REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 05-25-2017, 12:36 PM   #9801
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,325 Times in 5,641 Posts
id take a concorde unit over some chinese developer 100/100 times though. (Although Trump's developer builds some good stuff, forget the name)

some info from friends/realtors, in the last month prices in the Fraser Valley are now higher than they were in the "craziness" last summer.. lulz..

Also, CBC had a show a few nights ago showing Chinese families moving to fucking PEI now because land is dirt cheap, they buy big old homes in the area and then typically use this as a jumping off point for Vancouver and Toronto..

Dat Chinese invasion right across da nation
Advertisement
Old 05-25-2017, 02:21 PM   #9802
they call me the snowman

Thanked 3,993 Times in 1,374 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
Dat Chinese invasion right across da nation
This is exactly what is going on. It's not an act of war, but a financial invasion promoted by our own government. I laugh when I hear someone call out "racism" when a natural born Canadian citizen complains about foreign ownership. But what are we supposed to do, greet our invaders with open arms?

originalhypa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 02:42 PM   #9803
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 3,235 Times in 1,221 Posts
Presale townhomes in Langley are still going strong, selling out on the first day. 500k+ for a 2 bedroom, 550-600k+ for a 3.

There was that slowdown from September until the snow went away, and now it looks like everyone is making up for lost time.
MarkyMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 03:01 PM   #9804
linguistic ninja

Thanked 3,378 Times in 1,229 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by originalhypa View Post
This is exactly what is going on. It's not an act of war, but a financial invasion promoted by our own government. I laugh when I hear someone call out "racism" when a natural born Canadian citizen complains about foreign ownership. But what are we supposed to do, greet our invaders with open arms?

People take issue with the word "invasion". Invasion implies a concerted organized effort of one group of people to displace another. It's easy to view "the Chinese" as an amorphous blob when in actuality it's wealthy individuals acting independently of one another who want to move their capital from their home country into ours.

I find it more of accurately defined as unfettered global capitalism creating havoc for the Western middle class. Chinese capitalism funded the First World economy for the last 20 years and it's consumers lapped it up. We are now seeing the resulting effect of this when said Chinese factory owners got rich off our own wallets and are now using that money to buy our houses.

It's terms like "invasion", "horde", and "locusts" are being used unfairly that really confound the matter. We are just reaping what we sowed. How do we stop it? No easy answer, but it seems to need to involve a wholesale restructuring of our Capitalist system in order for it to occur.

Still a card carrying member of the SFC :)
CivicBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 03:29 PM   #9805
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,812 Times in 2,501 Posts
it's not like they're sending armies to our country to ransack and loot valuables and art ... that would be the act of barbarians

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 08:45 AM   #9806
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,463 Times in 1,127 Posts
Detached homes in the 1.1-1.5 million range still seem to be moving. The majority of detached in this range are moving in the Tri-Cities.

The Bank of Canada is continuing to hold the overnight rate and probably will for the next several quarters. The next 12-18 months may be the last shot to get into a low fixed rate mortgage. Since the 5-year fixed mortgage remains the most popular mortgage, the impact of rising interest rates is likely to be felt some time from now - 2021 or 2022.
Tapioca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 09:05 AM   #9807
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 2,223 Times in 1,025 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapioca View Post
Detached homes in the 1.1-1.5 million range still seem to be moving. The majority of detached in this range are moving in the Tri-Cities.

The Bank of Canada is continuing to hold the overnight rate and probably will for the next several quarters. The next 12-18 months may be the last shot to get into a low fixed rate mortgage. Since the 5-year fixed mortgage remains the most popular mortgage, the impact of rising interest rates is likely to be felt some time from now - 2021 or 2022.
It just means people have to pay off their mortgage sooner or later. My mortgage is set for 30 years, but we are on track to pay it off after only 10 years at the current interest rate.

We did a 2 years floating rate when we started and it's up in January, we will probably lock in a low rate when we are up for renewal next year. The mortgage principal is fix(if we don't trade up) but our income continues to grow.
EvoFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 09:41 AM   #9808

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvoFire View Post
It just means people have to pay off their mortgage sooner or later. My mortgage is set for 30 years, but we are on track to pay it off after only 10 years at the current interest rate.

We did a 2 years floating rate when we started and it's up in January, we will probably lock in a low rate when we are up for renewal next year. The mortgage principal is fix(if we don't trade up) but our income continues to grow.
The often-repeated narrative is the debt levels of Canadians are at an all-time high and that any increase in interest rates, which may add a couple of hundred dollars to one's expenses, will put people under and that they will be forced to sell their homes.

My own view, based on experience growing up with parents of modest means in a shitty vinyl siding Vancouver special, is that people will do whatever it takes to keep their homes. However, when I look around and see the sheer amount of people lining up at ramen or poke restaurants, or paying $20 for a plate of lettuce at Tractor, I sometimes wonder if people these days have the guts to cut back when times get tough.
Old 05-26-2017, 10:29 AM   #9809
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 3,235 Times in 1,221 Posts
You'd have to be a real idiot to not change your spending habits when your house is on the line. The people who prioritize their lifestyle over their possessions probably rent to begin with.
MarkyMark is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-26-2017, 10:46 AM   #9810
My homepage has been set to RS

Some people just have to keep up with the Instagram lifestyle.

What are everyone's thoughts on presale condos/townhomes in New West? Potentially looking at one, but not sure if I should buy something a few years old and move in right away, or wait for a 2018/2019 move-in date.
Liquid_o2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 11:59 AM   #9811

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquid_o2 View Post

What are everyone's thoughts on presale condos/townhomes in New West? Potentially looking at one, but not sure if I should buy something a few years old and move in right away, or wait for a 2018/2019 move-in date.
Pros of presale - brand new, no bidding wars
Cons of presale - growing pains with building, strata, and neighbourhood; usually have to put 20% down, completion delays

New Westminster has finally arrived as the next big thing. It has to everything going for it - central location in Metro Vancouver, SkyTrain, history, an arts and culture scene, and young families. I don't think you can go wrong in the long term.
Old 05-26-2017, 12:06 PM   #9812
linguistic ninja

Thanked 3,378 Times in 1,229 Posts
Quote:
The often-repeated narrative is the debt levels of Canadians are at an all-time high and that any increase in interest rates, which may add a couple of hundred dollars to one's expenses, will put people under and that they will be forced to sell their homes.

My own view, based on experience growing up with parents of modest means in a shitty vinyl siding Vancouver special, is that people will do whatever it takes to keep their homes. However, when I look around and see the sheer amount of people lining up at ramen or poke restaurants, or paying $20 for a plate of lettuce at Tractor, I sometimes wonder if people these days have the guts to cut back when times get tough.

Comon, that plate of lettuce has to come with Avocado or quinoa at least.

source: Paid $15 for a salad at tractor once

Still a card carrying member of the SFC :)
CivicBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 12:11 PM   #9813
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

Tapioca, you have great input around here. Appreciate the insightful posts.
Gh0st is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-26-2017, 11:15 PM   #9814
i like gifs

Thanked 7,785 Times in 2,695 Posts
B.C. real estate: Speculators target farmland after foreign buyer tax introduced | Vancouver Sun

Sales of farmland in B.C. surged and prices jumped immediately after the provincial government announced a foreign buyer tax on residential land in July 2016, a Postmedia investigation shows.

The surge in agricultural land sales and prices — on property that is not subject to the 15 per cent foreign buyer tax — was largely driven by record-setting sales in the Fraser Valley, South Surrey and White Rock.
Ch28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 07:45 AM   #9815
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDMStyo View Post
I'd say.

Sun Tower sold out by a small Chinese developer at nearly $1200/ft last month.
Goldhouse was a bargain at $600/ft late 2015.

MET sales are $950/ft recently.
MET2 assignments are stopping soon as construction is wrapping up. Better hop on that - though the 28th floor one is gone last I checked. $500K one still available but it's much lower floor.
SMH

$1200/ft presale at the noisy metrotown station. Common now...
Downtown recently hit that what gives a ghetto area of Burnaby the right to charge that much.

Enough is enough let this crash already so we can get these speculators buying on credit outta here.
Ludepower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 08:00 AM   #9816
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch28 View Post
B.C. real estate: Speculators target farmland after foreign buyer tax introduced | Vancouver Sun

Sales of farmland in B.C. surged and prices jumped immediately after the provincial government announced a foreign buyer tax on residential land in July 2016, a Postmedia investigation shows.

The surge in agricultural land sales and prices — on property that is not subject to the 15 per cent foreign buyer tax — was largely driven by record-setting sales in the Fraser Valley, South Surrey and White Rock.
"Yeaa...we um need this 30,000 sq ft house with 10 garages, 3 swimming pools, tennis court, 20 rooms, a guest house, golf course so taht my family of farmers can live together"
wingies is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 05-27-2017, 11:21 AM   #9817
Performance Moderator

Thanked 15,433 Times in 5,107 Posts
My family has 20 acres in Aldergrove from a family farm... what's your guys opinipn? Sell now? Both myself and my sister are stuck in condo/townhouse situations ourselves and could potentially give us hope of getting into something else. Especially my sister who has 2 kids.
68style is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 03:09 PM   #9818
My homepage has been set to RS

Even rentals are crazy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68style View Post
My family has 20 acres in Aldergrove from a family farm... what's your guys opinipn? Sell now? Both myself and my sister are stuck in condo/townhouse situations ourselves and could potentially give us hope of getting into something else. Especially my sister who has 2 kids.
Like buffet said, people are greedy right now. Sell it to them - I see this as a win/win for both of you.
What's the point of having a 20 acre farm if you two aren't really enjoying the fruits of it?
subordinate is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-27-2017, 03:55 PM   #9819
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludepower View Post
SMH

$1200/ft presale at the noisy metrotown station. Common now...
Downtown recently hit that what gives a ghetto area of Burnaby the right to charge that much.

Enough is enough let this crash already so we can get these speculators buying on credit outta here.
Really depends some co workers that is living at The Met now have no issue with the noise at all. I guess coz maybe is far enough from the skytrain and is not right beside any busy streets. They did complain about rush hour traffic where Nelson and Kingways is pretty back up.

I just did my walk through inspection today for The Met 2. 11th floor. Even with the window opens I couldn't hear much noise at all. Maybe coz it is still a few min walks from the skytrain?

I wasn't expecting the unit to be this nice actually. i was more thinking of renting it and then sell it. Now I kinda of want to keep it. The unit layout is actually nicer than what I expect. Some of the units I been have a lot of wasted space IE a long hallway that serves no purpose or with a tone of different concers. But for The Met2 it seems they really made use of all the space. Although the finishing could have been better. Hopefully all of the gets fix before the move in date. I also like the fact there are 3 evelators instead of 2.

Quote:
Pros of presale - brand new, no bidding wars
Cons of presale - growing pains with building, strata, and neighbourhood; usually have to put 20% down, completion delays

New Westminster has finally arrived as the next big thing. It has to everything going for it - central location in Metro Vancouver, SkyTrain, history, an arts and culture scene, and young families. I don't think you can go wrong in the long term.
I would say New West is actually a pretty good place to live in now especially when you are close to the skytrain. There are markets, movie theaters, a nice walkway along the river and there is a college nearby so if you want to rent it out you will have a much easier time. The city have been cleaning that area up and they did a nice job. I remember when I used to go to Douglas college I don't really confortable walking after my 10pm night class. It wasn't like I was afraid to I would get mug or anything but I was more alert. Now I felt pretty safe taking the skytrain after a night movie there.

The only thing I could think of thats bad would be the traffic during rush hour. However if you can take the skytrain to and from work I wouldn't say is an issue. If you can get a good deal pre sale now I say do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquid_o2 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkyMark View Post
You'd have to be a real idiot to not change your spending habits when your house is on the line. The people who prioritize their lifestyle over their possessions probably rent to begin with.
People will have to change their lifestyle if they were force to. I mean is between keeping your house or living on the streets. I think a lot of people would rather keep their house. Generally speaking once you sign the pre-sale contract people should really start to adjust their lifestyle. I regert not starting sooner. I think I got the pre sale around Feb 2014 and I didn't really start trying to save till late 2015. If I had start early my mortgage would have been lower and I might actually get a change to live in it instead of renting the unit out.

I am not saying the Western living style is bad but sometimes i feel we could learn from some of the Asian life style. One thing most Asians don't like is buying things on credit and worry about it later. They tend to pay for things with cash so they don't really over spend. You can see that through their spending habits. I mean Tokyo is a very technology advance city but yet a lot of the shops still only accept cash only. Is only those large chain stores or tourist attractions that accept credit card. Even though interest rate is at like 0% they still like to use cash. Look at China sure they can pay most things with their WeChat account but it is tie directly to how much money you put into your alipay wallet or tie to your debit card. Basically you need to have cash before you can spend.

While here people tend to spend it now and worry about it later. Is all fine when you pay your bills off all at once. But most people don't and end up with a credit to be carry over. If one credit card doesn't cover it any longer they just apply another one. One day the musical chair will end and people will either have no more spending power because they actually need to use most of their income to pay off their credit card or just belly up bankrupt.
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 09:25 AM   #9820
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 2,223 Times in 1,025 Posts
Quote:

It's been often repeated that RS doesn't represent the typical Canadian, and I this is another case where it is shining through as it would be hard to find someone here to fit the profile the first paragraph depicts.

I would have to say, most of the ppl are lining up for $20 poke/tractor/ramen are those are either renting/from out of town/live with parents. I do like the poke stuff but it's a once a month treat kind of thing IF I didn't bring lunch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.HappySilp View Post
Really depends some co workers that is living at The Met now have no issue with the noise at all. I guess coz maybe is far enough from the skytrain and is not right beside any busy streets. They did complain about rush hour traffic where Nelson and Kingways is pretty back up.

I just did my walk through inspection today for The Met 2. 11th floor. Even with the window opens I couldn't hear much noise at all. Maybe coz it is still a few min walks from the skytrain?

I wasn't expecting the unit to be this nice actually. i was more thinking of renting it and then sell it. Now I kinda of want to keep it. The unit layout is actually nicer than what I expect. Some of the units I been have a lot of wasted space IE a long hallway that serves no purpose or with a tone of different concers. But for The Met2 it seems they really made use of all the space. Although the finishing could have been better. Hopefully all of the gets fix before the move in date. I also like the fact there are 3 evelators instead of 2.
We were seriously interested in The Met when we were looking for a place. The show homes were pretty impressive(compared to many other places we looked at) and showed a great use of space for the listed square footage. We actually curiously went to look at a few of the "flippers" for sale and we weren't disappointed.

It shows the importance of sticking with a well known developer as we looked at units from a few of the smaller developers and they all had some sort of quality issue(s). Some of the developers need to learn that a few nice appliances do not make it a quality home.

Maybe I am old school/traditional, I don't understand how or why people want that little tiny European style fridge. We don't live in Europe or Asia and our lifestyles don't really match those appliances. We are a family of 2 and we manage to fill up our fridge more often than not (blame it on the Costco ice cream runs). We meal prep a weeks worth of lunch to save money and a tiny Paycal fridge just wouldn't cut it.
EvoFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 02:07 PM   #9821
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,325 Times in 5,641 Posts
I've got a full sized counter depth fridge and it's still not enough for two people lol..the euro style fridge would be brutal
Old 05-28-2017, 05:28 PM   #9822
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,383 Times in 3,465 Posts
Quote:
Move to the farm grow blue berry's become rich.
Old 05-28-2017, 09:13 PM   #9823
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,165 Times in 7,156 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkyMark View Post
Well that depends...
Do you love your life? Or love your home?
Being house poor and not enjoying yourself seems just as stupid to me as giving up your home, cashing in and yolo'ing the fuck out for a while. Travelling to your dream places, relaxing on a beach and then seeing where you are at when you get back doesn't seem stupid to me. Or maybe you never come back? It just depends where your priorities lie. If you have a kid? Yeah you are a fucking idiot if you give up stability for your selfish reasons, but for others its a brilliant idea.
The economy is cyclical, and believe it or not, things will change, even in vancouver, and maybe just a little bit. Or maybe a lot?
As much as people still treat real estate as the only measurable level of success, that mentality is on its way out with this generation. To me overextending yourself to buy a home and living like a slave with a financial axe swinging over your head is far dumber than giving up the home ownership dream.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-28-2017, 09:42 PM   #9824
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 2,796 Times in 915 Posts
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic! View Post
Move to the farm grow blue berry's become rich.
This!....invest into the farm for producing,Including Live stock like Fresh Eggs!...yearly income would be Healthy,Why Wouldn't eggs sell?..you'll have to contact a distributor on contract.

long term it would be best vs selling it off getting rich quick,the cookie crumbs will add up IMO.
Old 05-28-2017, 09:51 PM   #9825
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,165 Times in 7,156 Posts
If you can manage to get me some eggs for under $50 a case and don't treat your chickens like shit I'll take probably 1000 eggs a week.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is online now   Reply With Quote