REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 08-12-2012, 12:25 PM   #26
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

2006 is the start of drive by wire.
Advertisement
lexluthor09 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-12-2012, 12:27 PM   #27
#savethemanuals

Thanked 2,551 Times in 950 Posts
Hey at least with the drive-by-wire you can get flashpro.
Energy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-12-2012, 01:18 PM   #28
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

When looking to buy an S2000, are there any issues or common problems to look out for?

Also why is it people try to avoid the newer drive by wire versions?

Thanks.
jeffwilliams17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 01:30 PM   #29
RS controls my life!

s2ks dbw is really a non issue.
JDMCivic is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-12-2012, 03:53 PM   #30
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffwilliams17 View Post
When looking to buy an S2000, are there any issues or common problems to look out for?

Thanks.
its not an issue, people feel that dbw limits them/disconnects them from the engine.

except honda did a good job on the s2k and most people who drove it can't even feel the difference. plus 06+ you can use flash pro, and depending on preference you get an outside temp gauge, maintenance minder, better seats, a little cubby hole under the passenger side, tpms, and vsa.
lexluthor09 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-12-2012, 04:40 PM   #31
RS controls my life!

tpms was not on 06 s2k in canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexluthor09 View Post
its not an issue, people feel that dbw limits them/disconnects them from the engine.

except honda did a good job on the s2k and most people who drove it can't even feel the difference. plus 06+ you can use flash pro, and depending on preference you get an outside temp gauge, maintenance minder, better seats, a little cubby hole under the passenger side, tpms, and vsa.
JDMCivic is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-12-2012, 06:57 PM   #32
Oh goodie, 5 posts already!

I've sold my s2k for 3 years now, and since then I've owned, alot of cars. and the fact is. I could not find a car that feels so raw on the road compared to the s2k. I rather drive a slow car fast in the city compared to driving a fast car slow in the city. s2k is the best summer weekend car EVER! and the fact that its a top down car... damn! I want to buy one again
alsxe10 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-12-2012, 09:47 PM   #33
I subscribe to Revscene

id keep the sti, shouldn't the handling be better on the sti since its AWD?
DC5-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 11:05 PM   #34
Why'd you do that for?

If you have another car, you'll love the S2000. I went through 3, and that's because I could only afford one car and was always going back and forth with comfort and fun. I think there's a lot of misconception with he s2k being impractical. I mean, in terms of luggage storage, the trunk has plenty of room, and the cockpit is nice and snug, just like a performance car should. I drove a friends STI and it felt nice in terms of putting around the city, thanks to the torque, but I'd still prefer the S2K just cause it's just more of a driver's car. I'm not saying the STI is not fun to drive, don't get me wrong, it's hella fun. But the STI is leaning towards more of a grocery getter with the performance add ons, where as the S2K is a performance car with ergonomic add ons.

Again, if you have another car to daily, the S2K is a perfect car to drive on the weekends. Haven't ran into anyone who's owned an S2000 that doesn't love it...I sold my 3rd one about a year and a half ago, and I still look for one every now and then since the gf has a comfortable car..

Oh and one more thing...you are gonna LOVE driving top down. It's the best in the winter time + touqe
rk604 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-12-2012, 11:08 PM   #35
:inoutugh:

Thanked 5,833 Times in 1,836 Posts
^ Don't forget the northface bomber!
TOS'd is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-12-2012, 11:14 PM   #36
#savethemanuals

^^ Agree. One measure of how good the s2000 is is what owners and even previous owners have to say about the car. People who have never driven one or owned one will always be sceptical about the lack of power and supposed impracticality but those people don't understand the car.

Oh and winter driving with the top down is awesome! The air is so crisp and clean after it snows. Just make sure to wear a scarf.
Old 08-13-2012, 12:11 AM   #37
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Thanked 2,093 Times in 452 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC5-S View Post
id keep the sti, shouldn't the handling be better on the sti since its AWD?
Old 08-13-2012, 01:37 AM   #38
Ready to be Man handled by RS!

this thread makes me want a s2k
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tumblr_m4z0diZHB51qfbjkco1_1280.jpg (99.1 KB, 0 views)
j604 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-13-2012, 02:41 AM   #39
no

Thanked 6,058 Times in 1,222 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffwilliams17 View Post

Thanks.
for ap1's, diff is the main thing to look out for.. these ap1 diffs are weak super weak and can be pricey to replace, couple clutch drops/burnouts and its basically boom, gone.. so if the previous owner beat the shit out of it, its a big no no

im just going to switch mine eventually to an ap2 diff so i can do some burnouts and clutch drops everywhere
jpark is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-13-2012, 08:42 AM   #40
I STILL don't get it

Being an owner myself, I will certainly be biased, so I'll just say it now, it really is a fun car to drive. For me, it is the next best thing to also owning a bike since I can't afford both at the moment.

Personally, practicality isn't an issue because, luckily, all my friends drive 4-5 seater cars and whenever we go out, they would much rather pick me up than to pull straws for "who gets to sit in the trunk" lol. Though I feel like an ass sometimes, I can't help but grin at the fact that I am the one who gases up the least among my friends simply because they end up driving most the time in their effort to take one car and to save the world =).

Please visit http://www.s2ki.com/home/ for a boat load of information on everything you will want to know about the car. Many of the members are incredibly knowledgeable and willing to help too! Good luck with your decision!

Last edited by afadafa; 08-13-2012 at 08:48 AM.
afadafa is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-13-2012, 01:56 PM   #41
I don't get it

I own an AP1. Compared to STi, it's definitely has less power. But when you're revving at 7500 to 9000 rpm......you brain will go weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee, major endorphin rush!! Just to clarify, you're not going to have no power....just less compared to an STi.

Plus, you're not going to find another gearbox as good as the S2000 for the price. And of course, the handling. The thing turns on a dime.

The driving experience of the S2000 can't be compared to other. It's really a driver's car. The sensation of the S2000 is mechanically raw. You can hear the engine, exhuast drone (in a good way especially at around 4500 rpm), the sound of the differential rotating at start-up, and feeling of the gears being put in place. The driving position is perfectly aligned for the "general Asian". Seating position to the shifter is 90 degrees, distance to steering wheel is just right, peddle distance feels as it was custom made. You're sitting right beside the transmission and right behind you is the differential, as you're part of the car. The heat from the transmission will slightly seep through the centre console, that's when you know you're with the car. You really have to drive one to experience it.

That said. My S2000 is totally stock OEM. I believe changing any of the components, even an air filter, will make the whole intend of the car imbalance.

If you're looking for a S2000, I prefer the AP1 due to the 9000rpm, lighter flywheel, tighter suspension. Starting AP2, they have toned down the car due to people inability to drive and tend to spin out and crash. Only mod I done to my AP1 is a front strut car and the car is perfectly balanced! Best years are 2002 (start of glass rear window) or 2003 (last year of AP1). Good luck searching!

Last edited by bb4srv; 08-13-2012 at 02:02 PM.
bb4srv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 02:45 PM   #42
Pull Out Towing. Women rescued for free.

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,283 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpark View Post
for ap1's, diff is the main thing to look out for.. these ap1 diffs are weak super weak and can be pricey to replace, couple clutch drops/burnouts and its basically boom, gone.. so if the previous owner beat the shit out of it, its a big no no

im just going to switch mine eventually to an ap2 diff so i can do some burnouts and clutch drops everywhere
This isn't true.
I owned my S for 5 years and in those 5 years I autoX'ed it and did many drag launches with 245 Hoosier A6's. You just have to get enough revs to spin the tires. If you bog it, that is when you risk blowing up the diff. The AP2 diff isn't that much different. Honda added a clutch delay valve on the AP2 so you burn out the clutch before blowing up the diff, so they thought.
A used rear diff is under $400 so it isn't that expensive.

Most common problems for S2000's include ripping of the soft top from opening and closing the roof. There is a TSB for it and is covered under warrenty on newer cars.

For AP1's, even non-lowered cars, there is an issue with the rear drive shafts that causes vibration when driving at high speeds.

Another common issue with the AP1, is the valve retainers failing. Quite common when the motor hits 100K. When they fail, the valve will fall into the motor and can do a lot of damage. EAsiest fix is to replace the valve retainers and clips with upgraded AP2 ones.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu1413 View Post
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
SumAznGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 09:17 PM   #43
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 2,101 Times in 351 Posts
First of all, thanks everyone for all the insights and opinions. Took me a few minutes to thank most of you!

I drove the AP2 in question yesterday and it drives very smoothly. Unfortunately I have come to learn it has a $7800 declaration from a front driver side collision which has me a little irked. Otherwise, it's my dream colour combo.

My thoughts:

- I didn't feel an enormous loss of power. This after stepping directly out of the STI.
- The handling is sublime.
- The car felt so much smoother and manageable than the AP1 that I had driven. Then again that car has been modified and has a CEL so there may be a larger issue at hand.
- I'm not used to sitting so low. Yikes!

Not surprisingly, I have been given a lowball trade. If anyone is interested in a well maintained 2009 STI with a lot of goodies I have reduced it to $28k obo. If not, I'm pretty certain I'll still go for it and trade it in.

Thanks for all the input everyone. I'll report back by the end of the week with something I hope.

Kev
Old 08-13-2012, 09:28 PM   #44
#savethemanuals

Well the STI is ~550lbs heavier. And yeah you kind of fall into the car instead of stepping inside. Are you getting an S2000 now? Keep us updated!
Old 08-13-2012, 09:32 PM   #45

Like everyone had said, the S is an amazing car.

Slightly similar to your situation- I actually went from an ap1 to an 07Sti.

I cant say i regret it, buy i do miss all those days and nights cruising with the top down. Despite what some people say about convertibles in Vancouver, I had my top down in the middle of a dry winter, windows up, heat on- and i was waaarm. WITHOUT a Northface,lol.

Handling/transmission/drivability/cockpit is superb as others have mentioned.
What other car can you get in the S2k's era with 50/50 weight balance,rwd,convertible,driver centered car, in its price range?

No one has mentioned this yet, but the top in the S is the fastest top ive ever seen in any car go from fully locked to fully open and vice versa.

But there are things like 4 doors and bigger trunk space that I needed, and that the S didnt provide.
Those are probably the only things youll miss aside from 300hp/turbo/boxer engine.

WHen i had the S, it was my DD all year long. Slapped on snow tires when we had snow, and it still pointed in the direction i wanted. Im talking unplowed streets here.

Its definitely a fun car to drive in the city.
Its lacking a bit on torque though. But anything over 4k, you wont even think about it having low torque.

If u dont need to transport big items, drive more than 1 person often, then you wont regret getting an s2k.

Its actually quite good on gas too.
hi-revs is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-13-2012, 09:39 PM   #46
I don't get it

The fast top thing is kind of subjective. It depends on how fast the person clips onto the hinges. For me, I take the extra time to ensure that both sides locks in simultaneously, so as to reduce the strain on frame of the soft top.

Yes, the S is very good on gas. If you drive it nicely, you can get approximately 11.5L per 100km or so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hi-revs View Post

No one has mentioned this yet, but the top in the S is the fastest top ive ever seen in any car go from fully locked to fully open and vice versa.

Its actually quite good on gas too.
bb4srv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 10:14 PM   #47

Thanked 2,093 Times in 452 Posts
The top on the S is faster then a lot of cars, my friend always brags to me about how he can open his top on a quick red light
Old 08-14-2012, 05:09 PM   #48
#savethemanuals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roach View Post
First of all, thanks everyone for all the insights and opinions. Took me a few minutes to thank most of you!

I drove the AP2 in question yesterday and it drives very smoothly. Unfortunately I have come to learn it has a $7800 declaration from a front driver side collision which has me a little irked. Otherwise, it's my dream colour combo.

My thoughts:

- I didn't feel an enormous loss of power. This after stepping directly out of the STI.
- The handling is sublime.
- The car felt so much smoother and manageable than the AP1 that I had driven. Then again that car has been modified and has a CEL so there may be a larger issue at hand.
- I'm not used to sitting so low. Yikes!

Not surprisingly, I have been given a lowball trade. If anyone is interested in a well maintained 2009 STI with a lot of goodies I have reduced it to $28k obo. If not, I'm pretty certain I'll still go for it and trade it in.

Thanks for all the input everyone. I'll report back by the end of the week with something I hope.

Kev
Was the AP2 you looked at at OpenRoad Honda?
Old 08-14-2012, 06:18 PM   #49
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 2,101 Times in 351 Posts
Correct. Do you know something about the car?

Kev
Old 08-14-2012, 07:38 PM   #50
private modder

Thanked 2,652 Times in 741 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bb4srv View Post
The fast top thing is kind of subjective. It depends on how fast the person clips onto the hinges. For me, I take the extra time to ensure that both sides locks in simultaneously, so as to reduce the strain on frame of the soft top.

Yes, the S is very good on gas. If you drive it nicely, you can get approximately 11.5L per 100km or so.
I'm getting 9.5L per 100kms in my AP2
Eff-1 is offline   Reply With Quote