REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 01-21-2014, 09:54 AM   #1776
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

mortgage rate going down is mainly due to the benign inflation which is basically saying our economy is shit right now and can't generate any growth. Although Poloz tried talk our way out of this LOL.
Advertisement
Carl Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 10:59 PM   #1777
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Thanked 1,776 Times in 444 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4444 View Post
And job cuts are just one part of it, I had out grown my job, spent a year looking for a good move, found none, got offered what I refer to as a joke locally.

Move abroad, earn 50% more! and pay less tax, work for a huge multinational, have endless career growth opportunities.. wtf Vancouver, wtf indeed, not a place to work, but a place to be rich in
Or work for yourself. Even in a shit economy, if you have the finances and have a skill that's useful, you can make money.

http://www.e38registry.org/
Mr.C is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 01-22-2014, 05:22 AM   #1778
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,731 Times in 1,322 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.C View Post
Or work for yourself. Even in a shit economy, if you have the finances and have a skill that's useful, you can make money.
Working for yourself can be rewarding but there is a lot to be said for not having the stress that comes with being self employed. I watched it almost kill my father, he had his company for 25 years, had over 100 employees and although there were some really good years, there were also a lot of bad stressful ones which beat him down and almost took him out.

I have the skills to open my own business, I know the ins and out and have the contacts to where I'm fairly confident I can make it work. I even have some good people who are great at there job who keep asking me to do it and they'll come for the ride but after watching what it did to my dad I'm quite content working my 8-10 hours a day Monday to Friday, having my weekends off and never worrying about making payroll or picking up more work down the road.

Don't get me wrong, working for yourself can be great but it's not all sunshine and rainbows.

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I donīt care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. Thatīs how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
quasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 07:06 AM   #1779
Banned (ABWS)

Thanked 2,667 Times in 960 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by quasi View Post
Don't get me wrong, working for yourself can be great but it's not all sunshine and rainbows.

It is a LOT easier to just show up to a 9-5 job, put in your bullshit hours and get paid in 2 weeks than it is to run the whole show!
multicartual is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-22-2014, 08:00 AM   #1780
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
Quote:
Working for yourself can be rewarding but there is a lot to be said for not having the stress that comes with being self employed. I watched it almost kill my father, he had his company for 25 years, had over 100 employees and although there were some really good years, there were also a lot of bad stressful ones which beat him down and almost took him out.

I have the skills to open my own business, I know the ins and out and have the contacts to where I'm fairly confident I can make it work. I even have some good people who are great at there job who keep asking me to do it and they'll come for the ride but after watching what it did to my dad I'm quite content working my 8-10 hours a day Monday to Friday, having my weekends off and never worrying about making payroll or picking up more work down the road.

Agreed 100% my cousin have his own pizza place and the hours he put into is not something I think I can manage. Not to mention the stress levels. Constantly trying to see where you can save money working till 3am every night and on weekends. Have very little time with family even on holidays......

Sure he makes more money but the stress and not seeing his family might not be worth it (not to mention his wife is pregant so he might not evne see his son very much......)
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-22-2014, 09:35 AM   #1781
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,941 Times in 765 Posts
Quote:
Way easier said than done.

And for me, i make an amount that would make it quite prohibitive to start something on my own as it would take years to get where I am.

Also, I don't have a 'job' I am in a career path that provides great opportunities around the world, and large pay raises each year

If ur a 40k per year clock stamper, well, you're likely not the kind of person who would be successful in starting something urself... Going on ur own is never an easy decision, especially as things get more and more competitive and expensive
4444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 02:32 PM   #1782
Willing to sell a family member for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 1,421 Times in 273 Posts
Quote:

I wish I could thank you some more.
I run my own business and a lot people think its super easy and glamorous.
They don't realize that you have to compete to find work while being able to make payroll for the people who trust you for their pay cheques

Acura Integra Type R 00-1004 - It's back
223whp 161ft tq 2.0L ITR

My Feedback
E-40six is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-22-2014, 03:02 PM   #1783
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-40six View Post
I wish I could thank you some more.
I run my own business and a lot people think its super easy and glamorous.
They don't realize that you have to compete to find work while being able to make payroll for the people who trust you for their pay cheques

As an entrepreneurial artist wannabe my life is complete fucking chaos stumbling from one project to the next while hustling up the money to keep going and having fun!

Where will I be in a year? Who knows!

It is a wild fucking ride and you need a certain risk-seeking mentality to live it, that's for sure. Kind of like how some people are content with the Grouse Grind and other people spend 100k on Everest and take 6 months to do it. The business mentality is like the climber mentality. You COULD get a regular job and live a nice relaxed life, put in your 9-5 and generally love life if you have a good family and your health. The Canadian dream! This is the person who likes doing the grind.

Or, you could be some guy who seeks out climbing into thin air where you can die doing something recreational that costs like 50k+ to do, and all for what? "Because it's there." Why did Steve Jobs pour his soul into Apple? I think it is the same, "because it's there." His company existed and he wanted to be the best tech company in the world. So much of it was for ego stroking, I'm sure of it, just proving to yourself that you're capable of doing something is a huge reward all unto its own.

I suspect having a dangerous job provides a similar thrill to being a business owner, you're constantly on guard at work because one mistake can fuck you for life!
Old 01-22-2014, 04:32 PM   #1784
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

^ If one mistake is all it takes to fuck your business, you're a pretty bad businessman.
JaPoola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 04:39 PM   #1785

Thanked 30,977 Times in 7,100 Posts
I think you are taking it way out of context. One massive mistake doesn't equal just any mistake.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 04:53 PM   #1786
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

To give an example, an acquaintance of mine made a mistake buying a property without doing enough due diligence, later found out that it had one of those old oil heating tanks underground... which leaked. Couldnt sell the property without disclosing it now, otherwise faced a lawsuit so he fixed and re mediated the soil = $60,000. Luckily the business had enough cashflow to cover the hit, but that one mistake could sink many businesses.

In other news, hows everyone's assessment this year? mine went up despite the doom & gloom. I don't know if I should be happy or sad.
noclue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 05:18 PM   #1787
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaPoola View Post
^ If one mistake is all it takes to fuck your business, you're a pretty bad businessman.

Steve Jobs left Apple and look what happened...

I should clarify, the guy who fired Steve Jobs from Apple in 1985 actually said in 2011 that he was the "world's greatest CEO."

So think about that for a second. Steve Jobs had been fired by Apple in 1985. He had been fired by Apple, then eventually re-joined Apple and created a fucking juggernaut that will outlive anyone who reads this post!
Old 01-22-2014, 05:55 PM   #1788
"They call me Bowser...RawR!"

Would Apple be where they are if Microsoft didn't invest $150 million in the company? People often don't remember that part.
Old 01-22-2014, 06:57 PM   #1789
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 7,136 Times in 2,391 Posts
Your car can become a down payment on a new Vancouver condo

$5400 beater?
Posted via RS Mobile
sonick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 08:20 PM   #1790
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Thanked 1,776 Times in 444 Posts
Quote:

Sure.

At the other side of the coin, my dad worked for 25 years for one of the world's largest oil companies (not in Canada), and by the time he quit to move to Canada he was done with it. 16-hour days, horrible bosses and insane pressure. He was always very stressed out, could barely enjoy life.

The point is, it's not rosy, but ask your dad if he would have rather taken a paycheck for 20 years, then be thrown out on the street in a layoff because he's too old or expensive for the company to maintain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4444 View Post
Way easier said than done.

And for me, i make an amount that would make it quite prohibitive to start something on my own as it would take years to get where I am.

Also, I don't have a 'job' I am in a career path that provides great opportunities around the world, and large pay raises each year

If ur a 40k per year clock stamper, well, you're likely not the kind of person who would be successful in starting something urself... Going on ur own is never an easy decision, especially as things get more and more competitive and expensive
It hasn't been easy. I still have a part-time job as a 'fall-back', but my industry is always in high-demand. At this point, you couldn't pay me enough to take a 9-5 job. Sure, I probably work more hours, and I'm certainly not travelling around the world, but it gives me a certain liberty that I enjoy and wouldn't get in a 9-5.

I think that life is too short to be a paycheck zombie for 30 years.

http://www.e38registry.org/
Mr.C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 09:13 PM   #1791

Thanked 3,731 Times in 1,322 Posts
Quote:
Sure.

At the other side of the coin, my dad worked for 25 years for one of the world's largest oil companies (not in Canada), and by the time he quit to move to Canada he was done with it. 16-hour days, horrible bosses and insane pressure. He was always very stressed out, could barely enjoy life.

The point is, it's not rosy, but ask your dad if he would have rather taken a paycheck for 20 years, then be thrown out on the street in a layoff because he's too old or expensive for the company to maintain.
I don't know what he'd say but when he recovered he got a job at the age of 60 that pays him a better salary then he ever paid himself with no expectations for him to work anywhere near the hours he was before. I don't know if that opportunity would have been there had he not had his own business. He still work stupid hours, not because he has to but because he doesn't know any other way. My father is a workaholic, he always has been and he always will be. He's not that guy working to retire, if he retired he'd die. I'm not like my father, I don't love working I work to live not live to work.

Anyway we've kind of gotten off topic, time to let the real estate go front and center in this thread again.

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I donīt care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. Thatīs how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
quasi is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-22-2014, 09:31 PM   #1792

Thanked 3,044 Times in 1,176 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by noclue View Post
In other news, hows everyone's assessment this year? mine went up despite the doom & gloom. I don't know if I should be happy or sad.
Happy if you're selling, but sad if you're staying and have to pay the increase in property taxes...
Honest to fucking Christ the easiest way to get a married woman in the mood is clean the house and do the laundry.....I've been with the same girl almost 17 years, ask me how I know. - quasi
Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 01:59 AM   #1793
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,779 Times in 2,488 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by noclue View Post
To give an example, an acquaintance of mine made a mistake buying a property without doing enough due diligence, later found out that it had one of those old oil heating tanks underground... which leaked. Couldnt sell the property without disclosing it now, otherwise faced a lawsuit so he fixed and re mediated the soil = $60,000. Luckily the business had enough cashflow to cover the hit, but that one mistake could sink many businesses.

Went up a bit. Looking for a bigger home in the future so I guess its a good thing

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 08:57 AM   #1794
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,941 Times in 765 Posts
Quote:
Sure.

It hasn't been easy. I still have a part-time job as a 'fall-back', but my industry is always in high-demand. At this point, you couldn't pay me enough to take a 9-5 job. Sure, I probably work more hours, and I'm certainly not travelling around the world, but it gives me a certain liberty that I enjoy and wouldn't get in a 9-5.

I think that life is too short to be a paycheck zombie for 30 years.
Who equates having a career with being a pay check zombie?

Having a bs go nowhere job, yes, but many people have amazing careers doing things they love, and get paid a lot of money whilst having loads if security

Different strokes for different folks
4444 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-01-2014, 11:29 AM   #1795

The insanity continues:

Vancouver Mansion Listed at $11.38 M, Re-listed at $16.8 M
This post thanked by:
Old 02-01-2014, 03:01 PM   #1796

does anybody care to share their predictions for the remainder of this year?

I know it's as good as a monkey throwing random darts, but I say market will decline -3% the remainder of this year.
iEatClams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 04:46 PM   #1797

with no rate rise on the horizon sales and prices will probably go side way to a little bit of decline. the real stress test will be in 2016/2017 when rates go back up.
Old 02-02-2014, 01:27 AM   #1798
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

I predict prices will go up this year. With the new property assessment out and being "stable" as the assessment board puts it people will come back into the market. The pent up demand from the slowdown in late 2012 and early 2013 is already making a comeback in the last quarter of 2013 going to spring of 2014. With the government announcement that they will not change the prime lending rate for at least another year rates will remain low and FI's have already started dropping their mortgage rates in competition for the mortgage business for the busiest time of the year coming up. I have been watching the housing market closely in Vancouver and Burnaby and prices have slowly been creeping up. House horniness is back

Disclaimer: I am not a realtor or work for the RE board

S-exy
U-ber
P-owerful
R-aw
A-nimal
SupraMan604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 08:23 AM   #1799
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupraMan604 View Post
I predict prices will go up this year. With the new property assessment out and being "stable" as the assessment board puts it people will come back into the market. The pent up demand from the slowdown in late 2012 and early 2013 is already making a comeback in the last quarter of 2013 going to spring of 2014. With the government announcement that they will not change the prime lending rate for at least another year rates will remain low and FI's have already started dropping their mortgage rates in competition for the mortgage business for the busiest time of the year coming up. I have been watching the housing market closely in Vancouver and Burnaby and prices have slowly been creeping up. House horniness is back

Disclaimer: I am not a realtor or work for the RE board
Lol! You probably know more than 80% of the realtors out there. The market has slightly slowed down in January since December. December was one crazy month. I was still getting phone calls during Christmas and New Years (I had a realtor text/call me on New Years eve at 9:00 pm). The market is slowly picking up again.
StutteR_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 10:45 AM   #1800
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Johnson View Post
with no rate rise on the horizon sales and prices will probably go side way to a little bit of decline. the real stress test will be in 2016/2017 when rates go back up.
I think price will stable? Everytime when I call to arrange a time to see an apartment it is either sold already or have an offer. Yes I am buying for myself to live in, so I figure since interest rate keeps is pretty and will contiune to be low mind as well get a place call "home".
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote