REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   Apple's Schiller: iPhone 5 Scratching, Chipping Is 'Normal' (https://www.revscene.net/forums/674364-apples-schiller-iphone-5-scratching-chipping-normal.html)

Culverin 09-25-2012 12:47 PM

Apple's Schiller: iPhone 5 Scratching, Chipping Is 'Normal'

Quote:

Are you noticing scratches, dings, and chips on your new iPhone 5? Don't worry, according to Apple's senior vice president of marketing Phil Schiller, that's "normal."

The Apple-centric blog 9to5Mac.com reported that an iPhone 5 owner named Alex sent an email to Schiller yesterday noting that he loved his new iPhone 5, but has "been seeing some scuffs, scratches and marks throughout the band around the phone." The user asked what he should do about the problem and if Apple had any plans to fix it.

In a terse reply reminiscent of late Apple co-founder Steve Jobs' email interactions with customers, Schiller said, "Any aluminum product may scratch or chip with use, exposing its natural silver color. This is normal."
Apple's Schiller: iPhone 5 Scratching, Chipping Is 'Normal' | News & Opinion | PCMag.com

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-gfROz_0qZt...much%2Bwin.jpg

Remember this from the iPhone 4?
"It's not the phone and it's how you're holding it".

Maybe it applies again to the 5.

:joy: :fuckthatshit: :rofl: :haha:

c3m 09-25-2012 01:02 PM

anodizing metal does chip and scratches quite easily. anodizing flashlight, keychains, guns etc.. they all chip and scruff

what people are having problem with is the chipping and scruff happens when its still new in the box, which the email didn't provide any information.

GLOW 09-25-2012 01:39 PM

they better start buying the new iphone case then...which apple will gladly supply at a cost :)

wstce92 09-25-2012 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by c3m (Post 8038966)
anodizing metal does chip and scratches quite easily. anodizing flashlight, keychains, guns etc.. they all chip and scruff

what people are having problem with is the chipping and scruff happens when its still new in the box, which the email didn't provide any information.

I'd actually have a problem with the chipping and scruffing once out of the box too. This is a $800+ phone, not a $20 dollar flashlight, cheap-ass keychain, or a gun that's meant to be abused (i mean guns fucking fire shit out it's barrel).

I can't think of any other phone that would scratch, chip, and scruff from just holding it; even if you wear multiple rings.

They made a poor decision on the construction of the phone, and they've basically give buyers a fuck you response. "You'd buy it anyways, we don't give two shits if it looks like ass after a week".

MarkyMark 09-25-2012 01:46 PM

Yeah they had to have known about this problem before they shipped it out. Poor choice of build materials and that's unfortunate since the 4S was actually a pretty durable phone.
Posted via RS Mobile

Harvey Specter 09-25-2012 02:03 PM

Can't wait for Samsung to come out with a new commercial about this problem, lol.

smoothie. 09-25-2012 02:08 PM

The replacement one they offered me out of box had 3 nicks compared to the 1 on my phone.

Going to go back next week sometime for a phone.

c3m 09-25-2012 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wstce92 (Post 8039003)
I'd actually have a problem with the chipping and scruffing once out of the box too. This is a $800+ phone, not a $20 dollar flashlight, cheap-ass keychain, or a gun that's meant to be abused (i mean guns fucking fire shit out it's barrel).

I can't think of any other phone that would scratch, chip, and scruff from just holding it; even if you wear multiple rings.

They made a poor decision on the construction of the phone, and they've basically give buyers a fuck you response. "You'd buy it anyways, we don't give two shits if it looks like ass after a week".

I totally agree with what you said. My point was that all anodizing works the same but I, for some reason, suspect Apple isn't sealing the anodizing enough to withstand the everyday wear.
My bike frame is anodized and I don't baby it at all. It has gone through all kinds of weather and dirt yet I didn't see any scratches or scruff until a few months after constant abuse and cleaning.

LiquidTurbo 09-25-2012 02:17 PM

Of course aluminum is prone to wear. What the hell did people expect?
Posted via RS Mobile

bballguy 09-25-2012 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LiquidTurbo (Post 8039049)
Posted via RS Mobile

Expect? Majority of people who buy iphone's don't expect anything....they let apple do the expecting for them...

MarkyMark 09-25-2012 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LiquidTurbo (Post 8039049)
Posted via RS Mobile

Well some better judgement on Apples behalf is what I would expect. Not too keen on spending 800 bucks on a phone that either already comes scratched brand new or scratches super easy doing day to day tasks with it.
Posted via RS Mobile

mmmk 09-25-2012 02:58 PM

I've had my iphone 5 for a few days now and I notice it chipping already.
I havent put it in my pockets with keys and I haven't dropped it. Just normal wear and tear (3 days worth of wear and tear).

But LTE is great :okay:

AW607 09-25-2012 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MarkyMark (Post 8039069)
Well some better judgement on Apples behalf is what I would expect. Not too keen on spending 800 bucks on a phone that either already comes scratched brand new or scratches super easy doing day to day tasks with it.
Posted via RS Mobile

Or maybe they're making iPhones like how some clothing companies make jeans.. Holes, fading or tears appearing over time and it's normal :troll:
Posted via RS Mobile

murd0c 09-25-2012 03:02 PM

Whole reason why I got the white and a case right away. Still is in mint condition :troll:

MarkyMark 09-25-2012 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by murd0c (Post 8039106)
Whole reason why I got the white and a case right away. Still is in mint condition :troll:

You have to be careful with cases too because over time dirt or sand get in between the case and phone, rubbing the surface off areas of the phone. Happened with my 3GS, happened to tons of people who had the bumper on their iPhone 4 with the antenna getting scratched. So maybe take it out and wipe it down every so often.
Posted via RS Mobile

Mr.HappySilp 09-25-2012 03:36 PM

I guess that's a good thing for me since I am still using my iphone4.......

TheKingdom2000 09-25-2012 04:37 PM

I always wonder how companies who have nearly an infinite amount of R&D can't expect these sorts of things.

I think they need to run their products through IKEA's durability testing before they launched it. That poang chair demo always craps me up. But, I guess that chair will withstand a lot.

ToneCapone 09-25-2012 04:48 PM

:okay:

HondaGuy 09-25-2012 05:00 PM

Ouch watching that video with all the scratching hurts the ear lol...

Just cause apple says its normal doesnt mean I want my new phone to be scratched... And although seeking a case is better, there could be some scratches along the way before or after the case.

Got my iphone 4s in april this year, since my 3g was too old... Dont think I will get 5s when it comes out... Kinda wanting to try something else in future.
Posted via RS Mobile

Vale46Rossi 09-25-2012 05:13 PM

I have been using it for a few days now, no scratches out of the box and I pocket it in a pocket WITHOUT coins or keys.

No problems.

Hondaracer 09-25-2012 05:23 PM

its a fucking phone, it goes in your pocket

ive had my 4 for over 2 years now, i work in construction and the condition is still 7/10 wrap your shit in an otter box or stop complaining.

Ludepower 09-25-2012 06:19 PM

All cell phones should have a case and screen protector.
Take a look at these brand name cases for your cellphones Otter Box, Lifeproof, Incipio, etc...

ToneCapone 09-25-2012 08:01 PM

not the most scientific video but pretty cool nevertheless

Senna4ever 09-25-2012 08:16 PM

It's just a fucking phone - why do people care if it gets scratched or not? I personally don't care as long as the screen's not cracked or usability isn't compromised. It's just a tool, not some valuable investment.

RRxtar 09-25-2012 08:23 PM

Instead of paying $30-$50 for a bulky case, Id rather pay $50 more for the phone that is a little tougher. I hate cases. Why bother spending the time to build an aesthetic phone that everyone hides in a case too