REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 06-10-2020, 11:41 AM   #15726
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

what should the pressure be on the home owner side of the PRV?
Advertisement
blkgsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 11:42 AM   #15727
Need my Daily Fix of RS

He did have a pressure gauge and caught the high pressure but the pipe burst i think just from corrosion. I think the pressure is a separate or maybe secondary thing. And they can only inspect what they see. They dont open walls.

Where we screwed up is not hiring a inspector familiar with that neighborhood ( if that even is a thing)
rymack is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-10-2020, 11:51 AM   #15728
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 4,533 Times in 1,520 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rymack View Post
Feel like warning any potential buyers but not sure how we would even do it. Because I can guarantee they are juts going to fix , patch and cover the spot and not disclose it.
You could link the Listing ID or drop the address

So I don't buy a ticking time bomb LOL
|| RIP 02 E46 M3 | Carbon Black | 6MT ||
BIC_BAWS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 11:56 AM   #15729
Need my Daily Fix of RS

MLS® Number: R2455287

I should say even after the pipe burst the inspector said its a well built house with the exception of the plumbing so if anyone was prepared to purchase knowing the scope of work and could make that work financially while negotiating with the owner go for it.
rymack is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-10-2020, 01:18 PM   #15730
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,361 Times in 5,657 Posts
Honestly depending on the construction of the house and how much you can see without opening walls (ie. uninifhaed basement, unfinished mechanical closet, attic spaces, etc.)

Replacing all the plumbing may not be as daunting as it sounds. If Somone knew what they were doing you should be able to replace the majority of it with only a handful of holes in the ceilings and walls
Old 06-11-2020, 07:06 AM   #15731
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,731 Times in 1,322 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
Honestly depending on the construction of the house and how much you can see without opening walls (ie. uninifhaed basement, unfinished mechanical closet, attic spaces, etc.)

Replacing all the plumbing may not be as daunting as it sounds. If Somone knew what they were doing you should be able to replace the majority of it with only a handful of holes in the ceilings and walls
Was at a friends house on Friday and we had this exact conversation about his place. When he bought it years ago it had Poly B that was starting to spring leaks. Him and a friend (Who was a plumber) changed it all on a weekend and had to open up minimal walls. He was kind of lucky because most his bathrooms lined up vertically through the house.

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I don´t care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. That´s how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
quasi is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-11-2020, 08:44 AM   #15732
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 4,533 Times in 1,520 Posts
I paid off the Civic finance to qualify for 6x. Unfortunately, the BlueShore doesn't lend in areas like Surrey + East (incl. Langley/Maple Ridge/Mission). I guess the silver lining is that I won't have to move out there anymore. Though I found some pretty sweet places in Langley, but a max purchase price of $950K requiring a $1500/mo suite is basically impossible.

That said, if we look closer, our purchase price would be between 950K - 1.2M, assuming $1500/mo suite. Interestingly, when I expanded my search to the 900K to 1.2M range, all areas had multiple units that had at least a single suite, if not double suite. On that note tho, a double suite in Langley only nets $1800/mo (800/mo + 1000/mo)
|| RIP 02 E46 M3 | Carbon Black | 6MT ||
BIC_BAWS is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-11-2020, 07:16 PM   #15733
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Thanked 1,090 Times in 318 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkgsr View Post
what should the pressure be on the home owner side of the PRV?
60-80 psi
corollagtSr5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 08:10 PM   #15734
i like gifs

Thanked 7,785 Times in 2,695 Posts
Anybody else in the market for a new place and struggling to decide whether to pull the plug on it or not with all the uncertainty going on?

It feels like I'm reading new reports and articles every day about how it's either a great time to buy now or it's better to wait until after summer when the mortgage deferrals will end.
Ch28 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-11-2020, 08:33 PM   #15735
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,823 Times in 2,507 Posts
if the logic of the latter is when defferals end, wouldn't you add on 3 months as well? (bank grace period before they send in the debt collectors to knee cap you?)

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-11-2020, 08:34 PM   #15736
in the butt

Thanked 3,223 Times in 1,185 Posts
Stop reading reports.

Anyone claiming the future is full of shit, if you are ready to buy, buy

"it can go up! but it might go down!" no shit

Originally Posted by ilovebacon
Does anyone have a pair of 25 pounds one-inch hole for sale at a reasonable price?
donk. is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 06-11-2020, 08:51 PM   #15737
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,824 Times in 3,904 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLOW View Post
if the logic of the latter is when defferals end, wouldn't you add on 3 months as well? (bank grace period before they send in the debt collectors to knee cap you?)
i know one bank just piles on the 3 months to your final payment
doesnt affect your score or ability to refi
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 09:39 PM   #15738

Thanked 1,729 Times in 895 Posts
You do know that banks still make money when they defer you. You are dragging on your balance owing. Of course they will let you drag it on, = more interest for the bank. Plus would you rather buy at 3+% interest? When everyone's pockets are flush with cash to throw around?
JDMDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 09:42 PM   #15739

in that example total balance over life of loan remains unchanged
Old 06-11-2020, 11:06 PM   #15740
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,463 Times in 1,127 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch28 View Post
Anybody else in the market for a new place and struggling to decide whether to pull the plug on it or not with all the uncertainty going on?

It feels like I'm reading new reports and articles every day about how it's either a great time to buy now or it's better to wait until after summer when the mortgage deferrals will end.
It's always a good time to buy when you have the money and find a home that you like.

Unless you're buying with a small down payment, like 10% or lower, I wouldn't be too worried about short-term fluctuations in the market.
Tapioca is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-12-2020, 09:18 AM   #15741

Thanked 2,422 Times in 918 Posts
I think if you're planning to buy a home to live in and enjoy. It's always a good time to buy. However, if it's an investment home it might be a good time to wait it out or look into other cities for better returns.

2022 Velo N
2005 S2000
2007 CSX Type-S [Sold]
2002 RSX-S [T-Boned]
Gerbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 09:36 AM   #15742

Honestly, if we outlaw "rental income" of the property you are purchasing as part of the mortgage application, then real estate prices will a lot more reasonable, and the entire economy would be a lot better, including to those that live on minimum wage.

I truly believe that this is, fueled with FOMO is what fucked over the entire economy here and caused pricing to ridiculous

My Feedback

Blah™
Hakkaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 10:52 AM   #15743

why wouldnt fomo apply to just about every other urban markets?
Old 06-12-2020, 10:55 AM   #15744

Thanked 2,463 Times in 1,127 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchyzero View Post
Toronto, Montreal, and Ottawa are other urban markets in Canada where real estate values are exceeding fundamentals.

Coastal cities in the US are experiencing the same price escalation.
Tapioca is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-12-2020, 11:25 AM   #15745

Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchyzero View Post
it applies everywhere

Point is people are buying something they can't afford without "helpers". This drives up RE prices (including rent), which drives up wages (to a certain degree), which then drives up prices of goods and services, which then leads to people wanting a "living wage", which then drives up prices even more and so forth. And when wages come up bit more as a function of said inflation, then RE goes up again and the cycle repeats

My Feedback

Blah™
Hakkaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 11:39 AM   #15746
Need to Seek Professional Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch28 View Post

Depends on where you are in life and your current living situation. Are you flexible enough in your life right now to postpone buying a home for a few months/year(s) to wait and see where the market will go? And are you financially flexible enough to still purchase the property/location that you want in the chance that prices do go up?

Are you actively looking right now, working with a realtor, and making appointments to visit properties? Do you know exactly what you want and where you want to live?
Alpine is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-12-2020, 11:55 AM   #15747
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,361 Times in 5,657 Posts
Thing is, I know many people who had some half ass quasi suite in their home that they used for leverage on the mortgage however they never ended up having tenants nor gaining that rental income ever.

Also the theory that if those mortgages weren’t dished out and as a result fewer people qualified and in turn home prices fell, how much would they have to fall in order for the renter to be able to afford to buy?

Does a place that went for a million dropping to 700k make it within reach? Does that renter not have a large enough down payment for the million dollar place but now at 700k they do? Kinda doubt it. And that’s with a 30% drop which is virtually unheard of across the board.
Old 06-12-2020, 11:56 AM   #15748
I subscribe to Revscene

I agree with above who mentioned there's no best time to buy. If and when you have the 20% down, I'd start looking and pull the trigger after getting pre-approved from your lender. Having said that, if you are looking into a segment which has a large buyer pool with minimal supply, I'd advise you to avoid over extending. I believe as of now quality entry level detached in E Van ($1.2-1.8 mil) is a hot market with multiple offer situations.

At the end of the day, sellers aren't going to offload their home for a huge discount in a down market. There might be deals here and there but we aren't talking about US sub prime market offloads. The discounts in a down market are marginal after looking at your monthly mortgage amount.

FYI, I am only assuming if you are looking into homes in the LML and not some area in the boonies.
DA9ve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 11:59 AM   #15749
I subscribe to Revscene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
Thing is, I know many people who had some half ass quasi suite in their home that they used for leverage on the mortgage however they never ended up having tenants nor gaining that rental income ever.

Also the theory that if those mortgages weren’t dished out and as a result fewer people qualified and in turn home prices fell, how much would they have to fall in order for the renter to be able to afford to buy?

Does a place that went for a million dropping to 700k make it within reach? Does that renter not have a large enough down payment for the million dollar place but now at 700k they do? Kinda doubt it. And that’s with a 30% drop which is virtually unheard of across the board.
Great point. I think a modest discount now is 10-15% and that's probably for homes that aren't moving and not too favorable in some aspect.
DA9ve is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-12-2020, 12:09 PM   #15750
i like gifs

Thanked 7,785 Times in 2,695 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakkaboy View Post
it applies everywhere

Point is people are buying something they can't afford without "helpers". This drives up RE prices (including rent), which drives up wages (to a certain degree), which then drives up prices of goods and services, which then leads to people wanting a "living wage", which then drives up prices even more and so forth. And when wages come up bit more as a function of said inflation, then RE goes up again and the cycle repeats
It's interesting that you brought up the part about how it drives up wages to a certain degree.

I believe it was Zuckerberg that said people are free to continue working from home, however, they need to stay within the area of their office.

i.e. San Francisco employees need to stay within San Fran.

His reasoning was that all their wages are tied in directly with the city they're in because cost of living is a big contributing factor.
Ch28 is offline   Reply With Quote