REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 05-15-2023, 09:13 AM   #26051
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,400 Times in 5,672 Posts
Well yea.. cause people have no money
Advertisement
Old 05-15-2023, 10:20 AM   #26052
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 1,735 Times in 900 Posts
Well all dem people's were just like Make EVERYTHING IN USA CANADA. Why are we supporting Communists and Russians

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badhobz View Post
We just had a big conference between all the port authorities last week and volumes are down ~35% since last year.

"Peak" season might not even happen this year as most warehouses are still full inventory bought during the pandemic and consumers have lost the appetite to purchase crap. We can thank inflation and high interest rates for this lack of demand.. now people are too worried to go into debt.

Shippers/importers and even carriers are talking layoffs if this trend continues.

What doesnt bode well for shipping, means the economy is stagnating and the jobs market is shrinking.
JDMDreams is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2023, 11:00 AM   #26053
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 8,795 Times in 3,169 Posts
It’s so funny I was looking at “race ramps” for my car. They said they proudly make their products in the USA. They want 499 usd for these plastic ramps.

The crappy Canadian tire ones I just bought and consequently returned was only 59.99.

Globalization makes our lives livable. If we had to buy local we’d all be broke.
Badhobz is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-15-2023, 11:03 AM   #26054
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,534 Times in 4,318 Posts
Race Ramps are expensive AF but they have their purpose. I think Canadian Tire might have two versions - a low-profile version and a regular height. The low-profile gets you off the ground enough to jack it up, but not get under your car, unless it's a lifted vehicle of some kind, which yours is not haha

Experience/source: tried it myself on the Boxster

I think it looks peasant as fuck and to me this is a 3/10
Quote:
^PICS DAMNIT!!!! ill eat the pate out of her banhmi anytime.
bcrdukes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2023, 11:03 AM   #26055
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 4,069 Times in 1,253 Posts
Quote:
It’s so funny I was looking at “race ramps” for my car. They said they proudly make their products in the USA. They want 499 usd for these plastic ramps.

Globalization makes our lives livable. If we had to buy local we’d all be broke.
PROUDLY ASSMEBLED IN THE US OF A WITH GLOBAL COMPONENTS.

Quote:
MG1: in fact, a new term needs to make its way into the American dictionary. Trump............ he's such a "Trump" = ultimate insult. Like, "yray, you're such a trump."
bcrdukes yray fucked bcrdukes up the nose

dapperfied yraisis
dapperfied yray so waisis

FastAnna you literally talk out your ass
FastAnna i really cant
FastAnna yray i cant stand you
yray is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-15-2023, 11:54 AM   #26056
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,731 Times in 1,322 Posts
Quote:
trades will always be in demand as skilled labor is hard to come by. But retail, manufacturing, agriculture are all seeing downward trends for job prospects. Anything that we export, or import related fields arent doing so great vs last few years.
For sure, skilled labour is a real challenge right now and it's going to get worse before it gets better. Bidding on some of these large projects is kind of terrifying because there is a lot of concern that if you do win the award how are you going to man it or at what cost?

Commercial construction is going to be booming until at least mid 2025, after that I'm not sure what the outlook will be but guaranteed slammed for at least the next two years.

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I don´t care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. That´s how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
quasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2023, 08:59 PM   #26057
SFICC-03*

Thanked 2,462 Times in 992 Posts
it may not be as fancy as most of the houses shown here, but we got our offer accepted on the house we wanted. its in guildford which is an ideal area for both of us. i grew up in surrey so i like living there, especially guildford because its so multicultural. so glad we didnt give up and go for a luxury townhouse thats 3/4 as expensive. we even managed to get it under asking in this crazy market.
unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2023, 09:33 PM   #26058

Thanked 31,187 Times in 7,167 Posts
Congrats man.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-16-2023, 07:40 AM   #26059
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,764 Times in 705 Posts
Guildford surprised me actually. It's probably one of the most diverse areas in Metro Vancouver. I wouldn't say one ethnicity dominates, it's pretty mixed. It's also nicer because there's no skytrain there and Guildford Mall is pretty nice too.

What was the asking, how much did you pay, and were there other offers? Seems odd you could get a place under asking.
PeanutButter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2023, 08:36 AM   #26060
SFICC-03*

oh yeah the area has a mix of indian, filipino, vietnamese, white, chinese, etc..

they asked 1.3, we offered 1.26, we agreed on 1.275 subject free.

there were a few factors that helped us. the house is on a T alleyway, but the lights from oncoming cars don't shine into the house, so that's ok with me. also there is a bus stop across the street, but there's no sidewalk on our side, so i don't really see people hanging around the house being a problem. also it's near a somewhat busy street, so some people wouldn't like that. my gf used to live on the corner of kingsway and fraser where cops and ambulances sped down all day long, so these things are not a huge deal for us and they may have helped us to get the place for a good price. apparently another offer just came in after the buyer had countered, and they were ok with being a backup offer.

i've been watching the lower end of the detached market like a hawk so i know that literally every week houses are pushing 20-50k higher right now. of course it won't last forever, but the inventory is like non existent so the prices will still keep pushing up for a while imo. we saw a 30yo townhouse for $800k last week in guildford and there were 30 parties for the thursday open house and presumably 50+ for sat and sun. it's crazy out there!
This post thanked by:
Old 05-16-2023, 10:04 AM   #26061
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,194 Times in 483 Posts
When do we start seeing posts in here from you for the new place?
https://www.revscene.net/forums/7172...-today-11.html
SSM_DC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2023, 10:20 AM   #26062
SFICC-03*

once my finances have recovered lol
Old 05-16-2023, 11:02 AM   #26063

Thanked 3,085 Times in 1,190 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by unit View Post
once my finances have recovered lol
Sorry to break it to you, but that never happens...
Honest to fucking Christ the easiest way to get a married woman in the mood is clean the house and do the laundry.....I've been with the same girl almost 17 years, ask me how I know. - quasi
Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-16-2023, 11:54 AM   #26064
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 2,238 Times in 1,035 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
Sorry to break it to you, but that never happens...

Still reeling after 2 years
EvoFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2023, 04:26 PM   #26065
Performance Moderator

Thanked 15,546 Times in 5,149 Posts
For 1.275 range... I would probably go a little farther away?

https://www.realtor.ca/real-estate/2...4-street-delta

I'd much rather go detached at the $1M+ range... bit of paint and reno work but no strata BS and your own property
68style is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-16-2023, 05:25 PM   #26066

I’d much rather live in guildford than Delta

Going to Vancouver or say the north shore from Delta is such a headache, like an hour with no traffic. My wife’s cousin lives by Krispy Kreme and from the PNE it’s 45+ with zero traffic. Don’t care for the area at all unless you’ve got everything there you need

Albeit I grew up in Fraser heights so I know how valuable the proximity to the highway can be
Old 05-16-2023, 05:55 PM   #26067

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
I’d much rather live in guildford than Delta

Going to Vancouver or say the north shore from Delta is such a headache, like an hour with no traffic. My wife’s cousin lives by Krispy Kreme and from the PNE it’s 45+ with zero traffic. Don’t care for the area at all unless you’ve got everything there you need

Albeit I grew up in Fraser heights so I know how valuable the proximity to the highway can be
Currently in central richmond but so sick of strata. Want to go detached again, but budget is 1.8mil because I don't want to take on a mortgage. Been looking at Fraser heights, south surrey (white rock area), Grandview Heights, and Richmond (Ideally would love richmond for the convenience, but stretching it thin because its so expensive now).

how is living in Fraser Heights? Good place to raise a kid?
Old 05-16-2023, 06:13 PM   #26068

Has some of the best public schools I believe, very highly rated as well as pacific academy if you’re into private. It’s very family oriented but I’d say much less so than when I grew up there but it’s still pretty nice my parents and some friends still live there

The demographic is probably 70%+ Korean now
Old 05-16-2023, 07:52 PM   #26069
SFICC-03*

I went to fraser heights when it was a brand new school. Honestly its top notch, or at least was. That was over 20y ago. Back when i was there it was 50% white, 20% taiwanese, 10% korean, and 20% other. It had some of the best public school teachers. It stole the best teachers from North Surrey and Johnson Heights when it opened. Assuming it hasnt changed that dramatically, FH is a fantastic place to raise your kids. People are constantly going for walks all over the neighborhood and saying hello to each other.
This post thanked by:
Old 05-16-2023, 08:56 PM   #26070

Quote:
Has some of the best public schools I believe, very highly rated as well as pacific academy if you’re into private. It’s very family oriented but I’d say much less so than when I grew up there but it’s still pretty nice my parents and some friends still live there

The demographic is probably 70%+ Korean now
Quote:
Originally Posted by unit View Post
I went to fraser heights when it was a brand new school. Honestly its top notch, or at least was. That was over 20y ago. Back when i was there it was 50% white, 20% taiwanese, 10% korean, and 20% other. It had some of the best public school teachers. It stole the best teachers from North Surrey and Johnson Heights when it opened. Assuming it hasnt changed that dramatically, FH is a fantastic place to raise your kids. People are constantly going for walks all over the neighborhood and saying hello to each other.
thanks for the insight, will def consider the area.
Old 05-16-2023, 10:17 PM   #26071
SFICC-03*

yeah now saying that, i realize there is a shortcoming with the school, and it's that it was never designed to be a big 2000+ kid school. when i was in gr 12 it probably had 1200 students. because of this, it didnt really have as many programs as a big school. for example, less languages to choose from, less extracurricular activities, less AP courses, etc...
This post thanked by:
Old 05-17-2023, 11:04 AM   #26072

$2800 a month for a 1br in Vancouver lol.. good luck

https://vancouver.citynews.ca/2023/0...rocket-report/
Old 05-17-2023, 11:08 AM   #26073
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,422 Times in 918 Posts
The friends that I know that pay $2,500+ rent are splitting it half and half with a friend / SO. Makes it super affordable at $1,250-1,700/month.

Solo living folks that got evicted moved to Kingsway low-rise condos / Studio's at $1,900 - 2,100.

Either way, if people make it work rent prices will remain the same.

2022 Velo N
2005 S2000
2007 CSX Type-S [Sold]
2002 RSX-S [T-Boned]
Gerbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2023, 11:17 AM   #26074

We are normalizing immigrants and refugees living 4/5/6 people in a 1 or 2br. This constant push for immigration year after year will just further these situations. Whether it’s immigration or whatever you want to say is the cause, more people = more demand = higher prices

It’s one thing to say, the mindset of considering a “home” being a detached single family home needs to change.

It’s a completely different thing to say now you should live with your uncle and your parents and that’s the norm.
Old 05-17-2023, 11:28 AM   #26075
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 1,323 Times in 579 Posts
Quote:
We are normalizing immigrants and refugees living 4/5/6 people in a 1 or 2br. This constant push for immigration year after year will just further these situations. Whether it’s immigration or whatever you want to say is the cause, more people = more demand = higher prices

It’s one thing to say, the mindset of considering a “home” being a detached single family home needs to change.

It’s a completely different thing to say now you should live with your uncle and your parents and that’s the norm.
See this mindset everyday, where people complain they can't afford a home, but who said the home needed to be a house? Then we build condo's, then these same people will complain why would I pay $500K for a fucking shoe box. Ummm okay, so you can't afford a house, but don't want to pay for a shoe box lol.
Euro7r is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: