REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 07-15-2012, 11:04 AM   #101
My homepage has been set to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidTurbo View Post
Actually, to be serious, I can't think of one reason why it's somehow morally reprehensible to eat a dog, but not a pig. Seems like the reason people find shark fin so bad to eat is because of the wastage.

What if there was no wastage, and the share was slaughter and sustainably fished? Would people still be okay with shark fin then? (Although prices would probably skyrocket)
because 100% of the dogs out there are purposely bred as pets whereas 100% of pigs are bred as food. if u start a dog farm specifically to breed dogs as food thats different. of course people in other cultures will still think its fucked up because they dont know no better and to them ur eating mans best friend lol
Advertisement
drunkrussian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 11:06 AM   #102
!SG
OWNER/C.F.O./MONEYMAN

Thanked 2,253 Times in 626 Posts
hmm, pro life or pro choice?

Ebisu VIP #001
Revscene.net Vendors
JP Cellular Repair | Ebisu on Robson | Wings Restaurant Pub & Grill Burnaby | Overseas Auto | BlitzGear Inc | HID Outlet | Sounds Good Auto Service | Racing Greed | The Speed Syndicate | N-Motion Auto | Performance One |

If you are interested in advertising on Revscene.net, email me at Advertisement@revscene.net for further details.
!SG is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-15-2012, 11:07 AM   #103
resident Oil Guru

Thanked 10,457 Times in 1,794 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
"Tradition" is almost always a bullshit excuse for people to do really fucked up shit. Often goes hand in hand with "Religion"
So true.

Relevant study:

LiquidTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-15-2012, 11:08 AM   #104
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

time to move to some other over priced food source

member of the "Go To Jail For BoA Anytime Crew"
URA RENGE - Taijutsu Master of the Hidden Revscene Village

{o,o} ......ya rly!
/)__)
-"-"-
PSN: AznAlien
Grandmaster TSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 11:08 AM   #105
resident Oil Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkrussian View Post
because 100% of the dogs out there are purposely bred as pets whereas 100% of pigs are bred as food. if u start a dog farm specifically to breed dogs as food thats different. of course people in other cultures will still think its fucked up because they dont know no better and to them ur eating mans best friend lol
Never heard of a wild dog or a wild pig?
This post thanked by:
Old 07-15-2012, 12:07 PM   #106
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,822 Times in 3,903 Posts
this chung guy is an idiot...
Keeping the food chain in check? LOL
you mean like how the Chinese medicine market just about wiped every tiger from the face of this planet?
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-15-2012, 12:18 PM   #107
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkrussian View Post
Not quite. Dogs were originally wild animals, and there are still many nations out there where they're not kept as pets. Hell, the sled dogs we use up North are still pretty damn feral and are not classified as "pets."

Much like seals, whales and other animals that are hunted, people protest against them because we either have some sort of emotional attachment to them (dogs) or because they have a cute, baby face (seals) or because they look majestic (whales). People protest out of emotion, not because of facts. There are nations around the world where they breed gerbils purely for food. It's not a well known fact, but I'm sure if it was, there would be a giant upraising about that as well. Why? Because in our society, they're considered pets. However, show those same people a snake or some sort of spider that is becoming endangered due to over hunting and they'll most likely shrug their shoulders and say, "Who cares?" Why? Again, it's not cute and they don't have the same sort of emotional attachment to an uglier creature, even if it's more important to the ecosystem than seals or dogs.
Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-15-2012, 12:19 PM   #108
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,260 Times in 321 Posts
Quote:
Chung said shark finning provides jobs for people in developing countries and balances the food system. As a top predator, if sharks are left unchecked, they’ll consume more and more fish, he said.

“If they’re not being hunted or they’re not being killed, a lot of things would change too. The way I see it, the Chinese people have become part of the food chain that keeps things in check.”

asahai69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 01:38 PM   #109
Wanna have a threesome?

Thanked 5,054 Times in 1,657 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lomac View Post
Not quite. Dogs were originally wild animals, and there are still many nations out there where they're not kept as pets. Hell, the sled dogs we use up North are still pretty damn feral and are not classified as "pets."

Much like seals, whales and other animals that are hunted, people protest against them because we either have some sort of emotional attachment to them (dogs) or because they have a cute, baby face (seals) or because they look majestic (whales). People protest out of emotion, not because of facts. There are nations around the world where they breed gerbils purely for food. It's not a well known fact, but I'm sure if it was, there would be a giant upraising about that as well. Why? Because in our society, they're considered pets. However, show those same people a snake or some sort of spider that is becoming endangered due to over hunting and they'll most likely shrug their shoulders and say, "Who cares?" Why? Again, it's not cute and they don't have the same sort of emotional attachment to an uglier creature, even if it's more important to the ecosystem than seals or dogs.
The commercial slaughter of whales is prohibited because many species were hunted to the brink of extinction, not because they're majestic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidTurbo View Post
Actually, to be serious, I can't think of one reason why it's somehow morally reprehensible to eat a dog, but not a pig. Seems like the reason people find shark fin so bad to eat is because of the wastage.

What if there was no wastage, and the share was slaughter and sustainably fished? Would people still be okay with shark fin then? (Although prices would probably skyrocket)
There is no good reason that can be offered for why one should feel comfortable eating a pig, but not eating a dog. I can give you a reason some might offer as a counterpoint, though. Pescetarians eat fish, but refrain from eating other animals. They believe eating fish is acceptable because they are physically less complex than a mammal, and therefore the slaughter of the fish will not induce an unacceptable degree of suffering. A person who believes eating a dog is immoral, but a pig moral, would argue that the slaughter of the dog would create a greater degree of suffering by virtue of it's unique physical evolution (which a case could be made for, but I'll refrain from doing that here). I don't agree with that argument per se, but I'll put it out there.

If there was no wastage, sharks were humanly harvested, and could be sustainably fished, I would be as okay with it as I am any other form of factory harvest of animals.

Last edited by MindBomber; 07-15-2012 at 02:40 PM.
MindBomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 01:43 PM   #110
Head Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MindBomber View Post
The commercial slaughter of whales is prohibited because many species were hunted to the brink of extinction, not because they're majestic.
Oh, I'm aware of that. However, I'm positive that if you asked random people off the street as to why they're against whale hunting, very few will actually say it's because of overhunting. It goes back to my emotions vs facts comment.
Old 07-15-2012, 03:27 PM   #111
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
I haven't read everything in here, but already know exactly what I need to say. People say who are we to regulate what they can eat? Who decides wether its moral or not?
It has nothing to do with a "hey its not ok to eat this because its an amazing animal and we like it"
Its the fact that nearly the entire industry has inhumane methods of acquiring the products, and has no regard for the sustainability of the species. Types of sharks are being fished to near extinction. Thats why it has to stop. Don't fucking compare it to cows or even foie gras. Types of cows and ducks are not on the brink of extinction due to our consumption. We don't cut the sirloin of the cow and leave it to bleed to death on a pasture. We don't tear the liver out of the duck and leave it to die of blood poisoning.
Keep on thinking like that. What if the gov decides to BAN RS tomorrow? Or Ban youtube? or BAN facebook for xxxx reason. Keep thinking that way and Canada might turn into China one day where if you go against the gov you are thrown in jail.

The gov can't control what we eat/think/do....... unless of coz you want that to happen. Why should the gov tell us what we can eat or can not eat?

Is a tough call and honestly it won't really fly. Sure Canada might ban Shark fin but what about other parts of the world? If only a few countries is doing it, it won't have a major effect. Ppl will just eat it elsewhere.

The key is to educate people why it is bad to consume Shark fin. It might take time but it is more effective that way.
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 10:44 PM   #112
resident Oil Guru

Quote:

There is no good reason that can be offered for why one should feel comfortable eating a pig, but not eating a dog. I can give you a reason some might offer as a counterpoint, though. Pescetarians eat fish, but refrain from eating other animals. They believe eating fish is acceptable because they are physically less complex than a mammal, and therefore the slaughter of the fish will not induce an unacceptable degree of suffering. A person who believes eating a dog is immoral, but a pig moral, would argue that the slaughter of the dog would create a greater degree of suffering by virtue of it's unique physical evolution (which a case could be made for, but I'll refrain from doing that here). I don't agree with that argument per se, but I'll put it out there.

If there was no wastage, sharks were humanly harvested, and could be sustainably fished, I would be as okay with it as I am any other form of factory harvest of animals.
That argument sounds weak at best, especially since a pig is easily as intelligent and capable as a pet as a dog. I have nothing against meateaters, but it annoys the hell outta me when people proclaim disgust in eating dogs while chomping down on bacon, but I digress.
Old 07-15-2012, 11:44 PM   #113
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,816 Times in 8,190 Posts
I agree, I hate it when people crusade against eating certain animals, just because they have one as a pet. I am against wasteful consumption, and against endangering species, and against mistreatment. Other than that, whatever floats yer boat man.
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-20-2012, 02:56 AM   #114
:inoutugh:

Thanked 5,833 Times in 1,836 Posts
omnomnomnom, sharkfin stash

TOS'd is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 11-20-2012, 02:57 AM   #115
#deephouse

Thanked 4,704 Times in 1,243 Posts
Yummy
knight604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 10:39 AM   #116
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,168 Times in 7,157 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.HappySilp View Post
Keep on thinking like that. What if the gov decides to BAN RS tomorrow? Or Ban youtube? or BAN facebook for xxxx reason. Keep thinking that way and Canada might turn into China one day where if you go against the gov you are thrown in jail.

The gov can't control what we eat/think/do....... unless of coz you want that to happen. Why should the gov tell us what we can eat or can not eat?

Is a tough call and honestly it won't really fly. Sure Canada might ban Shark fin but what about other parts of the world? If only a few countries is doing it, it won't have a major effect. Ppl will just eat it elsewhere.

The key is to educate people why it is bad to consume Shark fin. It might take time but it is more effective that way.
I agree education is in order, but the reason government is there is to step in when a society is lacking in knowledge, resources, or moral compass to govern themselves. Granted sometimes the far overstep those boundaries, and sometimes they won't go far enough. How can you compare banning RS to banning a practice that is a massive cause of inhumane killing of endangered species? We aren't talking about the government coming into someones personal life and hobbies and stepping in here, we are talking about environmental protection.
westopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 12:03 PM   #117
Wanna have a threesome?

Great news!

Quote:
“People said it was impossible to change China, but the evidence we are now getting says consumption of shark fin soup in China is down by 50 to 70 percent in the last two years,” said Peter Knights, executive director of WildAid, a San Francisco-based group that has promoted awareness about the shark trade. The drop is also reflected in government and industry statistics.

“It is a myth that people in Asia don’t care about wildlife,” Knights said. “Consumption is based on ignorance rather than malice.
In China, victory for wildlife conservation as citizens persuaded to give up shark fin soup - The Washington Post
Old 10-23-2013, 12:42 PM   #118
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Quote:
“Nobody likes the idea of banning this eating of shark fin because it’s our right to eat things like this.”
I hate how every time there is someone has nothing to defend their point, they immediately pull the 'human rights' card without any clue of what the Constitution Acts actually defines and protects.

This is as annoying as the race card.

McDonald's employees gave me wrong drink due to language barrier? Human rights issue!
Geoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 07:08 PM   #119
degenerate extraordinaire

Eat less in China, consume more whilst in Canada?
He would step out of his freshly downtown autospa detailed 996 C4s, check out his own reflection in the driverside window out of habit, take off his brand new limited edition D&G aviator sunglasses so the mf can see the fury in his eyes, sashay over to the other guy and then threaten to insert his black leather Savatore Ferragamo loafers into the guys rear-end.
Ikkaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 07:35 PM   #120
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,495 Times in 1,692 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchyzero View Post
this chung guy is an idiot...
Keeping the food chain in check? LOL
you mean like how the Chinese medicine market just about wiped every tiger from the face of this planet?
+1. This Chung dude is a selfish and greedy idiot. "Keeping tradition" alive is a lame excuse when you think how important sharks are to the marine ecosystem of our oceans.

If this idiot saw how much damage our oceans are experiencing right now with overfishing, garbage, pollution, and Fukoshima nuclear radiation from Japan maybe he would think twice about fighting the ban.

When a buddy of mine said he saw a lifeless coral reef when he was scuba diving in the south Pacific, I felt angry at these greedy scumbags like Chung. Another greedy idiot who only wants to profit at the expense of the oceans.

He's definitely not speaking for all Chinese, especially local born guys like me when it comes to liking shark fin soup.

For the sake of our oceans, I hope this shark fin ban goes into full effect.
Old 10-23-2013, 07:37 PM   #121
Head Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoc View Post
McDonald's employees gave me wrong drink due to language barrier? Human rights issue!
Whatever happened to that?
Old 10-23-2013, 07:56 PM   #122
Wanna have a threesome?

Old news, but because the thread was never updated.

Burnaby, Delta, Richmond, and Vancouver decided against banning shark fin; calling it a "federal issue." Meanwhile, multiple other Lower Mainland municipalities have banned shark fin.

NDP MP Fin Donnelly of New Westminster introduced bill C-380 proposing the banning of shark fin imports, while Cons MP Alive Wong of Richmond vowed to oppose any action to ban shark fin imports and called the bill "culturally insensitive." The bill was struck down by the Cons who widely opposed it for random technical reasons and used the scape goat diversion that they would explore options to ban shark fin imports.
Old 10-23-2013, 09:40 PM   #123
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,822 Times in 3,903 Posts
Quote:

NDP MP Fin Donnelly of New Westminster introduced bill C-380 proposing the banning of shark fin imports
why would anyone wanna ban their own kind
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-24-2013, 12:52 AM   #124
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

Thanked 3,177 Times in 621 Posts
^I think he's trying to protect his own kind

-2018 BMW F30 340i M Performance Edition - Current
-2016 BMW F32 435i MPPK - Traded
-2011 BMW E92 335i - SOLD
-2009 Chrysler Sebring Convertible - SOLD
xXSupa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 12:09 PM   #125
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Thanked 1,532 Times in 479 Posts
Killing off sharks to the point of extinction, just so that you can use their tasteless fins for an overpriced soup, is criminal.
Yodamaster is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: