REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 09-15-2012, 09:47 PM   #1
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Idiot driver on Highway #1

I just encountered one dumb fucktard today, I was traveling Westbound on Highway #1 towards Vancouver and this silver E90 325 BMW was in front of me. This was RIGHT before Kensington Exit(By 8 rinks I believe). I was keeping a pretty far distance away since I was on the right lane and I wasn't in a rush. I definitely wasn't tail-gating or not even close to.

So the BMW in front is quite a ways ahead and I see him brake, so I brake as well. I'm not going to mash the brake pedal for no reason and come to a complete stop cause we're on a Highway and I wasn't sure if their was someone behind me. So I brake and slowly press down on it, thinking he would either change lanes or at least see the cones/pylons in front. I press on the brake harder as my car got closer and at the end, he was fully STOPPED in the middle of the highway(or right side/slow lane) and I had to press the brakes HARD and ABS kicked in, luckily I missed hitting him/her but I swerved to the right and hit one of those big pylons/cones and now theirs like 4 scratches on my right bumper, not a dent, just 4 huge scratches..FUCKING HELL

Why the fuck couldn't he see the cones from a mile away and decided it was a good idea to fully stop your car in front of the cones, like if you were driving behind, you would think he'd see the cones and start changing lanes as the cones got narrower and narrower, cause I couldn't see shit behind his car. And why the fuck would he not change lanes as the cones got narrower?

FUCK...if I had my dash cam rolling and I just rammed into the back of him when his car was FULLY STOPPED on the highway in front of the construction cones, would it still be my fault or his fault for stopping there?

Secondly, how much would it be to do a touch up job on a 2010 Toyota Camry? Right side bumper has 3 scratches on it.. or would the whole bumper need to be repainted?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bmwidiot.JPG (39.9 KB, 0 views)
Advertisement
JulyZerg is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-15-2012, 09:56 PM   #2
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Thanked 1,776 Times in 444 Posts
Why didn't you change lanes? I've seen people do stupid shit at the construction area all the time.

Edit: Also, swerve to the right? Why not to the left? Was there heavy traffic?

http://www.e38registry.org/
Mr.C is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-15-2012, 09:58 PM   #3

I needed to get off at Kensington, so I just followed, cause really, who fully stops in front of construction cones in the middle of the highway? And Bahhbeehhaaaa probably failed me cause I "shouldve" changed lanes but I didn't think some idiot would fully stop in front of a cone in the middle of the highway, never seen or happened before. That's probably why I didn't compute that a person would drive right up to the cone in the middle of the highway and stop when you're seeing that the cones were getting narrower.
Old 09-15-2012, 10:06 PM   #4
I STILL don't get it

Well, tbh you should've hit the brakes a little harder at the beginning; always better to assume that shit'll happen. If you rear ended him, and it's a good thing you didn't, it would've been fully on you.

As for the repair...if it's on the plastic bumper I'd say don't bother bringing it in to a bodyshop. 1: see if it'll wipe/buff/claybar off, more often than not some marks made by those plastic/rubber pylons and cones are just a thin layer transferred to your car (think crayon). 2: If they are scratches, see if you can use a scratch remover or polish it off. 3: If it comes down to it see how well you can hide it with a touch up pen from the dealership. As far as I know all the body shop can do for you is respray the bumper which would cost you a few hundred.
LuHua is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-15-2012, 10:12 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.C View Post
Why didn't you change lanes? I've seen people do stupid shit at the construction area all the time.

Edit: Also, swerve to the right? Why not to the left? Was there heavy traffic?
It happened pretty fast, it was at around 10pm tonight and if I swerve left and theirs a car going at 90/km+ and I hit it or he hits me, probably not good for me or the other party. So the safer route was to swerve right, when things happen so fast, it's hard to see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuHua View Post
Well, tbh you should've hit the brakes a little harder at the beginning; always better to assume that shit'll happen. If you rear ended him, and it's a good thing you didn't, it would've been fully on you.

As for the repair...if it's on the plastic bumper I'd say don't bother bringing it in to a bodyshop. 1: see if it'll wipe/buff/claybar off, more often than not some marks made by those plastic/rubber pylons and cones are just a thin layer transferred to your car (think crayon). 2: If they are scratches, see if you can use a scratch remover or polish it off. 3: If it comes down to it see how well you can hide it with a touch up pen from the dealership. As far as I know all the body shop can do for you is respray the bumper which would cost you a few hundred.
I know, lesson learned, always brake harder just in case. I really didn't think someone would just go right up to the cone when they could've saw it a mile away and fully stop in front of it before merging/changing lanes. That's what my brain wasn't aware of.

Thanks for the tip, do you have any recommendations for buff/claybar? And recommendation for a scratch remover or polisher? I'm pretty noob with this stuff
Old 09-15-2012, 10:27 PM   #6

If you guys are gonna fail me, come on and post why, love to hear it, actually lol
Old 09-15-2012, 10:30 PM   #7
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,543 Times in 840 Posts
yes.

its been said too.

change lanes because YOU know there are pylons on the left.
Qmx323 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-15-2012, 10:33 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qmx323 View Post
yes.

its been said too.

change lanes because YOU know there are pylons on the left.
It's easy to think "Oh I would've done this and that" sure you saw the Pylon/cones but if the car is going normally in front, you'd think okay I guess theirs nothing up ahead because he would have the best view of what's in front while my view is obstructed by his car and I've honestly never seen this situation happen and have never seen someone wait until the very end to change lanes when you can clearly see it was narrowing. And I never expected he would slam on the brakes and come to a full and complete stop.

I guess if you've never seen that situation before or been in it, it's hard to react.
This post FAILED by:
Old 09-15-2012, 10:37 PM   #9
asr
RS.net Licensed Vendor

Thanked 1,399 Times in 371 Posts
I hate this kind of idiot (bimmer driver).Just don't do the right thing.

If the damage area is big like your hand without dent. $150 should be done for a good polish and touch up job.
asr is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-15-2012, 10:50 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by asr View Post
I hate this kind of idiot (bimmer driver).Just don't do the right thing.

If the damage area is big like your hand without dent. $150 should be done for a good polish and touch up job.
Any recommendations for a good polish and touch up job?
This post FAILED by:
Old 09-15-2012, 10:52 PM   #11
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Thanked 1,753 Times in 353 Posts
I failed you OP and you went to Honda/Acura Thread and failed me back? You dumb Fuck! You wanna know why i failed you? I have no idea how you could possibly hit the cones when you have a great distance between you and the car in front of you. Learn to drive!
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 09-15-2012, 10:53 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bahhbeehhaaaa View Post
I failed you OP and you went to Honda/Acura Thread and failed me back? You dumb Fuck! You wanna know why i failed you? I have no idea how you could possibly hit the cones when you have a great distance between you and the car in front of you. Learn to drive!

And if you read the whole thing you would've known that the car in front stopped right in front of the LAST cone and would you rather rear end him or touch the cone? Also when the person in front of you slams on the brakes hard and traveling at over 100/kmh, your distance becomes instantly less and I didn't see why he would do that, hence I didn't slam on my brakes right away. I'm still wondering why he would do that, we're you the 325i driver? (Serious question lol)
Old 09-15-2012, 10:54 PM   #13
Returner of Lost Phones and Turtles

Thanked 3,997 Times in 963 Posts
No more damage other than 3 scratches? I remember something like running your fingernails along the scratches and if they can't be felt then it is a simple buff out.
LP700-4 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-15-2012, 11:00 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by LP700-4 View Post
No more damage other than 3 scratches? I remember something like running your fingernails along the scratches and if they can't be felt then it is a simple buff out.
Pretty much, I'll go outside in a few minutes to make sure. But it was like a love tap, I didn't run right into the pylon, just a small nudge. No dents for sure!
This post FAILED by:
Old 09-15-2012, 11:37 PM   #15
I subscribe to the Revscene NWS thread(s)

Were there any cars in the left lane that were preventing the BMW from merging left?

As much as I want to side with you here, you did just drive by about 20 cones before you reached the last one. It would be a pretty good assumption that at some point, the lane is going to end (otherwise why have the cones out there?) You probably should have used that as a warning sign that maybe something was going on up ahead and to be more careful.
syee is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-15-2012, 11:40 PM   #16
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Are u an n driver? U should learn how to drive.
Posted via RS Mobile
zx7rrrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 11:44 PM   #17
private modder

Thanked 2,652 Times in 741 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JulyZerg View Post
FUCK...if I had my dash cam rolling and I just rammed into the back of him when his car was FULLY STOPPED on the highway in front of the construction cones, would it still be my fault or his fault for stopping there?
Your fault.
Eff-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-15-2012, 11:45 PM   #18
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

Not saying that it's completely your fault that this happened, but i'm betting you were just watching his bumper and not far off into the distance as you drove westbound on #1 highway with him leading.

Having said that, just let this be a lesson learned and don't always depend on others to be able to drive as fluently as you'd expect. It's up to you to keep your self out of trouble. Always know your gaps, not only with the car in front of you but just try and keep a mental image of whats around u as well.

And yes, if you hit him even with a dash cam recording exactly how he stopped in the middle of the hwy, you're still 100% at fault just because its a rear end collision and the motor vehicle act of bc says so in any rear end collision cases.

Anyways hope this could just be a learning experiences for you and be glad that you were not involved in a collision.
mqin is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-15-2012, 11:47 PM   #19
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,657 Times in 543 Posts
If you were keeping a far distance from the car in front of you like you said and you saw him start to brake then I don't see why you wouldn't have enough time to come to a complete stop without having to swerve to avoid rear ending him... Also you know that the lane was going to close and you have to merge why didn't you prepare to merge earlier? If there were cars in the lane on your left that prevents you from merging than it would have prevented the bmw from merging as well, which is maybe why he came to a complete stop?

Anyways, the scratches on your bumper; if you can feel it with your fingers then it has to be repainted/touched up. If no matter how you rub your fingers across the scratches you can't feel a thing, then you can just claybar/polish it off

370z Build Thread
E92 328xi Build Thread
NA6 Miata (Budget) Build Thread

Current: 09 370z, 07 E92 328xi, 16 R6
Past: 09 Civic Hybrid, 93 EG Si, 94 Integra GSR, 02 WRX, 99 NB Miata, 01 E46 325ci, 90 NA Miata, 03 CBR600RR
Limitless is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-15-2012, 11:51 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by syee View Post
Were there any cars in the left lane that were preventing the BMW from merging left?

As much as I want to side with you here, you did just drive by about 20 cones before you reached the last one. It would be a pretty good assumption that at some point, the lane is going to end (otherwise why have the cones out there?) You probably should have used that as a warning sign that maybe something was going on up ahead and to be more careful.
Not too sure about any cars of the left lane. I guess it's my fault as well for putting myself in that situation for hitting the cone. I knew the cone was ending but he was still driving normally, was thinking if hes doing that and he has a full view, guess it's not gonna end since the Kensington exit was a few meters away. I was wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx7rrrr View Post
Are u an n driver? U should learn how to drive.
Posted via RS Mobile
Class 5 with like 20% of roadstar, not 40% for sure

Quote:
Originally Posted by mqin View Post
Not saying that it's completely your fault that this happened, but i'm betting you were just watching his bumper and not far off into the distance as you drove westbound on #1 highway with him leading.

Having said that, just let this be a lesson learned and don't always depend on others to be able to drive as fluently as you'd expect. It's up to you to keep your self out of trouble. Always know your gaps, not only with the car in front of you but just try and keep a mental image of whats around u as well.

And yes, if you hit him even with a dash cam recording exactly how he stopped in the middle of the hwy, you're still 100% at fault just because its a rear end collision and the motor vehicle act of bc says so in any rear end collision cases.

Anyways hope this could just be a learning experiences for you and be glad that you were not involved in a collision.
Thanks for the tip and lesson is learned, although it'll probably cost me some money for this lesson. Hope the Claybar tomorrow works since it felt like a very soft nudge. Thanks guys, guess it's my fault.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limitless View Post
If you were keeping a far distance from the car in front of you like you said and you saw him start to brake then I don't see why you wouldn't have enough time to come to a complete stop without having to swerve to avoid rear ending him... Also you know that the lane was going to close and you have to merge why didn't you prepare to merge earlier? If there were cars in the lane on your left that prevents you from merging than it would have prevented the bmw from merging as well, which is maybe why he came to a complete stop?

Anyways, the scratches on your bumper; if you can feel it with your fingers then it has to be repainted/touched up. If no matter how you rub your fingers across the scratches you can't feel a thing, then you can just claybar/polish it off
Well I saw him brake, so I started braking as well. I just didn't expect he'd come to a complete stop in the middle of the highway, thinking he was just adjusting to the speed limit or whatever, so I just pushed it slowly than harder once I saw he was actually braking hard, by than it was too late and I thought I might hit him, so I swerved right a bit, nudged the cone and the rest is history.
This post thanked by:
Old 09-15-2012, 11:53 PM   #21
My homepage has been set to RS

Yep, It's likely you had room to change lanes being 10 pm on a Saturday.

What you should have also thought when braking was, shit..If I come to a complete stop behind this idiot, what if I get rear ended?

Should have scanned ahead, said f'it, changed lanes (go slightly under speed limit in case the car ahead was braking for animals or idiots jaywalking), then proceed.

Quote:
Class 5 with like 20% of roadstar, not 40% for sure
So still new?
subordinate is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-16-2012, 12:06 AM   #22
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 2,485 Times in 1,007 Posts
When you see someone BRAKING on the HWY, thats usually a SIGN to stay AWAY from that car! there should be no reason to be braking when theres NO NEAR EXIT, according to you picture... I dont know that area since I dont go out that way.
Old 09-16-2012, 12:18 AM   #23
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Little Off Topic here, Was the BMW conv. by any chance?

I saw conv. BMW somehow managed to 360 in the middle of #1 hwy 2 cars in front of me, ended up blowing up 2 rear tires + smash the front and back.

Stopped whole traffic for a while and i couldn't do anything other than just wait for his car move out of the way.
Mkhun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 10:22 AM   #24
Ready to be Man handled by RS!

congratulations on getting your N license op! please, stay safe.

jimmyrustler is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-16-2012, 10:53 AM   #25
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulyZerg View Post
I just encountered one dumb fucktard today, I was traveling Westbound on Highway #1 towards Vancouver and this silver E90 325 BMW was in front of me. This was RIGHT before Kensington Exit(By 8 rinks I believe). I was keeping a pretty far distance away since I was on the right lane and I wasn't in a rush. I definitely wasn't tail-gating or not even close to.

So the BMW in front is quite a ways ahead and I see him brake, so I brake as well. I'm not going to mash the brake pedal for no reason and come to a complete stop cause we're on a Highway and I wasn't sure if their was someone behind me. So I brake and slowly press down on it, thinking he would either change lanes or at least see the cones/pylons in front...:
What?

You shouldn't b driving.
Posted via RS Mobile
TRDood is offline   Reply With Quote