REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 05-10-2021, 11:26 AM   #18501
Need to Seek Professional Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeanutButter View Post
Ooops, sorry guys. I got super confused.
I just messaged my cousin. He lives more towards the Cariboo area. I guess because we were driving around the IKEA area that's what stuck out in my mind.

He said he doesn't think there are any high rises there, most of the new development is located around North Road. He said Maillardville would take a longer time to develop and recommend I stay away from that area. He said better to be around North Road and Lougheed.
In terms of "south Coquitlam", the further you go do down the hill, the "dumpier" (for lack of a better word) it gets. And that applies to almost every area. The higher socioeconomic families will always look to live at the top of the hill.

Up around Austin is nice since it's near the golf course. Once you go lower it gets progressively "worse".
Advertisement
Alpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 11:32 AM   #18502
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,462 Times in 1,127 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine View Post
In terms of "south Coquitlam", the further you go do down the hill, the "dumpier" (for lack of a better word) it gets. And that applies to almost every area. The higher socioeconomic families will always look to live at the top of the hill.

Up around Austin is nice since it's near the golf course. Once you go lower it gets progressively "worse".
It's interesting where this discussion is going....

What you say is absolutely true and the demographic data prove this. The District of North Vancouver boasts some of the highest median household incomes in the Lower Mainland, same thing with Anmore or Belcarra.

Maybe it's a millennial thing - wanting a safe neighbourhood with clean homes and absent of the diversity of social problems, while having 30-minute access to the city, preferably on some form of rapid transit. There are very few neighbourhoods in all of the Lower Mainland that offer this and it has always been this way.
Tapioca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 12:25 PM   #18503
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 1,323 Times in 579 Posts
I don't know but I grew up in East Vancouver and went to the worst academic school back in my time. I still turned out okay LMAO LOL. Half my graduation class didn't have good grades (C's/C+) and half were honor roll students (B+/A's) that went on to university. A lot of those that went to university honestly were book smart, but don't know how to get ahead in life (they didn't earn $$ that much more than someone that didn't). I think it really came down to parenting and upbringing of your background. I didn't get things handed to me like candy, so I had to work hard for whatever I wanted after highschool. I see those that send their kids to a good school but they don't even fit in because of the difference in "class". It's like you roll in a beater Corolla and your kids friend parents roll in a Benz. Other kids look down at your kid and it just creates all these mental emotions which I think affects a kids upbringing. Maybe it's just me thinking of this kind of shit, but I don't think I would change a thing even if I went back in time. This type of environment shaped me to become whom I am today and I am grateful for.

Last edited by Euro7r; 05-11-2021 at 09:24 AM.
Euro7r is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-10-2021, 12:39 PM   #18504

Thanked 1,726 Times in 546 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine View Post
Maillardville suffers from the same perceived "issues" as South Burnaby. Generally speaking, the further you get from Van the higher the value quotient goes.
Give it 10-15 years though, especially if the LRT is approved. Highrise condos are starting to go up in that area and it will be a natural extension to Lougheed Town Center. My concerns are that it will turn into a little bit like East Van (since the large lots are all being subdivided into new houses + rental suites + laneways).
With the southwest housing review, there's going to be lots of development happening around Maillardville that should help 'improve' the area.

https://www.coquitlam.ca/939/Southwest-Housing-Review
bcedhk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 01:02 PM   #18505
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,165 Times in 7,156 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Euro7r View Post
I don't know but I grew up in East Vancouver and went to the worst academic school back in my time. I still turned out okay LMAO LOL. Half my graduation class didn't have good grades (C's/C+) and half were honor roll students (B+/A's) that went on to university. A lot of those that went to university honestly were book smart, but don't know how to get ahead in life (they didn't earn $$ that much more than someone that didn't). I think it really came down to parenting and upbringing of your background. I didn't get things handed to me like candy, so I had to work hard for whatever I wanted after highschool. I see those that send their kids to a good school but they don't even fit in because of the difference in "class". It's like you roll in a beater Corolla and your kids parents roll in a Benz. Other kids look down at your kid and it just creates all these mental emotions which I think affects a kids upbringing. Maybe it's just me thinking of this kind of shit, but I don't think I would change a thing even if I went back in time. This type of environment shaped me to become whom I am today and I am grateful for.
I think the original question brought up a good point that they want their kid to go to a school with mixed demographics. I think a huge part of being a successful adult is more to do with learning how to interact and thrive with people from very different backgrounds in terms of socioeconomic, religious, and ethnicity. I'm very thankful I went to the school that wasn't just the middle/upper class Southside white kids in edmonton. My friends that did very commonly have a more narrow view of how the world works.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-10-2021, 01:14 PM   #18506
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,502 Times in 4,307 Posts
Euro7r - Did you go to Britannia or John Oliver? Nothing can be worse than those two schools from an academic standpoint haha

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-10-2021, 01:17 PM   #18507
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 1,727 Times in 894 Posts
I thought it was the Dt and Gladstone and Van tech were where all the stabbings were at
JDMDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 01:52 PM   #18508
Need to Seek Professional Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcedhk View Post
With the southwest housing review, there's going to be lots of development happening around Maillardville that should help 'improve' the area.

https://www.coquitlam.ca/939/Southwest-Housing-Review
Yup. I did the survey earlier this year. It should be a lot different in 10-15 years (if we are to believe all the marketing/brochures lol), but we all know what happened to all of the developments that said they were the next Yaletown lol. Even Beresford St. by Metrotown is a complete disappointment to what it could have been.
I brought up my concern with the subdivision + rental suite + laneways because it's something that I am not a fan of. In theory, it should improve the area, bring diversity, etc, but if it follows East Van's path it'll become a haven for investors and each unit will be rented out. Curb appeal suffers dramatically as these houses will not be maintained.
Alpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 03:53 PM   #18509
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 1,323 Times in 579 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrdukes View Post
Euro7r - Did you go to Britannia or John Oliver? Nothing can be worse than those two schools from an academic standpoint haha
Tupper (back in the early 2000's). I believe it was like 2nd worst out of all public secondary schools at the time.
Euro7r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 04:45 PM   #18510
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 2,223 Times in 1,025 Posts
Quote:
Tupper (back in the early 2000's). I believe it was like 2nd worst out of all public secondary schools at the time.
Now I'm curious if I know you since I went to Tupper for a year.

What you said in a previous post is true. A lot of to do with parents doing a good job with upbringing. Drugs are a problem in even the top most private schools.

Helps to not have all that being so readily accessible though.
EvoFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 05:10 PM   #18511
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,502 Times in 4,307 Posts
Tupper. Yup. That was a tough place.

While I only know of a few people who went to Tupper, they all have fared quite well.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 08:42 PM   #18512
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,913 Times in 3,873 Posts
When I went to school it was the wealthier kids that had drugs lol. I assume cause they could afford it more easily and their parents would just pay away any trouble they got into.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 08:55 PM   #18513

I didn’t have much money but I always had drugs.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Quote:
This post thanked by:
Old 05-10-2021, 09:09 PM   #18514
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 5,403 Times in 858 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
I didn’t have much money but I always had drugs.
Well you are a chef...
Old 05-10-2021, 09:32 PM   #18515
i like gifs

Thanked 7,785 Times in 2,695 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Special K View Post
I lived in East Van all my life. It’s time to decide where my girls will go to elementary and high school.

Which Burnaby school is better? North, Central, South, or Moscrop? A neighbourhood with a balanced mix of demographics is important to us.
Your best bet is probably Central or Moscrop in terms of the area and school. I'm a bit biased because I spent 25 years growing up in the Moscrop area.

Central is kind of the "main" school for Burnaby and it's right across from Burnaby City Hall. They got a 56 million dollar renovation back in 2012 so they're currently the newest ones out of the Burnaby schools. The area isn't as pedestrian-friendly because it's situated where Deer Lake and Canada Way intersect.

Moscrop completed its renovation back in 2003. Graduating while spending 2 years in shitty muddy field portables during the fall and winter sucked ass However, the location is great in terms of being central to everything a family with kids would want. You have the choice of Cascade Heights, Inman Elementary, and Chaffey-Burke. If your kid(s) decide to go to BCIT then that's not a far walk away. You have the 110 bus that'll take you up to Patterson Skytrain station and the 130 bus that takes you up Willingdon to Metrotown, so commuting to downtown or anywhere with a skytrain is a lot more accessible. Those were the main reasons why my parents bought there because they knew that they'd want those amenities with young kids growing up.

I don't know much about the Burnaby North area, but they currently have a new school being built next to the old one with it slated for full completion by 2023.
Ch28 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-10-2021, 11:00 PM   #18516
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,601 Times in 543 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Special K View Post
Explain why South is not good?
[/url]

I was told this sold at $2.5m. Damn
Too many middle-class wannabe gangsters at South. It's like South Van but richer... yet cheaper. Nice big houses around there though.

As mentioned above, Moscrop and Central are pretty good but Central's neighbourhood is lacking amenities.

North is a bit too "suburban" for my liking, but it might be your type. For some reason, suburban = many bored kids = pot heads and weekend house parties.
snowball is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-11-2021, 06:00 AM   #18517
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 1,763 Times in 905 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrdukes View Post
Tupper. Yup. That was a tough place.

While I only know of a few people who went to Tupper, they all have fared quite well.
Grad 2000 here to give some reference. I went to Churchill but the only thing I remember about Tupper was their year book often had girls with a picture of them and their baby. I mean I'm not talking like 10 girls, maybe like 2 but at a time where I'd never see a single one in any year book from any school that was a lot.

GREG ADAMS!! GREG ADAMS!!"
winson604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 08:26 AM   #18518

Thanked 2,462 Times in 1,127 Posts
Tupper was rough? I grew up in East Vancouver and went to high school in East Vancouver in the late 90s. Tupper was no more "rough" than JO, Windermere, Tech, Killarney.

The irony is that the neighbourhood around Tupper is rapidly gentrifying and is home to high-earning professional households. Acquaintances of ours recently sold a house for >$2.5M.
Tapioca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 08:28 AM   #18519
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,324 Times in 5,641 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by winson604 View Post
Grad 2000 here to give some reference. I went to Churchill but the only thing I remember about Tupper was their year book often had girls with a picture of them and their baby. I mean I'm not talking like 10 girls, maybe like 2 but at a time where I'd never see a single one in any year book from any school that was a lot.
Brenda got a baby, barely got a brain
Old 05-11-2021, 09:54 AM   #18520
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 1,727 Times in 894 Posts
Things are gonna Boom June 1 new stress test rate is 5.25%
JDMDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 09:59 AM   #18521
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

^^^ sounds like market slow down after that
zyzzjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 10:33 AM   #18522

Thanked 2,422 Times in 918 Posts
Quote:
I remember when my brother went to Tupper in early 2000's, the kids hosed our house

2022 Velo N
2005 S2000
2007 CSX Type-S [Sold]
2002 RSX-S [T-Boned]
Gerbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 10:49 AM   #18523

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkunkWorks View Post
Well you are a chef...
I worked at a skate shop in high school. Tomato tomawto.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 05-11-2021, 11:09 AM   #18524
y'all better put some respeck on my name

Thanked 9,244 Times in 2,359 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapioca View Post
Tupper was rough? I grew up in East Vancouver and went to high school in East Vancouver in the late 90s. Tupper was no more "rough" than JO, Windermere, Tech, Killarney.

The irony is that the neighbourhood around Tupper is rapidly gentrifying and is home to high-earning professional households. Acquaintances of ours recently sold a house for >$2.5M.
I graded in 99, attended DT but had to grad from Eric Hamber. JO was rough and same with Van Tech. Gladstone was pretty bad as well.

I'm shocked at the entire 33rd/Main St area because prices have gone crazy, almost west side prices. The area has definitely changed since the early 2000s.
Harvey Specter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 11:40 AM   #18525
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,747 Times in 699 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvey Specter View Post
I graded in 99, attended DT but had to grad from Eric Hamber. JO was rough and same with Van Tech. Gladstone was pretty bad as well.

I'm shocked at the entire 33rd/Main St area because prices have gone crazy, almost west side prices. The area has definitely changed since the early 2000s.
I never heard anything bad from eric hamber. But, there were a lot of DD's at JO, DT, Van Tech, Gladstone.

I remember seeing some pretty good fights and beltings. I remember a couple stabbings, and know of a couple shootings in the 00's (not at the school, but know people who were DD's that got taken).

Churchill always seemed like a good school.
PeanutButter is online now   Reply With Quote