REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 07-09-2017, 07:51 AM   #10101
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 320icar View Post
^^ tl;dr

They won't ever impose some sort of rule like you said in the first few sentences. But you know what? I don't want them to. I like how diverse this city is, I like the influx of money and I like the condition of our city. Yes that means a lower middle class person like me can't afford a house, but I can afford everything else and i like living in a world class city. The amount of money metro van gets from immigrants (or 6 months of the year tourists) is insane. The city would never truly risk losing that
you TL DR but you thought exactly what I wrote. The city loves the money the foreigners are bringing in, including the tax dollars on home sales.
Advertisement
Old 07-09-2017, 09:56 AM   #10102
SiRVs up, dude

Good video on why you shouldn't buy pre-sale

Old 07-09-2017, 11:36 AM   #10103
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,149 Times in 7,150 Posts
Pretty stupid to say that definitively. I bought presale and couldn't be happier. My place is nice, the value increased probably 100k before I walked through the door, and after a year of living there we have had zero issues.
Don't buy a piece of shit condo from a piece of shit builder.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 04:20 PM   #10104
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,321 Times in 5,639 Posts
Pre-sales are almost the only way to get value anymore
Old 07-09-2017, 07:28 PM   #10105
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

yea pre-sales are a sure way to get value and also make a decent investment. Like westopher said, just buy from a reputable developer and not some new shady one and will be fine.
Old 07-09-2017, 09:43 PM   #10106
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiRV View Post
Good video on why you shouldn't buy pre-sale
I actually walked right past this guy on the street in Yale Town a few weeks ago... he was wearing exactly the same cloths!

/useless thread contribution
MrPhreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 06:42 AM   #10107
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
Pretty stupid to say that definitively. I bought presale and couldn't be happier. My place is nice, the value increased probably 100k before I walked through the door, and after a year of living there we have had zero issues.
Don't buy a piece of shit condo from a piece of shit builder.
Yes and no. A lot of good builder now pretty much contract their jobs out, and the person who got the contract will sub contract it out....... I wouldn't say all pre sales are shit but there are stuff that needs fixing for sure. Even after my initial inspection, wrote done all the stuff that needs fixing. Came back a month later to get keys and still some stuff is not fix. Mind you is nothing serious but still...... now it will even be harder to get stuff fix coz I already got the keys...... From what I heard form friends who bought pre-sale it could take 6 to 8 months before they fix everything for you and that's why them nagging almost weekly.

As I mention I earlier lucky for me most of the stuff are fixed expect a few minor details. I mean to us it could be serious issue but to the developers/contractors those stuff are so tiny when compare to the whole building they might even care.

With pre-sale you don't have to pay all of it up front. Is more like 5% then 5% then 10% (or something like that). So it might be easier to people to save up for a down payment.

Also I wouldn't worry about who my neighbor will be. With apartments these days, just expect 90% to be rented out and people will treat public areas like shit (see my other thread how some people keep parking at my parking space).
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 08:13 AM   #10108
SiRVs up, dude

How do you guys go about finding reputable developers? Are there any forums where I can read about people's experience's with their properties/developers?

I spoke with an inspector a while back and he told me that 80-90% of developers out there have major build issues like the one mentioned in the video, not sure how valid that statement was though
Old 07-10-2017, 08:27 AM   #10109

The majority of the big builders who've been around for a while are fine. Bosa, Onni, metro-can, Urban one, etc.

There is a huge difference between mechanical/electrical/build problems than with finishing details. Doors jamming, nail pops, flex in floor etc. are almost accepted these days because builds go so fast builders rarely have time to go back after a unit has been sitting prior to turn over. Things settle, moisture evaporates, caulking cracks, etc.

Just because people have a mindset that they paid X amount their unit should be absolutely perfect isn't the reality. It's kind of a funny switch of roles in most cases because developers and builders obviously spend the most time going over their most expensive units with a fine tooth comb to make sure they are perfect, when in most cases the people buying the high end units seemingly don't give a shit about the small imperfections that the people buying the lower end units do
Old 07-10-2017, 08:28 AM   #10110
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Quote:
How do you guys go about finding reputable developers? Are there any forums where I can read about people's experience's with their properties/developers?

I spoke with an inspector a while back and he told me that 80-90% of developers out there have major build issues like the one mentioned in the video, not sure how valid that statement was though
Big names tend to be better but still because the work is contracted so is hard to do. Now most of the big name developers do have a slightly higher standards (they might have people check before handing out keys or doing walk ins). It just depends on your unit as well. My have little issue while a co-worker who purchase in the same building the paint wasn't even finish when she did the inspection.
Old 07-10-2017, 08:30 AM   #10111

Outside of people who build a handful of custom homes a year, -everyone- contracts out almost all their work.

Companies like Concorde, bosa etc. have thousands of employees and it's still nearly impossible to not contract out everything. It's the nature of construction and has been forever really. Saying somthing was "contracted out" means nothing.
Old 07-10-2017, 08:39 AM   #10112
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Quote:

thats like asking what used car dealership you should buy from.

I wouldnt personally vouch for any of these developers since its a numbers game and you dont know if tradesman are licensed or came to work sober that day.

Gotta ask your friends and don't feel pressured into buying a presale. Make sure it meets all your criteria since you're the one getting first dibs.

Concorde, Bosa and Concert are some names I heard were "reputable"
Ludepower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 08:39 AM   #10113
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,731 Times in 1,322 Posts
^^

This, low price will get the contract regardless. Developers are cheap, they want there development built for the lowest price possible. Quality is a huge issue, there has been a shift from the subcontractors point of view as well.

I know speaking from my perspective we now have people that do nothing but quality control for our work, they go suite to suite inspecting all our work and signing it off when it's complete and having it fixed where it's not done right. This is something somewhat new, it used to be handled by the general but the large ones are nothing more then paper pushers now. They have almost no skilled labour on the job, it's all pushed off to subs including the items that traditionally used to be done by the GC.

You can have a terrible relationship with the GC, hate each other by the end of the job end up in court and it won't matter because if you're low bidder on the next project you'll get the job. Tower work is such BS, margins are slimmer then slim I'd be very happy if we never did another tower or hotel again unfortunately like the developers the guy who owns the company I work for is also greedy.

Bosa uses mostly Bosa contractors, they have family members that own companies that do almost every subtrade. As an outside Sub you don't want a Bosa or Axiom project because if you get it it's probably because you fucked up your bid so bad that the Bosa companies can't touch your price. They'll gladly let you do there project at a loss.

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I donīt care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. Thatīs how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
quasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 08:56 AM   #10114
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,817 Times in 3,901 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
Doors jamming, nail pops, flex in floor etc. are almost accepted these days because builds go so fast builders rarely have time to go back after a unit has been sitting prior to turn over. Things settle, moisture evaporates, caulking cracks, etc.
accepted by who?

they can't go back after turn-over?

Rarely have time is a sad, sad excuse.

Can you imagine getting dental work done and when you go back with non-major issues and they tell you things settle, bonding crack, etc etc?

Most put their entire life savings at their home, they should be able to get a place that is without faults within the first 5 years minimum.
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-10-2017, 09:12 AM   #10115
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 1,762 Times in 904 Posts
Ahhh boy should be interesting as I'm expecting a call for walk through inspection within the next 2 months. Hondaracer thanks in advance for that sheet you did up last year, I got it saved and should be helpful.

I'm really not sure what mindset I'm going to take going in. Anal as fuck or somewhere in the middle. I've heard all the different stories on both ends and you just never know. I've had some friends bring up something that wasn't exactly a "huge" issue but was an issue none the less and it turned into a much bigger issue when they tried to fix it because they fucked it up even more and eventually took multiple tries and headaches before getting it right. It's like I should have just left it in the first place lol.

I have a feeling if things are generally "ok" I will likely let go of certain things. Stuff like caulk jobs, shit I guarantee my brother in law can do a better job than any person they send so things like that I'd probably be fuck it I'm fixing it myself. Crossing fingers!

GREG ADAMS!! GREG ADAMS!!"
winson604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 09:26 AM   #10116

Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchyzero View Post
accepted by who?

they can't go back after turn-over?

Rarely have time is a sad, sad excuse.

Can you imagine getting dental work done and when you go back with non-major issues and they tell you things settle, bonding crack, etc etc?

Most put their entire life savings at their home, they should be able to get a place that is without faults within the first 5 years minimum.
That's the reality out there. And there are going to be issue no matter what. Serious lssue to us most likely means small things to the contractors or developers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by winson604 View Post
Ahhh boy should be interesting as I'm expecting a call for walk through inspection within the next 2 months. Hondaracer thanks in advance for that sheet you did up last year, I got it saved and should be helpful.

I'm really not sure what mindset I'm going to take going in. Anal as fuck or somewhere in the middle. I've heard all the different stories on both ends and you just never know. I've had some friends bring up something that wasn't exactly a "huge" issue but was an issue none the less and it turned into a much bigger issue when they tried to fix it because they fucked it up even more and eventually took multiple tries and headaches before getting it right. It's like I should have just left it in the first place lol.

I have a feeling if things are generally "ok" I will likely let go of certain things. Stuff like caulk jobs, shit I guarantee my brother in law can do a better job than any person they send so things like that I'd probably be fuck it I'm fixing it myself. Crossing fingers!
When you do the walk through have 2 to 3 people with you. This way while the guy is explaining all the details with you, someone else is checking the unit for fixing. Because they don't give you a lot of time and having more people really helps (I have like my parents, sister and brother in law and barely have enough time). Check all the light swtiches make sure they are eaving and working, check the lightbulbs, amke sure doors locks and is smooth when closing, make sure water runs to the sinks and the bathrub and wahsroom, make sure hardwood floor doesn't have large gaps, windows open and close, cabinets works, stove fridge and ok, walls are painted, the marble top are smooth and no stratches etc etc...... Is ok to put mark more stuff that needs fixing because chances are they will only fix like 20% on the stuff on the list and only the serious stuff.
This post thanked by:
Old 07-10-2017, 10:01 AM   #10117
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,459 Times in 1,126 Posts
A downside of more supply: shoddy workmanship.

Am I out to lunch in thinking that housing stock from 1990s to early 2000s is probably the best bet in terms of used housing?
- No asbestos
- Modern electrical
- Rainscreening
- No PB plumbing
- Old fashioned gas and forced air heating
- Plywood sheathing, plywood subfloors, etc
- Sufficient concrete between floors and suites
- Since the economy was slow, there was probably time to do the construction right
Tapioca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 10:20 AM   #10118
SiRVs up, dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by winson604 View Post
Hondaracer thanks in advance for that sheet you did up last year, I got it saved and should be helpful.
What is this sheet and where can I get it?!
Old 07-10-2017, 10:20 AM   #10119
In RS I Trust

Thanked 17,581 Times in 4,297 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapioca View Post

Am I out to lunch in thinking that housing stock from 1990s to early 2000s is probably the best bet in terms of used housing?
- No asbestos
- Modern electrical
- Rainscreening
- No PB plumbing
- Since the economy was slow, there was probably time to do the construction right
Poly B was used up to 95 so that would be the biggest issue. No question from the 90's to 2000's its going to be more decent but I have seen lots of shitty jobs with those years since a lot of the newer builds were getting pieced together like Lego.

My house was built in 71 and everything is well constructed, no Asbestos, copper plumbing, copper electrical, old growth trees used for the frame and exterior wall. Those were the houses that were made right but need renos now due to the age.

Worst part for that year of course is the single ain alum windows.
murd0c is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-10-2017, 10:27 AM   #10120

Quote:
What is this sheet and where can I get it?!
Here's a link to my google drive:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0e...ew?usp=sharing

Mr.HappySilp - Likely depending on what day it's being done up to 5 people including myself. My brother in law being the major expert as he builds houses and does all the trades for a living. Then my father in law and possibly also father plus myself as the mid level guys and the wife for the super picky and complain about everything person. I think we're covered lol.

Old 07-10-2017, 10:36 AM   #10121
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,459 Times in 1,126 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by murd0c View Post
Poly B was used up to 95 so that would be the biggest issue. No question from the 90's to 2000's its going to be more decent but I have seen lots of shitty jobs with those years since a lot of the newer builds were getting pieced together like Lego.

My house was built in 71 and everything is well constructed, no Asbestos, copper plumbing, copper electrical, old growth trees used for the frame and exterior wall. Those were the houses that were made right but need renos now due to the age.

Worst part for that year of course is the single ain alum windows.
I figured stuff from the 1960s and 1970s would be pretty decent too, aside from aluminium electrical and possible asbestos. Old tech windows are a relatively minor annoyance compared to old electrical, plumbing, or asbestos.

Good to know for our next home purchase.
Tapioca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 01:13 PM   #10122

Winson thanks for uploading it again I've been meaning to for a while now lol
Old 07-10-2017, 01:38 PM   #10123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
Winson thanks for uploading it again I've been meaning to for a while now lol
and thank you for putting in the work and creating it in the first place!

Old 07-10-2017, 09:04 PM   #10124
I don't get it

Whats wrong with pb plumbing? Supposed to be better than copper.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapioca View Post

- No asbestos
- Modern electrical
- Rainscreening
- No PB plumbing
Digitalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 09:32 PM   #10125
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digitalis View Post
Whats wrong with pb plumbing? Supposed to be better than copper.
whats wrong with PB plumbing ?! Do you know what it is at all ?! if you see grey coloured plastic pipe you better hope it doesn't explode any time soon. People spend thousands of dollars to replace those out of their homes.
windchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: