REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 09-16-2012, 11:30 AM   #26
I wish I was where I was when I wished I was here

Thanked 3,098 Times in 733 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FerrariEnzo View Post
When you see someone BRAKING on the HWY, thats usually a SIGN to stay AWAY from that car! there should be no reason to be braking when theres NO NEAR EXIT, according to you picture... I dont know that area since I dont go out that way.
This.

When you're following somebody on any given road and they start braking or doing anything out of the ordinary basic driving instincts should kick in and tell you to get the fuck out of that lane.
Posted via RS Mobile
Advertisement
hchang is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-16-2012, 11:55 AM   #27
The Brown Reason

Thanked 5,863 Times in 1,525 Posts
Always make sure no one is in your blindspot and you are in no one else's blind spot. This way, if anythings gonna happen around you, you always got an escape route. This has saved me countless times. A few times (on HWY 1 As well, westbound towards van) I've encountered people in the HOV lane whose car just died all of a sudden and I had to actually speed up, close the gap between me and the stationary car, and quickly switch lanes to avoid slamming into the back of them

Anyways its a shame that someone with such excellent MS paint skills would have to endure such a situation. I hope your paint brush skills IRL are better than on ms paint because you're gonna need them to fix that bumper
BrRsn is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-16-2012, 12:24 PM   #28
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

You were driving on highway 1. HIGHWAY 1. I take it every day and people on that highway go from 80+ to a complete stop ALL THE TIME. Especially around that stretch, and especially around all that construction. Whether it be for traffic reasons, or an accident, or someone almost hitting someone else, or someone stopping in front of a goddamned cone; if you aren't ready to stop then sure he may be clueless, but you're the idiot. The guy could have wanted to stop to open his fucking doors to ghost ride the whip because his favorite hyphy song just came on. You still have to stop. Fuck I kinda wish that had happened, it would have at least made for a better story.
http://i.imgur.com/98sur.jpg - http://i.imgur.com/kL24e.jpg - http://i.imgur.com/bo5jk.jpg
Joreus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 12:25 PM   #29
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Really OP you would jeopardize your health to screw over "just another retarded bimmer driver"??? Your parents would be disappointed in you if you really did follow through. Set your ego aside and be thankful you didn't crash into the guy cause 5 years or so down the road, the affects of the collision would've started to show and you would've regretted it for the rest of your life. Take many of the RSers for example, does it look like they are happy that they got medical claim from ICBC after an accident? More than certainly not. This topic really doesn't deserve it's own thread; next time OP just vent out as much as you need to on "shitty dangerous drivers" thread and move on. I'm sure myself, and many other RSers don't feel like seeing this kind of thread anytime someone encounters a retard. Cause lets be honest, VANCOUVER IS FILLED WITH SHITTY DRIVERS especially in Richmond in case you haven't noticed.
Kidnapman is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-16-2012, 12:42 PM   #30
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,543 Times in 840 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JulyZerg View Post
It's easy to think "Oh I would've done this and that" sure you saw the Pylon/cones but if the car is going normally in front, you'd think okay I guess theirs nothing up ahead because he would have the best view of what's in front while my view is obstructed by his car and I've honestly never seen this situation happen and have never seen someone wait until the very end to change lanes when you can clearly see it was narrowing. And I never expected he would slam on the brakes and come to a full and complete stop.

I guess if you've never seen that situation before or been in it, it's hard to react.
No,

I drive down this specific stretch (Kensington to Willingdon) every week, the second you see pylons or those big bucket style ones you should be switching lanes.

No reason to be behind someone who is on the brakes on a highway.
Qmx323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 01:11 PM   #31
I STILL don't get it

Thanked 3,710 Times in 328 Posts
Thread backfire, LOL
DEADBEA7 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-16-2012, 01:19 PM   #32
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,168 Times in 7,157 Posts
Quote:

FUCK...if I had my dash cam rolling and I just rammed into the back of him when his car was FULLY STOPPED on the highway in front of the construction cones, would it still be my fault or his fault for stopping there?
How do people pass their learners exams without knowing shit like this?
westopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 02:44 PM   #33
My name is Michael. J. Caboose, and I hate BABIES!

Thanked 1,421 Times in 678 Posts
You shouldn't have been fixated on the car ahead of you. I don't drive that often and even I know that when you see cones of any sort coming into your lane (and the signs warning you to merge beforehand) that you change lanes asap. If you don't know how to drive, you sure as hell shouldn't be on the highway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by STATUS105 View Post
IF I FIND YOU
I WILL EAT YOUR RICE!
Inaii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 03:54 PM   #34
Welcome to Planet Power ///M

Thanked 2,979 Times in 527 Posts
lol noob
CharlieH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 04:29 PM   #35
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 3,782 Times in 1,242 Posts
Good thread, would read again.
Old 09-16-2012, 04:34 PM   #36
The Brown Reason

Thanked 5,863 Times in 1,525 Posts
^ raped
BrRsn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 05:20 PM   #37
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DEADBEA7 View Post
Thread backfire, LOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-16-2012, 06:14 PM   #38
MiX iT Up!

Thanked 2,066 Times in 865 Posts
my question to OP is, if you saw cones narrow [i'm sure there was also a "lane ends - merge left" sign] , why didn't you just merge right and change lanes again for the exit? Traffic authority isn't stupid to shut down a highway exit and make you exit else where.

Also OP as a tip, I advise you to re-read the "Observation" chapter on the Drivers license book. If you had read it, it would've taught you how to:

-look further than the car in front you
-when you see break lights from the car in front, to check your side and rear view mirrors quickly and change lanes if needed
- look for road signs / construction signs on the shoulder
- expect the unexpected (also known as hazzard perception which is tested during N road test and class 5 road test)

As an additional tip, there is a section in the book that talks about leaving "an emergency space" with the car in front of you so you dont have to come to a full stop right behind the guy or swerve to the right.

ps: I didn't fail OP - not worth the effort.

Sometimes we tend to be in despair when the person we love leaves us, but the truth is, it's not our loss, but theirs, for they left the only person who couldn't give up on them.

Make the effort and take the risk..

"Do what you feel in your heart to be right- for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't." - Eleanor Roosevelt
tiger_handheld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 06:31 PM   #39
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger_handheld View Post
Also OP as a tip, I advise you to re-read the "Observation" chapter on the Drivers license book. If you had read it, it would've taught you how to:

-look further than the car in front you
-when you see break lights from the car in front, to check your side and rear view mirrors quickly and change lanes if needed
- look for road signs / construction signs on the shoulder
- expect the unexpected (also known as hazzard perception which is tested during N road test and class 5 road test)
One slight problem. Most cars especially SUVs have super mysterious secret service style TINTED rear windows, which makes seeing ahead damn near impossible. Best i can do is try to angle my car a bit to the side but even then i am still losing a shit ton of visibility. God i hate those cars so bad, and I am usually patient but when i try to pass them then everyone probably thinks im an impatient ricer
HansonBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 06:32 PM   #40
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

this is to everyone on revscene and not just the op. PLEASE be AWARE of your surroundings and not just whats going on in front of you!! check your mirrors every couple seconds and if you see brake lights going off, signals going off get ready to move the fuck away no matter how far the car is! this reduces the chance of you having to brake and wasting gas and also decreases your travel time and last but not least it keeps you save...
46_valentinor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 06:34 PM   #41
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhillon09 View Post
Always make sure no one is in your blindspot and you are in no one else's blind spot. This way, if anythings gonna happen around you, you always got an escape route. This has saved me countless times. A few times (on HWY 1 As well, westbound towards van) I've encountered people in the HOV lane whose car just died all of a sudden and I had to actually speed up, close the gap between me and the stationary car, and quickly switch lanes to avoid slamming into the back of them
e-high five! Im also the type of driver who is uncomfortable sitting in someones blind spot or having someone in mine, i would rather speed for a few seconds to get ahead or pass someone than getting too comfortable with my escape routes blocked.
HansonBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-16-2012, 06:34 PM   #42
Survivor MOD

Thanked 1,623 Times in 577 Posts
T4RAWR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 06:40 PM   #43
MiX iT Up!

Thanked 2,066 Times in 865 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansonBoy View Post
One slight problem. Most cars especially SUVs have super mysterious secret service style TINTED rear windows, which makes seeing ahead damn near impossible. Best i can do is try to angle my car a bit to the side but even then i am still losing a shit ton of visibility. God i hate those cars so bad, and I am usually patient but when i try to pass them then everyone probably thinks im an impatient ricer
if on a highway - change lanes so you get a better view

if on a single lane - drop back to atleast 1.5 car lengths in front of you and drive so that your center hood ornament is somewhat closely aligned to his rear right break lights (if the road is wide enough).

also if it's raining or at night, keeping the 1.5m ahead of you, you can look under the suv for red break light reflection of car ahead of the suv. if day time, space in front is the only thing that'll help.

i'm no guru - but this is what works for me.

Sometimes we tend to be in despair when the person we love leaves us, but the truth is, it's not our loss, but theirs, for they left the only person who couldn't give up on them.

Make the effort and take the risk..

"Do what you feel in your heart to be right- for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't." - Eleanor Roosevelt
tiger_handheld is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-17-2012, 08:22 AM   #44
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,454 Times in 813 Posts
Clearly OP was staring at "Idiot drivers" rear bumper and not paying attention to the multiple signs that say:

Or the multiple cones that clearly show the lanes closing. The guys who put the cones out usually let you have atleast 500m advance notice that the lane is closed and a merge is necessary.

It's a hard lesson learned. Be a defensive driver and don't trust anybody. I'd say 95% of the drivers on the road are idiots.
[17-03, 09:23] Amuro Ray is it normal for my dick to have things growing on it?
Quote:
[15-05, 13:34] FastAnna You guise are like diet coke and I am the mentos
[15-05, 13:34] FastAnna Incredible. How easy it is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by murd0c View Post
I'm scared of spiders... When I see one I toss my cats at it
melloman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 08:46 AM   #45
Rider

Thanked 2,081 Times in 532 Posts
Quote:
So the BMW in front is quite a ways ahead and I see him brake, so I brake as well. I'm not going to mash the brake pedal for no reason and come to a complete stop cause we're on a Highway and I wasn't sure if their was someone behind me. So I brake and slowly press down on it, thinking he would either change lanes or at least see the cones/pylons in front.
:
mirrors how do they work
gdoh is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-17-2012, 12:54 PM   #46
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

OP = perfect example of shitty greater vancouver drivers who think they know what they are doing but actually don't. i bet you also honk at people who went first because they had the right of way.
TPMarko is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: