REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Food & Fine Dining (https://www.revscene.net/forums/food-fine-dining_33/)
-   -   'Diners, Drive-ins and Dives' Joints (https://www.revscene.net/forums/672983-diners-drive-ins-dives-joints.html)

RayBot 08-28-2012 09:18 AM

'Diners, Drive-ins and Dives' Joints

Just wondering if anyone watches the show as I do. For anyone whos been any of these joints, they know that whatever restaurants they feature (whether or not its good), turns to gold with lineups out the door in prime time eating hours.

So far, Vancouver has hosted 8 sessions of DD&D:
Falconettis
Jethro's Fine Grub
Save on Meats
Peaceful Handmade Noodles
The Red Wagon
Meat and Bread
Fresh Local Wild
Tomahawk

And hundred others across the continent. Any reviews??

So far, I've been to:
Peaceful: For me, it was over rated. With a 45 minute lineup, I could have gone to one of the other noodle joints right beside. If you ask me, Tang Dynasty has the same kinda food (but not as selective), bigger portions, and superior service.

Jethros: Best place for breakfast, especially pancakes!! Too bad it only holds like 20 people. I still haven't tried their lunch. I think this may be one of Vancouver's only places that serves alligator bites, which i still haven't tried.

Meat and Bread: Not for me. Their signature sandwich is chinese roast pork inside a bun. Not to mention (haven't been to both locations) they don't even have a washroom. But, as the title states...it is what it is.

Also been to:
Big and Littles in Chicago- Foie Gras fries for $16???? Stupid wife.

White Palace in Chicago- Great comfort food about 2 steps up from Denny's....and ironic that its called 'White Palace,' considered its filled with black people. The popular dish there is chicken and waffles...go figure, huh? But its awesome there.

Bro's Cajun Cuisine in Nashville- Such good bang for the buck. Plus they have this dish of a pound of spicy crawfish for 7 bucks....that was a memorable appy!

Martin's Southern BBQ in Nashville- Ecchh....i prefer the Hog Shack in Steveston.

Santofu 08-28-2012 09:24 AM

Last time I went to Red Wagon...
The pancakes were a little heavy since it was pretty dense...
I wish they make their cake more lighter so it would be a perfect ratio with pulled pork and pancakes...

Vale46Rossi 08-28-2012 10:26 AM

I always drive by save on meats and it scares me everytime... kinda sketchy... Saw it on triple D and I still couldn't bring my self to go in to try.

impulseX 08-28-2012 10:59 AM

only been to red wagons and this was before i saw it on triple D's. good food except my recent visit, my bennys were overcooked, but it took them a while to come by since they were so busy. offered me new ones and even tho i know it only takes a few minutes to poach new eggs, was on a time constraint as i had many places to show my guests from out of town. they did end up discounting my meal which was nice

Bonka 08-28-2012 11:06 AM

Fuck Red Wagon.

Save-On-Meats was good way back. Not sure how they are now..

winson604 08-28-2012 11:22 AM

I've only been to the following. Not going to do an in depth review just a quick 1 liner or 2.

Peaceful - I actually think they're pretty good and the beef roll is dope. I would not wait 45mins for it though.

Red Wagon - Started going here long before it was on the show b/c it's by my house. Decent joint but nothing to go crazy about. I laugh every day as I drive by and see suckas lining up for a long time.

Meat & Bread - The signature sandwhich is alright but being Chinese I can't help but just keep thinking about the Roasted Pork I've eaten my whole life. For a quick fix I'm down with this place.

Fresh Local Wild - Finally tried this place a few weeks back and it's not too shabby. Tried the seafood poutine and fish and chips. The seafood poutine was a nice change from your regular poutine and the fish and chips were pretty tasty. If I worked down the street I would probably hit it once in a while but being a food cart I probably won't be back unless I'm in the area.

Jethros - Tried this last week and neither I or my gf was impressed at all. Hashbrowns were burnt as hell, taste just wasn't really there, food was just pretty sloppy overall.

bcrdukes 08-28-2012 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bonka (Post 8014913)
Fuck Red Wagon.

Sounds like you had a bad experience. :p

Care to share?

(FYI - I particularly do not care for Red Wagon myself.)

sonick 08-28-2012 11:51 AM

Hipsters love waiting in line for brunch.

bcrdukes 08-28-2012 11:56 AM

That and throw in a mixed bag of half-assed service.

RayBot 08-28-2012 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by winson604 (Post 8014926)
I've only been to the following. Not going to do an in depth review just a quick 1 liner or 2.

Peaceful - I actually think they're pretty good and the beef roll is dope. I would not wait 45mins for it though.

Red Wagon - Started going here long before it was on the show b/c it's by my house. Decent joint but nothing to go crazy about. I laugh every day as I drive by and see suckas lining up for a long time.

Meat & Bread - The signature sandwhich is alright but being Chinese I can't help but just keep thinking about the Roasted Pork I've eaten my whole life. For a quick fix I'm down with this place.

Fresh Local Wild - Finally tried this place a few weeks back and it's not too shabby. Tried the seafood poutine and fish and chips. The seafood poutine was a nice change from your regular poutine and the fish and chips were pretty tasty. If I worked down the street I would probably hit it once in a while but being a food card I probably won't be back unless I'm in the area.

Jethros - Tried this last week and neither I or my gf was impressed at all. Hashbrowns were burnt as hell, taste just wasn't really there, food was just pretty sloppy overall.

Yeah...thats EXACTLY what i thought about Meat and Bread. My wife loves it, i have no clue why.

And the beef rolls in Peaceful will be the ONLY reason why i would want to go back. That is something you can order there, and never have it anywhere else.

As for Jethros, my meal was a spanish breakfast dish that I wanted to try. You're right...pretty sloppy. However, i LOVE burnt hashbrowns. But the pancakes...i can just order two stacks of those, and call it a day.

RayBot 08-28-2012 03:41 PM

Heres something i ordered in Big and Littles in Chicago: soft shell crab taco

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/A1bDUQpCIAEY_Ud.jpg:large

SumAznGuy 08-28-2012 04:25 PM

Not on DDD, but Argo's cafe was on "You gotta eat here" and it was pretty good.

I always see the lineup at Red Wagon and want to try it. Maybe one day when I have time to lineup, and if I get bored of waiting, I can run across the street for some Churches.

winson604 08-28-2012 10:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RayBot (Post 8015140)
Yeah...thats EXACTLY what i thought about Meat and Bread. My wife loves it, i have no clue why.

And the beef rolls in Peaceful will be the ONLY reason why i would want to go back. That is something you can order there, and never have it anywhere else.

As for Jethros, my meal was a spanish breakfast dish that I wanted to try. You're right...pretty sloppy. However, i LOVE burnt hashbrowns. But the pancakes...i can just order two stacks of those, and call it a day.

Yea, don't get me wrong I was cool with it all and if I was in the hood I would not mind stopping by for a quick bite. With that said though, it isn't sick enough that I would be like "shit I'm craving some meat and bread let's go hit it". You know there are places that just have that appeal where you would crave it and purposely go but sadly this isn't one of them.

bcrdukes 08-29-2012 12:05 AM

Tried Meat & Bread several times when I was in the area.

Don't like it enough to go back for a third time.

dlo 08-29-2012 01:22 AM

Woah winson, u live near red wagon?! I do too, red wagon blz meet? :D

Vansterdam 08-29-2012 06:00 AM

meat and bread is preety overrated

i love red wagon whenever they have their The Super Trucker special

fresh local wild poutine + oyster po boy so killer

need to try this peaceful place out

and falconettis is meh. way better places to eat on the drive

winson604 08-29-2012 06:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NBPTL6o4 (Post 8015606)
Woah winson, u live near red wagon?! I do too, red wagon blz meet? :D

More like blz and Churches Chicken meet next door haha. I would hit Churches over Red Wagon any day of the week. Otherwise, always still down for blz meet though.

murd0c 08-29-2012 06:51 AM

I've been to save on meats and was very impressed. I think it was like $3.50 for a great burger and fries. Portion was on the smaller side of things but for the price you can't go wrong and the quality is great.

OTG-ZR2 08-29-2012 09:14 AM

I ate at Save-On Meats, was not impressed.

Quote:

Save on meats. Had the 'Classic burger'.

Ordering a burger from a butcher you would expect to have a quality home made patty. Not the case this time. It was a processed hamburger patty. The bun and fixings's were good quality though.

6.5/10

Wheres last place you ate rate it.
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lv...bk7bo1_500.jpg

murd0c 08-29-2012 09:35 AM

What do you expect for $3.50? the quality is great and the price is even better. It's prob the best priced burger in town.

OTG-ZR2 08-29-2012 10:14 AM

I was expecting a handmade patty made with the meat from the butcher next door. Not a 20 ton pressed box-o-burger.

That was the only fault I had everything else was quite good.

Tapioca 08-29-2012 10:37 AM

I've been to Save-on-Meats once and I would say that it's pretty average.

If starving artists and coffee-drinking-trust-fund-hipsters want mediocre food and indifferent service, most Chinese restaurants can fit the bill at prices that are lower than those at Save-on-Meats and Meat and Bread. Moreover, isn't authenticity what hipsters seek?

The dive that really should be featured on this show is Bon's Off Broadway. $2.95 breakfasts, an interior that hasn't been remodeled in years, and an owner who still waits on tables.

KingDeeCee 08-29-2012 01:00 PM

^ It wouldn't fit the show. They don't have a signature dish that people regularly order. It's just a diner that servers cheap breakfast.

RayBot 08-29-2012 03:23 PM

Bons off Broadway is definitely a dive....

But yeah, not something I would care too much about unless it had a unique attraction.

However, White Palace in Chicago didn't seem to have anything signature, and by the sound of it, neither does Red Wagon.

punkwax 08-29-2012 04:52 PM

I recently ate at Meat and Bread. Happened to be in the area, saw the lineup and figured I'd check it out. Line moved rather quickly which was nice. Had the porchetta and thought it was damn tasty.. I wouldn't drive there for a sandwich but if I were hungry and in the area, I'd go back for sure.