REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Technical Discussion > Automotive Detailing & Car Care Tech

Automotive Detailing & Car Care Tech THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Discussion on how to keep your car shining bright and make them heads turn..

Old 09-08-2012, 10:20 PM   #1
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

Window cleaning

On the inside of my windows is a film that I can't seem to remove no matter what I use. I've used Windex and different kinds of aerosol window cleaners but it just doesn't seem to get the film off.

Anyone have any ideas what it might be? Any suggestions on how to remove it??

Thanks
Advertisement

Last edited by SkydiveDan; 09-09-2012 at 11:37 AM.
SkydiveDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 12:26 AM   #2
Official Texas Ambassador

Thanked 5,671 Times in 1,324 Posts
Are you a smoker?
She taught me right from wrong and always told me to stay positive and help others no matter how small the deed - that helping others gives us meaning to carry on. The sun is out today and it's a new day. Life is good. I just needed a slap in the face.
El Bastardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 11:28 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Bastardo View Post
Are you a smoker?
Ya that's what I was thinking it was... smoke caked onto the windows. I'm not a smoker but the car has 270k km on it so I'm sure someone has smoked in it at some point.
Old 09-09-2012, 11:59 AM   #4
Need to Seek Professional Help

Hey Dan! If its that bad, may have to get some Autoglym Car Glass Polish to clean them. After that, regular glass cleaner should work fine. Its available at Canadian Tire. It is an actual polish so will cut through the residue like crazy. Use a foam applicator to apply but use a small amount. It dusts a bit if you use too much. Do a small area at a time, work until it pretty much disappears ( another reason to use a small amount) and wipe with a MF towel. Your glass will "sparkle" like you've never seen. Love that stuff.
911fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-09-2012, 12:03 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 911fanatic View Post
Hey Dan! If its that bad, may have to get some Autoglym Car Glass Polish to clean them. After that, regular glass cleaner should work fine. Its available at Canadian Tire. It is an actual polish so will cut through the residue like crazy. Use a foam applicator to apply but use a small amount. It dusts a bit if you use too much. Do a small area at a time, work until it pretty much disappears ( another reason to use a small amount) and wipe with a MF towel. Your glass will "sparkle" like you've never seen. Love that stuff.
Thanks for the info Ken. I am on the way to Canadian Tire now! The problem will be getting all the way into the rear corners of that curve back glass on my MR2!
Old 09-16-2012, 09:15 PM   #6
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

@Ken

If I have a polisher and Autoglym Glass Polisher, what pad do you recommend for the job and at what speed?
Ch28Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 06:10 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch28Kid View Post
@Ken

If I have a polisher and Autoglym Glass Polisher, what pad do you recommend for the job and at what speed?
I typically use green or white at speed 3 or 4. That way the polish won't dry out too quickly. I have had a lot of success using hand applicator pads with it as well.
Old 09-17-2012, 08:26 AM   #8
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 6,695 Times in 1,625 Posts
Can you use the polisher on the outside window as well?

What are the procedures for clearing outside glass? Even after a wash my windshield is a mess, and is never quite "clear"
inv4zn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 05:20 PM   #9

Yes, you can use a polisher on your glass without worry. Running a rotary with an aggressive compound at high speed can heat the glass and cause distortion, but a DA on speed 3-4 is totally safe.
This post thanked by:
Old 09-18-2012, 10:59 AM   #10
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

Thanks Ken. Do I have to let the polishing material sit on the glass before buffing it off?

I want to Polish my parents 1998 Camry which has water spot / stain everywhere. I don't want to break the glass .
Ch28Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 05:05 PM   #11

If you are using the AG Car Glass Polish, put a bead across the pad and polish on speed 3 until the polish disappears. The left over residue will wipe away easily.
Old 11-03-2012, 11:53 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by 911fanatic View Post
Ken, I finally got around to trying the Autoglym glass polish... and it was magical! One application and the grime or whatever it was, was completely gone. Thanks for the heads up.

dan
Old 11-04-2012, 06:28 PM   #13

Anytime.
Old 11-18-2012, 12:44 AM   #14
I am Hook'd on RS

If that film on the window comes back it could be a sign that your heater core is giving up the ghost, as a bad heater core will leave a difficult to remove residue on the windscreen.
PetrolHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 11:54 PM   #15
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Thanked 1,166 Times in 111 Posts
Before you polish the glass, depending on the condition of the glass/where you park your car you might want to try some clay bar if you're doing the outside of the window before using the window polish, just to reduce the chance of marring/scratches.
dmak4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 06:10 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmak4 View Post
Before you polish the glass, depending on the condition of the glass/where you park your car you might want to try some clay bar if you're doing the outside of the window before using the window polish, just to reduce the chance of marring/scratches.
The AG Glass Polish is designed for use on glass so there is no chance of marring. Its more of a strong cleaner with a light abrasive in it. Good point, though.
Old 11-20-2012, 04:51 PM   #17
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

I recently used rain-x glass cleaner and #0000 steel wool on my windows. Worked really well at removing stubborn film. Followed up with regular rain-x on the outside and anti-fog on the inside.
Zupra is offline   Reply With Quote