REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 05-17-2023, 11:52 AM   #26076
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,392 Times in 5,667 Posts
I think the problem is becoming “normal” people can’t even afford a 500k 1br
Advertisement
Old 05-17-2023, 12:19 PM   #26077
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 1,732 Times in 897 Posts
Normal people can afford $500k 1 bed, just how hard you want to work for it. Also don't forget stress test is way high right now due to interest rates. But it's do able, just what priorities you want to put first. If you can afford $2500 in rent you can afford to buy something.

And yea no one here blames the city for increasing property tax 10%+ no shit rent has to go up to pay for it.
JDMDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2023, 12:39 PM   #26078
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,184 Times in 7,165 Posts
I know you don't really like math and things that have basis in reality, but the fact is, the MEDIAN home costs 14x the MEDIAN household income right now in greater Vancouver. So normal people can't buy homes, not houses, homes. If you think affording $2500 in rent means that you can afford a $2500 mortgage (which won't get you a $500k home, which also doesn't really exist) you might need to consider what a down payment is if your parents aren't handing it over.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-17-2023, 12:58 PM   #26079

I actually just ran the math cuz I was curious how much $500k will cost at current rates. Here's what I got. $500k with 20% down so $400k mortgage amortized over 30y at 5.1% rate, so after stress test of 7.1% monthly payment is $2688.13 + $600 housing cost a month = $3288.13 /0.45% of income so you need to make $7306.95 a month x 12 months = $87683.46 gross annual. Not exactly high income for Vancouver and easily doable for a couple. Your real monthly payments are $2171.80 at 5.1% so you still have room for strata fees some property tax at $2500 a month.

Old 05-17-2023, 01:25 PM   #26080
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,315 Times in 2,518 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
We are normalizing immigrants and refugees living 4/5/6 people in a 1 or 2br. This constant push for immigration year after year will just further these situations. Whether it’s immigration or whatever you want to say is the cause, more people = more demand = higher prices
It seems like a portion of the population likes to say Canada's immigration policy is making our house costs worse because it creates more demand. (These people also like to say more immigrants make our healthcare costs higher because more people = more demand for healthcare.) I don't know how much truth there is to these "facts", but I know for certain that Canada's birth rate is at ~1.4 children per woman, and the population replacement rate needs to be ~2.1 children per woman.

As the entire world has yet to figure out a way to maintain a non-declining quality of life with an aging and dwindling population, we kind of need immigration here in Canada to keep going.

(Or if you have a way to entice people into having 3 kids each, that would be tremendously useful too.)
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-17-2023, 01:46 PM   #26081
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 2,174 Times in 963 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDMDreams View Post
I actually just ran the math cuz I was curious how much $500k will cost at current rates. Here's what I got. $500k with 20% down so $400k mortgage amortized over 30y at 5.1% rate, so after stress test of 7.1% monthly payment is $2688.13 + $600 housing cost a month = $3288.13 /0.45% of income so you need to make $7306.95 a month x 12 months = $87683.46 gross annual. Not exactly high income for Vancouver and easily doable for a couple. Your real monthly payments are $2171.80 at 5.1% so you still have room for strata fees some property tax at $2500 a month.

Ain't nobody doing a downpayment of $100k when the household income is $90k and they're already paying $2500/mo in rent unless the bank of mom and dad is stepping in. More like 5% downpayment and that's a $2500/mo mortgage plus strata etc - that's the very upper limit of what they should be spending on housing with no flexibility.

And a 1 bedroom isn't realistic for a sizeable number of couples - those who WFH or those who have plans to start a family at some point (who then become single income for a year and then have daycare costs after that). Or those who aren't couples and aren't in a position to be in a relationship (single people shouldn't be able to afford a home?)
This post thanked by:
Old 05-17-2023, 02:04 PM   #26082

Guess your parents give you that 100k? Cause you aren't saving it making 87k a year, which is about 5k net a month
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Quote:
This post thanked by:
Old 05-17-2023, 02:13 PM   #26083

Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
Guess your parents give you that 100k? Cause you aren't saving it making 87k a year, which is about 5k net a month
All that lazy couple has to do is move back into their parents home and freeload for 3.5 years to save up $100k. If it means moving back to India, China or the Philippines to make that happen then tough luck! /s
This post thanked by:
Old 05-17-2023, 02:23 PM   #26084
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,464 Times in 1,128 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traum View Post
It seems like a portion of the population likes to say Canada's immigration policy is making our house costs worse because it creates more demand. (These people also like to say more immigrants make our healthcare costs higher because more people = more demand for healthcare.) I don't know how much truth there is to these "facts", but I know for certain that Canada's birth rate is at ~1.4 children per woman, and the population replacement rate needs to be ~2.1 children per woman.

As the entire world has yet to figure out a way to maintain a non-declining quality of life with an aging and dwindling population, we kind of need immigration here in Canada to keep going.

(Or if you have a way to entice people into having 3 kids each, that would be tremendously useful too.)
The older millennials (35+ YO) will be the last generation to own single family homes in major urban centres in Canada, unless they come from the wealthiest families. Even then, the last entrants into the detached market will need to hold on their hats and hang on for dear life as other systemic changes to society will redefine our lives over the coming decades.

Quality of life may not be defined by material possessions, but by other intangibles - mental and physical health, air quality/moderate climate, access to fresh drinking water, and the ability to meaningfully contribute in the real world (as opposed to the metaverse).
Tapioca is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-17-2023, 02:44 PM   #26085

Thanked 2,422 Times in 918 Posts
Quote:
Normal people can afford $500k 1 bed, just how hard you want to work for it. Also don't forget stress test is way high right now due to interest rates. But it's do able, just what priorities you want to put first. If you can afford $2500 in rent you can afford to buy something.

And yea no one here blames the city for increasing property tax 10%+ no shit rent has to go up to pay for it.
I don't think the people paying $2,500+ in rent are complaining.

More so the guys who can't afford $1,500-2,000 rent aka the bottom 90% of Vancouver.

2022 Velo N
2005 S2000
2007 CSX Type-S [Sold]
2002 RSX-S [T-Boned]
Gerbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2023, 02:49 PM   #26086
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,760 Times in 704 Posts
I was talking to a co-workers cousin who just came here from India and one of the things that surprised him was that people financed things. More specifically cell phones... he said why would you finance a phone if you couldn't afford it..

Made me think that our culture normalizes things like financing and payments... It's only $30 a month etc.

I bring that up because my buddy is on a perpetual lease with his car. He's been rolling in a brand new A4 for the last 10 years. he makes $90k and is renting. his payment is close to $700 a month. Insane.
PeanutButter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2023, 02:49 PM   #26087
private modder

Thanked 2,654 Times in 743 Posts
Quote:
Normal people can afford $500k 1 bed, just how hard you want to work for it. .
Stupid statements like this are irritating and do nothing to help fix the problem at hand.
Eff-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-17-2023, 03:15 PM   #26088
in the butt

Thanked 3,225 Times in 1,186 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeanutButter View Post
I was talking to a co-workers cousin who just came here from India and one of the things that surprised him was that people financed things. More specifically cell phones... he said why would you finance a phone if you couldn't afford it..

Made me think that our culture normalizes things like financing and payments... It's only $30 a month etc.

I bring that up because my buddy is on a perpetual lease with his car. He's been rolling in a brand new A4 for the last 10 years. he makes $90k and is renting. his payment is close to $700 a month. Insane.
This is exactly why people can't afford a starter home, they don't want to.

I never understood leasing a phone either, paying 90$ a month for the "pay off your phone" package, or whatever, when you are sucked into a 1200$ phone that does the EXACT same thing as a 200$ model
Wait sorry, the 1200$ model has the latest built in Snapchat filters

Originally Posted by ilovebacon
Does anyone have a pair of 25 pounds one-inch hole for sale at a reasonable price?
donk. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2023, 03:16 PM   #26089
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,841 Times in 1,484 Posts
Quote:

The biggest irritant in life right now is all the subscription services. They are worse than a lease. The only payments I’ve ever made in my life are my mortgage. I almost financed a Peleton but ended up buying it outright. Only because it was 0%. Of people had a better understanding of basic finance, I’d hope we would do better. Sadly it’s how companies make a lot of money through marketing.
This post thanked by:
Old 05-17-2023, 03:56 PM   #26090
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,760 Times in 704 Posts
I guess I can look at my buddy.

$90,000 = Salary
$72,000 = Net after taxes
$6,000 = Net monthly income
$1,300 = Rent for a one bedroom basement suite right now (rent is low as he's been there for awhile)

5% down on a $500,000 principle residence is $25,000, so he would need to save $1,000 a month for 25 months and he would have the down payment. So pretty much, if he didn't have his car payment, he would have been there.

If he marries his gf, then his household income would go up by $50,000 (~what his gf makes a year)
PeanutButter is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-17-2023, 03:57 PM   #26091

Thanked 4,602 Times in 1,732 Posts
Quote:
We are normalizing immigrants and refugees living 4/5/6 people in a 1 or 2br. This constant push for immigration year after year will just further these situations. Whether it’s immigration or whatever you want to say is the cause, more people = more demand = higher prices

It’s one thing to say, the mindset of considering a “home” being a detached single family home needs to change.

It’s a completely different thing to say now you should live with your uncle and your parents and that’s the norm.
I hate how these temporary foreign workers are making me sound racist, which was never like me.

From how shitty they make food or provide customer service at various "fast food" establishments, to what happened to me today.

I got into a fender bender on 12th (Asian driver smoked me), ended up turning left onto Ash, and quickly parked in one of the outside spots at City Square mall. Right as I got out the car the brown lot attendant who barely spoke English started walking up to my smashed up car telling me I can't park there. I told her nicely, listen, I need to run back up to 12th St and exchange info with the other driver, and I'll be gone.

I proceed back 5 minutes later to her writing me a ticket on my clearly damaged car. I ended up calling head office with the parking company to have it waived and to complain about the attendant.

It's examples like that which really makes me start to hate this foreign worker program, it's the lack of decorum, the total lack of connection to the community these people tend to have. I never imagined in my life that someone would have such a lack of character to write a ticket on my car while parking in the lot for less then 5 minutes right after being in an accident.

I find it refreshing when I'm in the US, dealing with actual local citizens who work in such positions but carry a level of poise and grace, common sense.

I'm ranting but I see so many examples from a service perspective from these people over the last few years that it's really starting to turn me into a person I don't wish to be.

I'm hearing more and more people tell these anecdotal stories about these workers here on FTW, and their negative engagements.
mikemhg is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-17-2023, 04:21 PM   #26092

So wtf is your buddy doing with the remaining $4700? If he nets $6000? Rent, Audi to pull bitches to his basement suite is only like $2500 tops with insurance and gas. He still has $3500 a month to eat at Cactus club or save for DP. That's at least $40k a year.

Quote:

$90,000 = Salary
$1,300 = Rent for a one bedroom basement suite right now (rent is low as he's been there for awhile)

5% down on a $500,000 principle residence is $25,000, so he would need to save $1,000 a month for 25 months and he would have the down payment. So pretty much, if he didn't have his car payment, he would have been there.

If he marries his gf, then his household income would go up by $50,000 (~what his gf makes a year)
Old 05-17-2023, 04:33 PM   #26093

Quote:

$90,000 = Salary
Wait, people making $90k net $72k? Really?
Old 05-17-2023, 05:04 PM   #26094
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,392 Times in 5,667 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemhg View Post
I hate how these temporary foreign workers are making me sound racist, which was never like me.

From how shitty they make food or provide customer service at various "fast food" establishments, to what happened to me today.

I got into a fender bender on 12th (Asian driver smoked me), ended up turning left onto Ash, and quickly parked in one of the outside spots at City Square mall. Right as I got out the car the brown lot attendant who barely spoke English started walking up to my smashed up car telling me I can't park there. I told her nicely, listen, I need to run back up to 12th St and exchange info with the other driver, and I'll be gone.

I proceed back 5 minutes later to her writing me a ticket on my clearly damaged car. I ended up calling head office with the parking company to have it waived and to complain about the attendant.

It's examples like that which really makes me start to hate this foreign worker program, it's the lack of decorum, the total lack of connection to the community these people tend to have. I never imagined in my life that someone would have such a lack of character to write a ticket on my car while parking in the lot for less then 5 minutes right after being in an accident.

I find it refreshing when I'm in the US, dealing with actual local citizens who work in such positions but carry a level of poise and grace, common sense.

I'm ranting but I see so many examples from a service perspective from these people over the last few years that it's really starting to turn me into a person I don't wish to be.

I'm hearing more and more people tell these anecdotal stories about these workers here on FTW, and their negative engagements.
You wouldn’t believe the shit I saw at Telus..

I remember phoning a guy who was the contact for an internet connection, he says yea just give me a second I live just up the street but it’s for my tenants. The guy knocks on a grubby basement door somewhere behind Metrotown. No one answers, tries to call someone, no one answers, says fuck it and opens the door.

This was like some sort of contagion horror movie. In this 1 BR basement suite the guy opened the door and the daylight creaked in and illuminated (this is no exaggeration) SIX Indian guys sprawled out on 2 mattresses in what would be the living room. They all woke up upon our arrival and only 1 of them could manage enough English to tell me where they wanted the router.

They were all working for paladin security or some shit and basically being totally abused/taken advantage of in order (presumably) to get their PR..

But hey.. buddy is getting $3500 for this fucking disgusting hole of a suite, rock on!
Old 05-17-2023, 05:15 PM   #26095

Thanked 2,464 Times in 1,128 Posts
Quote:

$90,000 = Salary

What's sad is not the basement suite rental, but that his partner only makes 50K/year. He's gotta level up on that front...
Tapioca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2023, 05:18 PM   #26096
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 8,779 Times in 3,162 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by donk. View Post
This is exactly why people can't afford a starter home, they don't want to.

I never understood leasing a phone either, paying 90$ a month for the "pay off your phone" package, or whatever, when you are sucked into a 1200$ phone that does the EXACT same thing as a 200$ model
Wait sorry, the 1200$ model has the latest built in Snapchat filters
wut? NO DONK NO... you need the latest and greatest phones because how else are you gonna take these INSANE photos of your tom Selleck mustache and vette?

Plus who wants to encounter lag while swiping left or right on grinder she-males!?
Badhobz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2023, 05:45 PM   #26097
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,315 Times in 2,518 Posts
Mikemhg,

I'm sorry you had to deal with both the accident and the insensitive lot attendant.

IMO, it doesn't really matter whether the person is TFW or not -- what people need is that they are part of the local community, and part of the greater community. In much the same way as the brown dude that you ran into, every now and then I'd come across an insensitive Mainlander (usually in Richmond) who doesn't give a fxxk about how he is present in a Canadian society. These usually still carry the mindset that they can do whatever dafuq they want because that's how they operate in China.

Of course, I don't think I come across enough people on a regular basis who might be a TFW, so I can't comment on whether the mentality you ran into with that brown attendant dude is a common among TFW or not.

Good luck with the car repairs. I hope there wouldn't be any parts holdups and such.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemhg View Post

Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2023, 05:48 PM   #26098

Quote:
You wouldn’t believe the shit I saw at Telus..

I remember phoning a guy who was the contact for an internet connection, he says yea just give me a second I live just up the street but it’s for my tenants. The guy knocks on a grubby basement door somewhere behind Metrotown. No one answers, tries to call someone, no one answers, says fuck it and opens the door.

This was like some sort of contagion horror movie. In this 1 BR basement suite the guy opened the door and the daylight creaked in and illuminated (this is no exaggeration) SIX Indian guys sprawled out on 2 mattresses in what would be the living room. They all woke up upon our arrival and only 1 of them could manage enough English to tell me where they wanted the router.

They were all working for paladin security or some shit and basically being totally abused/taken advantage of in order (presumably) to get their PR..

But hey.. buddy is getting $3500 for this fucking disgusting hole of a suite, rock on!
This is one of the things my fellow commies are too scared to say for seeming like xenophobes, but the reality is, bringing over a set number of immigrants with absolutely no consideration for housing and quality of life (because let's be honest 90% of them are being brought over here and chained to shit jobs that pay for shit living conditions) we aren't doing them or us any favours. It's not the "bring us your hungry, you're poor and we will help them" sort of situation. It's big, shitty corporations lobbying to get people to work for way too little on one end, then the government getting interest free loans from the rich on the other end. Neither is motivated by making a better life for new or current citizens.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Quote:
This post thanked by:
Old 05-17-2023, 06:16 PM   #26099

I mean there's ways to make money if you tried

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbc.ca/amp/1.6839013

Who else is gonna deliver your over priced Starbucks on Uber for your lazy ass if you don't allow maniacs cousins in.
Old 05-17-2023, 06:22 PM   #26100

I've never ordered a coffee delivery so I don't really care. My wife allows me outside my house so I'll just walk down the street.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Quote:
This post thanked by: