REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 08-13-2012, 07:50 AM   #76
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO View Post
Lol you use a video produced by the Canadian dairy farmers to make this point? While Canadian cows don't get hormones specificially, they don't say what other milk production enhancements our cows get, and you'd be naive if you think they are all just regular everyday dairy cows.

While I can't speak to other retailers, Costco's milk is rBST and hormone free. I recall their chicken and eggs are also, but can't confirm at this time. So how come their stuff is so cheap? I've been told the US government heavily subsidizes their farmers, seems legit enough to me.

I am too lazy to go get sources to cite to rebuttal you as i am at work, but everything i have learned over the years was that American dairy products and Canadian Dairy are very different in quality. There is more to American Milk that just Hormones, they also use anti biotics, and various other methods to make otherwise "bad" milk, good enough to sell. Not trying to get into an argument here though, if you are comfortable going to the States for groceries, good on you. The cost savings are quite significant i am told.
Advertisement
twixxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 08:16 AM   #77
UFO
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Fair enough. I'm not looking to get into an argument either. I just think there are different quality levels in the US just like in Canada, you can't lump everything and everyone into the same boat. That and Canadian milk being marketed as pure is misleading also. To take things a step further there are Canadians who are not comfortable with Canadian 'mass' dairy and produce either and have thus turned to organic alternatives.
UFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 08:23 AM   #78
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,782 Times in 2,491 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jah Dean View Post
It's just milk, other products are pretty cheap. My viet friend goes down almost every weekend, he gets meat because it's really cheap and not only is the food cheap but supposedly Costco gas is really cheap compared to other gas outlets.
but the gas lineups at the costco in bellingham...especially when you see most guys with BC plates and packing 3 or so jerry cans

i swear they should make a non-jerry can fill line only, meaning just for your car, if they see you pulling out a jerry can you get booted out of that line. sucks having to wait 45min to fill your car...i just go to the shell down the road now

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 08:25 AM   #79
The RS Freebie guru

Thanked 2,491 Times in 860 Posts
I'm not sure about Costco's Kirkland milk, but we buy this Darigold milk from WalMart down there, and that stuff has a best before date of more than two months because it's ultra-pasteurized. We've had it sit in the fridge for probably another month after that, and it still wasn't spoiled yet.
InvisibleSoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 08:45 AM   #80
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,782 Times in 2,491 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by InvisibleSoul View Post
that stuff has a best before date of more than two months because it's ultra-pasteurized. We've had it sit in the fridge for probably another month after that, and it still wasn't spoiled yet.
is that a good thing or a bad thing? i'm not familiar with milk pasteurization

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 08:51 AM   #81
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 5,221 Times in 1,387 Posts
Living 5 minutes from the border with a Nexus, sometimes it's quicker to go to Bellingham than for me to drive to Richmond for groceries, since everything in White Rock is expensive, because White Rock
Akinari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 08:58 AM   #82
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLOW View Post
is that a good thing or a bad thing? i'm not familiar with milk pasteurization
Ultra pasteurization kills most of the bacteria (both good/bad), ruins the flavor, and fucks the whey in the milk which forces the producers to mix in other shit to maintain the creaminess.

In other words, no.
tgill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 09:26 AM   #83
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 7,150 Times in 2,395 Posts
One reason maybe why US poultry is so much cheaper is that all chicken produced in Canada to be eaten has to be free running, whereas I don't believe US poultry has that same regulation. Probably why they are usually bigger too.
2010 Toyota Rav4 Limited V6 - Wifey's Daily Driver
2009 BMW 128i - Daily Driver
2007 Toyota Rav4 Sport V6 - Sold
1999 Mazda Miata - Sold
2003 Mazda Protege5 - Sold
1987 BMW 325is - Sold
1990 Mazda Miata - Sold

100% Buy and Sell Feedback
sonick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 09:33 AM   #84
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

I found this to be a good read on American Milk/Dairy

Milk: America’s Health Problem
twixxer is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 08-13-2012, 10:00 AM   #85
I bringith the lowerballerith

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLOW View Post
but the gas lineups at the costco in bellingham...especially when you see most guys with BC plates and packing 3 or so jerry cans

i swear they should make a non-jerry can fill line only, meaning just for your car, if they see you pulling out a jerry can you get booted out of that line. sucks having to wait 45min to fill your car...i just go to the shell down the road now
I was there 2 long weekends ago and the lineup at the Costco Gas Station was a gong show. At least 45mins and you had guys bring jerry cans for fill up.

I personally go to a ARCO gas station (its in bellingham) and the prices is the same or 1-2 cents cheaper and guess what no LINEUPS!!!!!!
Old 08-13-2012, 10:29 AM   #86
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,451 Times in 1,123 Posts
I guess if you have a family of 10 to feed and have people in the household who have the time to go south of the border during the week, it can make sense to drive to the States and buy groceries in bulk.

I'm going to bring my ivory tower perspective: for single people who live north of the Fraser, who work 9-5ish and have other things to do, going south of the border on the weekends when it's most busy is a pain in the ass.

With that said, I do buy things down south from time to time such as auto parts and the occasional luxury good (e.g. Shoes) where the savings are significant enough to warrant my time.
Tapioca is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-13-2012, 10:36 AM   #87
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 4,763 Times in 1,748 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapioca View Post
I guess if you have a family of 10 to feed and have people in the household who have the time to go south of the border during the week, it can make sense to drive to the States and buy groceries in bulk.

I'm going to bring my ivory tower perspective: for single people who live north of the Fraser, who work 9-5ish and have other things to do, going south of the border on the weekends when it's most busy is a pain in the ass.

With that said, I do buy things down south from time to time such as auto parts and the occasional luxury good (e.g. Shoes) where the savings are significant enough to warrant my time.
Yep.

My wife and I have a costco card, but we never really buy any perishables from there because they just end up going bad before we can come close to eating them, negating pretty much any savings.
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 10:55 AM   #88
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

I've been shopping quite frequently at the Bellingham Costco and at US online stores (shipping to Blaine) for over the past 6 years. In the past year or so I have observed a huge surge in Indo/Chinese Canadians shopping at Bellingham Costco. The store is always busy, no matter what day of the week or time of day. Its crowded and unpleasant to shop in, very long lines and I can confirm the rudeness. The experience is the same as shopping at the Marine Dr Superstore and Richmond Costco COMBINED, the worst of both worlds.

I used to fill up at the Bellingham Costco Gas Bar but cant stand the new wait times, biggest gripe are the jerry cans! I'm all for saving money on a tank of gas but filling up jerry cans is taking it a little too far. It creates unfair longer wait times for everyone else in line and is a serious safety hazard. I really hope the CBSA starts cracking down on these "gas smugglers"
skholla is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-13-2012, 11:05 AM   #89
RS controls my life!

Might be a little off topic, but I came across this video on youtube a long time ago

Are some of the claims this doctor make true? or false?
He seems like a reputable doctor but I'm not much of an expert in nutrition to tell...
GGnoRE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 12:27 PM   #90
& Associates Inc.

Thanked 1,215 Times in 409 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4.leaf.clover View Post
This might not matter, and I might be wrong, but don't you technically have to wait 24 hours before you bring your milk home without paying taxes on it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by dboy View Post
Groceries don't get taxed IIRC
According to the CBSA website basic food items are duty and tax free, with that being said there are limits in regards to quantity. One traveller can only bring back 5gallons-20kg or $20 in dairy products per trip.

There are also limits in relation to meats, cheese, and so-on...
Old 08-13-2012, 01:21 PM   #91
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,355 Times in 3,445 Posts
The CBSA may have rules but the people at the boarder don't care.
Old 08-13-2012, 01:37 PM   #92
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Jul 19, 2012 9:07pm | Facebook

watch them destroy a whole pallet. LOL milk piranhas
wingies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 02:06 PM   #93
MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD

Thanked 3,511 Times in 1,156 Posts
this was in the province today.
[03-07, 03:26] Yodamaster - The feeling when you quickly insert without hitting the sides
nabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 02:16 PM   #94

Of all the times I have been down, I never went to Costco. Midnight runs to Walmart FTW!
Old 08-13-2012, 02:24 PM   #95
Survivor MOD

Thanked 1,615 Times in 574 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingies View Post

holy shit
T4RAWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 02:50 PM   #96

Thanked 2,451 Times in 1,123 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benz_05TSX View Post
Of all the times I have been down, I never went to Costco. Midnight runs to Walmart FTW!
It's an honest question - why do you make midnight runs to Walmart? Are tubs of whey protein that much cheaper? Or perhaps flats of Mobil 1 or Royal Purple? And once you factor in time and gas getting down there, do you actually save any money?

Moreover, where do people store their stuff? I would have no room in my condo for all of the food and non-perishables.
Tapioca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 02:55 PM   #97
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,436 Times in 4,279 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapioca View Post
It's an honest question - why do you make midnight runs to Walmart? Are tubs of whey protein that much cheaper? Or perhaps flats of Mobil 1 or Royal Purple? And once you factor in time and gas getting down there, do you actually save any money?

Moreover, where do people store their stuff? I would have no room in my condo for all of the food and non-perishables.
I can't speak for the costs of the items you listed but I'm going to think that it's a much more pleasant shopping experience as opposed to having to deal with the hoards of people during the day time.

I usually shop for groceries during the evening for that reason.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 03:00 PM   #98
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,493 Times in 1,158 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skholla View Post
I've been shopping quite frequently at the Bellingham Costco and at US online stores (shipping to Blaine) for over the past 6 years. In the past year or so I have observed a huge surge in Indo/Chinese Canadians shopping at Bellingham Costco. The store is always busy, no matter what day of the week or time of day. Its crowded and unpleasant to shop in, very long lines and I can confirm the rudeness. The experience is the same as shopping at the Marine Dr Superstore and Richmond Costco COMBINED, the worst of both worlds.

I used to fill up at the Bellingham Costco Gas Bar but cant stand the new wait times, biggest gripe are the jerry cans! I'm all for saving money on a tank of gas but filling up jerry cans is taking it a little too far. It creates unfair longer wait times for everyone else in line and is a serious safety hazard. I really hope the CBSA starts cracking down on these "gas smugglers"
The Richmond Costco is already a nightmare to shop in

I've never been to the Costco in Bellingham but it sounds very unpleasant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingies View Post

Just wow at the Milk hoarders

Random note, gas in Blaine is $3.879 a gallon at Texaco.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RX_Renesis View Post
wtf did she get some bolt-on titties or what?
they look sooooooooooo much bigger than they were 2ish years ago.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nns View Post
I can't stand the sound of Mandarin either. Boo yow nee bey nee shing bo now noong gey shee mayo mayo mayo mayo mayo mayo mayo.
TypeRNammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 03:15 PM   #99
Wanna have a threesome?

Thanked 5,054 Times in 1,657 Posts
I drink unpasteurized Canadian milk all the time; I have complete confidence in Canadian farming practices. I will not drink American milk, I do not trust the farming or pasteurization practices at all. The standards in animal husbandry are much much lower and the use of hormones are much higher in America than Europe or Canada.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGnoRE View Post
Might be a little off topic, but I came across this video on youtube a long time ago

Are some of the claims this doctor make true? or false?
He seems like a reputable doctor but I'm not much of an expert in nutrition to tell...
If you search, you'll be able to find studies both supporting and demonizing every possible dietary option. Milk is unhealthy, milk is healthy; carbs are unhealthy, carbs are healthy; red meat is unhealthy, red meat is healthy; cooked food is unhealthy, cooked food is healthy; oxygen is unhealthy, oxygen is necessity of life. Hell, I've heard of studies that support smoking. Generally, follow the mainstream doctors advice and ignore the ones on extremes and you'll do fine. Humans have been drinking milk produced by non-human animals for centuries.
MindBomber is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-13-2012, 03:26 PM   #100
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

hmm...am i the only one that enjoys freddy meyer more? i think the prices there are comparable...they used to have milk for 1.75 a gallon...now its 2.49...so its the same price and i get 10c off per gallon for the gas...