REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 06-04-2013, 11:01 AM   #751
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

Holy smokes

Vancouver penthouse condo sells for $25M - British Columbia - CBC News
Advertisement
kiwee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 10:52 PM   #752
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Economic outlook, analysis and forecasts - Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development

Last edited by Carl Johnson; 06-05-2013 at 10:10 AM.
Carl Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-04-2013, 11:33 PM   #753
resident Oil Guru

Thanked 10,457 Times in 1,794 Posts
What's going on in Korea?
LiquidTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 11:54 PM   #754
resident Oil Guru

Thanked 10,457 Times in 1,794 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4444 View Post
I see you drank the cool aid

Vancouver is still unaffordable, prices have 20-30% to come down, and they will

Thoughts? News propaganda?
LiquidTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 12:46 AM   #755
HELP ME PLS!!!

Holy shit, how much is it to rent in japan? isn't their RE super expensive?
Old 06-05-2013, 01:01 AM   #756
2x Variable Nockenwellen Steuerung

Thanked 1,174 Times in 704 Posts
Depends on where.. however I think the bigger issue with Japan is the death tax on property.. a lot of people cannot afford to live in the house they grew up when their parents had died, due to the tax... it was more than half of the property (something like 3/4 last I checked) is worth at the current rate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonChi View Post
Holy shit, how much is it to rent in japan? isn't their RE super expensive?
godwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 01:50 AM   #757
Say! Say! Say!

Thanked 3,212 Times in 1,397 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidTurbo View Post
What's going on in Korea?
Korea had a housing bust a few years ago. During the early-mid 2000s, people with new money kept flipping properties for profit. That caught on with other Koreans (as does everything else it seems), and soon people were taking out mortgages multiple times their salary. A mixture of speculation with the lack of affordability and oversupply caused housing prices in Seoul to fall 15% within the last five years. As a result, an increasing amount of apartment buildings are left unfinished and/or unsold.

There are actually stories of construction bosses making their employees purchase apartments, and due to the way Korean culture is with loyalty and hierarchy, employees would actually take out mortgages in fear of their careers suffering. It's a catch-22, because now they're all fucked with debt.
Originally Posted by 89blkcivic View Post
Did I tell you guys black is my favourite colour? My Ridgeline is black. My Honda Fit is black. Wish my dick was black........ LOL.
Razor Ramon HG is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-05-2013, 08:58 AM   #758
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,982 Times in 1,135 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwee View Post
Strata fees are 4200 per month!

Oh, and it was on the market for 620 days. I would not buy that place. Its an insane liability. Guess the new owner has enough cash they don't care
Posted via RS Mobile
Gridlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 09:09 AM   #759
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,046 Times in 1,176 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gridlock View Post
Strata fees are 4200 per month!

Oh, and it was on the market for 620 days. I would not buy that place. Its an insane liability. Guess the new owner has enough cash they don't care
Posted via RS Mobile
People like you and I look at condos as either a primary residence, or a source of rental income.

People that buy $25M condos treat them like hotels.
Honest to fucking Christ the easiest way to get a married woman in the mood is clean the house and do the laundry.....I've been with the same girl almost 17 years, ask me how I know. - quasi
Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 09:12 AM   #760
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,785 Times in 2,492 Posts
the $4,200 strata fee/month jumped out at me too.

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 09:48 AM   #761
Banned By Establishment

For your strata fee alone, I could be living in a pretty nice 1 million dollar plus home.

It's Bruce Wayne isn't it? It is. Fucking guy.
This post thanked by:
Old 06-05-2013, 10:19 AM   #762
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

Must be the prince of Dubai that bought the penthouse + the other property mention in the article

For $68K a year I probably can get a decent car!
kiwee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 10:32 AM   #763
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 3,492 Times in 1,176 Posts
I'm not gonna lie...I thought the strata fee would be higher. I've seen some pretty steep strata fees for 700 sq ft condos (5-600$) and comparing it to those fees...$4200 doesn't seem that off for 6400 sq ft.
dinosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-05-2013, 06:31 PM   #764
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,941 Times in 765 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidTurbo View Post
Global = bs propaganda

There's so much that could be wrong with these numbers and stats. I haven't seen anything that would indicate prices are higher yoy - sales are still down in volume, prices are down, long term treasuries are creeping up - mortgage rates will start to follow.

Nothing has changed in this story, regardless of what global wants us to believe

Also, "sold above asking" could mean 'day 1 list at $699k, 1 week later drop price to $649k, sell for $650" - this is sold above asking

Also multiple offers could be 2 lowballs, 1 so-so offer

Read between the lines and don't just take their BS at face value
4444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 08:58 PM   #765
Banned By Establishment

Well, my mom's condo was listed on Monday and I have an offer in hand tonight.

I'd say we priced...aggressively, and the buyer was waiting for a unit at this price range and spec.

Things are moving. I had 3 houses listed for sale at the same time all touching each other...2 are sold within weeks.

The not as much boom right now is more a haircut on price and an extra coat of paint to make it prettier.

We were down about 20% from the property's 2008 high.
Old 06-06-2013, 08:17 AM   #766
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

4 houses ive looked at sold right underneath my nose.
They were all listed for less than 7 days... Seems like you gotta pay asking price and not go in with an aggressive offer
VR6GTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 08:24 AM   #767
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 4,768 Times in 1,750 Posts
Was meeting with my mortgage person the other day, and she told us some other clients of hers were pissed off that some house they were watching on the market sold before they had a chance to go after it.

They told her they still had some hopes becuase the listing status still said "Pending" or something

Turns out it was my house

She told them "Yeah, I'm pretty sure that house is sold"
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-06-2013, 10:06 AM   #768
Banned By Establishment

In my case, we talked to 3 realtors about listing it. They all came with the same price that it would sell for, and we're a bit above it.

They all had the same message...turbulent market right now, don't price aggressively. You have shed some value since 2008, and its come up a bit.

So what you are seeing is "properties", and they all have a different story between townhouse, detached and condo being listed at a more realistic price. So they've done some negotiating for you already. In turn, buyers are wanting a deal right now, so a few more points are taken off for the contract.

So it doesn't surprise me that your 4 houses are being a bit closer to list than you'd like..they already took some of the money off the table when they listed, and don't want to go any further just to make it look like you are getting a deal.

Thats what I said to my offer...to hell if I'm dropping my pants for you, I'm 2 days into this process.
This post thanked by:
Old 06-06-2013, 08:58 PM   #769
Banned By Establishment

Okay...so a few pages back I posted an ad I saw for a condo development in New Westminster called Elliot. The ad said something about the developer paying the mortgage for the first 24 month but had no fine print. I registered for the property, but did not receive anything via email so today, when Grid and I had a free afternoon, we decided to go take a look at the presentation centre. We are not really interested in buying, but more just curious about this 'offer' and the fact that it is being built almost across the street from one of our rental buildings.

Overall, nice layout, nice features, fairly typical materials, better utilization of space than others I have seen, and many features are standard where in other new developments are "upgrades". So basically....we were pretty impressed.

Talked to the sales staff about this 24 month thing, pricing, etc:

You are given two options by the developer to cash-in on this 24 month free living (all these numbers are based on today's interest rate 5-year closed mortgage over 25 years with 20% down).

1- The developer will give you the equivalent of 24 mortgage payments off the purchase price. So, a 1 bedroom (4th floor) is listed at $229,900. 24 months of payments is $21,600...this means your purchase price is $208,300. The 2 bedroom (6th floor) price is $354,900. 24 months is $33,600...final price is $321,300. Townhouse is $429,900 less the mortgage of $40,800 for purchase of $389,100.

This is pretty much what I figured when I read "developer to pay 24 months of mortgage"....HOWEVER, the 2nd option I did NOT expect.

2- You buy the place but do not plan to live in it. The developer will actually pay your strata payment and along with "rent" for 5 years (Dec 2019). Essentially, the developer acts as a property manager. Breakdown:

1 bed: $800\month + $205.66 strata= 1005.66 check in your bank every month for 5 years.
2 bed: $ 1300\month + $308.49= $1508.49 monthly.
Did not get pricing for townhouse.

The developer takes the risk in renting out the suite...if there is no renter, you are still paid. The amount given to you every month is essentially suppose to cover your mortgage payment every month but depending on interest you get and you downpayment you could be rental neg, neut, or pos. Its basically up to you...BUT for 5 years it sits there with someone else managing the tenant.

If at some point you decide you want to live in your place, you just give the tenant proper notice and the developer stops paying you.

If I was going to buy....I'd purchase a 1 bed and go with option 2 or I'd buy and 2 bed and go with option 1. The townhouses were ok, but there is no real benefit...there is no garage or private access so to speak and it is literally ALL windows....nice, but not for street level.

In regards to pricing of the units, I was pretty impressed at the cost. I expected them to be easily be listed about $30,000 more when comparing to others for sale in New West right now. They are pretty on point and if anything, priced a little under even with this 24 month promo thing.

Penthouse is going for mid-$700k and is pretty fucking nice. Epic view and cheaper than some other new development penthouses in the area.

So, interesting incentive they are offering...I wonder if we will see more of these pop up. Was talking to a family member who deals with mortgages, etc and she said this was the first she has heard of such thing (2nd option). I guess the benefit the developer gets with promo 2 is they can rent the apt for more than what they are paying you....after walking through the 1 bed, that thing would easily rent for $1200. The 2 could fetch $2000....but would be much harder to rent.

I'll have to keep my eye out for other interesting incentives.

Last edited by dinosaur; 06-06-2013 at 09:04 PM.
This post thanked by:
Old 06-06-2013, 09:35 PM   #770
UFO
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

So we touched on this a few pages back, but just a general consensus, are realtors getting 'desperate' to make some deals yet?

One of our neighbours listed what I felt was on the higher side of reasonable at 435, hoping to sell at 428, assessed value at about 410. They got a couple of lookie loos, but no interest and zero offers. Their agent recommended them to list at 399 and try to auction it up to their accepted sale price of 428. I've not found out how that strategy worked out, but it seems like they were not overly happy with that agent's approach after the fact, perhaps still not getting the quality bites; I'm guessing they were getting offers below or at the new list price, but not over. They are on a time line though, needing to sell by the end of June, so that can play in quite heavily.
UFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 09:39 PM   #771
Banned By Establishment

^family member just sold their house....listed for 629,000...after a couple weeks, dropped to 619k....they were flooded with showings. Had a 3-way bidding war and sold at 620k.

nothing special...just a random house in need of updates in North Delta.

i wouldn't say "desperate". i think home owners need to stop expecting to make LOADS off their purchase. those days are gone and people need to suck it up and list at an appropriate amount. if you bought in 2007 and are expecting to make a profit from that year, you are fucked.
Old 06-06-2013, 09:45 PM   #772
Banned By Establishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO View Post
So we touched on this a few pages back, but just a general consensus, are realtors getting 'desperate' to make some deals yet?

One of our neighbours listed what I felt was on the higher side of reasonable at 435, hoping to sell at 428, assessed value at about 410. They got a couple of lookie loos, but no interest and zero offers. Their agent recommended them to list at 399 and try to auction it up to their accepted sale price of 428. I've not found out how that strategy worked out, but it seems like they were not overly happy with that agent's approach after the fact, perhaps still not getting the quality bites; I'm guessing they were getting offers below or at the new list price, but not over. They are on a time line though, needing to sell by the end of June, so that can play in quite heavily.
sooooo...whats the question?

Some realtors like to play games. Some are just plain weird people.

Yes, you can take in offers and try to get a bidding war. But you need to know your client, the market and the house. Doesn't sound like this guy understands any of it. Your client is in a rush, your market isn't and the price is average, so the house is too.

Ok. Let's have a 2007 style auction!

Pass.

Maybe its time for tough love that says the house isn't worth 428, or something isn't getting people excited on it.

Sometimes people just want a lot more for their stuff than its worth right now. There are 2 for sale in my mom's former complex that are listed for the prices paid in 2008. They don't get shown. No one looks, meanwhile ours is the 3rd one that sold in the meantime...for a realistic to today price.
Old 06-06-2013, 09:46 PM   #773
UFO
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

^Are agents willing to move off their $$$$ commission structure significantly yet?

Well if you're selling and buying another to live, its not a big deal as I said earlier, things are going to be down across the board generally. If you're hoping to profit on your own property, and lowball and bleed the sellers of your prospective property, I don't think that approach will get you anywhere.

It seems like with our area getting back assessed value would be an accomplishment, if not settling for a bit just below. I don't see 10-15% above anymore that's for sure.
UFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 10:06 AM   #774
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,785 Times in 2,492 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gridlock View Post
Sometimes people just want a lot more for their stuff than its worth right now. There are 2 for sale in my mom's former complex that are listed for the prices paid in 2008. They don't get shown. No one looks, meanwhile ours is the 3rd one that sold in the meantime...for a realistic to today price.
ran in to something like that on our old unit...we wanted it sold and was willing to drop below what competing units were listing it at...by quite a bit...end result, ours was sold while theirs is still listed. sure i would have loved to get it at that listed price but we knew that wasn't going to happen, so we listed at what would get people to come and look and comfortable with putting an offer on.

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 12:14 PM   #775
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dinosaur View Post
Okay...so a few pages back I posted an ad I saw for a condo development in New Westminster called Elliot. The ad said something about the developer paying the mortgage for the first 24 month but had no fine print. I registered for the property, but did not receive anything via email so today, when Grid and I had a free afternoon, we decided to go take a look at the presentation centre. We are not really interested in buying, but more just curious about this 'offer' and the fact that it is being built almost across the street from one of our rental buildings.

Overall, nice layout, nice features, fairly typical materials, better utilization of space than others I have seen, and many features are standard where in other new developments are "upgrades". So basically....we were pretty impressed.

Talked to the sales staff about this 24 month thing, pricing, etc:

You are given two options by the developer to cash-in on this 24 month free living (all these numbers are based on today's interest rate 5-year closed mortgage over 25 years with 20% down).

1- The developer will give you the equivalent of 24 mortgage payments off the purchase price. So, a 1 bedroom (4th floor) is listed at $229,900. 24 months of payments is $21,600...this means your purchase price is $208,300. The 2 bedroom (6th floor) price is $354,900. 24 months is $33,600...final price is $321,300. Townhouse is $429,900 less the mortgage of $40,800 for purchase of $389,100.

This is pretty much what I figured when I read "developer to pay 24 months of mortgage"....HOWEVER, the 2nd option I did NOT expect.

2- You buy the place but do not plan to live in it. The developer will actually pay your strata payment and along with "rent" for 5 years (Dec 2019). Essentially, the developer acts as a property manager. Breakdown:

1 bed: $800\month + $205.66 strata= 1005.66 check in your bank every month for 5 years.
2 bed: $ 1300\month + $308.49= $1508.49 monthly.
Did not get pricing for townhouse.

The developer takes the risk in renting out the suite...if there is no renter, you are still paid. The amount given to you every month is essentially suppose to cover your mortgage payment every month but depending on interest you get and you downpayment you could be rental neg, neut, or pos. Its basically up to you...BUT for 5 years it sits there with someone else managing the tenant.

If at some point you decide you want to live in your place, you just give the tenant proper notice and the developer stops paying you.

If I was going to buy....I'd purchase a 1 bed and go with option 2 or I'd buy and 2 bed and go with option 1. The townhouses were ok, but there is no real benefit...there is no garage or private access so to speak and it is literally ALL windows....nice, but not for street level.

In regards to pricing of the units, I was pretty impressed at the cost. I expected them to be easily be listed about $30,000 more when comparing to others for sale in New West right now. They are pretty on point and if anything, priced a little under even with this 24 month promo thing.

Penthouse is going for mid-$700k and is pretty fucking nice. Epic view and cheaper than some other new development penthouses in the area.

So, interesting incentive they are offering...I wonder if we will see more of these pop up. Was talking to a family member who deals with mortgages, etc and she said this was the first she has heard of such thing (2nd option). I guess the benefit the developer gets with promo 2 is they can rent the apt for more than what they are paying you....after walking through the 1 bed, that thing would easily rent for $1200. The 2 could fetch $2000....but would be much harder to rent.

I'll have to keep my eye out for other interesting incentives.
So what happens if the developer goes bust or goes into bankruptcy? It's definitely an interesting couple of offers but considering how often development companies come and go, I'd be quite hesitant to pull the trigger and expect that deal to stick.
Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote