REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 02-19-2019, 04:55 PM   #14001
My homepage has been set to RS

Seems fairly accurate at least for the area I live in. Seen a lot of apts in my building and posted for sale under their initial purchase price which is also under the bc assessment value. Not sure if it's an indicator of prices dropping or trying to start a bidding war. However those apts have been sitting for awhile now over 2-3 months now.
Advertisement

feedback
iPee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 06:03 AM   #14002
Pull Out Towing. Women rescued for free.

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,283 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by iPee View Post
Seems fairly accurate at least for the area I live in. Seen a lot of apts in my building and posted for sale under their initial purchase price which is also under the bc assessment value. Not sure if it's an indicator of prices dropping or trying to start a bidding war. However those apts have been sitting for awhile now over 2-3 months now.
Definitely won't deny that there has been some slow down in the market since May.
But keep in mind, typically Dec-March are the slowest months of the year when it comes to real estate. Generally, once the weather improves, people will start thinking about RE again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu1413 View Post
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
SumAznGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 12:08 PM   #14003
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

We just purchased in South Surrey! I've been actively hunting for the last year, prices have been on a definite steady decline, I was just waiting for the right house to come up and it finally did. Looking forward to getting the keys in the next month.

Thanks to all who have posted in this thread, when I asked for some detailed info my PM box was very quick full of messages from those willing to help, it is most appreciated and helped me make my decision/learn more about the market.
nismodrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 12:52 PM   #14004
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nismodrifter View Post
We just purchased in South Surrey! I've been actively hunting for the last year, prices have been on a definite steady decline, I was just waiting for the right house to come up and it finally did. Looking forward to getting the keys in the next month.

Thanks to all who have posted in this thread, when I asked for some detailed info my PM box was very quick full of messages from those willing to help, it is most appreciated and helped me make my decision/learn more about the market.
Congratulations! What was the difference from buying last year to this year over in south surrey. Did you end up with a nice detached home? I like south surrey especially that area where walmart, the strip mall, etc are
Acurapinoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 02:09 PM   #14005
#savethemanuals

Thanked 2,551 Times in 950 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nismodrifter View Post

Congratulations! If you don't already have a lawyer to handle your transaction send me a pm
Energy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 03:58 PM   #14006
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 1,727 Times in 894 Posts
Prices are definitely lower than last year, I've seen a few units that was just bought late 2017, early 2018 and people are listing them for like $60k under what they paid for it. Not sure what strategy they are going for but there's not enough demand to push it $100k over asking just to break even.
JDMDreams is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-20-2019, 06:25 PM   #14007
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,422 Times in 918 Posts
I've been following DT Condos. They seem to be pretty stable. Only drops of 1 - 5%

2022 Velo N
2005 S2000
2007 CSX Type-S [Sold]
2002 RSX-S [T-Boned]
Gerbs is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-20-2019, 07:54 PM   #14008

Yea..the drops are definitely more based on location/condition of the home/buyer overpaying last year due to a bidding war or are just rich foreign buyers haha. But the nice ones definitely still sell well
Old 03-04-2019, 09:22 AM   #14009
RS Veteran

Thanked 5,024 Times in 1,083 Posts
Good news for buyers. 10% drop year over year. We already know prices are softening in many areas.

Similar story over here in Victoria. Lots of for sale signs and properties moving slowly.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...041727?cmp=rss

1998 Acura Integra Type R #0635
2017 Honda Civic Type R #01818
TouringTeg is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-04-2019, 10:16 AM   #14010

Great to see. Hopefully people who want to buy can finally buy soon rather than renting, etc
This post thanked by:
Old 03-04-2019, 10:19 AM   #14011
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 4,799 Times in 1,763 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TouringTeg View Post
Good news for buyers. 10% drop year over year. We already know prices are softening in many areas.

Similar story over here in Victoria. Lots of for sale signs and properties moving slowly.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...041727?cmp=rss
House about 5 doors down from mine sold over latest assessment within a few weeks of listing, that was in November. Don't know what it's initial listing price was and if/how much it dropped from there.
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 10:31 AM   #14012

Thanked 2,616 Times in 899 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchyzero View Post
pretty obvious the comments you read were directed at secondary residences in urban centres (Kelowna, Vancouver, Victoria)

not an inaccessible cabin that doesn't have water and electricity
Seniors with unrentable homes in Belcarra, B.C., face huge speculation tax bills
Quote:

Seniors with unrentable homes in Belcarra, B.C., face huge speculation tax bills

Mayor says Finance Minister Carole James has rejected his community’s attempts to be exempt

Seniors who own rustic cabins in a remote area near Vancouver say they face thousands of dollars in speculation taxes even though their properties are not suitable rental homes.

Retired school teacher Charline Robson says she lives in a basement suite in Burnaby but now faces a $6,000 speculation tax bill this year because the rustic cabin she inherited in the village of Belcarra is empty much of the year and not up for rent.

Robson, who says she already pays annual property taxes for the cabin of about $12,000, was at the legislature on Tuesday, calling the tax ridiculous because her cabin is not insulated and does not have water, sewer or street service.

Opposition Liberal Leader Andrew Wilkinson says the Belcarra seniors are not property speculators, but they face the tax because their roughly finished cabins are not on the rental market.

Belcarra Mayor Neil Belenkie says efforts to exempt his community from the tax have been rejected by Finance Minister Carole James.

The NDP government introduced the speculation and vacancy tax to reduce the number of empty homes in most B.C. urban areas.

The Canadian Press
https://www.abbynews.com/business/se...ion-tax-bills/
Old 03-06-2019, 07:53 PM   #14013
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,822 Times in 3,903 Posts
well i did say the comments were not directed at
Quote:
an inaccessible cabin that doesn't have water and electricity
OK, why is a retiree paying $1000 in property taxes on a dumpy shack as a second home in the first place? isn't there seniors discount? why not sell if it's unsustainable even before this tax was introduced?
twitchyzero is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 08:26 PM   #14014

Thanked 31,165 Times in 7,156 Posts
Excellent sob story.
"I inherited a 1.5 million dollar property with a shed on it and I can't afford the taxes. I also live in a basement suite and cant afford vacations."
TRY FUCKING SELLING IT AND YOU CAN AFFORD A FUCKING THOUSAND VACATIONS. Lead a horse to water but you cant make it drink.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-06-2019, 09:41 PM   #14015
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
Quote:
well i did say the comments were not directed at

OK, why is a retiree paying $1000 in property taxes on a dumpy shack as a second home in the first place? isn't there seniors discount? why not sell if it's unsustainable even before this tax was introduced?
Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
Excellent sob story.
"I inherited a 1.5 million dollar property with a shed on it and I can't afford the taxes. I also live in a basement suite and cant afford vacations."
TRY FUCKING SELLING IT AND YOU CAN AFFORD A FUCKING THOUSAND VACATIONS. Lead a horse to water but you cant make it drink.
Maybe no else wanted to buy it? Would you buy it for 1.5m?1m or 40k?
What if it have some special memory that you had and you really don't want to sell it? I am sure there are lot's of special things like that we have in our life and we rather not let go unless we have to. The couple was doing fine till this tax came in. The least the gov could do is exempt the tax on cases like these.

I mean honestly with no water, no power and no net who else would rent it? Is pretty common sense yet the gov can't see it.
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 10:11 PM   #14016

sorry if you think we should sympathize for someone who inherited a property that has enough value to be assessed 12k in property tax, the article is not telling us the full story

i take it Happy has not wandered around belcarra

this is not some remote place 5 hours north of here, it's 15 min from coquitlam centre
Old 03-06-2019, 10:16 PM   #14017
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,325 Times in 5,641 Posts
Borrow on the equity then. The lot alone obviously has some value
Old 03-06-2019, 10:29 PM   #14018
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Quote:
sorry if you think we should sympathize for someone who inherited a property that has enough value to be assessed 12k in property tax, the article is not telling us the full story

i take it Happy has not wandered around belcarra

this is not some remote place 5 hours north of here, it's 15 min from coquitlam centre
Again would you want to rent this place then? Remember it have no power, and no running water and no internet. Would anyone want to rent this place in its current condition? I know I wouldn't. Try taking a shower when there is no hot water or sleeping in when there are no heat.

Cabin like these should really not be paying the vacancy tax coz is not going to get rented out for more than a month of two in the summer.

This whole vacancy tax doesn't help at all with the low rental inventory we have is just a cash grab for the gov. If the gov does care about it they would start building rental apartments like a lot of Asian country did already. And find out why people would rather be paying extra tax than to rent out their place. Maybe coz the RTB tenancy law and policy favors tenant too much? I mean I can't even kick a tenant out if they don't pay their rent. It takes months and months to get the ball rolling. Even if RTB rule in favor of the landlord you still can't kick our tenant kick. Instead you have to hire someone to kick them and put their stuff in storage. All of these cost have to be paid by a landlord. Also limiting on how much people can raise their rent? Is their place why can't they raise it how much they want? If it is too much no one will rent it and landlord have to lower their rent? Do you see the gov forcing ISP, cell phone providers limiting on how much they can increase their price? Give landlord more power, more tools to work with to kick out bad tenants and maybe more people are willing to rent their place out.

Last edited by Mr.HappySilp; 03-06-2019 at 10:36 PM.
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 03-06-2019, 10:53 PM   #14019
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 3,855 Times in 889 Posts
bobbinka is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-07-2019, 12:13 AM   #14020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.HappySilp View Post
If the gov does care about it they would start building rental apartments like a lot of Asian country did already.
with what land anywhere remotely close to a major transit hub?

this is not China (yet..sadly), you can't just grease a group of peasants/parcelowners, raze their teardowns and erect 30 towers in a few months. there are codes and permits.

back to the example, you're too focused on the new vacancy tax, how it's in rental condition etc... just temporarily remove all that from the equation, my point is why does a retiree living in a basement suite pay so much property tax on a cabin in the first place? how does that make any sense unless there's pretty important details conveniently left out

yeah more taxes is never fun, but cue sad piano music because you inherited a massive lot in a quiet community by the water 15 minutes from a major hub, if it's that unfortunate of a predicament she should trade places with the families that squeeze in a studio unit paying 1800/mo that's stuck renting there for good...it's like the small minority wanting to voice their complaint they can no longer keep their hks excsausht when a good chunk can't really bare even the increase in insurance year after year

yeah, it's a tax grab, a tax that will go directly to affordable housing that you're saying they're not doing enough about

Last edited by twitchyzero; 03-07-2019 at 12:29 AM.
This post thanked by:
Old 03-07-2019, 06:38 AM   #14021

https://www.cbc.ca/amp/1.5044828

Im actually curious what would happen if rates go down. They should’ve never hiked it 5 times in such a short time lol
Old 03-07-2019, 07:15 AM   #14022

Thanked 4,799 Times in 1,763 Posts
Quote:
It's 15 min from coquitlam centre
Can you drive a boat from coquitlam center?
Because most of the properties referenced in the article are water access only.

Quote:
if it's that unfortunate of a predicament she should trade places with the families that squeeze in a studio unit paying 1800/mo that's stuck renting there for good..
I don't think you get it. Those families aren't going to benefit from a no-electricity, no running water, water-access only, cabin in Belcarra.
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions

Last edited by Great68; 03-07-2019 at 03:10 PM.
Great68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 07:56 AM   #14023
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,022 Times in 450 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acurapinoy View Post
https://www.cbc.ca/amp/1.5044828

Im actually curious what would happen if rates go down. They should’ve never hiked it 5 times in such a short time lol
You should be more curious about what happens if and when we enter a recession and the BOC runs out of weapons to stimulate the economy.
Spoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 11:09 AM   #14024

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
You should be more curious about what happens if and when we enter a recession and the BOC runs out of weapons to stimulate the economy.
I wonder when that will happen. Seems like we are getting pretty close to the point of no return.
Old 03-07-2019, 11:44 AM   #14025

Thanked 2,463 Times in 1,127 Posts
BC has the strongest economy in the country and will likely be able to weather the storm. It's never been a better time to be a job-seeker in this province, particularly in the Lower Mainland where mid to senior positions are hard to staff.

The issue for the BoC is that they can't make decisions based on one province's economy.

People are waiting on the sidelines, but millennials are hitting their mid-30s and hitting their peak earning years. For all of the flack that Andrew Wilkinson took after his "wacky years" comments about renting, he is right that people eventually want stability in their housing situation. Taxpayers are not yet willing to elect governments that will dedicate substantial sums to building subsidized rental housing. Eventually, something has to give - these millennials will either become reluctant owners themselves or they will move en-masse to cheaper areas of the country. If I were a betting person, I would put my money on the former.
Tapioca is offline   Reply With Quote