REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 09-26-2012, 02:49 PM   #1
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 2,259 Times in 439 Posts
Danone Yogurt Customers - You are entitled to min. $15 cash back

"Anyone who declares that they purchased either Activia yogurt or DanActive probiotic yogurt drink after April 1, 2009 is eligible for $15 in compensation. Yet even better, anyone who can actually prove they purchased the yogurt with a receipt will be eligible for between $15 and $50, depending on how much yogurt was purchased. Claims are to be filed through the website www.collectiva.ca"

Link to claim form
http://www.collectiva.ca/en/dossiers.../Claimform.pdf

You get $15 min. Even if you don't have a receipt.
If you have a receipt that can show you spent more than $15, you will get whatever the value is up to $50.

"A Montreal woman initiated the lawsuit against Danone Inc. in 2009 contesting claims that its Activia, Activia Light yogurt and DanActive probiotic yogurt drink could strengthen the body's defences or regulate digestion because of bacteria they contain."
- So I guess she is claiming that these products do not actually strengthen the bodies immune system.
Advertisement
TheKingdom2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 03:10 PM   #2
The RS Freebie guru

Thanked 2,491 Times in 860 Posts
Quote:
You are entitled to submit only one claim for all your purchases of ActiviaŽ yogurt
products or DanActiveŽ probiotic drink product in Canada between April 1, 2009
and November 6, 2012.
You can even buy $50 worth of yogurt now, and get $50 back from the settlement.

Free yogurt for everyone!
InvisibleSoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 03:11 PM   #3
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,079 Times in 368 Posts
I don't agree nor do I disagree with reasoning behind the lawsuit, there forth I shall not participate in this claim.

Too many people file lawsuits for stupid things.
Old 09-26-2012, 03:24 PM   #4
Zionism gets my shell hard and slimy

Thanked 6,021 Times in 1,129 Posts
is this America? just jumping on the lawsuit train!

i do find it entertaining that they just offer money back tho
snails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 03:27 PM   #5
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Really so from now until Nov 6 we can get $50 for free plus yogurt that doesn't strengthen our immune systems but its still free yogurt?
BaoTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 03:53 PM   #6
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,064 Times in 1,183 Posts
This sounds too good to be true... Free money?!
Honest to fucking Christ the easiest way to get a married woman in the mood is clean the house and do the laundry.....I've been with the same girl almost 17 years, ask me how I know. - quasi
Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 04:21 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matlock View Post
I don't agree nor do I disagree with reasoning behind the lawsuit, there forth I shall not participate in this claim.

I don't think this is a stupid lawsuit though.
If the product doesn't actually do what it claims to do. Then it shouldn't advertise itself as such.

It's not only unfair to the consumer, but to other companies who sell similar products. I know for a fact that people have bought Danone yogurt over other yogurts solely because they believed that eating Danone yogurt would increase their immune system. Paying the premium of buying Danone as well.

If Danone didn't claim they could increase people's immune systems, then these said people may have bought another/cheaper yogurt brand.

I also understand that you can't read too much into advertising, but companies need to realize that they can't just say or do whatever they want. Without lawsuits like these, the consumers would be taken for a ride by these big companies all the time.
Old 09-26-2012, 06:00 PM   #8

Thanked 1,079 Times in 368 Posts
I just had a flashback of seeing this stuff in the supermarket long ago.

Also found this article:
Weighty Matters: What a World Without Ridiculous Front of Package Health Claims Would Look Like

The stuff reminded me of the much cheaper Asian mini yogurt drinks sold at T&T.
Old 09-26-2012, 06:04 PM   #9

Thanked 2,621 Times in 684 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by snails View Post
is this America? just jumping on the lawsuit train!

i do find it entertaining that they just offer money back tho
Offerring money back is a smart decision on their part. They will keep a systemic record of everyone who has been given money back as a result of this program. In the long run, this ends up being a much cheaper route for them. If you accept a money back offer, you've accepted to be whole again and can no longer sue them for breach of commerce laws. In a way, they are quietly and smartly getting people to settle a possible claim before it's even started.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matlock View Post

I think people really need to look into these so-called frivolous lawsuits and read the actual claims and histories of the claims. The facts, issue and rules pertaining to the law and how it actually affects these clients, if at all. After you've done that, then make a logical opinion as to whether you think the lawsuit is ridiculous or not. In this particular case, companies cannot go about claiming things AND advertising them falsely. There are consequences to misleading the public and especially misleading the public into buying your products or services. Having the ability to sue in situations like this help regulate the markets to ensure that companies do not make frivolous promises.

People often mention the "McDonald's Hot Coffee" incident when they talk about frivolous lawsuits but many people also fail to understand the actual issues that were brought forth in that suit. It wasn't that the coffee had no warning labels on it and thus the lady spilt it on herself and got burnt. What had happened in the original McDonalds coffee spill case was that McDonalds was purposely and knowingly making their coffee extra hot. They did this because they offered free refills and so instead of taking away a rather popular promotion, they figured people would take longer to drink their coffee and thus have less refills to fill. Absolutely that is negligent behaviour to make a product dangerous so that you can maximize your profits....
Old 09-26-2012, 06:04 PM   #10
The Lone Wanderator

Thanked 4,367 Times in 1,137 Posts
And it's actually kind of unfortunate that some food that DOES do what it claims to can't be sold as such.

Does anyone remember a year or so ago that Cheerio's ads used to say "Clinically proven to help reduce the bad kind of cholesterol when taken with diet an exercise"? Now they say "Help with cholesterol."

This is apparently because the American FDA said "If you want to use the words 'clinically proven' with your cereal, you'll have to be treated like a drug".

Kind of shitty and stupid, when you think about it.
Graeme S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 06:08 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graeme S View Post
And it's actually kind of unfortunate that some food that DOES do what it claims to can't be sold as such.

Does anyone remember a year or so ago that Cheerio's ads used to say "Clinically proven to help reduce the bad kind of cholesterol when taken with diet an exercise"? Now they say "Help with cholesterol."

This is apparently because the American FDA said "If you want to use the words 'clinically proven' with your cereal, you'll have to be treated like a drug".

Kind of shitty and stupid, when you think about it.
Reminds me of what happened to Rogers when they kept claiming to be "Canada's Most Reliable Network." But they had no proof or way of quantifying they were the most reliable, they simply were self-proclaimed. Now they're just Canada's Reliable Network.

Last edited by parm104; 09-26-2012 at 09:04 PM.
parm104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 06:14 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by parm104 View Post
Same thing happened to Rogers when they kept claiming to be "Canada's Most Reliable Network." They had no proof or way of quantifying they were the most reliable, they simply were self-proclaimed. Now they're just Canada's Reliable Network.
This isn't the same thing though...
It is proven that having adequate fiber intake (ie. eating cheerio's) lowers cholesterol. This is fact.

Rogers statement is merely a claim.
This post thanked by:
Old 09-26-2012, 06:16 PM   #13
The Lone Wanderator

Thanked 4,367 Times in 1,137 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by parm104 View Post
Same thing happened to Rogers when they kept claiming to be "Canada's Most Reliable Network." They had no proof or way of quantifying they were the most reliable, they simply were self-proclaimed. Now they're just Canada's Reliable Network.
Except it actually has been proven that you can reduce cholesterol with a diet that's high in certain grains--which Cheerio's are.

When it comes to "reliability" though, what metric do you use? Best reception with low bars? Best reception farther from towers? Fewest dropped calls? Clearest quality?

"Reliable" is a very generic metric when it comes to services that have so many sides to them. There's a difference between saying "this has been clinically proven to make you more healthy" and being not allowed to say that and "We're the most reliable!", because there was no specific metric mentioned.
Graeme S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 09:03 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graeme S View Post
Except it actually has been proven that you can reduce cholesterol with a diet that's high in certain grains--which Cheerio's are.

When it comes to "reliability" though, what metric do you use? Best reception with low bars? Best reception farther from towers? Fewest dropped calls? Clearest quality?

"Reliable" is a very generic metric when it comes to services that have so many sides to them. There's a difference between saying "this has been clinically proven to make you more healthy" and being not allowed to say that and "We're the most reliable!", because there was no specific metric mentioned.
True, the Cheerio's claim isn't anything like this one. I didn't read the Cheerio's case and I hadn't heard of it before.

But, as for the Roger's situation, you can't make frivolous claims without some sort of a test. Roger's admittedly did not do any tests, they simply made their claims. Whether you can prove it or not is irrelevant...If you can't prove you're the most reliable, then you certainly can claim that status either.
Old 09-27-2012, 04:15 PM   #15

i still have one in my fridge...got it with a free product coupon..
Old 09-27-2012, 04:20 PM   #16
I want to be a person and not an icon.

Thanked 5,286 Times in 892 Posts
WOOHOO

Free $15

LOL.
Vale46Rossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 07:53 PM   #17
MiX iT Up!

Thanked 2,066 Times in 865 Posts
activia is the only yogurt I eat, but I dont keep any receipts. The pdf says "proof of purchase is required"

how are you guys saying it's free $15?

Sometimes we tend to be in despair when the person we love leaves us, but the truth is, it's not our loss, but theirs, for they left the only person who couldn't give up on them.

Make the effort and take the risk..

"Do what you feel in your heart to be right- for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't." - Eleanor Roosevelt
tiger_handheld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 07:58 PM   #18
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger_handheld View Post
activia is the only yogurt I eat, but I dont keep any receipts. The pdf says "proof of purchase is required"

how are you guys saying it's free $15?
Quote:
Class Members who sign and solemnly declare that they have
purchased either ActiviaŽ or DanActiveŽ products in Canada between
April 1, 2009 and November 6, 2012: $ 15;
Get $15 anyway, + more if you have proof of purchase, up to a $50 maximum
Phozy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-27-2012, 08:47 PM   #19
MG1
Fathered more RS members than anybody else. Who's your daddy?

Thanked 11,514 Times in 4,905 Posts
OCD, I am..... wife makes fun of me. Now who's laughing? I never throw a receipt away. I have receipts for everything dating back 35 plus years, LOL.
All filed away. I can't wait to tell the wife how it pays to keep receipts. I can prove to people how much milk cost 35 years ago, or how much gas cost, etc.

BTW, I hate those thermal receipts that fade over time. Worst invention evar!!!
Youth is, indeed, wasted on the young.
YODO = You Only Die Once.

Dirty look from MG1 can melt steel beams.

"There must be dissonance before resolution - MG1" a musical reference.
MG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-28-2012, 01:43 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG1 View Post
OCD, I am..... wife makes fun of me. Now who's laughing? I never throw a receipt away. I have receipts for everything dating back 35 plus years, LOL.
All filed away. I can't wait to tell the wife how it pays to keep receipts. I can prove to people how much milk cost 35 years ago, or how much gas cost, etc.

You might want to look into getting a NEAT machine. I picked one up years ago because I took keep everything and EVERYTHING! I used to organize my receipts in zip lock bags according to date and then I started putting them in folders according to category.

NeatReceipts - Receipt Scanner, Mobile Scanner, Portable Scanner

It's a portable desktop scanner that allows you to scan receipts and it automatically files it on your computer according to date, time, category, business, location, anything! It works well. For example, if you shop at Costco a lot, after a year of scanning and you need to find a product. You can type the name of the product and it will show you all the receipts that have that same product on it.

I bought the refurbished unit for only $99.99.
Old 09-28-2012, 05:45 AM   #21

For insurance purposes, are photocopies/scans acceptable though?
Old 09-28-2012, 08:16 AM   #22
The RS Freebie guru

Thanked 2,491 Times in 860 Posts
Quote:

Wow... it's something I would like to do, but I don't think I would have the commitment to see it through.
InvisibleSoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 09:11 AM   #23
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Quote:

Isn't all the indexed information tracked by stats can? That's how they calculate the consumer price index. I can see keeping receipts for 5 years (warrantee, etc.), but what else do you do with it?
heleu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 11:05 AM   #24

Thanked 1,402 Times in 552 Posts
So what happens when someone does the research in the future (there are already existing studies), that proves probiotic yogurt actually helps to improve the immune system?
Teriyaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 11:45 AM   #25
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Thanked 2,284 Times in 186 Posts
won't be by Nov lawl
Posted via RS Mobile
akalic is offline   Reply With Quote