REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 08-24-2012, 06:24 PM   #26
Banned (ABWS)?

Thanked 3,978 Times in 1,684 Posts
I don't understand this.
How was Apple able to successfully sue Samsung for copying icons and other similar (but not the same) things
when Lego was unsuccesful at suing MegaBloks.
Advertisement
Last edited by AzNightmare; Today at 10:09 AM
AzNightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 06:33 PM   #27
Ready to be Man handled by RS!

Thanked 1,502 Times in 506 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
patent laws are going to royally fuck innovation in the coming years until somthing is changed

if you want an insight on how fucked patent laws are follow Mark Cuban on twitter
Sorry, but this is a win for innovation. I'd love to hear any argument that explains how this is going to somehow stifle innovation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackAss View Post
would be interesting to see how many of those Jury uses iPhone
The details of the jury members are available. Only one iPhone user on the jury and no Samsung smartphone owners. Two Android users, three LG users and two Samsung feature phone users. One guy had no mobile phone but previously had an LG as well.

As to the schooling/employment of the jury, six had graduated from college, three had graduate degrees and two were engineers. Four worked for tech companies including AT&T and Intel, one of those was for a hard drive company. So it looks like a good mix of people and not a bunch of "stupid rednecks". So there goes the argument that the jurors were too stupid or not educated enough to be able to decide this type of case.

But this is the best part. Copied directly from Samsung's official statement:

Quote:
It is unfortunate that patent law can be manipulated to give one company a monopoly over rectangles with rounded corners, or technology that is being improved every day by Samsung and other companies.
Did the person who wrote that forget that of all the patents Apple asserted, the one where Apple lost was the "rounded rectangle" patent?

And Samsung has the nerve to release an official statement to try and convince people that the trial was about "rounded rectangles" when Samsung actually won that portion of the case?
dangonay is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-24-2012, 06:35 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzNightmare View Post
I don't understand this.
How was Apple able to successfully sue Samsung for copying icons and other similar (but not the same) things
when Lego was unsuccesful at suing MegaBloks.
Lego's patent had expired. So they tried a different tactic to go after Mega Blocks for trademark infringement instead of patent infringement. The judge said that Lego can't try to indefinitely extend its expired patent through other means.
Old 08-24-2012, 06:44 PM   #29
I want to be a person and not an icon.

Thanked 5,286 Times in 892 Posts
Vale46Rossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 06:46 PM   #30
Marcosexual Fan Club, CEO

The only people getting rich here are the idiot lawyers.
Old 08-24-2012, 06:58 PM   #31
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,755 Times in 544 Posts
had a hard time reading that number lol

ilovebacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 07:17 PM   #32
Banned (ABWS)?

Thanked 3,978 Times in 1,684 Posts
I haven't been following this case from the beginning...
So what exactly are all the things Apple is suing Samsung for (and vice versa)?

Is there a list somewhere, with which company won which portion of the case?
Last edited by AzNightmare; Today at 10:09 AM
AzNightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 07:46 PM   #33
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

edit: nvm just read dangonay's reply.

Cars:
02' Lexus IS300 5spd
07' BMW 323iA
05' BMW Z4 5spd
06' BMW 330i 6spd
10' Audi A4 quattro
08' BMW M3 6spd
15' Kawasaki Ninja300
08' Yamaha R6
10' Honda Ridgeline
17' Audi Q5
16' BMW X5D

Last edited by bing; 08-24-2012 at 07:53 PM.
bing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 07:47 PM   #34
...in the world.

Thanked 7,636 Times in 2,321 Posts
I don't see why this is bad for innovation. With this as precedent, companies need to actually make NEW things rather than "improving" on them.

Sure, Apple can't patent rounded rectangles but by making icons that look pretty much exactly like Apple's, how is that good for innovation? Apple doesn't have a patent on blue shirts, glass walls and wood tables with an open product format but that doesn't stop the "Samsung Store" from looking pretty much exactly like Apples.

The way I see it is that by "improving" on stuff that Apple made, Samsung was never going to gain any ground in the mobile phone market because Apple just make a better iPhone than they do. Why not make something that's entirely different...or at least LOOKS entirely different?
Ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-24-2012, 07:55 PM   #35

You know why Apple won?

Apple proved that Samsung's designer COPIED Apple's design.
In court Samsung proved that the technology exists BUT Apple proved that Samsung copied THEIR that technology.

Samsung copying Apple's UI regards of touch wiz : 132-page document shows full extent of iPhone's influence on Samsung interface design | The Verge

More info :

Here's Samsung's Step-By-Step Guide For How To Copy An iPhone - Business Insider

Last edited by Vale46Rossi; 08-24-2012 at 08:17 PM.
Old 08-24-2012, 07:56 PM   #36
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

^ Samsung copied early to get into the game. But their new phones (S3 etc) are totally different than Iphones.

Having said that, I seriously think that certain designs cant be patented, as some of it isn't innovation, but more a style.
Style and design isn't technology. If I decide to wear a certain type of shirt style, I shouldnt be able to put a patent on it
iEatClams is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 08-24-2012, 08:34 PM   #37
MiX iT Up!

Thanked 2,066 Times in 865 Posts
Anyone know when the Motorola vs. Apple case is?
Waiting to see that.
Word is that Moto is going after location services , push email , Siri

Sometimes we tend to be in despair when the person we love leaves us, but the truth is, it's not our loss, but theirs, for they left the only person who couldn't give up on them.

Make the effort and take the risk..

"Do what you feel in your heart to be right- for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't." - Eleanor Roosevelt
tiger_handheld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 08:38 PM   #38
...in the world.

Thanked 7,636 Times in 2,321 Posts
That'll be a Google v Apple case, since Google owns Motorola Mobility (or Mobile?).
Ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 10:52 PM   #39
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dangonay View Post

But this is the best part. Copied directly from Samsung's official statement:

Did the person who wrote that forget that of all the patents Apple asserted, the one where Apple lost was the "rounded rectangle" patent?

And Samsung has the nerve to release an official statement to try and convince people that the trial was about "rounded rectangles" when Samsung actually won that portion of the case?
My apple fan-boy meter blew up, but I have to side with you on this. Samsung is a bloody joke with the way they handled the entire litigation.

*Disclaimer, I'm a BB+lenovo user*

2013 Lexus IS350 F-Sport (Melbourne)
too_slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 11:06 PM   #40

In the end of this, it's 1 billion dollars to them its really nothing and all just a number and what will pan out in the future.

The lawyers are who made a killing
Old 08-24-2012, 11:15 PM   #41
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,357 Times in 3,446 Posts
Waiting for the appeal.
Old 08-24-2012, 11:40 PM   #42
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,372 Times in 3,904 Posts
so i wonder if apple won back all that they had to give to nokia
(the actual numbers on that case is unknown aside from the lump sum and patent use shared to nokia the ongoing royalty is ???)

!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwy View Post
BB is crap and Nokia hasn't really made anything worthwhile in a...while.
I say I say I SAY how dare you sir!

Last edited by StylinRed; 08-25-2012 at 12:01 AM.
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 11:59 PM   #43
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Thanked 1,753 Times in 353 Posts
in 15 years apple will get fucked
Bahhbeehhaaaa is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 08-25-2012, 12:52 AM   #44
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bahhbeehhaaaa View Post
in 15 years apple will get fucked
100billion and growing cash reserve, huge patent portfolio, world class supply chain model and marketing abilities that can control minds.

its is going to be longer than 15years.....
Anjew is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-25-2012, 12:59 AM   #45
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Long, but good read. Shows why the current patent system is flawed in regards to Apple / Google / MS.

Did Google buying MMI actually make the patent mess worse? - AfterDawn
twstd_reality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 03:11 AM   #46
(╯°□°)╯聽不到 ╮(°□°╮)

Thanked 11,193 Times in 2,275 Posts
Cellular Innovation is already fucked in North America, this lawsuit just makes it even more difficult. This is why we can't have nice things. The providers rule, and companies like Samsung will cave in to carrier demands JUST to have product in store.

Apple was rejected by Verizon in the very beginning, and ATT basically gave Apple a chance to succeed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dangonay
Sorry, but this is a win for innovation. I'd love to hear any argument that explains how this is going to somehow stifle innovation.
Innovation in what sense? The from the looks of how the cellular industry is going, the END USER EXPERIENCE is starting to play a HUGE factor into the future. Past Apple keynotes have focused on how the iOS system helps the user, same goes with when Samsung announced the S3. The hardware/screen war will always be the same stale spec vs spec war, it comes down to features. THIS is where innovation falls into the hands of software devs in which this entire lawsuit can be ignored. Innovation comes from within the device and what it is capable of. It is the very reason that people talk about this and that feature when comparing devices.

The cellular providers in NORTH AMERICA is the biggest culprit on not allowing innovation. Every big giant, even outside of North America require their devices to be preloaded with bloatware. Not a big deal for some, but limits on functions such as tethering is an example.

When a company wants to release a device into the market in the US and Canada, it must go through the providers. A lot of the marketing comes from the inside in which the carrier decides what to push and ultimately, if you dont play by the rules of said carrier, your going to have a hard time getting your phone in to the hands of the consumer.

Palm is an example, Verizon backed out of the Palm Pre, so they settled with Sprint with limited distribution. It had a tough time competing with the iPhone available on ATT as Sprint just isn't a large carrier compared to Verizon, in which it does have the resources to compete with ATT. When Verizon decided to pick up the Pre Plus, phones were ordered and produced, but evidently, they shifted focus on promoting the Motorola Droid. Shipments of the Pre Plus were denied and there was no focus on Verizon's end to sell the Pre Plus. This costed Palm and was eventually bought out by HP

Rogers wanted exclusive rights to the HTC One X. A great device that could stand up on par with iPhone and the S3. The device failed to compete as Rogers did in fact shift focus away from the One X, even though it was exclusive to them.

Cell providers fight for consumers just as hardware manufactures fight for consumers, but if your method of distribution of said device must go through the provider, who have their own strategies to compete for the same consumers and they decide roughly into a quarter or right before launch that they are changing the direction of sales to a rival device, well, the device manufacturer is left with many unsold phones and loss of revenue.

Cell providers in North America have ripped consumers apart. Subsidy in pricing of the hardware in exchange for a lengthy commitment to a carrier. This has always been the way of business. This thought has been driven into the minds of the consumer and they are also unwilling to spend 500+ on the top of the line phone in one shot. Apple would have released the original iPhone on it's own if they could, but without carrier support, there is no way that it would have succeed as quick as it did. It wasn't until last year where the iPhone 4 could be purchased outright and unlocked through Apple directly placing the choice on the consumer to buy. Google's Nexus line is the same idea, cut the provider and sell directly to the consumer so they have a choice.

Fact is this, the cellular providers make it difficult for hardware manufacturers to truly innovate. If you don't play nice with carriers, than you can say goodbye to your fancy features just because said provider believes that certain features could threaten profits because it does certain things that the provider wants to provide(such as tethering)

This lawsuit/patent war is Apple's way of protecting it's brand. It doesn't exactly "win" on innovation. The big companies know features are the future on moving the industry forward.

Of course, this is the North American market and how business is conducted in which the carrier has much more to say in the outcome of the device makers flagship. The leash is much longer outside of our continent.

on the other hand, one of the reasons why the S3 is dual core here is because Qualcomm initially didn't want to see their LTE module paired with a Samsung CPU and here are the reasons

1. Carriers spent too much developing LTE
2. LTE is the newest thing going forward here
3. Qualcomm didn't want to see their LTE module with a Samsung Chip

Basically, the carriers told Samsung to do it this way, or else no S3 would have landed on our shores. Of course, this has changed with Samsung ready to roll out a Quad core LTE ready device on the Exynos chip with LTE in Germany.

Last edited by Tim Budong; 08-25-2012 at 04:28 AM.
Tim Budong is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-25-2012, 05:49 AM   #47
resident Oil Guru

Thanked 10,457 Times in 1,794 Posts
Not really a ton of money.. 1billion is nothing in the bigger picture. Samsung will just shrug it off and life moves on.

Last edited by LiquidTurbo; 08-25-2012 at 05:55 AM.
LiquidTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 06:05 AM   #48
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dangonay View Post
My argument is kinda weak but here it goes:
Nowadays, it would appear innovation is based on patents. Whoever patents the idea first, wins. Apple have been patenting every idea they come up with even the ideas that doesnt leave the sketchbooks phase. Samsung havent been patenting ideas - including the ideas that do proceed into the beta testing phase. So this means from here on out, every idea designers and programmers come up with will need a bigger team of lawyers going through filed patents to make sure every single small idea did not get patented in the past. The bottleneck in innovation would appear to not be determined by inventors but by lawyers in the future.
Gnomes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 06:48 AM   #49
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 2,485 Times in 1,007 Posts
so if a car manufacture starts getting patents for car design (i.e. having doors), they can also sue?

this makes no sense... how else are they going to make icons? a big rectangular icon? square shape headset? triangle phone shape????
Old 08-25-2012, 08:43 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthchilli View Post
Cellular Innovation is already fucked in North America, this lawsuit just makes it even more difficult.----snip----
Nice little rant, but what does Apple having a patent on a couple of features have to do with carriers and their asinine policies? Or to put it another way, if Samsung had won are you going to claim that the carriers would suddenly change their business practices?

I think this case is irrelevant to how the carriers operate - they will continue doing what they always have regardless of whether Samsung or Apple won.