REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness

Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Athletics, Hockey, Soccer, basketball, organize games/events, aerobics, nutritional supplements. Also the home for sports and sports entertainment threads.

Old 10-04-2012, 06:20 PM   #51
Need to Seek Professional Help

Thanked 2,237 Times in 251 Posts
thinking about going up to whistler but not sure if i can make it.

so many errands/plans scattered across my long weekend
Advertisement
ziggyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 06:55 PM   #52
:inoutugh:

Thanked 5,833 Times in 1,836 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by roastpuff View Post
What kind of monopods are you guys using? I usually do a helmet mount, but would be interested in trying to do the monopod mount, looks cool!

Also, how hard is it to balance with the monopod when going down a run?
Just using a $15 monopod from Walmart and a $5 attachment from GoPro. As a snowboarder if you are able to board without relying on using your free hands to balance yourself etc then its super easy.
But as a skier, I don't think it would work well unless you don't use poles. You can always clamp mount onto one of your poles, I've seen a couple videos like that and it looked decent.

If we meet up you're welcome to try the mount out on mine.
TOS'd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 02:07 AM   #53

Just a little over a month away from last year's Cypress opening day, and still not a drop of snow yet. I'm starting to get worried guys.. Looks like my longboarding season just got extended.
celica-g5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 07:26 PM   #54

Don't lose faith yet... lol

It's been quite an awesome fall season though. Barely any rain but I do hope snow comes early this year.

On a good note I end my last exam early this year so extra days of snowboarding.
Old 10-06-2012, 06:37 PM   #55
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

Thanked 1,930 Times in 504 Posts
I plan on making my own monopod lol, using an old ski pole or something. One of those adjustable hiking sticks would be awesome, but it's too much money. Saw a youtube video on how to make on, just smash and flatten the end and drill a hole for the GoPro mount. If that falls through, I can try to make one out of PVC lol.

Still gotta get my skis mounted, got them in April and still haven't got them done
kakucaekz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 10:42 PM   #56

Since we're on the topic of monopods for edits, I just thought I'd throw up our Mt. Baker edit again from last season to score some more views.

PLEASE WATCH IN HD 720P

celica-g5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 10:52 PM   #57

Damn you...

Okay, I gotta make it to Baker this season at least once.
TOS'd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 11:04 AM   #58

Looks like the typical Vancouver weather has finally kicked in. Weather for the next week looks gloomy.
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 10-13-2012, 06:48 AM   #59
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 2,702 Times in 1,158 Posts
but hopefully this translates to sub-zero temperature and snow!
Posted via RS Mobile
roastpuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 01:07 PM   #60
I STILL don't get it

sup fellow riders!

Any tips/opinions on whether to go to Big White or Whistler for a group of ~5-6 people?

i've never been to either mountain and I'm curious about the cost effectiveness and when the best time to go for either resort is. Although weather is out of my hands, at least I can try to mitigate it using averages and other people's experiences.

thanks a lot! stay patient people.
jello24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 04:37 PM   #61

I've been to both once or twice?????? I can't remember..

I only know the obvious points which are:
-whistler is bigger and a bit more pricey
-big white is quite the drive compared to whistler

If you're going for a trip (more than one day), christmas to new years is the most expensive for both.

I'll be going to big white 26-1 I think you should go there too LOL.
Old 10-13-2012, 09:22 PM   #62
I bringith the lowerballerith

Im so STOKED for the coming season DDDD

I need to get pants, jacket, and helmet though

Are the helmets that look like baseball helmets effective at all? what are some good quality known brands if there is?

for this season, gonna try creeping back to the terrain park after being scared longggggg time ago when i slipped out of a grind and landed my stomach on the arch rail.
geeknerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 10:48 PM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by jello24 View Post
sup fellow riders!

Any tips/opinions on whether to go to Big White or Whistler for a group of ~5-6 people?

i've never been to either mountain and I'm curious about the cost effectiveness and when the best time to go for either resort is. Although weather is out of my hands, at least I can try to mitigate it using averages and other people's experiences.

thanks a lot! stay patient people.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggyx View Post
I've been to both once or twice?????? I can't remember..

I only know the obvious points which are:
-whistler is bigger and a bit more pricey
-big white is quite the drive compared to whistler

If you're going for a trip (more than one day), christmas to new years is the most expensive for both.

I'll be going to big white 26-1 I think you should go there too LOL.
It all also depends on what kind of skiers you guys are. Are you the super hardcore shredding type, or also like to do apres-ski partying? Whistler has way more options for that - Big White or any of the interior resorts do not really have night-life per se.

Whistler has way more terrain/acres than Big White, so variety is unbeatable. Both can get bad visibility days (Big Whiteouts is the nickname for Big White) but Whistler has excellent tree-skiing areas which are still fun even in foggy situations. Learning is also good (but expensive) in Whistler - incredible instructors. Lifts are much faster in Whistler, but big line-ups can occur.

It is more expensive in Whistler, but it kind of evens out if you figure out the driving time to Big White and the cost of gas. I drove there and the Coquihalla does tire you out quite a bit because of the conditions you will face. How many cars are going? Are you comfortable driving up in winter conditions, including facing possible snowstorms? If not, stick to Whistler - the Sea to Sky is really easy nowadays, and it is a major route. The road TO Big White was the major sketchy driving portion of the route, I nearly did some Initial D during some of the hairpins it was that slippery. 45 minutes of hairpins in winter conditions is not for the faint of heart.
Quote:
Originally Posted by geeknerd View Post
Im so STOKED for the coming season DDDD

I need to get pants, jacket, and helmet though

Are the helmets that look like baseball helmets effective at all? what are some good quality known brands if there is?

for this season, gonna try creeping back to the terrain park after being scared longggggg time ago when i slipped out of a grind and landed my stomach on the arch rail.
You missed the turkey sale, huge deals on gear.

I keep an eye out on Steep and Cheap for jackets and pants and helmets and other stuff. Just bought a Bern Brentwood helmet in matte red (gotta love color-coordinating, just need red pants to match!) for $30, and if it doesn't fit I'll just return it. The baseball looking helmets are going to be fine as long as you get one from a major brand, and it has the proper foam liner. Bern, Smith, Giro, POC, RED - these are major helmet brands. I've probably missed quite a few. POC is damn expensive but considered to be the best. I like Smith and Giro, giving Bern a shot. I have a RED helmet, pretty functional IMO.

The Clymb has great deals on stuff as well, they have a sale on RED helmets right now - $35 for the RED Trace which is what I have right now.

Use my link! The Clymb | The Gear You Need. Up to 70% Below Retail.™
fml
This post thanked by:
Old 10-13-2012, 11:12 PM   #64
Rider

Thanked 2,601 Times in 272 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by roastpuff View Post
It all also depends on what kind of skiers you guys are. Are you the super hardcore shredding type, or also like to do apres-ski partying? Whistler has way more options for that - Big White or any of the interior resorts do not really have night-life per se.

Whistler has way more terrain/acres than Big White, so variety is unbeatable. Both can get bad visibility days (Big Whiteouts is the nickname for Big White) but Whistler has excellent tree-skiing areas which are still fun even in foggy situations. Learning is also good (but expensive) in Whistler - incredible instructors. Lifts are much faster in Whistler, but big line-ups can occur.

It is more expensive in Whistler, but it kind of evens out if you figure out the driving time to Big White and the cost of gas. I drove there and the Coquihalla does tire you out quite a bit because of the conditions you will face. How many cars are going? Are you comfortable driving up in winter conditions, including facing possible snowstorms? If not, stick to Whistler - the Sea to Sky is really easy nowadays, and it is a major route. The road TO Big White was the major sketchy driving portion of the route, I nearly did some Initial D during some of the hairpins it was that slippery. 45 minutes of hairpins in winter conditions is not for the faint of heart.

You missed the turkey sale, huge deals on gear.

I keep an eye out on Steep and Cheap for jackets and pants and helmets and other stuff. Just bought a Bern Brentwood helmet in matte red (gotta love color-coordinating, just need red pants to match!) for $30, and if it doesn't fit I'll just return it. The baseball looking helmets are going to be fine as long as you get one from a major brand, and it has the proper foam liner. Bern, Smith, Giro, POC, RED - these are major helmet brands. I've probably missed quite a few. POC is damn expensive but considered to be the best. I like Smith and Giro, giving Bern a shot. I have a RED helmet, pretty functional IMO.

The Clymb has great deals on stuff as well, they have a sale on RED helmets right now - $35 for the RED Trace which is what I have right now.

Use my link! The Clymb | The Gear You Need. Up to 70% Below Retail.™
Cant find those helmets on there anymore !

Last edited by rexsomnii; 10-13-2012 at 11:19 PM.
rexsomnii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 11:25 PM   #65
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,020 Times in 7,110 Posts
westopher is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-13-2012, 11:40 PM   #66
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

^ Saw that video yesterday. I've been watching movies/trailers since August; I'm so pumped for this winter since I didn't ride once last year. Gonna make up for it this year.

Also, anyone know what Mt.Baker is like? My buddy and some friends are going this December and want me to tag along (as long as exams permit).
yogenfruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 11:51 PM   #67

Do a bit of research about where to go. If you take backcountry gear it changes the experience from awesome, to super awesome. Last year there was crazy amounts of snow every time I went. Its a lot different from whistler. You have to pay a bit more attention, as not every cliff has ropes. They will rope em if they are unsafe, but if you can drop em, its fair game. Powder days are pow DAYS, not pow mornings. Bring 2 sets of goggles, because one pair will end up filled with snow at some point. I don't know the mountain like whistler, since I lived in whis for a couple years, so I can't give much advice where to go. I can say though, if its an icy shitty day, its not great, as there is no real park to play in, but, thats not usually an issue.
Old 10-14-2012, 12:08 AM   #68

Seymour
1. ziggy ill probably get a Gold card for cypress as well)
2. tosd
3. artmotion

Cypress
1. Saucywoman. Haven't been to seymour, ride greens and non steep blues. Bad accident a few years back and scared to get too much speed from something steep and bail hard again
2. Roastpuff. Haven't been to seymour, but I ski cypress and Whistler. I do blues, mostly, some blacks.

Always looking for more people to ride with. Can't wait for the new high speed quads!
artmotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 10:59 AM   #69
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by celica-g5 View Post
Since we're on the topic of monopods for edits, I just thought I'd throw up our Mt. Baker edit again from last season to score some more views.

PLEASE WATCH IN HD 720P

Mount Baker spring shredding 2011/12 - YouTube

Great video! What pole mount are you using. It looks telescopic!
!YaoShi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 11:02 AM   #70

Anyone in here ride much park?
Old 10-14-2012, 11:40 AM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
I usually like to ride park but I was on riding hiatus for a couple years and I'm definitely rusty now. Think it's time for me to get a helmet and man up though.
artmotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 12:41 PM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by !YaoShi View Post
Great video! What pole mount are you using. It looks telescopic!
We both use this + this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
I usually go through the park going for those easy jumps, but I'm never able to do those rails or anything on a downhill slant, haha.
Old 10-14-2012, 12:47 PM   #73

so stoked!

Got new arc'terix toque, pants and gloves

My boards waiting to scrape my board since May, gotta get my edges sharpened and im GOOD TO GO!

See you on cypress fuckers! Im down for RS meet!
z3german is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 01:13 PM   #74
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Thanked 1,036 Times in 276 Posts
Anyone headin up to big white with CVC in January?
kunoman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 03:51 PM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunoman1 View Post
Anyone headin up to big white with CVC in January?
Dude not much actual boarding happens at those trips. :-P
Posted via RS Mobile