REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 05-24-2020, 10:42 PM   #15576
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,824 Times in 3,904 Posts
the amount of people that think everything east of cambie or boundary is mars blows my mind

quite the overlap with those that hardly steps out of vancouver and when they do it's like vegas or mexico
Advertisement
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-24-2020, 10:42 PM   #15577
Banned (ABWS)?

Thanked 3,985 Times in 1,690 Posts
Is seeing parents often something that is considered "normal" for a lot of you that have moved out (and married if that changes the situation)?

I know friends who see their parents every weekend. But I probably only see mine maybe once a month, if even. Now with the pandemic, I haven't seen them in like 3 months... And we live about 20 mins away.
Last edited by AzNightmare; Today at 10:09 AM
AzNightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 11:02 PM   #15578
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 1,057 Times in 429 Posts
^Yes i see my parents pretty often, maybe 2 times a week which will now probably be 5 times a week since i dont trust to put my kid into day care.

I moved to Surrey 3 years ago, and i went from seeing my Vancouver friends 2-3 times a week to maybe seeing them if im lucky once a month. Of course i have to go to Vancouver cause apparently Surrey is too far for them. But Surrey to Van isnt far...............

Last edited by RiceIntegraRS; 05-24-2020 at 11:07 PM.
RiceIntegraRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 04:02 AM   #15579
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,512 Times in 4,312 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzNightmare View Post
Is seeing parents often something that is considered "normal" for a lot of you that have moved out (and married if that changes the situation)?

I know friends who see their parents every weekend. But I probably only see mine maybe once a month, if even. Now with the pandemic, I haven't seen them in like 3 months... And we live about 20 mins away.
I think cultural norms and other variables contribute to what is "normal." My friends visit their families regularly because they have a good relationship with them, or will ask their parents to help take care of the kids when they've got work-related duties (i.e. travel for work / parental leave is over etc.) On the flip side, I do have friends who see their parents maybe once a month, mainly because their parents are still working, or distance is what keeps them from seeing each other regularly.
bcrdukes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 05:38 AM   #15580
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 2,183 Times in 606 Posts
Quote:

Me, girlfriend, brother + wife/kids have dinner with our parents every Sunday.
One of my dogs lives with them due to height restrictions at my place so going there and playing with his is an added bonus.
stewie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 06:31 AM   #15581
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,731 Times in 1,322 Posts
Quote:

Mine live halfway across the Country, I'm lucky if I see them once a year. I went 3 years without seeing my dad before and that was after seeing him 5 days a week for 13 years when I worked for him. I wish I could see them more, my mom used to come back here 3-4 times a year but now her health doesn't really allow it. I talk to my mom 2-3 times a week on the phone though.

My wife would only see her dad maybe once a year at Christmas and he used to live 15 minutes from us.

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I don´t care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. That´s how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
quasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 07:19 AM   #15582
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 2,171 Times in 961 Posts
Quote:

I've got a 13 month old so the grandparents are either over nearly every day or there's a daily FaceTime call. We chose our location (East Van) so that we could be close to them (we're a 5-8 min drive away) as they're retired and my wife and I know we'll be taking care of them as they grow old.

Makes it tricky as it does limit our housing options - we don't have a usable garage or backyard and upgrading near our area is gonna run a few hundred grand that I don't really want to spend. I'm likely to stay mostly WFH after the pandemic ends but I suspect my wife will still need to go downtown most days (federal gov't) so moving out to the sticks with the longer commute just isn't in the cards for us.
Old 05-25-2020, 07:36 AM   #15583
RS Veteran

Marriage, childcare, and aging parents can often impact real estate options for better or worse. Bit of a double edged sword when it comes to buying a place in the GVRD (or anywhere for that matter.) Childcare is expensive!
Old 05-25-2020, 07:52 AM   #15584
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,357 Times in 5,656 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiceIntegraRS View Post
^Yes i see my parents pretty often, maybe 2 times a week which will now probably be 5 times a week since i dont trust to put my kid into day care.

I moved to Surrey 3 years ago, and i went from seeing my Vancouver friends 2-3 times a week to maybe seeing them if im lucky once a month. Of course i have to go to Vancouver cause apparently Surrey is too far for them. But Surrey to Van isnt far...............
I’ve said this before but Van is almost like a black hole once you live there lol. I used to get pissed off when my wife and I lived in Burnaby by Lougheed mall and most of her friends from Vancouver wouldn’t come over when we had parties etc. Even though we were right off the highway and right on the sky train

But now that I live there it’s almost like the automatic reaction to not want to leave lol.. my parents still live in Surrey (Fraser Heights) as do a bunch of my friends still and from East Van to Fraser heights it couldn’t be easier really

However, if you live south Van, west of Main, etc. Driving from Vancouver east becomes much more of a chore and I probably wouldn’t do it nearly as often
Old 05-25-2020, 07:56 AM   #15585
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,463 Times in 1,127 Posts
Childcare expenses are the primary reason why we live in a small townhouse in the suburbs rather than own a house.

$2000+/month after tax is a lot of money for all but the top 3-5% of income earners and getting into a house would take away money from other things, like RESPs and savings outside of our company retirement plans.
Tapioca is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-25-2020, 08:37 AM   #15586

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapioca View Post
Childcare expenses are the primary reason why we live in a small townhouse in the suburbs rather than own a house.

$2000+/month after tax is a lot of money for all but the top 3-5% of income earners and getting into a house would take away money from other things, like RESPs and savings outside of our company retirement plans.
Childcare expenses are brutal, it's the sole reason we only had one kid. In hindsight should have sucked it up and just dealt with it, regret not having a second child but I'm to old now and zero chance I'm going back to diapers when I have a kid that is only a couple years away from driving.

My parents lived in the area when my son was 0-6 but no way they would have helped me with looking after the kid, I can count on one hand the times they babysat for us in that time to allow us to go out for dinner without child. Those of you whose parents are willing to help are really lucky, don't take it for granted.

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I don´t care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. That´s how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
This post thanked by:
Old 05-25-2020, 09:10 AM   #15587
i like gifs

Thanked 7,785 Times in 2,695 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by quasi View Post
My parents lived in the area when my son was 0-6 but no way they would have helped me with looking after the kid, I can count on one hand the times they babysat for us in that time to allow us to go out for dinner without child. Those of you whose parents are willing to help are really lucky, don't take it for granted.
How's your relationship with your parents before and after?
Ch28 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-25-2020, 09:30 AM   #15588

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch28 View Post
How's your relationship with your parents before and after?
Honestly it's fine, they just didn't want to be parenting little kids. That said when my sister past away 2-1/2 years ago they adopted her daughter who's now 15 so that's happened anyway mind you a 15 year old (13 at the time) is quite self sufficient for the most part.

The reason I don't see my parents that often is because both myself and my dad are workaholics. The limited vacation I do have I feel like I'm wasting it going to the prairies, I hate the place so much I'd rather go to Mexico or somewhere nice where it feels like a vacation. Every time I go there I'm like am I going long enough? Then I'm there for 8 hours and I'm like shit when am I going home. It's not that I don't want to see my parents, of course they can always come visit me but because of my moms health unless my dad comes it doesn't happen and because he works so much and never takes time off that doesn't really happen.

Last edited by quasi; 05-25-2020 at 09:36 AM.
Old 05-25-2020, 10:08 AM   #15589
Head of HR....have a seat on that couch

Thanked 15,586 Times in 4,318 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrdukes View Post
Marriage, childcare, and aging parents can often impact real estate options for better or worse. Bit of a double edged sword when it comes to buying a place in the GVRD (or anywhere for that matter.) Childcare is expensive!
Good thing MG1 is retired and can watch the little dookies.

Originally posted by v.b.
can we stop, my pussy hurts...
Originally posted by asian_XL
fliptuner, I am gonna grab ur dick and pee in your face, then rub shit all over my face...:lol
Originally posted by Fei-Ji
haha i can taste the cum in my mouth
Originally posted by FastAnna
when I was 13 I wanted to be a video hoe so bad

RSUV #7
fliptuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 10:09 AM   #15590
RS Veteran

wat
Old 05-25-2020, 10:27 AM   #15591
linguistic ninja

Thanked 3,389 Times in 1,233 Posts
bcrdukes you ok? I just clicked on New Posts after not viewing for a few days and you're like the last poster for like 30304252654 threads

Still a card carrying member of the SFC :)
CivicBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-25-2020, 10:28 AM   #15592
RS Veteran

Old 05-25-2020, 11:05 AM   #15593
PM me for my nudes

Thanked 3,772 Times in 1,001 Posts
stock and noob meet time
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkunkWorks View Post
This wouldn't happen if you didn't drive a peasant car like an Audi...
Quote:
[14-05, 14:59] FastAnna You tiny bra wearing, gigantic son of a bitch
[15-05, 10:35] FastAnna Yeah I was dreaming of those big titties in that tiny bra
Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
I'd probably blow someone for that 911
smoothie. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 11:31 AM   #15594
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,839 Times in 1,483 Posts
My opinion on the Vancouver black hole is that it is such a PITA to get anywhere. I only lived in Vancouver (Kitsilano) for 6 years, but Jesus man. I even hated going downtown. Unless you don’t mind paying out the ass for cabs the city is a nightmare. I spent more time in Squamish then places out of “my zone” within Vancouver.

Now being in PoCo, I’m still in Vancouver visiting family once a week, but the traffic once off the highway just about blows my top everytime. We don’t have too many people come visit us, but at the same time I don’t think we put out the offer very often. Haha. But when we do, people do come. It’s enjoyable to be a good host. I will move back to Van eventually, it has its +‘S but man, their is also a lot of -‘s lol.

320? I’d be moving off this place in a heart beat if you really do hate it. Living on the island is amazing (I grew up there). It is getting waaaaay busier now though and will just continue to get worse.
Old 05-25-2020, 11:47 AM   #15595
RS Veteran

The Island was too busy for Harry and Meghan, so they moved to Los Angeles.
This post thanked by:
Old 05-25-2020, 12:02 PM   #15596

I just want my 3-5 acres, 2k²ft rancher,100' from the road and big ass red barn. Let the dogs run around, work on my cars, maybe get a chicken coop, nice garden and have bigass bonfires.

I grew up in East Van, by 29th station, my spouse over by Van Tech. We're in Poco now but North Pitt Meadows is the goal.

fliptuner, I am gonna grab ur dick and pee in your face, then rub shit all over my face...:lol

RSUV #7
This post thanked by:
Old 05-25-2020, 12:35 PM   #15597

Thanked 5,568 Times in 2,107 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fliptuner View Post
I just want my 3-5 acres, 2k²ft rancher,100' from the road and big ass red barn. Let the dogs run around, work on my cars, maybe get a chicken coop, nice garden and have bigass bonfires.

I grew up in East Van, by 29th station, my spouse over by Van Tech. We're in Poco now but North Pitt Meadows is the goal.
You could easily do that with way less than 3 acres unless you wanted to actually farm.

My neighbour has a 3800 sq ft 2-story on 1.3 acres with a chicken coop with a half dozen chickens, bonfire area, and like a 1/2 acre area for the dogs to roam. Could easily put a barn in. Their driveway is large enough to fit 4 pickups, a welding truck, and several cars (there are like 4 families living there).

As for the island, anything north of the Malahat is way less busy than the Greater Vancouver region.

Last edited by Jmac; 05-25-2020 at 12:58 PM.
Jmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 12:49 PM   #15598

https://www.rew.ca/properties/257900...+Meadows%2C+BC

Something along the lines of this, where I could live, then build. Anything over 3acres and I'd try to lease the land for farming or as a hay field, to maintain ALR status, keep the tax low and get some income out of it. Who knows, maybe the area gets developed in 20 years and I can piece it off.

RSUV #7
Old 05-25-2020, 12:52 PM   #15599
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,357 Times in 5,656 Posts
Personally if I had to look at Mission etc. I’d probably be moving to Penticton instead
Old 05-25-2020, 01:02 PM   #15600
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,308 Times in 2,515 Posts
Don't completely rule out living somewhere outside of CoV. I have at least 2 friends who used to work in DT, and they lived in the TriCities. WCE worked really well for them, and given that your wife works for the fed gov, it will likely be OK as well as far as standard office hours and the WCE schedules are concerned.

Another option is, when one of my friends relocated from CoV to Surrey, he convinced his parents to move out to Surrey as well. It worked out for his parents because they would still be close to the grandchildren, and they were able to pocket a small but still healthy sum from the RE price difference in CoV vs Surrey.
Quote:
Originally Posted by supafamous View Post
I've got a 13 month old so the grandparents are either over nearly every day or there's a daily FaceTime call. We chose our location (East Van) so that we could be close to them (we're a 5-8 min drive away) as they're retired and my wife and I know we'll be taking care of them as they grow old.

Makes it tricky as it does limit our housing options - we don't have a usable garage or backyard and upgrading near our area is gonna run a few hundred grand that I don't really want to spend. I'm likely to stay mostly WFH after the pandemic ends but I suspect my wife will still need to go downtown most days (federal gov't) so moving out to the sticks with the longer commute just isn't in the cards for us.
Traum is online now   Reply With Quote