REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 08-10-2012, 10:02 AM   #1
In RS I Trust

Thanked 17,581 Times in 4,297 Posts
Ethnic rule riles Surrey soccer mom

I'm just wondering what some others opnions on this is? seeing stories like this for myself is very frustrating because growing up I was always taught everyone is equal and skin color doesn't matter but seeing a story like this especially calling the white kids "imports" really shows why there is racism in society and why it could be getting worse these days.

Ethnic rule riles Surrey soccer mom

Quote:
Debbie Christiansen is upset after her son's soccer team was barred from tournaments because they have too many nonIndo-Canadian players.

The Surrey mom said her son and his U13 teammates from the BC Tigers Sports Club have been sidelined from competing in the United Summer Soccer Association because of a controversial rule from the Indo-Canadian Soccer Association.

Rule 32 states that a maximum of four imports - players who aren't Indo-Canadian - are allowed in all boys U13 and U14 divisions. Christiansen's team has seven imports, but they went through the registration process in April and competed in numerous games without any problems, until recently.

"We had been playing with our same team throughout all the tournaments and nobody ever said anything," Christiansen said.

It wasn't until her son's team started winning weekend tournaments that the concerns over the number of imports came to light.

"We had the semifinal game and we won that," she said. "The coach from the opposing team lodged a complaint against us that we had too many import players on our team and they felt that they should be in the final because we broke the rule. Our feeling was this coach that lost to us in the semifinal was sour grapes."

She said her son's team went on to the final, but to avoid a $500 fine, they agreed to give the win to the opposing team, regardless of the outcome.

"Our coach said, 'Well, we just want to play soccer. You can have the win. We just want to play the game,'" she said.

However, during the match while the score was tied, Christiansen's son's team started dominating. She said that's when the other team started complaining her players were kicking too much until the referee called the game.

"Our feelings were that they thought they might lose," she said.

Christiansen said she asked the B.C. Human Rights Tribunal if it was legal for a league to discriminate against players and found that there are exceptions.

Section 41 of the provincial Human Rights Code states that non-profit social organizations operating primarily to promote the interests of an identifiable group or class "must not be considered to be contravening this Code because it is granting a preference to members of the identifiable group or class of persons." The USSA is a registered non-profit and fees are put toward running the league.

Mantej Dhillon, executive director of the USSA, acknowledged that Rule 32 can limit some teams, but said the committee responsible for the U13 division is concerned that allowing more import players may overload the association.

"They think if we open the tournament for all the communities, there will be too many teams and they cannot handle it," he said.

Dhillon said some teams registered within the import limit, but later added players. Next year, he said team rosters will be finalized at the registration process to prevent extra imports.

Christiansen's team is allowed to play exhibition games, but they risk getting fined if they compete in any tournaments, she said.

"They said you can take some of your import players and join other Tigers teams, but they don't want to do that," she said, noting that the boys are all good friends. "Who do you choose to go to other teams?"

Dhillon knows these boys are eager to play soccer with their friends rather than against them.

"I don't know how we tell those people, 'You can't play in the summer.' Sometimes we hurt the feelings of those kids and parents."

Christiansen hopes the USSA will revise the rule so that future soccer players, no matter what ethnic background, can get on the field.

The committee will take a vote next season on whether or not to increase the number of import players in the division.

Dhillon is optimistic more imports will be allowed and hopes the number will increase each season.

"I'm very positive we will bring the good news next year for everybody," he said.

Read more: Ethnic rule riles Surrey soccer mom
Advertisement
murd0c is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 10:13 AM   #2
RS.net PIMP

Thanked 3,057 Times in 824 Posts
I might be missing something here but are they not playing in the "Indo-Canadian Soccer Association" as mentioned in the article? If so I have no issues with the rule, just like I have no issues with Clubs for females allowing only females, Boy Scouts not being open to openly gay members, CFL having import limits, etc... these are private organizations/clubs/businesses, IMO are free to make their own rules even if I don't necessarily agree with their rules. Don't like it don't join their club or give them your business/support.

Question I have is why didn't her son just join a regular soccer league?
7seven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 10:17 AM   #3
Need my Daily Fix of RS

racism/descrimination aside that's just really shitty coaching, way to teach the kids about sportsmanship by crying about a stupid technicality like that. wonder if the coach would've pulled the same move if they were winning.
ZordosZZ is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-10-2012, 10:18 AM   #4
Head of HR....have a seat on that couch

Thanked 15,586 Times in 4,318 Posts
What ever happened to "May the best man win" or in this case, team.

Way to teach our kids good sportsmanship and fair play.

Why aren't there more leagues that allow all races to play though? Maybe the Indo-Canadian Soccer Association should only allow their own people to play so this isn't even an issue.

Originally posted by v.b.
can we stop, my pussy hurts...
Originally posted by asian_XL
fliptuner, I am gonna grab ur dick and pee in your face, then rub shit all over my face...:lol
Originally posted by Fei-Ji
haha i can taste the cum in my mouth
Originally posted by FastAnna
when I was 13 I wanted to be a video hoe so bad

RSUV #7
fliptuner is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-10-2012, 10:19 AM   #5
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,812 Times in 2,501 Posts
when i hear the word import i think JDM
in all seriousness this reminds me of the CBA in china where they allow only 2 non-chinese players per team (aka NBA level guys aka black guys) to play.

to call kids "imports" though does seem a little insensitive. i'm not sure what other term you would use though.

sad to hear that the game was called when the questionable team looked like they were going to win, just let the kids play...but then again...you hear how soccer parents can get competitive...

@7seven
her son probably plays in that association b/c she lives in surrey and all his friends play there...that would be my guess...

since it's an indo-canadian society i can see where they are coming from though in terms of trying to keep the majority of the members on the team indo-canadian

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 10:43 AM   #6
The RS Freebie guru

Thanked 2,491 Times in 860 Posts
Solution? Sign the white kids up for a regular soccer league.
InvisibleSoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 10:54 AM   #7
nuggets mod

Thanked 3,799 Times in 981 Posts
I would love to see the reaction to a 'White Canadian U13 club'. might as well just burn a cross in your front yard
Old 08-10-2012, 11:05 AM   #8
Rs has made me the man i am today!

These import rules are usually prevalent in low tier professional sports teams in non western countries.

E.g. In the Philippines, the PBA (Philippines Basketball Association) has import rules that limit foreign national per team. Why ? basically, because we suck at basketball compared to other countries. (E.g. Journey man in the NBA who averaged 1 point per game scores 50+ ppg in his first season in the PBA).

The way I see this article, they don't want too much non Indo-Canadians because they might dominate their Indo-Canadian League.
Old 08-10-2012, 11:30 AM   #9
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,454 Times in 813 Posts
Why come to Canada.. to fucking de-socialize from everyone else?

I can understand how Canada is "land of the free" but jesus christ you have to draw a line somewhere. Everyone seems to be immigrating to Canada then bitching that "their culture" isn't respected in some way or another.

Then go back home.

All this cultural and racist bullshit needs to stop. Were diversified in our religions, cultures, races, etc. here and that needs to be accepted by ALL.
[17-03, 09:23] Amuro Ray is it normal for my dick to have things growing on it?
Quote:
[15-05, 13:34] FastAnna You guise are like diet coke and I am the mentos
[15-05, 13:34] FastAnna Incredible. How easy it is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by murd0c View Post
I'm scared of spiders... When I see one I toss my cats at it
melloman is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 08-10-2012, 11:34 AM   #10
Banned (ABWS)

white kids are just the best soccer players. simples.
doma is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 08-10-2012, 11:35 AM   #11

Thanked 2,454 Times in 813 Posts
^^Disagrees.. Brazilian ringers are the best for soccer.
[17-03, 09:23] Amuro Ray is it normal for my dick to have things growing on it?
Quote:
[15-05, 13:34] FastAnna You guise are like diet coke and I am the mentos
[15-05, 13:34] FastAnna Incredible. How easy it is.
Quote:
I'm scared of spiders... When I see one I toss my cats at it
melloman is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-10-2012, 11:39 AM   #12
PM me for my nudes

Thanked 3,772 Times in 1,001 Posts
hey guys lets play a game of soccer.

guess what team restrictions there are?
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkunkWorks View Post
This wouldn't happen if you didn't drive a peasant car like an Audi...
Quote:
[14-05, 14:59] FastAnna You tiny bra wearing, gigantic son of a bitch
[15-05, 10:35] FastAnna Yeah I was dreaming of those big titties in that tiny bra
Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
I'd probably blow someone for that 911
smoothie. is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-10-2012, 11:40 AM   #13

good players not allowed?

fliptuner, I am gonna grab ur dick and pee in your face, then rub shit all over my face...:lol

RSUV #7
This post thanked by:
Old 08-10-2012, 11:40 AM   #14
VAC Head Rotang Mod

Thanked 1,427 Times in 627 Posts
^

My Feedback (10-0-0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fei-Ji View Post
Raid3n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 11:41 AM   #15
In RS I Trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7seven View Post
I might be missing something here but are they not playing in the "Indo-Canadian Soccer Association" as mentioned in the article? If so I have no issues with the rule, just like I have no issues with Clubs for females allowing only females, Boy Scouts not being open to openly gay members, CFL having import limits, etc... these are private organizations/clubs/businesses, IMO are free to make their own rules even if I don't necessarily agree with their rules. Don't like it don't join their club or give them your business/support.

Question I have is why didn't her son just join a regular soccer league?
I grew up in Surrey and I think this "Indo-Canadian Soccer Association" shit is BS and out right racist. There is a large Indo-Canadian population in Surrey and with the amount of familys/kids there are not enough white kids to start a league so why does that have to screw over the children that just want to play. Everyone should be equal and shouldnt matter since it's about playing on a team and having fun.
This post FAILED by:
Old 08-10-2012, 11:50 AM   #16
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,910 Times in 606 Posts
Quote:
I grew up in Surrey and I think this "Indo-Canadian Soccer Association" shit is BS and out right racist. There is a large Indo-Canadian population in Surrey and with the amount of familys/kids there are not enough white kids to start a league so why does that have to screw over the children that just want to play. Everyone should be equal and shouldnt matter since it's about playing on a team and having fun.
its the canadian myth of multiculturalism

we think that we're all diverse and shit, but for the most part minorities congregate in ethnic enclaves and keep to themselves

anyways if you like playing in an ethnic specific league you're a fucking loser anyways, i've never understood the purposes of the leagues. i guess they just dont wanna lose to other races

Last edited by Sid Vicious; 08-10-2012 at 11:58 AM.
Sid Vicious is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-10-2012, 11:51 AM   #17

thats right!!! segregate them at early age..so that they dont learn to live in a ethnically diverse society.... lol
tool001 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-10-2012, 12:05 PM   #18
Raping Captured Dolphins since 2002 on EZ board days

If they made a league that only allowed four non white players, people would go ape shit.

Similar to allowing these Chinese or Asian clubs on campus but wonder if they would ever allow a White Club. Would be nice to see.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphamale View Post
I give a lot of people rim jobs.
My Feedback
RFlush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 12:08 PM   #19
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 1,289 Times in 409 Posts
The league should be disbanded, they are not teaching children anything positive. Oh, we are losing, THEY HAVE TOO MANY WHITES THATS NOT RIGHT. This is Canada. Want to play against a team with less whites? GO BACK TO INDIA. Whining because they are losing, even after being told they win no matter what? What a shitty league. The organizers and coachs should be ashamed of themselves. People complain there is too much racism, its shit like this that causes people to generalize a race, and say, oh stupid browns, come to Canada and shit on us? I have friends of all races, I hate people for their ignorance and fucking stupidity, regardless of their skin colour.
Iceman-19 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 08-10-2012, 12:11 PM   #20
In RS I Trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman-19 View Post
The league should be disbanded, they are not teaching children anything positive. Oh, we are losing, THEY HAVE TOO MANY WHITES THATS NOT RIGHT. This is Canada. Want to play against a team with less whites? GO BACK TO INDIA. Whining because they are losing, even after being told they win no matter what? What a shitty league. The organizers and coachs should be ashamed of themselves. People complain there is too much racism, its shit like this that causes people to generalize a race, and say, oh stupid browns, come to Canada and shit on us? I have friends of all races, I hate people for their ignorance and fucking stupidity, regardless of their skin colour.
I couldnt of said it any better myself, I need to be careful what to say in this topic since growing up in the area and facing and dealing with the racism of being which and having people pull the no english card on my all the time really pisses me off to say the least....
Old 08-10-2012, 12:29 PM   #21
The RS Freebie guru

Thanked 2,491 Times in 860 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by will068 View Post
These import rules are usually prevalent in low tier professional sports teams in non western countries.

E.g. In the Philippines, the PBA (Philippines Basketball Association) has import rules that limit foreign national per team. Why ? basically, because we suck at basketball compared to other countries. (E.g. Journey man in the NBA who averaged 1 point per game scores 50+ ppg in his first season in the PBA).

The way I see this article, they don't want too much non Indo-Canadians because they might dominate their Indo-Canadian League.
This is (or should be) the reason behind the segregation.
InvisibleSoul is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-10-2012, 12:31 PM   #22
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,731 Times in 1,322 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by freakshow View Post
I would love to see the reaction to a 'White Canadian U13 club'. might as well just burn a cross in your front yard
Worse yet, go to India and do the same thing and see how that plays out for you. They can call it what they want but those kids have every right to drop the racism card.

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I donīt care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. Thatīs how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
quasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 12:44 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by InvisibleSoul View Post
This is (or should be) the reason behind the segregation.
There's a big difference between a national organization allowing foriegners to play vs. a local kid's soccer league not allowing people of a certain race to participate.

RSUV #7
This post thanked by:
Old 08-10-2012, 12:50 PM   #24
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Thanked 1,776 Times in 444 Posts
Sorry, last I checked I was in Canada, not India.

This sort of segregation should never exist.

http://www.e38registry.org/
Mr.C is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 08-10-2012, 01:31 PM   #25
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

How many of you have played soccer? I'm not saying what is happening in that league is fair but with youth sports comes politics and stuff like this. If it isn't about having too many imports its coaches bringing ringers to tournaments that are over the age limit. Yes, even for teenaged tournaments. I've seen it and experienced it. A game is so one-sided that one team files a complaint at half time asking for the other team's players IDs, and not playing until they see it.

I remember I played in a Croatian tournament in Burnaby and each team was allowed three imports. I was one of them. I'm a visible minority. Is it right? That's debateable, but what the reporter fails to mention is that this is common across the board in soccer. Not just predominately indo-Canadian run leagues and tournaments.