REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   Don't Become a Victim of Smartphone Theft (https://www.revscene.net/forums/671359-dont-become-victim-smartphone-theft.html)

twitchyzero 07-24-2012 07:40 PM

Don't Become a Victim of Smartphone Theft

Hello RS

Over the past few months a few of my friends have been losing their phone due to their willingness to help others...very unfortunate.

I know this is common sense to most people but just a friendly reminder to not lend your phones to anyone.

Today, someone I know got a knife pulled on them after booking off with their iphone.

The other day someone else I know was studying at a library, and some dbag pretend to have a dropped call during an emergency call. He asked my friend if he can borrow the iphone quickly and to reconnect that emergency call. My friend agreed because the thief still had his stuff nearby so didn't think twice about him just running off with it. The thief simply walked away with a iphone and my friend was left with the thief bag full of old clothing.

Also, if you dont need to use your phone..just keep it in your pocket or purse if you are a female. Unless you are a socialite that texts 500 times a day it's best to keep attention away from lurking scumbags.

Lastly, please find a good tracking app, preferrably one that can take photos with front camera, record calls, retrieve call logs and can sustain factory reset and sim card swap.

Oh and back up your shit regularly.

that's all

RRxtar 07-24-2012 09:03 PM

or buy a blackberry. no one wants to even touch my phone. :fuckthatshit:

:okay:

dlo 07-24-2012 09:04 PM

^ LOL still rockin the blackberrys till the day they die!!

yeah sucks how people are like that, juss be careful i suppose

SkinnyPupp 07-24-2012 09:18 PM

Also, don't leave your headphone cords hanging out. Over here it is getting to be a problem where people are coming down from the mainland on "fishing" expeditions. And yes, they actually use fish hooks to snag loose headphone cords, and pull them out of bags and pockets.

BossFrancis 07-24-2012 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp (Post 7984895)
Also, don't leave your headphone cords hanging out. Over here it is getting to be a problem where people are coming down from the mainland on "fishing" expeditions. And yes, they actually use fish hooks to snag loose headphone cords, and pull them out of bags and pockets.

:fulloffuck: Most people have the stock Apple earphones anyway lool or something similar to that. Dumb thieves.

SkinnyPupp 07-24-2012 09:21 PM

They're not stealing the headphones, they are using the headphones to steal the phones they are attached to

nns 07-24-2012 09:23 PM

Yea, I never understood why people always leave their phone on the table when they sit down at a restaurant. Quit showing off. Shove it into your pocket.

Great68 07-24-2012 09:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nns (Post 7984904)
Yea, I never understood why people always leave their phone on the table when they sit down at a restaurant. Quit showing off. Shove it into your pocket.

Because it's un-fucking-comfortable to have a 4" square chunk of plastic/metal in your pants pocket while you're sitting at a table.

?uestlove 07-24-2012 09:53 PM

i guess i'm the only person that has someone at knife point while they borrow my smart phone.

not takin no fuckin chances.

bballguy 07-24-2012 09:53 PM

Quote:

lol showing off a phone?? I'm pretty sure most people have one.....

SkinnyPupp 07-24-2012 10:15 PM

Back in the day, when there were a million different phones, I think that's what a lot of people did. I remember tables at bars and cafes being covered in phones

tiger_handheld 07-24-2012 10:25 PM

can anyone suggest some good tracking apps - that can work in stealth mode or as system setting.

Culverin 07-24-2012 10:37 PM

^
This.

I've never really thought about it and I've never really looked into it much, but if there's something for Android, I'd sure like it have it on my phone, just in case.
My phone is my backup key for my gmail and without that, I'm pretty hooped.

twitchyzero 07-24-2012 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tiger_handheld (Post 7984955)
can anyone suggest some good tracking apps - that can work in stealth mode or as system setting.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Culverin (Post 7984966)
^
This.

I've never really thought about it and I've never really looked into it much, but if there's something for Android, I'd sure like it have it on my phone, just in case.
My phone is my backup key for my gmail and without that, I'm pretty hooped.

For android check out Avast security for free app
or cerberus...i think it's $5

Quote:

Originally Posted by RRxtar (Post 7984883)
or buy a blackberry. no one wants to even touch my phone. :fuckthatshit:

you know i was gonna say the same thing...even androids probably aren't really targeted by theives..unless you have a shiny new S3 or the 1X

pinn3r 07-24-2012 11:04 PM

go blackberry or go home

hongy 07-24-2012 11:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Great68 (Post 7984925)
Because it's un-fucking-comfortable to have a 4" square chunk of plastic/metal in your pants pocket while you're sitting at a table.

Even worse when you have a galaxy nexus, Samsung s3,one x, etc. Don't know how anyone can have 4.6inch+ phones in their pockets.

FerrariEnzo 07-24-2012 11:36 PM

Awww yea, time to bring out my old school nokia

http://i2.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/...leshooting.jpg

If anyone wants it, I dont mind them running away with it!

bing 07-24-2012 11:44 PM

^Snakes, totally miss that game!

Mike Oxbig 07-24-2012 11:59 PM

Are all the people that got their phone stolen by Caucasian men?

ilovebacon 07-25-2012 05:14 AM

Lol I never lost a phone in my life!

bballguy 07-25-2012 05:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ilovebacon (Post 7985126)

Wow, that's amazing!!

Supafly 07-25-2012 06:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp (Post 7984895)

These people need to play the fishing game at PNE...:fullofwin:

nns 07-25-2012 06:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Great68 (Post 7984925)

I would say I understand, but I'm not sure I do. I have a Galaxy S2 LTE, which has a 4.5" screen, that sits in my left pocket. In that very same pocket is also my wallet. At work, I am constantly bending down or in a crouched position. By no means are my pockets anything special, just regular old pockets.

I mean, I can't argue that it's uncomfortable for you guys, but I personally get by alright.

murd0c 07-25-2012 07:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ilovebacon (Post 7985126)

How many times have you dropped it in water?

iKayChow 07-25-2012 07:40 AM

Quote:

in my case i have a 5.3" phone that will be sitting in my pocket :alone: