REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 08-13-2012, 04:15 PM   #101
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,731 Times in 1,322 Posts
They should come across the border, spend their hard earned money at our costco's and help our economy that would learn us.
Advertisement

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I donīt care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. Thatīs how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
quasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 05:24 PM   #102
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLOW View Post
but the gas lineups at the costco in bellingham...
Fred Meyers isn't that bad? just down the street off W Bakerview Road road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TypeRNammer View Post
The Richmond Costco is already a nightmare to shop in
I've never been to the Costco in Bellingham but it sounds very unpleasant.
Bellingham: 81,862 - Jul 2011
Source: U.S. Census Bureau

Surrey: 468,251
Population (2011 Census)

Problem?

Last edited by lgman; 08-14-2012 at 01:30 AM. Reason: F.M. address
lgman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 05:51 PM   #103
I subscribe to the Revscene NWS thread(s)

Milk at the Shell on D St in Blaine is only $2.79/gallon with gas purchase. That only ends up being 40c (on 2 jugs) more than Costco (which I think is $4.98 for 2 gallons) That's what I usually do if I'm just going down for a gas run and package pickup and don't feel like going that far past the border.
syee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 05:53 PM   #104
My homepage has been set to RS

Cheaper to buy that milk than spend the gas to drive to Bellingham. People who think the cost offset is worth it are lying to themselves.

If this is still in my sig, it's still avail.
falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-13-2012, 06:01 PM   #105
HELP ME PLS!!!

It's worth it for those who live in South Surrey and White Rock. Not so much if you live in Vancouver on a weekly basis.
willystyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 06:17 PM   #106
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 4,793 Times in 1,761 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by falcon View Post
Cheaper to buy that milk than spend the gas to drive to Bellingham. People who think the cost offset is worth it are lying to themselves.
They might save a few bucks...

But like was mentioned before, how much is your time worth?

Even if I lived on the mainland, MY time is worth more than the hassle of saving those few bucks.
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-13-2012, 06:50 PM   #107
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

IMHO it's only worth going to US Costcos if you are already going to the states for another reason (shopping, camping, vacation) or if you are doing a big shopping trip. Almost every item sold in US Costco stores is a savings over local prices. If the price is the same you may get 20-100% more, anything from cheese to meat, detergent to appliances. To make it worth my time I'm going to spend hundreds or tie in some Target and other shopping too. Not worth my time just for milk and gas.
skholla is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-13-2012, 08:30 PM   #108
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,380 Times in 3,906 Posts
Bellingham isn't that far... especially if you live in white rock/surrey

its basically the same distance from ridge to ubc compared to ridge to bellingham

and bellingham is closer for people in white rock than it is for white rock->ubc etc
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-13-2012, 08:37 PM   #109
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,802 Times in 3,898 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MindBomber View Post
I drink unpasteurized Canadian milk all the time; I have complete confidence in Canadian farming practices.
Do you live/know someone who lives on a dairy farm? I thought unpasteurized milk can't be sold in Canada legally
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 09:02 PM   #110
Wanna have a threesome?

Thanked 5,054 Times in 1,657 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchyzero View Post
Do you live/know someone who lives on a dairy farm? I thought unpasteurized milk can't be sold in Canada legally
In my case, I get raw milk from dairy farm owners who are family. Owners or employees of dairy farms are allowed to consume raw milk themselves and share it with family members, but they cannot sell or give it away to friends. A dairy farmer or employee caught doing so face the possibility of fines, jail time, seizure and destruction of their heard... kinda silly
MindBomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 10:13 PM   #111
HELP ME PLS!!!

I've read that Unpasteurized milk is actually better for human consumption.
willystyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 10:32 PM   #112
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,382 Times in 3,464 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by falcon View Post
It takes about 15 minutes To go to the Shell gas station across the boarder at night. Get gas and pick up milk, cheese, butter. eggs and a case of beer. It takes about 15 minutes to go to the nearest Superstore in the day when there is traffic. The savings are there. Going to Costco my sisters friend buys for both my sister and here family and they buy in bulk, $200 to $400 easy.

Last edited by Manic!; 08-14-2012 at 12:49 AM.
Manic! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 10:34 PM   #113

Quote:
Originally Posted by willystyle View Post
It can also make you very sick.
Old 08-13-2012, 10:37 PM   #114
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Thanked 1,619 Times in 378 Posts
im guilty of raping the bellingham costco,

I go once a month, fill up 4 jerry cans and my car,

grab a bunch of milk and cheese and groceries and my packages.

I calculated the savings for me and its roughly 45 dollars in total for the month for all the jerry cans and car fillup.

not including the groceries and mail pickup, total including all the groceries n shit, its probably like 100 bucks a month in savings.

a brown guy I work with who lives in surrey, saves about 200 a month in gas and groceries going to bellingham.

shit in vancouver is just too fucking expensive, when a 30 minute drive nets you half price on everything.

hell, even going on vacation, I fly out of bellingham, its like 30% of of the cost of our flights too.

I dont think i've spent a single dollar in canada in like a whole year, except for restaurants, cant avoid that.
Glove is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-13-2012, 10:46 PM   #115
Wanna have a threesome?

Quote:
Originally Posted by willystyle View Post
Yes, I believe unpasteurized, 'raw,' milk has health benefits over the pasteurized, processed alternative. I won't go into the long list of benefits, including taste, because this is already way off-topic. The only benefit of pasteurizing milk to the consumer is that it lowers the risk of contamination, and sometimes is fortified with vitamins to a higher level than would be naturally present. Milk can only be contaminated one of two ways,

1. a sick animal being milked,
2. environmental contamination during the processing (most often an unclean udder).

Animals are frequently tested to ensure they are healthy and udders are thoroughly cleaned and disinfected, regardless of whether the milk will be pasteurized or consumed raw so the risk is extremely minimal. If it were significant, the families of dairy farmers who consume exclusively raw milk would be getting sick, wouldn't they?

I tend to think that pasteurizing milk is mandatory partly because it ensures dairy farmers can only sell milk to large companies.

There are businesses called heard shares that effectively make you a farm owner, thereby entitled to raw milk, but since they operate on a technicality the only one in BC was shut down by the government.

I'm way off-topic....
My original somewhat on-topic point was, animal husbandry practices in America are often much lower than Canada which is one reason I would not consume milk or eggs produced by them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic! View Post
It can also make you very sick.
So can lettuce, let's pasteurize it.
This post thanked by:
Old 08-13-2012, 11:10 PM   #116
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
Quote:
Yes, I believe unpasteurized, 'raw,' milk has health benefits over the pasteurized, processed alternative. I won't go into the long list of benefits, including taste, because this is already way off-topic. The only benefit of pasteurizing milk to the consumer is that it lowers the risk of contamination, and sometimes is fortified with vitamins to a higher level than would be naturally present. Milk can only be contaminated one of two ways,

1. a sick animal being milked,
2. environmental contamination during the processing (most often an unclean udder).

Animals are frequently tested to ensure they are healthy and udders are thoroughly cleaned and disinfected, regardless of whether the milk will be pasteurized or consumed raw so the risk is extremely minimal. If it were significant, the families of dairy farmers who consume exclusively raw milk would be getting sick, wouldn't they?

I tend to think that pasteurizing milk is mandatory partly because it ensures dairy farmers can only sell milk to large companies.

There are businesses called heard shares that effectively make you a farm owner, thereby entitled to raw milk, but since they operate on a technicality the only one in BC was shut down by the government.

I'm way off-topic....
My original somewhat on-topic point was, animal husbandry practices in America are often much lower than Canada which is one reason I would not consume milk or eggs produced by them.

To add on top of this, in Canada, when cows are sick, farmers are required to throw out any milk coming out of a cow that's on antibiotics. The same goes for chickens. Growth hormones are only given to beef cattle, not dairy cows.

At least, that's what they're supposed to do.

I'll also drink unpasteurized milk if I come across it. I wont go out of my way to find it, but I also wont avoid it. Humans have drank unpasteurized milk for decades, and farmers and their families don't seem to be getting sick from it...

As for shopping down south, I've been to the Costco in Bellingham a couple times in the past. I don't usually go to the States just to head there; it's usually just one stop in many, and it's to buy a couple of dry food items that they don't carry up in Canada anymore. I personally don't think it's worth dealing with all the hassles of lining up and elbowing people to save a few dollars only to come right back up again. I'll make a trip of it and just spend the day being a tourist. Also, the amount of gas people use to drive down to Bellingham is silly since they can probably drive right to Pt Roberts or Blaine and save the same amount of money (especially once you factor in the gas you burn driving to Bellingham and back).
Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 11:35 PM   #117

Quote:

But you do wash it before eating it.
Old 08-13-2012, 11:49 PM   #118
Wanna have a threesome?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic! View Post
But you do wash it before eating it.
Yes, but ironically the e-coli outbreaks in the states have mostly been caused by pre-washed lettuce.
Old 08-13-2012, 11:53 PM   #119
I don't get it

isn't it more expensive to drive down there and keep an active costco membership?
Ver.Mitsubishi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 12:02 AM   #120
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,802 Times in 3,898 Posts
your canadian membership works in the US costco warehouse
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 12:09 AM   #121
I don't get it

i know but that money adds up right? you're buying chemically laced milk, driving 30 kms (at least) out of your way, and possibly paying duty on your purchases. not to mention the time spent in the lineups and the cost of the nexus card if you like shorter lines.

it sounds like that guy who would drive from richmond to point roberts to get gas. didnt someone calculate that he was only saving $20 a week but adding a TON of wear and tear on his car afterwords?

same principle.
Ver.Mitsubishi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 12:25 AM   #122
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,502 Times in 1,160 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ver.Mitsubishi View Post
i know but that money adds up right? you're buying chemically laced milk, driving 30 kms (at least) out of your way, and possibly paying duty on your purchases. not to mention the time spent in the lineups and the cost of the nexus card if you like shorter lines.

it sounds like that guy who would drive from richmond to point roberts to get gas. didnt someone calculate that he was only saving $20 a week but adding a TON of wear and tear on his car afterwords?

same principle.
This guy?

http://www.revscene.net/forums/66509...+point+roberts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RX_Renesis View Post
wtf did she get some bolt-on titties or what?
they look sooooooooooo much bigger than they were 2ish years ago.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nns View Post
I can't stand the sound of Mandarin either. Boo yow nee bey nee shing bo now noong gey shee mayo mayo mayo mayo mayo mayo mayo.
TypeRNammer is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-14-2012, 12:25 AM   #123
Wanna have a threesome?

The original page was deleted...

Guess the creator decided a page full of xenophobic, narcissistic, and racist comments, discouraging Canadians from visiting and propping up the Bellingham economy wasn't good publicity eh?

new page here..
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Thurs...08297142589323

and a spoof page is here..
https://www.facebook.com/BellinghamC...stForCanadians

Last edited by MindBomber; 08-14-2012 at 12:47 AM.
This post thanked by:
Old 08-14-2012, 12:44 AM   #124
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,502 Times in 1,160 Posts
Facebook video link died

Here's a youtube link

Quote:
Originally Posted by RX_Renesis View Post
wtf did she get some bolt-on titties or what?
they look sooooooooooo much bigger than they were 2ish years ago.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nns View Post
I can't stand the sound of Mandarin either. Boo yow nee bey nee shing bo now noong gey shee mayo mayo mayo mayo mayo mayo mayo.
TypeRNammer is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-14-2012, 12:52 AM   #125

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ver.Mitsubishi View Post

same principle.
That's close ta $1000 a year. and I went 6 times in one week and bought back $100's of dollars of stuff and never got charged duty.