REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 04-04-2017, 10:57 AM   #9501
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,422 Times in 918 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nah View Post
I don't understand how people are carrying these massive mortgages? It's not living if you're house poor...
A majority of the people purchasing the new apartments already paid off their houses that they bought in the early 2000's. I feel like for a majority of people, housing is the only investments they've ever known. So they mortgage the new apartments with their disposable income and rental income.
Advertisement

2022 Velo N
2005 S2000
2007 CSX Type-S [Sold]
2002 RSX-S [T-Boned]
Gerbs is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-04-2017, 12:04 PM   #9502

Thanked 2,463 Times in 1,127 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerbs View Post
A majority of the people purchasing the new apartments already paid off their houses that they bought in the early 2000's. I feel like for a majority of people, housing is the only investments they've ever known. So they mortgage the new apartments with their disposable income and rental income.
I think the more common route is HELOC on the house for a 20% down payment.

Given what people are prepared to pay for rental housing, you can actually make money or be cash flow neutral with prices approaching $1000/ square foot. Owning real estate is easier to understand than index investing for a lot of people. Real estate is tangible, unlike investing in equities.

If they don't want the rental income, they can assign the unit before it completes and hopefully profit without paying GST.
Tapioca is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-04-2017, 01:01 PM   #9503
linguistic ninja

Thanked 3,378 Times in 1,229 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by originalhypa View Post

I'm seeing the same thing in Langley. Every week I get a mailer from Nu Stream realty and it's written in chinese characters. Houses that sold two years ago, are now on the market again with realtor names like Gina Ho and Chen Tek Yuen. They know their market, and don't care to cater to anyone who is not a part of said market.

I call BS on Hypa's anecdote as this name doesn't make any sense. "Chen" is a Mandarin Transliteration. "Yuen" is a Cantonese one. No idea what "Tek" would be, sounds Fukienese.

So maybe "Chan Tek Yuen" or "Chen Tek Yuan", but not "Chen Tek Yuen"

ergo: Fake Chinese are buying up everything in Vancouver?

also...Gina Ho? is she the one married to Harry Wang?

Still a card carrying member of the SFC :)
CivicBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 01:45 PM   #9504
they call me the snowman

Thanked 3,993 Times in 1,374 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lomac View Post
Spoiler!

Hypa, next time you're in Kamloops, let me know. It's been a while
great views of what will be a great city one day. They have the infrastructure, a big hospital, and a few head offices already. It's only a matter of time before Kamloops grows up to be a big city.

I'll drop you a line when I'm there. It would be cool to grab a beer and reminisce.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CivicBlues View Post
I call BS on Hypa's anecdote as this name doesn't make any sense. "Chen" is a Mandarin Transliteration. "Yuen" is a Cantonese one. No idea what "Tek" would be, sounds Fukienese.

My generic names just couldn't get past you!

originalhypa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 02:45 PM   #9505

Thanked 2,463 Times in 1,127 Posts
It looks like some numbers from March have come out:

Vancouver Real Estate Condo & Townhouse Report March 2017

Also noteworthy is that condos in Whalley are now at a 99% sales to listing ratio with multiple offers now commonplace.

The conversation in this thread has largely turned to how people are planning their exit from Vancouver. But, judging from the activity, people just keep coming and people keep wanting to stay.
Tapioca is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-04-2017, 02:47 PM   #9506
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,337 Times in 5,647 Posts
Wonder what my dump would have sold for now as opposed to last year
Old 04-04-2017, 03:42 PM   #9507
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Quote:

I think it's Chan Lap Tak. Lol
hi-revs is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-05-2017, 02:31 PM   #9508
I don't get it

Where's the Y Axis for context?
ssjGoku69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 02:57 PM   #9509
Zombie Mod

Thanked 5,169 Times in 1,551 Posts
Y-axis is Sales:Active ratio.
Old 04-05-2017, 05:30 PM   #9510
in the butt

Thanked 3,220 Times in 1,183 Posts
He is asking what the # at the bottom vs top is, not what it is
donk. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 06:42 PM   #9511
RS Veteran

Thanked 5,024 Times in 1,083 Posts
Interesting reading about Kamloops and other areas creeping up in price. I believe money made in Vancouver RE is flowing out into the rest of the province. I have witnessed buyers from the lower mainland pickup detached homes in Victoria for well over ask recently.

This week my coworker listed his 2009 3 bed 3 bath with detached double garage with suite above it. 1183 Parkdale Creek Gardens in West Hills development in Langford. Practically next to the new Belmont High School. YMCA and shopping a few mins drive.

List price $639,900.

5 days, 12 offers later it sold for $755,000 to a buyer from Vancouver likely sight unseen.

1998 Acura Integra Type R #0635
2017 Honda Civic Type R #01818
TouringTeg is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-05-2017, 07:08 PM   #9512
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 4,802 Times in 1,765 Posts
Fuck me, I couldn't imagine living in westhills let alone paying that much for one of those cookie-cutter "houses so close you can hear your neighbor fart" neighborhoods.
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 07:20 PM   #9513
Waxin’ Punks

Thanked 6,043 Times in 2,076 Posts
I have a few friends who cashed out of the lower mainland and moved away so that doesn't surprise me at all. Have a few friends still considering Kamloops as well. i couldn't do Kamloops myself but Victoria is a place I'd consider for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG1 View Post
punkwax, I don't care what your friends say about you, you are gold!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemhg View Post
What do your farts sound like then?
punkwax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 08:52 PM   #9514
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

30 year old condos around downtown nearing $1000 sq ft.
Krusty clark imposing foreign buyers tax and then handing out first-time buyers loans has created more a clusterfock.
Nothing is stopping this runaway train.
Ludepower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 09:41 PM   #9515
nah
My homepage has been set to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludepower View Post
30 year old condos around downtown nearing $1000 sq ft.
Krusty clark imposing foreign buyers tax and then handing out first-time buyers loans has created more a clusterfock.
Nothing is stopping this runaway train.
She doesn't care, she just wants that extra 4 years of government money. She won't care that these people that are just getting by and propped up by the loan, won't be able to pay back the loan and their mortgage in 5 years. So many people are being setup for failure by this government.
nah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 08:51 AM   #9516
they call me the snowman

Thanked 3,993 Times in 1,374 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nah View Post
She doesn't care, she just wants that extra 4 years of government money. She won't care that these people that are just getting by and propped up by the loan, won't be able to pay back the loan and their mortgage in 5 years. So many people are being setup for failure by this government.
I really hope that the voters remember everything negative that she did when May rolls around. I've been a life long Liberal, but the last 8 years have me thinking that I need to support someone else.

It helps that I can't stand that horrible woman...
originalhypa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 09:04 AM   #9517

Liberals will win by double digits.

Like her or not at least christy seemingly has a plan. NDP has nothing. I'm more concerned with voting gregor out than Clark
Old 04-06-2017, 09:11 AM   #9518
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

I still don't understand how Vancouverites keep voting Mayor Moonbeam back in to office?
2008 Mercedes C300
2012 Ford F-150 XLT
2014 Ford F-150 FX4 - Current
1999 Chevy Trailblazer
2008 Range Rover Sport Supercharged
2015 Honda Civic Coupe EX-L
2018 Honda HR-V Touring
2019 Audi A4 Technik - Current
2012 Porsche 911 Targa 4 - Current

1995 Kawasaki ZX-6R
2005 Yamaha R6 - RIP
2006 Yamaha R6 50th Anniversary Edition - Current

IG: G_SPYDER91
604STIG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 09:17 AM   #9519
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 604STIG View Post
I still don't understand how Vancouverites keep voting Mayor Moonbeam back in to office?
coz there are on one else that's good enough to kick him out?
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 09:24 AM   #9520
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 2,779 Times in 1,173 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by originalhypa View Post
I really hope that the voters remember everything negative that she did when May rolls around. I've been a life long Liberal, but the last 8 years have me thinking that I need to support someone else.

It helps that I can't stand that horrible woman...
Here's the thing... my local BC Liberal MLA has been around for a while and he's a confirmed jack-hole.

But when the NDP calls you and goes "Vote NDP... but uh, we don't have a candidate running yet! Soon though!" that kind of puts you off voting for them.
fml
roastpuff is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-06-2017, 11:50 AM   #9521
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,814 Times in 2,502 Posts
Quote:
No idea what "Tek" would be, sounds Fukienese.
you remember the fukinenese brothers huh...

...lets not forget...

Spoiler!

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-06-2017, 05:23 PM   #9522
RS Veteran

Thanked 5,024 Times in 1,083 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Great68 View Post
Fuck me, I couldn't imagine living in westhills let alone paying that much for one of those cookie-cutter "houses so close you can hear your neighbor fart" neighborhoods.
Bought my first house in West Hills for $455k and lived there for a few years. 3 bed 2 bath up and 2 bed 1 bath suite down. Prob worth around 600-650k now.

I hated the density and commute. I couldn't wait to get out of there. My wife liked the amenities of Langford and she didn't have to deal with the commute.

We kept it as a rental when we bought a house in Saanich.

1998 Acura Integra Type R #0635
2017 Honda Civic Type R #01818
TouringTeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 08:08 PM   #9523
My homepage has been set to RS

Anyone else notice the mass amounts of land lot assembles? In my neighbor hood alone. There is at least 4-5 spots, with multiple houses bought up. On sale for investors.

Personally. I think all the sales and how well the market is doing is all hype. Driven by the real estate companies in a way for them to continue to make $$$. Seems to me the majority of the sales are investors purchasing for resale (rebuilding houses or condensing them into assemble lots)

Basically scaring people into buying overpriced condos/townhouses. Since they can't afford the 1m+ houses

That being said. I think the housing prices may stay relatively flat or dip a bit.. BUT the condo/apartment market is waaaay inflated. There is so much space to build more towers and townhousing. It hard to fathom that the prices will stay that high. Especially when there are hundreds of high density buildings being built up
MelonBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 09:43 AM   #9524
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 4,802 Times in 1,765 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TouringTeg View Post
Bought my first house in West Hills for $455k and lived there for a few years. 3 bed 2 bath up and 2 bed 1 bath suite down. Prob worth around 600-650k now.

I hated the density and commute. I couldn't wait to get out of there. My wife liked the amenities of Langford and she didn't have to deal with the commute.

We kept it as a rental when we bought a house in Saanich.
Yeah, when we were house hunting Langford wasn't even a consideration. With both my wife and I working out at Keating there was no way I wanted to do Crawl + Peninsula every day.
Granted I could have had a bigger & newer house for the same money, I'd rather have the bigger lot that I have now with the closer proximity to work. (I'm around Marigold). As a bonus, my work is moving to Glanford/Vanalman so soon I'll be able to walk the 1.8Km to work, almost directly by pedestrian trail. Woot!
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 10:04 AM   #9525

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelonBoy View Post
Anyone else notice the mass amounts of land lot assembles? In my neighbor hood alone. There is at least 4-5 spots, with multiple houses bought up. On sale for investors.

Personally. I think all the sales and how well the market is doing is all hype. Driven by the real estate companies in a way for them to continue to make $$$. Seems to me the majority of the sales are investors purchasing for resale (rebuilding houses or condensing them into assemble lots)

Basically scaring people into buying overpriced condos/townhouses. Since they can't afford the 1m+ houses

That being said. I think the housing prices may stay relatively flat or dip a bit.. BUT the condo/apartment market is waaaay inflated. There is so much space to build more towers and townhousing. It hard to fathom that the prices will stay that high. Especially when there are hundreds of high density buildings being built up
In theory, land assemblies should be making "homes" more affordable as the only way to increase affordability is to increase density. However, when a developer buys 5 houses in a row for 1.5-2.5 each, and then builds 10 units on the same land, they probably arent going to be selling the multi family units for 600-700.

Over the next 10 years will be interesting as both Brentwood and Lougheed developments are realized. an aditional 30-40 towers in those areas adding literally thousands of units to inventory.

If in 10 years these developments are still seeing lineups and sold out pre-sales, it's pretty safe to assume nothing short of a 9.9 earthquake is gonna tank this market.

I stand firmly by my theory in that, until a 3000 sq foot house on a 7000 sq foot lot in chilliwack is under $800,000 you're not going to see any sort of fall in prices in the lower mainland. The closer to the city you are, the less susceptible you are to a drop in price imo.

shit is bonk my niggas