REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 07-24-2012, 02:38 PM   #26
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,910 Times in 606 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bballguy View Post
Oh shi-....
Weak willed people who have the same ideology as you is the reason we have bullshit like the patriot act
Advertisement
Sid Vicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 02:44 PM   #27
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,587 Times in 631 Posts
Right, keep directing all these comments at me, when there is a head mod in this thread, sharing the exact same thoughts as I am...What, are you scared to call him out? Why don't you quote and reply his posts?....

Last edited by bballguy; 07-24-2012 at 02:57 PM.
bballguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 02:49 PM   #28
Official Texas Ambassador

Thanked 5,671 Times in 1,324 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by parm104 View Post
Parm101? When did he accuse you of being a participant? In what context...?

My bad. It was StylinRed. You guys were so alike in the C-304 thread so alike I mis-attributed that statement to you. I made a mistake in referencing you and for that I apologize for not fact checking. Also, I got your name wrong. Double fail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bballguy View Post
Right, keep directing all these comments at me, when there is a head mod in this thread, sharing the exact same thoughts as I am...What, are you scared to call him out? Why don't you quote and reply this his posts?....
While people are calling you a retard for having your own feelings on the matter, I don't think they believe you as a person are retarded but are trying to passionately express to you what they consider to be a dangerously cavalier attitude toward the idea of ubiquitous surveillance presence in our day to day lives.
She taught me right from wrong and always told me to stay positive and help others no matter how small the deed - that helping others gives us meaning to carry on. The sun is out today and it's a new day. Life is good. I just needed a slap in the face.
El Bastardo is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-24-2012, 03:00 PM   #29
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,587 Times in 631 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Bastardo View Post
While people are calling you a retard for having your own feelings on the matter, I don't think they believe you as a person are retarded but are trying to passionately express to you what they consider to be a dangerously cavalier attitude toward the idea of ubiquitous surveillance presence in our day to day lives.
I don't really mind people calling me a retard or passionately expressing something however they want. What I do find amusing is that they'll reply to all my posts in a degrading manner, fail them, but seem afraid to quote and reply to Lomac's in the same manner, or even fail him, when, essentially, he is sharing the same thoughts as I am on the subject...
bballguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 03:13 PM   #30
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 3,855 Times in 889 Posts
i am impartial towards this, but i will play the devils advocate.

all the points brought up with the concern that information collected can be used against you in the future is irrelevant. facebook has access to all your photos, status updates, relationship statuses. hotmail has your emails. google has all your search history. your service provider has your phone records. visa has all your transactions ever made. everything you've ever signed up for is digitized and available somewhere. if anyone wants to use your information against you, they can do it in a million different ways. corporations can easily sell off your personal information for "marketing" (and you don't even know it), so who's to say they're not already selling it off to some lunatic who plans on hunting down jews?

all your personal information is already readily available. the government keeping a record of it doesn't mean your information was never available before and now all of a sudden it is. yes, you signed up for those services voluntarily, but if your concern is about others having access to your personal information, you should probably stop using those services.

the government exists to serve and protect the nation and its citizens. if there are terrorists that are hidden within the said nation and among its said citizens, they pose a threat to everyone else. how do they weed out your terrorist neighbor who is pretending to be a normal american living a normal american life? if having access to such information could prevent the next bombing, and possibly save you or your loved ones lives, what would your take on this be?

if the government doesnt prevent shit from happening, people complain they didnt do enough. if the government tries to take measures to do so, people complain they're overstepping their boundaries.

the only real argument here is whether it violates your rights, but that argument will go nowhere. you demand freedom and rights, the government is fighting to let you have those freedom and rights.

the government will never win, people will never be happy. maybe one day when corporations start running major aspects of the government, our tunes will change.
bobbinka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 03:30 PM   #31
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lomac View Post
Let's be honest here. A good chunk of people crying foul at the government spying on them are probably the same people who will post their every thought and every moment onto their Facebook or Twitter account. They're probably the same people who don't give a second thought to filling out form after form with their personal information when signing up for a website. No, not everyone is like this, but I have no doubt many are.
That is bullshit.

The people I know who strongly value their personal freedoms and privacy DO NOT use facebook/twitter, and if they do, they keep it highly anonymous.

The people who post photos every night they go out, and update status 12 times a day with the current address they are at, are the ones like you. The people who don't give a sh!t about privacy.

I bet future studies will quantify (if they haven't already) the fact that the more boring, dull, and uninteresting a person is, the more they engage in 'social' media.

I have a number of email accounts, and unless I will be using my credit card, and have no choice, I generally give fake/vague sign up info. Hell, I'd probably give the video store a fake phone number if I felt they were gathering/distributing information about me.

Is it because I am a paranoid schizo? nope. Regularly committing illegal acts I am trying to hide from prying eyes? nope.

But I want my life to be mine, not the world's, and I feel like other people should have that right too.
Hurricane is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-24-2012, 04:06 PM   #32
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 4,799 Times in 1,763 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurricane View Post
That is bullshit.

The people I know who strongly value their personal freedoms and privacy DO NOT use facebook/twitter, and if they do, they keep it highly anonymous.

The people who post photos every night they go out, and update status 12 times a day with the current address they are at, are the ones like you. The people who don't give a sh!t about privacy.

I bet future studies will quantify (if they haven't already) the fact that the more boring, dull, and uninteresting a person is, the more they engage in 'social' media.

I have a number of email accounts, and unless I will be using my credit card, and have no choice, I generally give fake/vague sign up info. Hell, I'd probably give the video store a fake phone number if I felt they were gathering/distributing information about me.

Is it because I am a paranoid schizo? nope. Regularly committing illegal acts I am trying to hide from prying eyes? nope.

But I want my life to be mine, not the world's, and I feel like other people should have that right too.
Right on.
I don't have a facebook/twitter account, and like you use fake info with an email account I created with fake info if it's for something unimportant.
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is offline   Reply With Quote