REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 10-19-2020, 07:55 AM   #16501
private modder

Thanked 2,652 Times in 741 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIC_BAWS View Post
They did a security audit and found out that the developer cheaped out on a lot of stuff where it's a huge security concern.
This is common, all developers do this.

RCMP has told us it's common for thieves to target new builds because they know the security measures are often limited.

Our strata was repeatedly targeted by break-ins in the first year. Upgrading security was declared an emergency by the council and had to spend part of the CRF to make upgrades.
Advertisement
Eff-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 08:31 AM   #16502
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,731 Times in 1,322 Posts
Not surprised on quality issues, residential construction goes so cheap unless you're one of those subcontractors that works on huge volume (like 15+ towers a year) it's not even worth doing. The guys working on these projects in the lower mainland (at least our trade) are the cheapest of the cheap which you honestly have to do to have any shot of getting the project done on budget.

We don't do a lot of it in the lower mainland like maybe 1 every 4 or 5 years and almost every time we do the owner of the company I work for is reaching into his jeans to finish the job because it's such a fucking shit show. I don't really understand why he bothers to be honest.

The island is usually better pricing but even that can be a challenge, we're currently finishing up 3 towers there right now two of them we'll probably get out even not making a dime one he's got to kick in over a million to finish......

I prefer commercial or hospitals, way less volatile than that shit show known as residential towers.

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I donīt care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. Thatīs how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
quasi is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-19-2020, 08:50 AM   #16503
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,463 Times in 1,127 Posts
Late 90s and early 2000s is probably the sweet spot for housing here:
- Rainscreening
- Modern electrical
- Pex plumbing
- No asbestos
- Higher likelihood of plywood subflooring and sheathing
- More open layouts and larger windows
Tapioca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 10:01 AM   #16504
Head of HR....have a seat on that couch

Thanked 15,586 Times in 4,318 Posts
Last week, I spoke with a guy who bought a TH in PoCo this spring, that was an ex-growop in 2010. Because it was flagged as such, he picked it up 15% under market value. Not long after, BC Assessment contacted him, asking why he bought it so cheap. When he told them it was flagged as such, they said that it was recently lifted and and future sales need not note that, in its history. So basically his property value rose 15%.

Anyone know if this applies, across the board? My parents place is an ex-growop from the early 2000's and if this is true, would significantly increase their property value.

Originally posted by v.b.
can we stop, my pussy hurts...
Originally posted by asian_XL
fliptuner, I am gonna grab ur dick and pee in your face, then rub shit all over my face...:lol
Originally posted by Fei-Ji
haha i can taste the cum in my mouth
Originally posted by FastAnna
when I was 13 I wanted to be a video hoe so bad

RSUV #7
fliptuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 03:04 PM   #16505

Thanked 2,422 Times in 918 Posts
What is the maintenance on a fridge built into the wall lol

2022 Velo N
2005 S2000
2007 CSX Type-S [Sold]
2002 RSX-S [T-Boned]
Gerbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 05:27 PM   #16506
Need to Seek Professional Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerbs View Post
What is the maintenance on a fridge built into the wall lol
It's not the maintenance. Let's say something stops working and they need to check the back of the fridge. It's going to be very difficult to address since the fridge is built into your cabinets and they just can't slide it out. Also, good luck with your cabinets since they'll likely suffer some damage along the way.
Alpine is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-19-2020, 05:34 PM   #16507
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 4,069 Times in 1,253 Posts
lol and good luck buying the same size again 10 years down the road

Quote:
MG1: in fact, a new term needs to make its way into the American dictionary. Trump............ he's such a "Trump" = ultimate insult. Like, "yray, you're such a trump."
bcrdukes yray fucked bcrdukes up the nose

dapperfied yraisis
dapperfied yray so waisis

FastAnna you literally talk out your ass
FastAnna i really cant
FastAnna yray i cant stand you
yray is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-19-2020, 05:38 PM   #16508
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,340 Times in 5,649 Posts
Well the fridge had to get in there to begin with so there must be a couple panels which you can remove to access it.
Old 10-19-2020, 06:05 PM   #16509
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,923 Times in 3,876 Posts
^ depends if it was installed by someone who was thinking of that.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 09:20 PM   #16510
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Quote:
Originally Posted by yray View Post
lol and good luck buying the same size again 10 years down the road
Rich people problems. Everyone is switching over to built ins for new builds.

Seamless, clean and modern looking.
Ludepower is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-19-2020, 11:36 PM   #16511
GS8
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 7,279 Times in 1,968 Posts
I live in a 3 year old Bosa building. I'm the second tenant and in my time here, the quality has held up but I can't say if any repairs were done in the first couple of years and I've only been here just over 1 year. I also have one of those cabinet fridges. It fits seamlessly into the rest of the cabinets. It's hard to determine what comes out. Might require special tools. I don't know nor do I care. It's not me who'll pay when something inevitably happens to it.

These new layouts are comical and the builds overall are clinical and depressing. I wouldn't complain as much if they weren't overpriced for what you got. Each new tower going up is like a monolith from 2001. Crushing what lay dominant before.

Of course, being demovicted, I got to see both sides of it to which I found repulsive yet in line with conventional norms.

They build so fast, the quality will not hold up. Like new cars, appliances, etc, these new buildings won't age well and are probably designed to fail at the expense of the owners' pockets.

EDIT: These new builds are purpose built to be rental units. Let's not kid ourselves.
GS8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 06:51 AM   #16512

Ironically (or not) when i worked at Trump the finishing quality was amazing..

Building high rises is pretty straight forward and for the most part all major builders have good systems in place which enables speedy builds as opposed to cutting corners etc.

While i dont work in construction anymore, high rises are very straight forward in terms of plumbing and electrical. Finishing details and final prep in things like levelling floors, etc. is where you will see the "rush"

I've said it before but unfortunately if you're buying a studio, 1BR, etc "lower end" unit within the build, even though you're paying rediculous prices, you're not going to get the finishing you'd expect for the price. And this is just due to the trickle down effect of taking lowest bids, cost overruns, etc.
Old 10-20-2020, 08:23 AM   #16513

Electrical and plumbing can be straightforward on paper since most buildings are now designed to maximize square footage rather than aesthetic needs.

Considering that water damage is a major source of insurance claims, the issue I would be concerned is the quality of the pipes in new construction. It may be UL listed stuff builders use, but the fittings and shut offs are where corners can be cut. Perhaps the grade of copper used at crucial points in the system could be a long term issue as well given the rising prices of copper.
Old 10-20-2020, 07:24 PM   #16514
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

https://bc.ctvnews.ca/overdose-preve...ncil-1.5153569

https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/vanc...ss-acquisition

+ They want to approve more tent cities.

Ffs, I cant wait for this dumbass mayor to leave along with the rest of the council. Thanks spending our tax dollars and turning DT Vancouver and surrounding areas into a cesspool.

Master plan to reduce housing price in this area cause no one will want to live here in the long run???
BlackV62K2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 07:30 AM   #16515
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,814 Times in 2,502 Posts
@hondaracer i thought you were still in construction, just in the office

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 07:58 AM   #16516

Nah left the industry completely
Old 10-21-2020, 12:09 PM   #16517
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,815 Times in 341 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapioca View Post
- Rainscreening
- Modern electrical
- Pex plumbing
- No asbestos
Mostly. I just bought a house in Poco. Built in 1998. It still had poly-b piping =(

2018 Golf R MK7.5 (Daily)
2001 S2000 (Weekend Warrior)
1991 Merc 300 TE-24 AMG Estate - Sold
2005 STi - Sold
1987 AE86 GTS - Sold
1986 AE86 GTS - Sold
gilly is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-22-2020, 12:14 PM   #16518

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilly View Post
Mostly. I just bought a house in Poco. Built in 1998. It still had poly-b piping =(
That sucks. My understanding is that it wasn't removed from the code until 1998, though I figured most builders would have transitioned to Pex after 1996.

We're replacing our entire house with Rehau Pex right now.
Old 10-22-2020, 01:02 PM   #16519
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 4,532 Times in 1,519 Posts
Quote:
- Rainscreening
- Modern electrical
- Pex plumbing
- No asbestos
Note on electrical, aluminum wiring is a pain in the ass. Even if you make it safe by a certified electrician, insurance still doesn't like that. Moral of the story, don't buy any place with aluminum wiring or if you are, rewire the whole thing from top to bottom.
|| RIP 02 E46 M3 | Carbon Black | 6MT ||
BIC_BAWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 02:23 PM   #16520
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Quote:
That sucks. My understanding is that it wasn't removed from the code until 1998, though I figured most builders would have transitioned to Pex after 1996.

We're replacing our entire house with Rehau Pex right now.
I hope the plumbers are using copper crimp rings, not the China pex black rings. Depending on the locations of the joints, the black rings are prone to corrosion if there's a heavy presence of humidity.

That's why I went with wirsbo pex and fittings for my whole house. Less chance of an un-crimped connection and the joints only gets stronger over time.
-"--"-
Doubl3_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 09:33 PM   #16521

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doubl3_H View Post
I hope the plumbers are using copper crimp rings, not the China pex black rings. Depending on the locations of the joints, the black rings are prone to corrosion if there's a heavy presence of humidity.

That's why I went with wirsbo pex and fittings for my whole house. Less chance of an un-crimped connection and the joints only gets stronger over time.
We specifically paid more for a company that would use copper crimps and fittings and North American sourced shut offs to reduce chances of failure.
Old 10-27-2020, 03:49 PM   #16522

Does anyone have investment properties out in Langley or Calgary? Looking for rental units that cash flow.

2022 Velo N
2005 S2000
2007 CSX Type-S [Sold]
2002 RSX-S [T-Boned]
Old 10-27-2020, 05:06 PM   #16523
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 1,727 Times in 894 Posts
What do you mean by cash flow, it's gonna be tough as prices are high vs rental demand. how much are you spending to purchase it? I doubt you can get $1500 based on current situations without spending at least $400k and I would say $2000 is near top end, furnished in those areas unless you have more than one bedroom. Which again is tough if you have a small budget.
JDMDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-27-2020, 05:20 PM   #16524

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDMDreams View Post
What do you mean by cash flow, it's gonna be tough as prices are high vs rental demand. how much are you spending to purchase it? I doubt you can get $1500 based on current situations without spending at least $400k and I would say $2000 is near top end, furnished in those areas unless you have more than one bedroom. Which again is tough if you have a small budget.
By cash flow, I am talking rent covering the mortgage, strata, condo insurance, vacancy, property tax, and utilities. More common in rural cities than A list cities. The closest thing I could find locally was in Kelowna. That's why I was wondering if anyone had properties outside of Vancouver. Was wondering if it's difficult to manage even with property management.

2022 Velo N
2005 S2000
2007 CSX Type-S [Sold]
2002 RSX-S [T-Boned]
Old 10-27-2020, 05:48 PM   #16525
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

looking to purchase a property with significant other, we're currently living in my 1 bdr downtown and looking to move. I have about 55% of the assessed value paid off. I'm hesitant to sell as the assessed value has dropped $100k this year, many units are up for sale in same building and I'd take a significant haircut. Will banks lend a significant portion against a second mortgage?

need a bigger space and would like to leave downtown

for those that have been in similar situation or can provide insight:
would you
a) sell at a loss
b) finance a second mortgage and rent out existing property
c) rent out existing property and move into larger rental unit
d) stay in existing 1bdr for awhile longer and build up more equity
e) other
m4k4v4li is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: