REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   Apple's Schiller: iPhone 5 Scratching, Chipping Is 'Normal' (https://www.revscene.net/forums/674364-apples-schiller-iphone-5-scratching-chipping-normal.html)

MarkyMark 09-25-2012 08:30 PM

Brags about how thin phone is, proceeds to put huge ass otterbox case on it so it looks similar to a Zack Morris phone.
Posted via RS Mobile

Graeme S 09-25-2012 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jah Dean (Post 8039036)
Can't wait for Samsung to come out with a new commercial about this problem, lol.

http://img.tapatalk.com/a6f9c32d-57e9-36ce.jpg:joy:

ALEX1988 09-25-2012 08:32 PM

ya, it is definetely "normal"...when I just got my 4s, the battery drains from 100% to 20% in one night...went to pacific center apple store, and a fat guy with an ipad told me it was normal...then went to metro store, got a new phone in a couple days..:fullofwin:

StylinRed 09-25-2012 08:33 PM

My N8s housing is anodized aluminum (except for the top and bottom caps and the screen bezel which are plastic)

I've dropped that thing like crazy from many heights and onto many surfaces including concrete/gravel/etc etc

and the anodized aluminium has no knicks/scratches (i cant say the same for the plastic bezel around my screen though or the end caps)

so that only leads me to believe apple did a horribly amateur job on their aluminium (maybe its not even anodized? just painted)

for those that dont know this is what an n8 looks like

twitchyzero 09-25-2012 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Senna4ever (Post 8039371)
It's just a fucking phone - why do people care if it gets scratched or not? I personally don't care as long as the screen's not cracked or usability isn't compromised. It's just a tool, not some valuable investment.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hondaracer (Post 8039212)
its a fucking phone, it goes in your pocket

ive had my 4 for over 2 years now, i work in construction and the condition is still 7/10 wrap your shit in an otter box or stop complaining.

you might have an argument if it didn't come out of the box brand new like that.

impulseX 09-25-2012 09:19 PM

after some extended use, and possibly some accidents, or poor care, yea anyone can expect the phone to not be 100% but it shouldn't be coming brand new out of the box with scratches which is the main problem i'm hearing from people.

some people may not care because hey, it's gonna get scratched up eventually, but if it were me, i'd be on the same boat, i'd be choked that i spent close to a grand on a phone that comes scratched up out of the box, and am told that it's "normal"

should the user get a case? that's up to them. I personally don't like the cases as it makes the phone bigger, takes away from the appeal, and i just don't like the feel afterwards.

but, i guess this this is another way to milk the sheep, not only for those adapters, but with cases to protect their precious iphones too.

http://mlpfim.co.uk/milkymilky.jpg

mmmk 09-25-2012 09:58 PM

Quote:

ive had my 4 for over 2 years now, i work in construction and the condition is still 7/10 wrap your shit in an otter box or stop complaining.

People at Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum say the same thing about their watches.
Whether it's a $40k gold rollie or a $2k vintage...they say just wear it like a timex.

I have never put a case on any of my phones, not even this iphone.
But I do find it ridiculous that it's chipped already after 3 days of regular usage.
:ahwow:

mmmk 09-25-2012 09:59 PM

-repost

EmperorIS 09-25-2012 10:01 PM

Its just a phone so we are suppose to accept defects?

That dude who bought the STI for richmond subaru wasted all that energy to get a car with out a couple of swirls

Can the same logic that ITS A CAR .. ITS BOUND TO BE SCRATCHED be applied?

you fucking people

LiquidTurbo 09-25-2012 10:40 PM

:facepalm:

AzNightmare 09-25-2012 10:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by E-ternal-3 (Post 8039194)

Seems like apples vs oranges though.

Impact durability or Scratch resistant. Only pick one.
Glass will shatter on drops, but are more resistant to scratching.
Aluminum will never shatter, but scratches so easily...

With this logic though, if I was an iPhone owner, I would have chosen white.
At least the scratches wouldn't be so noticeable.

And to top it off, I never put my phone in the same pocket with anything else, especially keys.
Just asking for trouble, regardless if you have a screen protector or not.
Cause even though I use a screen protector, I hate seeing scratches on it.
My screen protector is a safety blanket for my screen, it's not a shield. There's a difference.

urrh 09-25-2012 11:04 PM

people that put their iphones in cases will grow up to be the people that wrap their couches in plastic

trollface 09-25-2012 11:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by urrh (Post 8039543)
people that put their iphones in cases will grow up to be the people that wrap their couches in plastic

Yeah... no.

nah 09-25-2012 11:10 PM

Awaiting Dangonay's response to this... :awwyeah:

Wongtouski 09-25-2012 11:33 PM

FYI We here in HK wrap that shit up like a mummy the moment we get it because we can get really good resale value from the Chinamen. I learned of this when I traded in my scratched screen/broken speakers/scratched up all over/dust invaded 3GS for $100CAD months after the 4s came out.

I agree with people here who say it's just a phone, but when the resale value is so great, its hard not to wrap that up. I see white dudes using their iPads sans covers and I cringe when they scratch that shit on the tables....

Culverin 09-26-2012 12:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by c3m (Post 8038966)
anodizing metal does chip and scratches quite easily. anodizing flashlight, keychains, guns etc.. they all chip and scruff

what people are having problem with is the chipping and scruff happens when its still new in the box, which the email didn't provide any information.

Actually, anodizing is supposed to make it stronger...

Science:

Quote:

As for scratches, and in a pocket?
I've had my Samsung Galaxy S Captivate (that's 1st gen galaxy S).
It's 2 years old.
I haven't had a case on it in 1 year.
Aside from me dropping it on the corners, and me cracking the screen, the phone is pristine.
No scratches, no scuffs on the gorilla glass screen or the painted metal backing.
And I throw my keys in to the same pocket sometimes.

I'm actually quite surprised. But I think that's durable construction done surprisingly well.

Akinari 09-26-2012 12:25 AM

I don't see an issue, given that the majority of people will be covering their iPhones up with some sort of protection anyway :pokerface:

The moment I got my 4S I already had my Spigen bumper, rear leather skin guard and front screen protector ready to go.

asian_XL 09-26-2012 12:38 AM

phones are durable nowaday, case is only for women. Why spend money to make your phone thicker and put on protective screen when it has gorilla glass. I had my iphone 4 for 2 years and not a single scratch on the metal part, only small nick on the screen I can barely see.

SupraTTturbo2jz 09-26-2012 01:10 AM

so uh...whats so good about this new iphone 5? bought the very first generation and it was shit. Apple fanboys always say iphones beat every phone out there, but how?

Iceman-19 09-26-2012 04:44 AM

I'll be getting a Samsung when I get a new phone.
Posted via RS Mobile

Mr.Money 09-26-2012 04:53 AM

Scratched IPhone 5 fresh in the Box?..

Too many marks On my Phone :okay: Buy Iphone 6 next year on release day.

Culverin 09-26-2012 07:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SupraTTturbo2jz (Post 8039615)
so uh...whats so good about this new iphone 5? bought the very first generation and it was shit. Apple fanboys always say iphones beat every phone out there, but how?

- I think their customer service is good.
- There's lots of apps for it.
- Because it is a closed environment and you can't really swap stuff, you can't break things either.
- Since lots of "dads" and execs at an office (read: old people) have iphones, it will probably be one of the few smartphones your company will support.

GUI used to be one of their top features.
Android was a bit clunky and sluggish, but from what I've seen, the Android GUI has caught up to and now far surpassed the iphone.

Hondaracer 09-26-2012 09:15 AM

Do you guys who are so concerned with scratches etc pull your phone out and show people how good condition it's in? Are you that self concious you wouldn't be caught dead holding a scratched phone to your ear?

I know it's one thing to get a scratched phone out of the box but people who put their phones in purses and pockets packet with keys etc have no argument.
Posted via RS Mobile

GGnoRE 09-26-2012 09:22 AM

You guys should be happy apple isn't charging you for those extra stylish scratches :fuckthatshit:

inv4zn 09-26-2012 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hondaracer (Post 8039783)
Do you guys who are so concerned with scratches etc pull your phone out and show people how good condition it's in? Are you that self concious you wouldn't be caught dead holding a scratched phone to your ear?

I know it's one thing to get a scratched phone out of the box but people who put their phones in purses and pockets packet with keys etc have no argument.
Posted via RS Mobile

If I buy something from a reputable (questionable) company, that is costing me more than chump change, and that is supposed to be used for a certain length of time, there are certain things I expect from it.

Scratches out of the box are not one of them. When you buy something new, you want it to look new, regardless of what it is and how it's going to be used.

You also want it to exhibit some sort of durability, so you know you can handle it a certain way, without degrading its aesthetics/functionality. Regular wear/tear is fine. Chips and scratches after a month of regular use, probably isn't.

With the white iphone 4/4S yellowing issues, would you say the same argument? That it's someone being "self-conscious" that they wouldn't want a discoloured phone?

And this entire issue is more about Apple's arrogance, ie. "You're doing it wrong" rather than admitting they've made a mistake and making sure the end-user doesn't have a negative experience with a company. It's just like iOS6 and the whole debacle around that.