REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 08-07-2012, 07:02 AM   #1
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,907 Times in 754 Posts
*LOCAL* Craigslist transaction goes bad @ Oakridge Mall

Vancouver

A private online sale went very publicly sour Monday afternoon when the buyer pepper-sprayed the seller and fled with the item without paying.

The incident resulted in the temporary closure of the Oakridge Mall food court, where the transaction had been set up to take place.

The seller, a 27-year-old Vancouver man, and two bystanders were hit by the spray just after 3 p.m.

Police wouldn’t describe the item or say on which website the two agreed to the sale.

The three victims were treated by paramedics at the scene and released, according to a police media release.

No one is in custody and police are still investigating.

Police are asking anyone with information to phone CrimeStoppers at 1 (800) 222-8477.

Read more: Vancouver

pretty gutsy to rob someone at a mall with pepper spray...so watch out everyone and be leary when selling your stuff!
Advertisement
Acura604 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-07-2012, 07:09 AM   #2
Glorious Gaming PC Master Race

how stupid must you be to rob someone in a mall with security cams everywhere?
Old 08-07-2012, 07:12 AM   #3
MiX iT Up!

Thanked 2,066 Times in 865 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acura604 View Post
Vancouver

A private online sale went very publicly sour Monday afternoon when the buyer pepper-sprayed the seller and fled with the item without paying.

The incident resulted in the temporary closure of the Oakridge Mall food court, where the transaction had been set up to take place.

The seller, a 27-year-old Vancouver man, and two bystanders were hit by the spray just after 3 p.m.

Police wouldn’t describe the item or say on which website the two agreed to the sale.

The three victims were treated by paramedics at the scene and released, according to a police media release.

No one is in custody and police are still investigating.

Police are asking anyone with information to phone CrimeStoppers at 1 (800) 222-8477.

Read more: Vancouver

pretty gutsy to rob someone at a mall with pepper spray...so watch out everyone and be leary when selling your stuff!

VANCOUVER SUN Head line: Vancouver’s Oakridge Mall shut down after Craigslist transactionturns into pepper spray robbery
could've been kijiji #justsayin

Sometimes we tend to be in despair when the person we love leaves us, but the truth is, it's not our loss, but theirs, for they left the only person who couldn't give up on them.

Make the effort and take the risk..

"Do what you feel in your heart to be right- for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't." - Eleanor Roosevelt
tiger_handheld is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-07-2012, 07:17 AM   #4
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

damn must've been another CA or them ed hardy crap again
iKayChow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 07:42 AM   #5
My homepage has been set to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger_handheld View Post
VANCOUVER SUN Head line: Vancouver’s Oakridge Mall shut down after Craigslist transactionturns into pepper spray robbery
could've been kijiji #justsayin
police try to hide it but the newspaper does its best to find a leak and publishes what they want. havent u ever watched the wire fool?!
drunkrussian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 08:17 AM   #6
I bringith the lowerballerith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo E View Post
Apparently pretty fucking stupid.Just a matter of time before this dumbfuck gets caught.
spyker is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-07-2012, 08:20 AM   #7
The RS Freebie guru

Thanked 2,491 Times in 860 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo E View Post
At this point, he's ballsy. Not until he's caught, is he stupid.

Man, the seller did everything right... met in a public place and everything. Still got robbed.
InvisibleSoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 08:23 AM   #8
I bringith the lowerballerith

I have made plenty of transactions on CL,buying and selling.I always meet in a mall parking lot during the day or on a weekend.I own 3 pitbulls and I always bring meanest one and let the person I'm dealing with see I have it sitting in the car.
spyker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 08:29 AM   #9
Banned (ABWS)

is it just me or is vancouver's crime rate on the rise? first it were the cellphone grab n run and now this?
guava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 08:44 AM   #10
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

Thats really unfortunate. Kinda worries me because I do a lot of buying and selling of various goods some really pricey some not but it would be amusing if someone tried to do that to me in a public area while selling them a hatch or other misc car part haha... Lets see them get away with that!! My guess is it was something small and valuable. But not entirely surprised I've met some major idiots on there, one guy accused me of being a car theif cuz I didn't know the accident history of one of my cars and my name resembled a theifs, (not even the same name just some same letters)
BlackHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 09:13 AM   #11
I'm better than you.

Thanked 3,087 Times in 658 Posts
I probably wouldn't have seen it coming either, but I try my best to scope out of the area and person I'm going to be meeting. Depending on the value of what I'm selling/buying, I'll probably bring a friend with me. I've had a few situations where the guy sounded sketchy as fuck, so I would just back out of meeting him. Based on the article, it sounded like he did everything right except maybe show up with a buddy or something.

'14 Toyota Yaris [Work Daily]
'89 Toyota Cressida MX83 [Collector's status]
'15 Honda Ruckus [Summer cruiser]
'96 Toyota Hilux Surf KZN185 [Weekend Warrior]

Buy & Sell Ratings!
b0unce. [?] is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-07-2012, 09:32 AM   #12

Thanked 2,459 Times in 1,126 Posts
What happened to the seller is definitely unfortunate, but the reality is that it's still safe to sell things via Craigslist, Kijiji, etc.

I've sold and bought a few things via Craigslist over the years and I've found roommates using Craigslist. You really need to use your judgement whenever you sell things privately. You know what are my giveaways?

- Poor grammar in the initial email message
- Bad phone manner
- Calling an inopportune/non-sensible times

And more often than not, if you take the time to compose an ad that is written properly, with a proper description, and a fair price, you'll keep away the scammers and sketchy people.
Tapioca is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-07-2012, 09:34 AM   #13
I'm better than you.

Thanked 3,087 Times in 658 Posts
my favorite is getting an email inquiry from the nigerian prince.

'14 Toyota Yaris [Work Daily]
'89 Toyota Cressida MX83 [Collector's status]
'15 Honda Ruckus [Summer cruiser]
'96 Toyota Hilux Surf KZN185 [Weekend Warrior]

Buy & Sell Ratings!
b0unce. [?] is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-07-2012, 10:00 AM   #14
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,091 Times in 773 Posts
blenz in richmond is best.

Sit outside.

Sit on the outside part of the fence. Have the person Sit inside. Sit side by side.

He isn't going anywhere if he's gonna jack your shit.
Meowjin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 10:18 AM   #15
Banned (ABWS)?

Thanked 3,984 Times in 1,689 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by guava View Post
is it just me or is vancouver's crime rate on the rise? first it were the cellphone grab n run and now this?
Shit just happens sometimes.
I wouldn't use one (or a few) bad examples to label crime rate going up or CL transaction as being dangerous.
I've personally used CL at least 25 times and never had any problems ever. Not even flaking.

At the very least in this case, he got robbed where there's security cameras all over,
vs somewhere dark in a back alley where he would then be SOL.
AzNightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 10:21 AM   #16
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 3,733 Times in 954 Posts
Reminds me of the ipad thing at Landsdown.
trollface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 10:32 AM   #17
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,454 Times in 813 Posts
These things get kind of out of hand. I understand you don't want someone coming back to break into your house or anything but I barely meet people out of my way.

Whenever I sell a item, I'll let the buyer come to my home. Unless we agree I live too far away, then it's a typical spot (restaurant parking lot/mall) in the middle.

I've never been ripped off, and if I did get ripped off at my house. You definately wouldn't be walking/driving/crawling away.
[17-03, 09:23] Amuro Ray is it normal for my dick to have things growing on it?
Quote:
[15-05, 13:34] FastAnna You guise are like diet coke and I am the mentos
[15-05, 13:34] FastAnna Incredible. How easy it is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by murd0c View Post
I'm scared of spiders... When I see one I toss my cats at it
melloman is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-07-2012, 10:53 AM   #18
G
Banned (BBM)

Is it me or is Oakridge really getting poor reputation from robberies, shootings, and this random shit?

I've sold/bought some stuff off CL and there are some details you gotta realize before you meet up with the person if its an expensive good. Some people listed some above, but for me, I like to google their email and see if anything pops up, usually its a good indicator if you find something about their email. I also put it into FB and see if a profile pops up. If it's some asian guy with his shirt off and has dragon tattoos while holding a machete(), I know i'm not gonna proceed with this transaction unless its in front of a police station or if its some cheap item.

I usually meet buyers or sellers at a really crowded place/corner where it's hard for them to get away, I find Metrotown is a pre good location, like, infront of Sportchek or something or at the food court. Althought having this incident happen at a foodcourt is ballsy lol. Pretty sure they will get 100% caught due to all the cameras an witnesses..

Hope this helps!
G is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-07-2012, 12:03 PM   #19
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Yeah I tend to do some stalking and find out who the person is to be safe. I tend to trust people more if they sell something on RevScene because most of the members are genuine people and not some total stranger who could be psychopathic. Why can't the police disclose what the item was? Was it drugs or what lol.
BossFrancis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 12:11 PM   #20
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,091 Times in 773 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by melloman View Post
These things get kind of out of hand. I understand you don't want someone coming back to break into your house or anything but I barely meet people out of my way.

Whenever I sell a item, I'll let the buyer come to my home. Unless we agree I live too far away, then it's a typical spot (restaurant parking lot/mall) in the middle.

I've never been ripped off, and if I did get ripped off at my house. You definately wouldn't be walking/driving/crawling away.
I can't wait to rob you.
Meowjin is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-07-2012, 12:13 PM   #21
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 2,420 Times in 669 Posts
another ipad sale gone wrong
Old 08-07-2012, 12:14 PM   #22

Wow, you guys really go in depth before selling an item. I guess either I trust people too easily or the items I sold were not valuable enough for them to pull this on me.
Old 08-07-2012, 12:24 PM   #23
Zionism gets my shell hard and slimy

Thanked 6,021 Times in 1,129 Posts
this happened to a couiple people i know, in exaclty this way in the lower mainland within the last year or two, a 7000$ procharger was stolen from my friend from a brown guy driving a mustang, walked up to him, maced him and left, people suck..
snails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 12:26 PM   #24
dlo
Los Bastardo owned my ass at least once

Thanked 7,930 Times in 1,432 Posts
yeah i would just make em go into my car... good luck macing us both inside
[08-12, 00:25] Iceman-19 the owner was someone i knew. trusted him. that blew up in my face like i was a 19 year old jap girl at a bukkake party.
dlo is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 08-07-2012, 12:31 PM   #25
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 2,485 Times in 1,007 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by melloman View Post
Whenever I sell a item, I'll let the buyer come to my home.
this is a no no, i would never let anyone come to my house for an item.. if its a big item, i rather sell to friends of family at a steeper loss...