't agree with you more Corey, when was the last time the speed limits in B.C. were independantly reviewed. Technology has allowed cars to be safer than they have ever been.
Waffen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 11:49 AM   #34
I subscribe to Revscene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waffen View Post
When was the last time the speed limits in B.C. were independantly reviewed.
2003, where it was found that many speed limits were too low and increasing speed limits in test zones resulted in a reduction of collisions.

Review and Analysis of Posted Speed Limits and Speed Limit Setting Practices in British Columbia

Old 07-23-2012, 12:27 PM   #35
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 6,696 Times in 1,625 Posts
Biggest thing I noticed when I drove through Alberta was that EVERYONE stuck to the speed limit to a dot. I also noticed there are less cars, and the population is predominantly one culture.

Do each of these matter? Independantly, no, but as a whole, it determines the place you live at, and different places will exhibit different standards of living.

Vancouver is a city where even the police turn a blind-eye to 10~20 over the speed limit, unless they're in a bad mood. It is only "speeding" because of the limits we have in place. If the speed limit in cities were changed to 70km, would everyone that was doing 70 regularly all of a sudden start doing 90? No, probably not.

I'm sure OP had good intentions in starting the thread, but realistically, it is what it is. May not be agreeable to certain individuals, but again, it is what it is.
inv4zn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 12:43 PM   #36
I subscribe to Revscene

Quote:
Originally Posted by inv4zn View Post
Biggest thing I noticed when I drove through Alberta was that EVERYONE stuck to the speed limit to a dot. I also noticed there are less cars, and the population is predominantly one culture.
That's partly due to photo radar, but similar results can be achieved by setting more reasonable speed limits that gain a higher level of voluntary compliance by drivers.

I absolutely HATE driving in Alberta. Even if traffic flows more consistently, there's still a fair bit of aggression and no driver needs to be driving around constantly worried that letting their speed slip up by a few kph will result in a ticket.

This post thanked by:
Old 08-16-2012, 10:12 PM   #37
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 4,905 Times in 1,655 Posts
Losing your car for 3 days for doing 90 in an 80KMH zone? I'd be moving. That's just ridiculous. The 40 over laws... I don't like them BUT i understand them. If that makes sense. On top of that, 99/100 times you could drive at 60 in a 50, or 90 in an 80, and if a cop had radar on you, would not give you a ticket.
dared3vil0 is offline   Reply With Quote