REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   Qantas passengers refuse to fly without pajamas (https://www.revscene.net/forums/672176-qantas-passengers-refuse-fly-without-pajamas.html)

bing 08-15-2012 01:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fetched (Post 8003948)
^
I agree on the basis if they were the only two passengers.

They were aware that their actions would result in the delay of departure of hundreds of passengers, I would probably just file a complaint prior or after the flight.

When you are the one paying upwards of 10k per seat, then we'll see how you feel.

The article also does not mention how much of a delay, it could have been quite minor, and the pilot was still able to land on time.

And if it was only two passengers, then the staff should have easily placated their demands.

Way cheaper and easier to keep an existing customer than to get new ones.

Razor Ramon HG 08-15-2012 05:59 AM

It was right of the two passengers to be angry, but they should've taken into consideration the other passengers and what a late delay could mean.

I'm sure we can all agree to that.

Hondaracer 08-15-2012 07:51 AM

Fuck how much do you have to be worth to be taking 15k flights per person as a couple?

Somone who's worth 30 mill, that's 1/1000th of their total worth on a single flight

fliptuner 08-15-2012 09:27 AM

Yes, they paid a shit ton for their seats and the airline should've had their PJ's ready.

Yes, they have the right to be pissed and complain.

Thing is, time is money, for them, the airline and the other passengers. Is wasting 3, 4, 5+ hours really worth it for them to get another flight that has pajamas? The time wasted should be worth more to them if they're baller.

Just get to where you have to be and complain about it when you land and for future flights. If they cater to their first class passengers as well as it seems they would, they should have no problems getting upgrades/dicounts on the next one.

Gumby 08-15-2012 09:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hondaracer (Post 8004042)
Fuck how much do you have to be worth to be taking 15k flights per person as a couple?

Somone who's worth 30 mill, that's 1/1000th of their total worth on a single flight

I think a large number of first class passengers are CEOs of private companies. So essentially the company is paying for the flight - assuming it's a business-related trip.

If you're THAT rich (i.e. net worth of 30 mill), wouldn't you just have a private jet? :)

JesseBlue 08-15-2012 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anjew (Post 8001844)
They paid for that flight, they have every right to complain just like you would if you paid for something even if it was only a dollar.

tell this complaint to someone who lives in the street...

Lomac 08-15-2012 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JesseBlue (Post 8004433)

While I don't have any sympathy for the couple in the article, you have to realize that any customer, regardless of if they paid $10 for a combo meal at Burger King or $15,000 for first class seats, deserves to receive what they paid for. Yes, some customers are more picky than others, and even though the airline offered a replacement, sometimes it's not enough.

For all you know, this couple could donate a million dollars a year to charities or may have a hospital wing somewhere named after them for the amount they've given to it. Or maybe they don't. But the attempts my parents tried to use on me when I was young by saying, "There are people who would be grateful for this pile of broccoli," when I refused to eat it doesn't really work here. Not trying to be mean or uncaring or anything, btw...

Sky_High 08-15-2012 07:49 PM

Qatar leads Asian assault on airline awards - Aviation News - etravelblackboard.us

Quote:

Other awards of note went to Air Asia (World's Best Low-Cost Airline), Garuda Indonesia (World's Best Regional Airline), Malaysia Airlines (World's Best Cabin Staff), Emirates (World's Best Inflight Entertainment) and Qantas Airways, who won accolades for World's Best Premium Economy Class, Best First Class Airline Lounge and Best Premium Economy Onboard Catering.
Guess not so much for their First Class in-flight service... :troll:

Hehe 08-16-2012 09:55 AM

Quote:

FWIW, a person with 30mil net worth probably has 2mil or more in income a year. 15k on a flight is probably peanuts. :D

Also, premium classes give one a lot of bonus mileages if one collects. My parents fly exclusively on bus/first class because of my dad's back condition (they fly mostly long-haul. Usually from South America<-->Asia. Coach is unbearable for my dad's back) and they accumulate mileages like crazy.

On a single trip, they get over 100K worth of miles after all the bonuses. (Excluding the miles they get from their CC) That's good for a round-trip business class ticket between NA to Europe. The tix is usually about $12k. But when you factor in that a bus class ticket NA<->EU is worth about 3~4K. It's really not a bad deal at all.

freakshow 08-16-2012 10:09 AM

Quote:

Their company is probably paying, but even if it wasn't, 1/1000th of your net worth for a flight isn't bad.
Let's say your net worth is 200K (most people are not even in the black because of a mortgage), that's like spending $200 on a flight.. not bad at all.

JesseBlue 08-16-2012 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lomac (Post 8004441)
While I don't have any sympathy for the couple in the article, you have to realize that any customer, regardless of if they paid $10 for a combo meal at Burger King or $15,000 for first class seats, deserves to receive what they paid for. Yes, some customers are more picky than others, and even though the airline offered a replacement, sometimes it's not enough.

For all you know, this couple could donate a million dollars a year to charities or may have a hospital wing somewhere named after them for the amount they've given to it. Or maybe they don't. But the attempts my parents tried to use on me when I was young by saying, "There are people who would be grateful for this pile of broccoli," when I refused to eat it doesn't really work here. Not trying to be mean or uncaring or anything, btw...

thats fair but in the end, they'll most likely get their money back...well, i think thats whats gonna happen...

but again put the problem into perspective...be it a $10 meal or a $15K ticket, there is always someone who is hungrier or dying or have worse problems...if they start telling people that theyve put millions into charities then i have lost more respect for that for bragging...

i am not siding with the airlines and they should be at fault because its their business to make sure things are in order but again complaining about pajamas?

bing 08-16-2012 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JesseBlue (Post 8004433)

By that logic, nobody should ever be able to complain about anything lest the complaints be on the "level" of a homeless person.

:facepalm:

Hondaracer 08-16-2012 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by freakshow (Post 8005003)
Their company is probably paying, but even if it wasn't, 1/1000th of your net worth for a flight isn't bad.
Let's say your net worth is 200K (most people are not even in the black because of a mortgage), that's like spending $200 on a flight.. not bad at all.

yea but that is also only 1 flight, a couple like this probably flies multiple times a year in first class, even for somone with an annual income of 2 mill, 30k on a single flight seems pretty high

lgman 08-16-2012 09:51 PM

1 Attachment(s)
So having no PJs in First class is the same as a shoe bomb threat. :ahwow:

marc0lishuz 08-16-2012 10:01 PM

To come to think about it, this couple probably upgraded to First using air miles and wanted the "full" first class experience. No self-respecting rich person who regularly flies First would waste their own time quibbling over $20 pj's. Just grab a pair on the return flight!

My $0.02.

Marco911 08-16-2012 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hehe (Post 8004997)
FWIW, a person with 30mil net worth probably has 2mil or more in income a year. 15k on a flight is probably peanuts. :D

Also, premium classes give one a lot of bonus mileages if one collects. My parents fly exclusively on bus/first class because of my dad's back condition (they fly mostly long-haul. Usually from South America<-->Asia. Coach is unbearable for my dad's back) and they accumulate mileages like crazy.

On a single trip, they get over 100K worth of miles after all the bonuses. (Excluding the miles they get from their CC) That's good for a round-trip business class ticket between NA to Europe. The tix is usually about $12k. But when you factor in that a bus class ticket NA<->EU is worth about 3~4K. It's really not a bad deal at all.

Which airline are they flying? Unless they buy a round the world first ticket, 100K in airmiles is unheard of.

Hehe 08-17-2012 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marco911 (Post 8005544)
Which airline are they flying? Unless they buy a round the world first ticket, 100K in airmiles is unheard of.

First class ticket=250% of miles and his status gives him another 100%. On a EZE/GRU<-->TPE ticket, usually flying EZE-EWR/IAD-SFO (used to add a SFO-YVR-SFO to visit me when I was in YVR)-NRT-TPE then he gets about 2 miles per dollar on his CC.

It's not 100K flown (more like around 30k), but rather the redemption mileage that can be used toward bonus travels.

The breakdown is about 30k flown+45k (First class bonus)+30k(status bonus)

Mancini 08-18-2012 04:35 PM

They actually delayed and got off the flight. I hope I am never that person, no matter my position or wealth.

Stealthy 08-18-2012 04:57 PM

They had the right to complain but don't you think the passengers had a right to get to their destination on time?

I don't argue with the fact that they wanted to get their money's worth but I think it's stupid to hold up a flight for something miniscule.
Additionally that delay could have costed Qantas quite a bit because if the plane's not in the air = lost money.

Yes they paid more for the ticket but in the larger picture, had the flight been delayed they would have pissed more people off than two passengers.

The airline could have handled the situation better no doubt, but if the two passengers were not being cooperative what can Qantas do? Hold up the flight for a while to wait for a delivery of pajamas? Lessons learned in the end for both parties.

underscore 08-19-2012 10:54 AM

These retards got off the plane, got their bags, left the airport, headed home/to a hotel, and then had to come back, go back through security etc, all for some goddamn pajamas? A $65 set of pajamas on a $13000 flight = 0.5% of the value. That's like complaining at McDonalds because your drink got filled a tiny bit less than normal because they ran out of pop.

But then of course, these are size XL Americans we're talking about here...

StylinRed 08-19-2012 11:22 AM

for those saying they cant imagine regular 1st class travelers to be so picky think again

i've seen bitches quibbling that they dont get to enter through the 1st class bridge (this even occurred on my latest flight) the bridge was already recalled and this guys wife/gf is bitching to the airline attendant that they want to use that bridge and the attendant is trying to tell them they're too late and the flight is about to take off and this lady wouldn't let it go i was like :fulloffuck: (her man ended up pulling her away) and she was looking at the recalled bridge while boarding the plane complaining to her man still :seriously: and he gives me the :rolleyes: look

1st class riders are probably the pickiest bunch ever