REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 01-30-2021, 10:31 PM   #17251
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 1,726 Times in 546 Posts
too lazy to search, has Burnaby updated their zoning bylaw to allow for laneway or secondary accessory suites?
Advertisement
bcedhk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2021, 10:54 PM   #17252
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,308 Times in 2,515 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vash13 View Post
Went to go check out this one today.

https://www.realtor.ca/real-estate/2...street-burnaby

Realter mentioned he has over 100 showings this past week and offers on Monday.
I'm surprised it is only asking for $1.5M.
Traum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2021, 10:56 PM   #17253
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 1,729 Times in 895 Posts
I think this is easy $1.7 as it's fully redone, they just priced it super low to start a bidding war.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vash13 View Post
Went to go check out this one today.

https://www.realtor.ca/real-estate/2...street-burnaby

Realter mentioned he has over 100 showings this past week and offers on Monday.
JDMDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 06:51 AM   #17254
Waxin’ Punks

Thanked 6,045 Times in 2,078 Posts
1.5M is low for a 4000sqft lot... yeesh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG1 View Post
punkwax, I don't care what your friends say about you, you are gold!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemhg View Post
What do your farts sound like then?
punkwax is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 10:14 AM   #17255

Thanked 2,463 Times in 1,127 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
1.5M is low for a 4000sqft lot... yeesh.
Location... Burnaby Heights is arguably one of the most desirable neighbourhoods anywhere in the Lower Mainland.

This house is a half hour to downtown Vancouver (drive, transit, or bike) and in a fiscally responsible city with a growing tax base and few of the social challenges that folks living in the city of Vancouver have to deal with.

That's the value here.
Tapioca is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-31-2021, 10:18 AM   #17256
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Looks like there were no takers on the Hobbit House on King Ed. It's up for rent at $6.2K/month now.

Great that the development saved the house but I can definitely see how it would be a tough sell at $2.5M asking. Strata title (no "land"), $700/mo. strata fees, the home - while top-to-bottom reno'd - is only 3 BR and a bit of an odd layout. Facing a busy street too. You're basically buying a gigantic, albeit unique, town home.
Old 01-31-2021, 10:52 AM   #17257
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

It looks like the Hobbit House's basement exit door connects to the condos underground parking lot, that's pretty cool. I wonder how many stalls it gets? I'd think at least 3.
Old 01-31-2021, 12:26 PM   #17258
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GIZZ View Post
It looks like the Hobbit House's basement exit door connects to the condos underground parking lot, that's pretty cool. I wonder how many stalls it gets? I'd think at least 3.
2 stalls according to the listing from September.

I’ve seen some townhome/cityhome units that have a unit-specific garage within the common parkade, with direct underground access. Thought that was pretty cool.
Old 01-31-2021, 12:45 PM   #17259

Thanked 1,726 Times in 546 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapioca View Post
Location... Burnaby Heights is arguably one of the most desirable neighbourhoods anywhere in the Lower Mainland.

This house is a half hour to downtown Vancouver (drive, transit, or bike) and in a fiscally responsible city with a growing tax base and few of the social challenges that folks living in the city of Vancouver have to deal with.

That's the value here.
I would say it is most desirable to invest, but not to live. I agree the City of Burnaby has been doing a pretty job finically, but they have been at a snail pace compared to other municipalities when it comes to improvements to public infrastructure and urban design.

Burnaby heights looks so dated...The commercial/retail area is stuck in the early 90's. The new condos and SFH's built over the past decade have poor building form and character.

I would say the only neighbourhoods I would consider in Burnaby is SFU and Deer Lake Park.
bcedhk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 01:14 PM   #17260
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcedhk View Post
I would say it is most desirable to invest, but not to live. I agree the City of Burnaby has been doing a pretty job finically, but they have been at a snail pace compared to other municipalities when it comes to improvements to public infrastructure and urban design.

Burnaby heights looks so dated...The commercial/retail area is stuck in the early 90's. The new condos and SFH's built over the past decade have poor building form and character.

I would say the only neighbourhoods I would consider in Burnaby is SFU and Deer Lake Park.
Don't know about you but I'd rather my tax dollars go towards public facilities (parks and rec) and good roads instead of being wasted on bike lane and parking permit studies, buying overpriced hotels, and rejuvenating parks which are fenced in to prevent homeless from using them. Plus don't get me started on the parking permit issue that the city council is proposing.

Although the Willingdon/Hastings area is a bit dated looking, at least they have their unique charm with smaller mom/pop businesses. I suppose we have our preferences but Highgate quite walkable as well.
jcmaz is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-01-2021, 07:07 AM   #17261
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Any of you have a good recommendation for carpet, hardwood, and tiles cleaning company? My rental unit needs a good cleaning, and it is 550 sq feet.
Old 02-01-2021, 01:02 PM   #17262
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

vinyl flooring
We shopped at Golden Trim in Richmond

More durable than any carpet, hardwood, lainmate
Water Proof, Easy to Clean.
Old 02-01-2021, 01:16 PM   #17263
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

^Any of you have a good recommendation for carpet, hardwood, and tiles cleaning company?
Old 02-01-2021, 01:16 PM   #17264
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,192 Times in 481 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender Unit View Post
vinyl flooring
We shopped at Golden Trim in Richmond

More durable than any carpet, hardwood, lainmate
Water Proof, Easy to Clean.
He asked for cleaning.

But I bought from golden trim too. Went with laminate though. Salesman said save the money and just go with laminate unless I'm putting it in the washroom, then use vinyl.
SSM_DC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-01-2021, 01:18 PM   #17265
Need to Seek Professional Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcedhk View Post

yikes pass on SFU and Deer Lake for me...im in north burnaby and i might be biased but i started out in East Van and moving here has probably been the best thing for myself and my future. Transit/Mall/Highway/Costco/Superstore/Walmart/Sungiven/mom and pa shops all within a 15min walk (~30min for Superstore/Walmart)...when it snows im not really bothered by rediculous hills and theres ample of parking and roads that make sense for navigation instead of all those twist and turns you'd find elsewhere. It's got a good blend of new and old (homes and businesses).....the only thing i do miss is those finished sidewalks.

Property values...this neighborhood has held in strong even through the "crash" a few years ago and whatever I see available that's not stupidly priced gets snatched up fairly quickly..and even then some of the sold prices i find are a bit bonkers
Sw0op is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-01-2021, 01:25 PM   #17266
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,356 Times in 5,656 Posts
You’ve gotta be a specific person to want to be up on SFU lol.. inclement weather the rest of the lower mainland necer sees, relentless fog, 2-5 deg cooler than Gagalardi/Lougheed on a daily basis. And then surrounded by the Burnaby tank farm on one side and refinery on the other?

I’ve worked all over Burnaby and seen the majority of the neighborhoods and imo Burnaby heights is probably the nicest, most accessible, well rounded neighborhood in Burnaby imo. I’ve been contemplating moving into the Burnaby side for a year or so now but the equity in Burnaby heights seemed to be outpacing the property values in EV.

When you get into those streets like Pandora, Oxford, Eton, Cambridge etc. East of Boundary, there are some beautiful neighborhoods.
Old 02-01-2021, 01:39 PM   #17267
Pull Out Towing. Women rescued for free.

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,283 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
You’ve gotta be a specific person to want to be up on SFU lol.. inclement weather the rest of the lower mainland necer sees, relentless fog, 2-5 deg cooler than Gagalardi/Lougheed on a daily basis. And then surrounded by the Burnaby tank farm on one side and refinery on the other?
I used to hang my gear on the balcony and the constant moisture was disgusting.
If it was raining in VAN, you know everything will be wet from the air.

But more importantly, all lease hold land. #1 erection killer there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu1413 View Post
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
SumAznGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-02-2021, 07:06 PM   #17268
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Felt like I shot myself in the foot on this one...

Bought a pre sale unit and moved into it when it was completed. Claimed the new home buyer discount + newly built home incentive. Lived there for 2 years from 2018-2020.

Fast forward to today.. I receive a letter in the mail asking me to provide 2 or more of the following documents dated between jan 2018, feb 2018, march 2019 & jan 2019.

Home Insurance - foolish me didn't even know I had to get this LOL... got home/apartment insurance in April 2019 & 2020.

Home owner grant claim on the property - I have the receipts, but not the stubs zzz.

Moving bill, strata invoices - I was lucky that my strata manager was able to get my strata invoices and it has everything from March 2019 - now.

Online purchases delivered to your home - I sent everything to my parent's house since they lived 10 minutes walking distance away from the apartment or to work.

Telephone/Cable bills - I was able to retrieve this thank god. If you ever need statements beyond 18 months your provider should be able to pull this up on their end. (Can't comment if you hop between providers though)

Credit card/bank statements - I didn't bother changing my address since my parent's place was 10 mins away

Any personal mail that was mailed to the property during the first year of ownership, except BC HYDRO or FORTIS GAS bills. - This triggered me the most, but once again my fault for never changing my address. But the other thing is they wanted MAIL FROM 2 YEARS AGO WITH SPECIFIC TIME RANGES.

TLDR: Bought a pre-sale applied discounts/incentives/exemptions. Surprise audit letter comes in asking for specific information 2 years later. Struggled to acquire documents while panicking.

I will be submitting every document that I can though
FOREVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 08:55 AM   #17269
in the butt

Thanked 3,223 Times in 1,185 Posts
Coworker purchased a "row house" in maple ridge for 380k 7 years ago (newer build), listed it for 809k, 14 offers in 4 days, sold for 999,999$

Talk about hitting the real estate lotto

Originally Posted by ilovebacon
Does anyone have a pair of 25 pounds one-inch hole for sale at a reasonable price?
donk. is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-03-2021, 11:41 AM   #17270
Pull Out Towing. Women rescued for free.

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,283 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by donk. View Post
Coworker purchased a "row house" in maple ridge for 380k 7 years ago (newer build), listed it for 809k, 14 offers in 4 days, sold for 999,999$

Talk about hitting the real estate lotto
Do you know the address or have the listing link?
Crazy it fetched $1M
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu1413 View Post
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
SumAznGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 12:04 PM   #17271
My homepage has been set to RS

$1 mill for a rowhouse in Maple Ridge? Would also like to see this place, is it 2,000 SF? I'm so depressed.
Liquid_o2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 12:40 PM   #17272

I do see fb ads for new Maple ridge detached for under $1m
Old 02-03-2021, 12:56 PM   #17273
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,308 Times in 2,515 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SumAznGuy View Post
Do you know the address or have the listing link?
Crazy it fetched $1M
That's crazy. Why would anyone buy a roll house in Maple Ridge when I can spend just a tad more for a smaller detached home in Queensborough like this:

https://www.realtor.ca/real-estate/2...ew-westminster
Traum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 01:00 PM   #17274

^ because queens borough will sink? My friend told me that you can't get earthquake or flood insurance in Richmond. I forgot which
Old 02-03-2021, 01:11 PM   #17275
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 2,225 Times in 1,027 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traum View Post
That's crazy. Why would anyone buy a roll house in Maple Ridge when I can spend just a tad more for a smaller detached home in Queensborough like this:

https://www.realtor.ca/real-estate/2...ew-westminster
Queensborough traffic is a shit show morning and night, when most ppl actually need to leave or come home. Transit is non-existent as well.

train tracks also runs there and blocks some of the roads right next to the neighborhood.

It's a good deal, but nope....
EvoFire is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: