REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   Danone Yogurt Customers - You are entitled to min. $15 cash back (https://www.revscene.net/forums/674411-danone-yogurt-customers-you-entitled-min-%2415-cash-back.html)

TheKingdom2000 09-26-2012 02:49 PM

Danone Yogurt Customers - You are entitled to min. $15 cash back

"Anyone who declares that they purchased either Activia yogurt or DanActive probiotic yogurt drink after April 1, 2009 is eligible for $15 in compensation. Yet even better, anyone who can actually prove they purchased the yogurt with a receipt will be eligible for between $15 and $50, depending on how much yogurt was purchased. Claims are to be filed through the website www.collectiva.ca"

Link to claim form
http://www.collectiva.ca/en/dossiers.../Claimform.pdf

You get $15 min. Even if you don't have a receipt.
If you have a receipt that can show you spent more than $15, you will get whatever the value is up to $50.

"A Montreal woman initiated the lawsuit against Danone Inc. in 2009 contesting claims that its Activia, Activia Light yogurt and DanActive probiotic yogurt drink could strengthen the body's defences or regulate digestion because of bacteria they contain."
- So I guess she is claiming that these products do not actually strengthen the bodies immune system.

InvisibleSoul 09-26-2012 03:10 PM

Quote:

You are entitled to submit only one claim for all your purchases of ActiviaŽ yogurt
products or DanActiveŽ probiotic drink product in Canada between April 1, 2009
and November 6, 2012.
You can even buy $50 worth of yogurt now, and get $50 back from the settlement.

Free yogurt for everyone!

Matlock 09-26-2012 03:11 PM

I don't agree nor do I disagree with reasoning behind the lawsuit, there forth I shall not participate in this claim.

Too many people file lawsuits for stupid things.

snails 09-26-2012 03:24 PM

is this America? just jumping on the lawsuit train! :ahwow:

i do find it entertaining that they just offer money back tho :badpokerface:

BaoTurbo 09-26-2012 03:27 PM

Really so from now until Nov 6 we can get $50 for free plus yogurt that doesn't strengthen our immune systems but its still free yogurt?

Gumby 09-26-2012 03:53 PM

This sounds too good to be true... Free money?!

TheKingdom2000 09-26-2012 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matlock (Post 8040032)
I don't agree nor do I disagree with reasoning behind the lawsuit, there forth I shall not participate in this claim.

I don't think this is a stupid lawsuit though.
If the product doesn't actually do what it claims to do. Then it shouldn't advertise itself as such.

It's not only unfair to the consumer, but to other companies who sell similar products. I know for a fact that people have bought Danone yogurt over other yogurts solely because they believed that eating Danone yogurt would increase their immune system. Paying the premium of buying Danone as well.

If Danone didn't claim they could increase people's immune systems, then these said people may have bought another/cheaper yogurt brand.

I also understand that you can't read too much into advertising, but companies need to realize that they can't just say or do whatever they want. Without lawsuits like these, the consumers would be taken for a ride by these big companies all the time.

Matlock 09-26-2012 06:00 PM

I just had a flashback of seeing this stuff in the supermarket long ago.
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-owZnQemiQN.../danactive.jpg
Also found this article:
Weighty Matters: What a World Without Ridiculous Front of Package Health Claims Would Look Like

The stuff reminded me of the much cheaper Asian mini yogurt drinks sold at T&T.

parm104 09-26-2012 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by snails (Post 8040043)
is this America? just jumping on the lawsuit train! :ahwow:

i do find it entertaining that they just offer money back tho :badpokerface:

Offerring money back is a smart decision on their part. They will keep a systemic record of everyone who has been given money back as a result of this program. In the long run, this ends up being a much cheaper route for them. If you accept a money back offer, you've accepted to be whole again and can no longer sue them for breach of commerce laws. In a way, they are quietly and smartly getting people to settle a possible claim before it's even started.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matlock (Post 8040032)

I think people really need to look into these so-called frivolous lawsuits and read the actual claims and histories of the claims. The facts, issue and rules pertaining to the law and how it actually affects these clients, if at all. After you've done that, then make a logical opinion as to whether you think the lawsuit is ridiculous or not. In this particular case, companies cannot go about claiming things AND advertising them falsely. There are consequences to misleading the public and especially misleading the public into buying your products or services. Having the ability to sue in situations like this help regulate the markets to ensure that companies do not make frivolous promises.

People often mention the "McDonald's Hot Coffee" incident when they talk about frivolous lawsuits but many people also fail to understand the actual issues that were brought forth in that suit. It wasn't that the coffee had no warning labels on it and thus the lady spilt it on herself and got burnt. What had happened in the original McDonalds coffee spill case was that McDonalds was purposely and knowingly making their coffee extra hot. They did this because they offered free refills and so instead of taking away a rather popular promotion, they figured people would take longer to drink their coffee and thus have less refills to fill. Absolutely that is negligent behaviour to make a product dangerous so that you can maximize your profits....

Graeme S 09-26-2012 06:04 PM

And it's actually kind of unfortunate that some food that DOES do what it claims to can't be sold as such.

Does anyone remember a year or so ago that Cheerio's ads used to say "Clinically proven to help reduce the bad kind of cholesterol when taken with diet an exercise"? Now they say "Help with cholesterol."

This is apparently because the American FDA said "If you want to use the words 'clinically proven' with your cereal, you'll have to be treated like a drug".

Kind of shitty and stupid, when you think about it.

parm104 09-26-2012 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Graeme S (Post 8040187)
And it's actually kind of unfortunate that some food that DOES do what it claims to can't be sold as such.

Does anyone remember a year or so ago that Cheerio's ads used to say "Clinically proven to help reduce the bad kind of cholesterol when taken with diet an exercise"? Now they say "Help with cholesterol."

This is apparently because the American FDA said "If you want to use the words 'clinically proven' with your cereal, you'll have to be treated like a drug".

Kind of shitty and stupid, when you think about it.

Reminds me of what happened to Rogers when they kept claiming to be "Canada's Most Reliable Network." But they had no proof or way of quantifying they were the most reliable, they simply were self-proclaimed. Now they're just Canada's Reliable Network.

TheKingdom2000 09-26-2012 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by parm104 (Post 8040195)
Same thing happened to Rogers when they kept claiming to be "Canada's Most Reliable Network." They had no proof or way of quantifying they were the most reliable, they simply were self-proclaimed. Now they're just Canada's Reliable Network.

This isn't the same thing though...
It is proven that having adequate fiber intake (ie. eating cheerio's) lowers cholesterol. This is fact.

Rogers statement is merely a claim.

Graeme S 09-26-2012 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by parm104 (Post 8040195)
Same thing happened to Rogers when they kept claiming to be "Canada's Most Reliable Network." They had no proof or way of quantifying they were the most reliable, they simply were self-proclaimed. Now they're just Canada's Reliable Network.

Except it actually has been proven that you can reduce cholesterol with a diet that's high in certain grains--which Cheerio's are.

When it comes to "reliability" though, what metric do you use? Best reception with low bars? Best reception farther from towers? Fewest dropped calls? Clearest quality?

"Reliable" is a very generic metric when it comes to services that have so many sides to them. There's a difference between saying "this has been clinically proven to make you more healthy" and being not allowed to say that and "We're the most reliable!", because there was no specific metric mentioned.

parm104 09-26-2012 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Graeme S (Post 8040212)
Except it actually has been proven that you can reduce cholesterol with a diet that's high in certain grains--which Cheerio's are.

When it comes to "reliability" though, what metric do you use? Best reception with low bars? Best reception farther from towers? Fewest dropped calls? Clearest quality?

"Reliable" is a very generic metric when it comes to services that have so many sides to them. There's a difference between saying "this has been clinically proven to make you more healthy" and being not allowed to say that and "We're the most reliable!", because there was no specific metric mentioned.

True, the Cheerio's claim isn't anything like this one. I didn't read the Cheerio's case and I hadn't heard of it before.

But, as for the Roger's situation, you can't make frivolous claims without some sort of a test. Roger's admittedly did not do any tests, they simply made their claims. Whether you can prove it or not is irrelevant...If you can't prove you're the most reliable, then you certainly can claim that status either.

JesseBlue 09-27-2012 04:15 PM

i still have one in my fridge...got it with a free product coupon..:considered::troll:

Vale46Rossi 09-27-2012 04:20 PM

WOOHOO

Free $15

LOL.

tiger_handheld 09-27-2012 07:53 PM

activia is the only yogurt I eat, but I dont keep any receipts. The pdf says "proof of purchase is required"

how are you guys saying it's free $15?

Phozy 09-27-2012 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tiger_handheld (Post 8041175)
activia is the only yogurt I eat, but I dont keep any receipts. The pdf says "proof of purchase is required"

how are you guys saying it's free $15?

Quote:

Class Members who sign and solemnly declare that they have
purchased either ActiviaŽ or DanActiveŽ products in Canada between
April 1, 2009 and November 6, 2012: $ 15;
Get $15 anyway, + more if you have proof of purchase, up to a $50 maximum

MG1 09-27-2012 08:47 PM

OCD, I am..... wife makes fun of me. Now who's laughing? I never throw a receipt away. I have receipts for everything dating back 35 plus years, LOL.
All filed away. I can't wait to tell the wife how it pays to keep receipts. I can prove to people how much milk cost 35 years ago, or how much gas cost, etc.

BTW, I hate those thermal receipts that fade over time. Worst invention evar!!!

parm104 09-28-2012 01:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MG1 (Post 8041228)
OCD, I am..... wife makes fun of me. Now who's laughing? I never throw a receipt away. I have receipts for everything dating back 35 plus years, LOL.
All filed away. I can't wait to tell the wife how it pays to keep receipts. I can prove to people how much milk cost 35 years ago, or how much gas cost, etc.

You might want to look into getting a NEAT machine. I picked one up years ago because I took keep everything and EVERYTHING! I used to organize my receipts in zip lock bags according to date and then I started putting them in folders according to category.

NeatReceipts - Receipt Scanner, Mobile Scanner, Portable Scanner

It's a portable desktop scanner that allows you to scan receipts and it automatically files it on your computer according to date, time, category, business, location, anything! It works well. For example, if you shop at Costco a lot, after a year of scanning and you need to find a product. You can type the name of the product and it will show you all the receipts that have that same product on it.

I bought the refurbished unit for only $99.99.

TheKingdom2000 09-28-2012 05:45 AM

For insurance purposes, are photocopies/scans acceptable though?

InvisibleSoul 09-28-2012 08:16 AM

Quote:

Wow... it's something I would like to do, but I don't think I would have the commitment to see it through.

heleu 09-28-2012 09:11 AM

Quote:

Isn't all the indexed information tracked by stats can? That's how they calculate the consumer price index. I can see keeping receipts for 5 years (warrantee, etc.), but what else do you do with it?

Teriyaki 09-28-2012 11:05 AM

So what happens when someone does the research in the future (there are already existing studies), that proves probiotic yogurt actually helps to improve the immune system?

akalic 09-28-2012 11:45 AM

won't be by Nov lawl
Posted via RS Mobile