REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 08-24-2012, 09:43 PM   #1
Need to Seek Professional Help

Thanked 1,283 Times in 196 Posts
Witnesses at Surrey street racing trial describe revving engines prior to fatal crash

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Province
The drivers of the two Corvettes waiting at the Surrey stop light were talking and laughing through their windows, revving their engines at each other, seemingly primed for a street race.

“It did appear they were trying to show whose engine was bigger,” said Philippa Bond, who testified Friday in B.C. Provincial Court in Surrey.

Gurjit Singh Dhillon is charged with one count of dangerous operation of a motor vehicle while street racing causing death in connection with the Sept. 17, 2009 crash that killed 83-year-old Pritam Benning. It has been admitted that Dhillon was driving the black Corvette that killed Benning. At issue is whether he was racing or driving dangerously at the time.

Bond was on 72nd Avenue, stopped at the intersection with 128th, when she spotted the black and yellow Corvettes. They were in the southbound lanes of 128th waiting for the light to change.

Bond said after the light turned green and the cars took off, engines roaring, they quickly changed lanes.

“The black Corvette was trying to keep up with the yellow Corvette. He was swerving in and out of lanes,” she said.

Bond saw the black Corvette clip another car, spin two or three times and then careen into the bench where Benning sat waiting for a bus.

“The bus bench fell back and he flew about six feet,” the 26-year-old said, dissolving into tears.

When cross-examined by the defence about the drivers’ behaviour, Bond said: “I don’t think they left their houses intending to race, but with revving their engines, that seemed to be their idea.”

Bond was one of six people Friday who told the court what they saw in the minutes leading up to the collision.

Randolph Frilund, 53, was driving down 128th Street, on his way home from work, when he heard a sound “like a jet engine” and saw two Corvettes — one yellow, one black — race past him.

“They both went by pretty quickly,” Frilund testified.

Frilund said the black Corvette had to stop quickly at 72nd Avenue, and the rear end of the car fishtailed a bit. When the light turned green the cars accelerated, but the yellow one was faster. The black one collided with another vehicle and “shot like a cannon” into Benning.

“I saw the gentleman on the park bench kind of in the air. He was in the air,” Frilund said, prompting sobs from Benning’s family.

Other witnesses reported hearing revving at the stop light, loud accelerating and screeching tires. There were conflicting reports about whether the drivers of both cars were communicating and their positions in traffic.

Two people reported seeing the yellow Corvette stop briefly after the crash before leaving. The driver has never been identified.

Manjit Benning said outside court that he and his family have been waiting to hear the eyewitness accounts of the crash.

“We didn’t know what occurred and now because we came to the court case we’re hearing a little bit more of what actually did happen,” he said. “These people, they have no agenda so they’re going to say what they saw.”

Manjit said it was most difficult to listen to the accounts from those who saw his father thrown from the bench: “It’s just senseless.”

The trial continues.
Witnesses at Surrey street racing trial describe revving engines prior to fatal crash

Extreme prejudice? Their description of the happenings is horrifying already
Advertisement
AW607 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 10:12 PM   #2
RS controls my life!

I remember that day. Had class at Kwantlen. Parked my car, and started walking to gas station, for whatever reason (can't remember now), I went back to my car for something. If I hadn't have, good chance I would have been there to either witness the incident, or have been apart of it.

Busy intersection and street. Guy should get the book thrown at him.
Wykydtron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 11:24 PM   #3
I want to be a person and not an icon.

Thanked 5,286 Times in 892 Posts
Some dark stuff.
Vale46Rossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 01:38 AM   #4
y'all better put some respeck on my name

Thanked 9,244 Times in 2,359 Posts
Sad thing is nothing will happen, maybe a suspended license and some sort of house arrest. Bloody BS laws in this country.
Harvey Specter is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-25-2012, 03:08 AM   #5
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

criminal record, inability to leave the country for awhile, cant drive again ever hopefully, cant leave the house for 6 months to a year. i think that is enough time for them to sit and contemplate their stupidity.

hard time in prison isnt exactly necessary
Anjew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 04:42 AM   #6

Sending these jacks to a maximum security prison for a few years and letting them get ass raped by a bunch of fat, hairy dudes is my idea of giving these guys time to contemplate their stupidity.
This post thanked by:
Old 08-25-2012, 06:00 AM   #7
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,941 Times in 765 Posts
Yellow corvette driver not identified, are you fucking kidding me?

Police and courts are a joke here, this is manslaughter, dumb actions lead to death... 20+ yrs sounds about right before any chance of parole
4444 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-25-2012, 07:54 AM   #8
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,731 Times in 1,322 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anjew View Post
criminal record, inability to leave the country for awhile, cant drive again ever hopefully, cant leave the house for 6 months to a year. i think that is enough time for them to sit and contemplate their stupidity.

hard time in prison isnt exactly necessary
Where is the justice for the victims family in that scenario? Punishment isn't all about the offender part of it is for the victim or in this case the victims family.

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I don´t care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. That´s how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
quasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 09:05 AM   #9
My homepage has been set to RS

the court system and Laws are an absolute joke!
Nabatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 02:17 PM   #10
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Canada is where people can get away with murder (without being super rich nor have strong connections)
Gnomes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 02:29 PM   #11

Thanked 4,578 Times in 934 Posts
at least he'll probably do more time than monty robinson
vitaminG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 02:40 PM   #12
#savethemanuals

Thanked 2,551 Times in 950 Posts
^ that Monty Robinson case bothers me. He was given a lenient sentence partly because he was native. So are there two sets of rules in this country? One for natives and one for the rest of us?

Quote:
Justice Janice Dillon also ordered Robinson to write an apology to the family of Orion Hutchinson, who was killed in the crash, and pay a $1,000 fine to Victim Services.

At the sentencing hearing, Robinson never apologized or expressed remorse for leaving Hutchinson dead or dying on the road while he went home to drink.

But Dillon also noted that when she handed down the sentence she had to consider the fact Robinson was a first time offender, an alcoholic and an aboriginal man.

Last edited by Energy; 08-25-2012 at 02:45 PM.
Energy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-25-2012, 04:07 PM   #13
Wanna have a threesome?

Thanked 5,054 Times in 1,657 Posts
Quote:
one count of dangerous operation of a motor vehicle while street racing causing death
It is possible that a life sentence will be dealt, but precedence suggests a couple years in prison and a driving ban will be the sentence given. Truthfully, I would find that sentence a bit light but not appalling low if Dhillion shows extreme remorse and is co-operative. The driver of the yellow corvette deserves to have the book thrown at him if he's ever found, everyone hiding him too.

A recent sentencing for the same charge was 2.5 years in prison and a 5 year driving ban.
Man, 19, off to prison for street race that killed friend - Crime - Canoe.ca

Quote:
249.4. Dangerous operation of motor vehicle while street racing

249.4 (1) Everyone commits an offence who, while street racing, operates a motor vehicle in a manner described in paragraph 249(1)(a).

Punishment

(2) Everyone who commits an offence under subsection (1)

(a) is guilty of an indictable offence and liable to imprisonment for a term not exceeding five years; or

(b) is guilty of an offence punishable on summary conviction.

Dangerous operation causing bodily harm

(3) Everyone who commits an offence under subsection (1) and thereby causes bodily harm to another person is guilty of an indictable offence and liable to imprisonment for a term not exceeding fourteen years.

Dangerous operation causing death

(4) Everyone who commits an offence under subsection (1) and thereby causes the death of another person is guilty of an indictable offence and liable to imprisonment for life.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Energy View Post
^ that Monty Robinson case bothers me. He was given a lenient sentence partly because he was native. So are there two sets of rules in this country? One for natives and one for the rest of us?
In the thread dedicated to the sentence Monty Robinson received, section Section 718.2(e) was discussed in depth. In short, the section recognizes the disproportionate representation of aboriginal people in prison, and the failure of prison to effectively rehabilitate aboriginal people, instructing Judges to consider more effective sentencing strategies than prison, if possible; leniency is not given due to aboriginal status, sentences are just structured differently.

It would be inappropriate to hijack the thread dedicated to this tragedy to re-open that discussion.
MindBomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 12:46 AM   #14
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,121 Times in 669 Posts
at first i thought it was these two idiots

RIP to those that died for the enjoyment of these two fucking idoits.
xilley is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-02-2012, 07:25 AM   #15
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

well this pos is finally found guilty

well this dude was finally found guilty...remember reading of this case and how his buddy, Sukdeep Grewal
in the car with him at the time, LIED and said he doesn't recall dhillon engaging in any 'let's race' contact
with the other driver ...BS...another pos.

some justice finally done.

the only reason the crown couldn't hold the more serious street racing charges
against this dufus is because the other racer didn't come forward
(another piece of work)....so they had to downgrade them to something that would be proveable.

the first link below was done in august by the cbc ..has the 911 recording in which he deflects
his own responsibility, saying ''something happened to my car, it went out of control'
'...yeah, no shit, idiot.

....but the most recent developments
and the final verdict are the 2nd and 3rd links below it...the poor grandfather
who was hit, well his legs were allegedly crushed and just about amputated by the impact.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/britis...ace-trial.html

http://www.globaltvbc.com/trial+for+...777/story.html

Driver found guilty of Surrey bus-stop fatality

Driver Who Mowed Down Indo-Canadian Senior Found Guilty | Link Newspaper

Last edited by canali; 12-02-2012 at 12:18 PM.
canali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 08:28 AM   #16
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

I think he might get deported since its believed he's not a citizen. When the media asked him he did not confirm/deny, so who knows him getting deported there may be justice served.
vantrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 09:26 AM   #17

yeah, just found that out in the 2nd link by global
(on dhillon not being a cdn citizen and thus
possibly open to deportation due to being charged with an indictable offence.).

http://www.globaltvbc.com/trial+for+...777/story.html

hope this piece of trash gets sent back asap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vantrip View Post
I think he might get deported since its believed he's not a citizen. When the media asked him he did not confirm/deny, so who knows him getting deported there may be justice served.

Last edited by canali; 12-02-2012 at 09:57 AM.
Old 12-02-2012, 11:13 AM   #18

Thanked 1,941 Times in 765 Posts
he'll get deported, change his name, and come back - such BS, some justice but not true justice
4444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 11:43 AM   #19
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,785 Times in 2,492 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4444 View Post
he'll get deported, change his name, and come back - such BS, some justice but not true justice
please tell me it's not really that easy to get back in with a simple name change

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 11:46 AM   #20
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

this is why we need a dexter morgan IRL

Nechako87 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-02-2012, 12:28 PM   #21
Banned (ABWS)

I remember seeing the accused wife talking about how he stopped and tried to save the old man, thinking the people would give him empathy and forgive him. Point is the dude is a total idiot and it was his fault, and whether he stopped and "did the right thing" isn't the point and he gets w.e is coming to him.
Red-nijzllab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 01:14 PM   #22
The Lone Wanderator

Thanked 4,367 Times in 1,137 Posts
There was a dude about ten years ago who killed a lady while street racing; I think he spun out along marine drive. Similar story; Indian guy, not a citizen, got deported. He appealed for quite awhile on humanitarian grounds (lived here all his life, not able to function in society, etc etc).

Still got deported. Don't think I ever saw anything after that about him. I have to say it kind of makes me wonder what the disadvantages of getting Canadian citizenship is. Like, what makes it so worth it to not become a citizen?

Not that I'm complaining about being able to deport people who've shown not to respect the country, that is.
Graeme S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 02:21 PM   #23

wasn't it TWO indo drivers who were involved in that particular street race...both of whom were not cdns? and their scum lawyer(s) was/were doing the regular greasy acrobatics to avoid the deportations with delays, appeals etc?

on another note, i'm looking forward to the drunk driving/hit n' run trial of victims charlene reaveley (mother of 4 kids) and lorraine cruz (nursing student) happened in pt coquitlam in feb 2010, by hit and run/drunk driver cory sater in pt coquitlam at pitt river and lougheed highway (i'll post on that as we get closer)

...this case is coming up in Feb/2013...

if you remember charlene was the good samaritan who stopped to help out lorraine cruz and boyfriend paolo calabahim when their car was involved in a minor incident (at the intersection of lougheed hwy and pitt river)...and cory sater, drunk (already on probation to NOT drink and drive from previous convictions ie assault) plowed right into them, instantly killing reaveley, cruz, while cruz' boyfriend paolo suffered serious head and foot injuries (one of his feet above ankle had to be amputated. the fucker, sater after he hit them, didn't even stop! from what i read even first responders were so shook up by the carnage that some of them needed victims services counselling too.

and all this happened right in front of charlene reaveley's husband Dan...talk about trauma!

of course the next day, with one of the best defence lawyers around (tony serka) only then did sater turn himself in: cause he knew he'd be up shit creek had a breathalyzer been done on him at the scene, given his parole conditions and previous convictions.

------------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graeme S View Post
There was a dude about ten years ago who killed a lady while street racing; I think he spun out along marine drive. Similar story; Indian guy, not a citizen, got deported. He appealed for quite awhile on humanitarian grounds (lived here all his life, not able to function in society, etc etc).

Still got deported. Don't think I ever saw anything after that about him. I have to say it kind of makes me wonder what the disadvantages of getting Canadian citizenship is. Like, what makes it so worth it to not become a citizen?

Not that I'm complaining about being able to deport people who've shown not to respect the country, that is.

Last edited by canali; 12-02-2012 at 02:35 PM.
Old 12-02-2012, 02:28 PM   #24
The Lone Wanderator

Thanked 4,367 Times in 1,137 Posts
IIRC it was two drivers involved in the incident, but only the one who spun out of control was charged with the woman's death; the other only with MVA violations. So one guy got deported and the other got a heavy slap on the wrist.

But it was a long time ago, and my brain is aging fast.
Graeme S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 05:30 PM   #25

Well the deportation case was a high profile case but there's other cases involving speed and fatalities were people are getting a slap on the wrist by some judges. Imagine the orderly families have to go through, sitting in court and hearing horrific details and at the end the person is free to walk and live their lives like nothing happen while the families have to suffer for the rest of their lives.
This post FAILED by: