REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 01-20-2022, 08:18 PM   #20326
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 2,169 Times in 959 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traum View Post
As I have mentioned before, I'm on a 30 year mortgage that'll supposedly get paid off when I turn 70 lol~ Realistically though, I am not at all concerned because at worst, if I were to kick the bucket before I get to 70, the appreciation over the years should be more than enough to pay off the remaining amount from the mortgage.
I figure if I'm gonna be passing the house down to my kid(s) along with the rest of the inheritance the least they could do is pick up the mortgage cause we're talking about millions of dollars by the time I kick the bucket. I'm due to retire in 9 years at 55 and I could pay it all off then but, by golly, I'm gonna go to Germany and get myself something with a flat six in it.
Advertisement
Old 01-20-2022, 09:26 PM   #20327
in the butt

Thanked 3,217 Times in 1,181 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic! View Post
Another crazy auction. 16500 sqtf house in the Dominican republic with a private beach listed for 3.95 mill going on auction on the 21st. That's like $300 cad a sqft. I dont know why it's so cheap. maybe covid?

[url]
Cheap..... That's 20x the price of a house in the capitol

Considering median wage is 8000$ a year in DR, it would take 500 years for a local to afford that, assuming he saves 100% of it
Even a dentist makes 30k a year, 133 years saving 100%

Originally Posted by ilovebacon
Does anyone have a pair of 25 pounds one-inch hole for sale at a reasonable price?

Originally Posted by Badhobz
I saw some bimbo live streaming her coffee order while standing in line. I wanted to slap the phone out of her hand and throw her into the bean grinder
donk. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 09:46 PM   #20328
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,383 Times in 3,465 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by donk. View Post
Cheap..... That's 20x the price of a house in the capitol

Considering median wage is 8000$ a year in DR, it would take 500 years for a local to afford that, assuming he saves 100% of it
Even a dentist makes 30k a year, 133 years saving 100%
I don't think that house is built for a local. It's also for rent at 21k a week.
Old 01-20-2022, 09:53 PM   #20329
in the butt

Houses here are also not built for locals

Does anyone have a pair of 25 pounds one-inch hole for sale at a reasonable price?

I saw some bimbo live streaming her coffee order while standing in line. I wanted to slap the phone out of her hand and throw her into the bean grinder
This post thanked by:
Old 01-21-2022, 08:02 AM   #20330
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 3,996 Times in 1,902 Posts
Here is an article (Van Sun) about what Singapore is doing to control real estate prices, it's as if the author has been reading this thread! Not sure if it works or not, some think Singapore is a model society/country.

Douglas Todd: As Canada dithers about a flood of house investors, Singapore pushes back
https://vancouversun.com/opinion/col...re-pushes-back

In short:
In Singapore, politicians are combating price jumps with dramatic taxes aimed at curbing speculation by both local and global investors, the latter made up mostly of people from China, the U.S. and India.

The southeast Asian city-state announced in December it will slap a 17 per cent tax on Singapore citizens who buy a second property and 25 per cent tax on their third property. Meanwhile, it will place no extra tax on citizens who are first-time buyers.

Which incidentally, is what I proposed a few pages back. I was kinder, I suggested we taxed the hell out of home #3, 4, 5, etc. Some replied with, 'It won't work because people will just use numbered corporations', but I think you can still track that down to the board of directors and their SIN or whatever.
whitev70r is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-21-2022, 08:21 AM   #20331
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,746 Times in 1,179 Posts
The fundamental problem with real estate, at least residential, is how our policy made out to be.

1. Supply: when city and municipalities make it hard to develop anything at all in the name of "zoning", you create an artificial barrier for supplies. Instead, there should be a plan. Say all RS1 where only single dwelling is allowed, it's allowed to go double dwelling after 25yrs, RS4, where double is already allowed, is ok to go for say double FAR in 25yrs. This way, you create a time-locked increase in supply and the market would only increase as far as knowing they will double the supply every 25yrs.
Right now, we expect that all the areas are limited as is. Yes, there's rezoning and variance that one can apply, but that's a lengthy and difficult process that only developers (small and big) have the time and resources to do.

2. Demand: I see this more as the ability for people to pay. We have promoted dual income. But the truth is, this has created inflationary components in assets that historically kept up with inflation. Right now, people are bidding multi-millions for a duplex, many call it a problem with a low-interest rate and loose monetary policy. But no one ever bothered to look at the workforce component.
When everyone, men and women are working, they create 2 things: higher total income per household, and higher total workforce.
This suppressed the wage increase (because it's easier to find people) and generated an inflation on fixed assets because a household can pay more. But what if we introduce policies that promote single income family? We remove a portion (men and women) of workforce, increase the pay and the housing price in the long run. After all, people can only pay as much as they can afford. If there's a reduction of 25% of workforce, we should increase the hourly pay by 25%, and lower the price of RE by 25% across the board.

We have long cherished women's participation in the workforce, and I agree that they should. But we never discussed that by adding all these new supply of people, we pushed down wage greatly. Instead, we should create policy that make double income undesirable unless both are highly productive and running their own business (that generates job). Otherwise, one of them should stay at home, either men or women... doesn't matter. The idea is to not add further supply to the workforce.

Last edited by Hehe; 01-21-2022 at 08:35 AM.
Hehe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 08:36 AM   #20332
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,151 Times in 7,150 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitev70r View Post
Here is an article (Van Sun) about what Singapore is doing to control real estate prices, it's as if the author has been reading this thread! Not sure if it works or not, some think Singapore is a model society/country.

Douglas Todd: As Canada dithers about a flood of house investors, Singapore pushes back

In short:
In Singapore, politicians are combating price jumps with dramatic taxes aimed at curbing speculation by both local and global investors, the latter made up mostly of people from China, the U.S. and India.

The southeast Asian city-state announced in December it will slap a 17 per cent tax on Singapore citizens who buy a second property and 25 per cent tax on their third property. Meanwhile, it will place no extra tax on citizens who are first-time buyers.

Which incidentally, is what I proposed a few pages back. I was kinder, I suggested we taxed the hell out of home #3, 4, 5, etc. Some replied with, 'It won't work because people will just use numbered corporations', but I think you can still track that down to the board of directors and their SIN or whatever.
If I could choose any policy this one seems so obvious. It targets those who are using the housing market as investments and steers clear of those that are using it as intended, a home to live in.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-21-2022, 08:46 AM   #20333
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 4,065 Times in 1,251 Posts
https://newsinteractives.cbc.ca/long...-CVG9w1nZA5Mg8

This is so fucked

Do they even have a land title?

Quote:
MG1: in fact, a new term needs to make its way into the American dictionary. Trump............ he's such a "Trump" = ultimate insult. Like, "yray, you're such a trump."
bcrdukes yray fucked bcrdukes up the nose

dapperfied yraisis
dapperfied yray so waisis

FastAnna you literally talk out your ass
FastAnna i really cant
FastAnna yray i cant stand you
yray is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 09:04 AM   #20334
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,734 Times in 697 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by yray View Post
https://newsinteractives.cbc.ca/long...-CVG9w1nZA5Mg8

This is so fucked

Do they even have a land title?
The fact it's an old garage isn't the issue, it's that the inspectors didn't find any issues? WTF are these inspectors doing????
PeanutButter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 09:49 AM   #20335
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,734 Times in 697 Posts
Has anyone seen this before?
A portable dish washer?

PeanutButter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 09:53 AM   #20336
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,321 Times in 5,639 Posts
Yea there’s all different kinds, counter top, on wheels etc.

Seems like a big headache
Old 01-21-2022, 10:43 AM   #20337
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,812 Times in 2,501 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeanutButter View Post
The fact it's an old garage isn't the issue, it's that the inspectors didn't find any issues? WTF are these inspectors doing????
well they don't have x-ray vision, but they should have caught what was visually seen like where the rats were going in unless it was covered by snow or something.

not being allowed by the seller to cut an access hatch on your dime per their recommendation would have been a bit of a red flag, the attic space needs to be accessible.

when i read she shared the report with the city - i know EXACTLY what was going to happen next

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 11:28 AM   #20338
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,501 Times in 4,306 Posts
Quote:
A portable dish washer?

Yes, they are often in mobile homes or temporary shelters. They aren't common in a lot of homes.
bcrdukes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 11:36 AM   #20339
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitev70r View Post

In short:

I too said the same a few pages back but someone said investor will just raise rent. Surcharge taxes can be applied prior to buying and still have capital gain tax at sale of said property. I don't think 2nd property should be heavily taxed for citizens like us. We bust our asses and finally afford a vacay home just to get taxes both ways is just a kick in the nuts
6thGear. is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-21-2022, 11:38 AM   #20340

Maybe it’s at the tipping point where people who can afford second homes should be bucking up and paying the tax.

I certainly wouldn’t like it but when a huge portion of society can’t even afford some shit box condo, I don’t feel too bad for people with a second vacation property.

Last summer in whistler we stayed at an Airbnb at the bottom of the village by McDonald’s etc. it was a fantastic little studio unit I would fucking loveeeee to own. Looked up the assessment then Neighboring sold units, this little 500sq for studio could sell for 630 or so

Like, if you own that place, you can afford to pay into the unaffordabilty crisis. My only concern when you start taxing your middle/upper middle class person that owns a place like that is the ultra wealthy with the 10 million dollar whistler
Place probably has ways around those taxes. And you end up hitting the wrong people once again
Old 01-21-2022, 11:43 AM   #20341
Pull Out Towing. Women rescued for free.

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,283 Posts
Quote:
I'm more concerned that she's 41 and expects to pay off the mortgage when she is 65 and the house was purchased for $168K.

Quite a few things don't add up in the story.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu1413 View Post
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
SumAznGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 11:46 AM   #20342
Say! Say! Say!

Thanked 3,215 Times in 1,398 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SumAznGuy View Post
I'm more concerned that she's 41 and expects to pay off the mortgage when she is 65 and the house was purchased for $168K.

Quite a few things don't add up in the story.
Story just keeps getting worse the more I read.
Originally Posted by 89blkcivic View Post
Did I tell you guys black is my favourite colour? My Ridgeline is black. My Honda Fit is black. Wish my dick was black........ LOL.
Razor Ramon HG is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-21-2022, 11:48 AM   #20343
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 3,996 Times in 1,902 Posts
Quote:
A portable dish washer?
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrdukes View Post
Yes, they are often in mobile homes or temporary shelters. They aren't common in a lot of homes.
Wouldn't you have to hook it up to a hot and cold water, and then an exit hose for the water? Sounds like a bit of effort but if for some reason, you can't install a permanent one, I suppose.
whitev70r is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 11:51 AM   #20344

My sister just moved into this big basement suite with a huge kitchen and the place had no dishwasher.. so they bought a counter top one that hooks to the cold of the faucet and then drains into the sink. Looked like a pretty nice unit Danby or sonthing.

My dad went over and said fuck this noise and told the home owner he’ll rip out a cabinet and install a proper dishwasher at his own expense lol.. haven’t been there yet but I’m sure it’s some EI built home
Old 01-21-2022, 11:54 AM   #20345
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
Maybe it’s at the tipping point where people who can afford second homes should be bucking up and paying the tax.

I certainly wouldn’t like it but when a huge portion of society can’t even afford some shit box condo, I don’t feel too bad for people with a second vacation property.

Last summer in whistler we stayed at an Airbnb at the bottom of the village by McDonald’s etc. it was a fantastic little studio unit I would fucking loveeeee to own. Looked up the assessment then Neighboring sold units, this little 500sq for studio could sell for 630 or so

Like, if you own that place, you can afford to pay into the unaffordabilty crisis. My only concern when you start taxing your middle/upper middle class person that owns a place like that is the ultra wealthy with the 10 million dollar whistler
Place probably has ways around those taxes. And you end up hitting the wrong people once again
Just helped my sister/BIL find & buy a 1/4 share unit in Whistler as 1bd full ownership was listing for $900k. So they decided on fractional ownership (easier on them for management) Sellers
were a numbered company held their share for 1 year made $80k on top of their rental income. People finding ways to make money off properties anyway they can
6thGear. is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-21-2022, 12:12 PM   #20346
Performance Moderator

Thanked 15,412 Times in 5,096 Posts
Are dishwashers that mandatory? I (obviously) have a built-in and haven't used it for like 5 years. I run a cycle through it now and then just because I was told that the hoses and stuff can go bad.

Been contemplating ripping it out for storage instead but I feel like it would lessen attraction to my unit if I ever sold.
68style is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 12:15 PM   #20347

When I built my suite my mentality was it I want to get top dollar, I had to install a DW
Old 01-21-2022, 12:19 PM   #20348
Zombie Mod

Thanked 5,169 Times in 1,551 Posts
Dishwasher is really convenient. Certainly not a need, but really nice to have.

We went without a dishwasher for about 8 months. It sucked to wash dishes by hand. Sure, you could try and wash each dish as you use it, but it piles up fast after meal prep. Dirty dishes can sit in the dishwasher while the sink remains clear, too.
Old 01-21-2022, 12:25 PM   #20349
Need my Daily Fix of RS

I bought a house last year with a newly reno'd basement that didn't have a dishwasher. We bought a portable dishwasher on wheels as we didn't want to do a another reno on a otherwise decent kitchen. Works well , gives the tenant some extra counter space and they can pop it on when they go to work.
Not a bad option if you have the floor space and don't want to rip out cabinets to fit a dishwasher etc.
rymack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 12:26 PM   #20350
in the butt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor Ramon HG View Post
Story just keeps getting worse the more I read.