REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 01-28-2022, 08:53 PM   #20501
in the butt

Thanked 3,223 Times in 1,185 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitev70r View Post
I do think that reality will force people's behaviour change. If it requires someone driving around the block 15x's trying to find a parking space on the street, then eventually, people will transit or use car share programs, or move, or don't rent there, or if you HAVE to use a car, then don't buy in one of these multi family complexes.
My building has 8 posts on the billboard looking for parking lol... 300 unit building

Including myself
Advertisement

Originally Posted by ilovebacon
Does anyone have a pair of 25 pounds one-inch hole for sale at a reasonable price?

Originally Posted by Badhobz
I saw some bimbo live streaming her coffee order while standing in line. I wanted to slap the phone out of her hand and throw her into the bean grinder
donk. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2022, 12:01 PM   #20502
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 4,583 Times in 1,725 Posts
Quote:
I do think that reality will force people's behaviour change. If it requires someone driving around the block 15x's trying to find a parking space on the street, then eventually, people will transit or use car share programs, or move, or don't rent there, or if you HAVE to use a car, then don't buy in one of these multi family complexes.
This might not be a bad thing, and I'm an avid car guy.

If the sacrifice is the number of cars on the road in order to make housing more affordable for the masses, that is a worthy and good sacrifice IMHO.

Some house owners are also pretty ridiculous in terms of the amount of vehicles per its household.

There's a guy near me on Beta/Brentlawn (one of those lawns), who literally owns 6-7 old ass rusty Cadillacs that sit perma-parked in a row on the residential street in front of his house.

How is that even legal?
mikemhg is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-29-2022, 12:55 PM   #20503
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemhg View Post
This might not be a bad thing, and I'm an avid car guy.

If the sacrifice is the number of cars on the road in order to make housing more affordable for the masses, that is a worthy and good sacrifice IMHO.

Some house owners are also pretty ridiculous in terms of the amount of vehicles per its household.

There's a guy near me on Beta/Brentlawn (one of those lawns), who literally owns 6-7 old ass rusty Cadillacs that sit perma-parked in a row on the residential street in front of his house.

How is that even legal?
Well if he has insurance on all those Cadillacs then he's allowed to park. On the other hand... you can call the city to start issuing tickets for no insurance.

We are and will continue to be a two car household so we purchased in a second parking spot when we committed our pre-sale. Some say it's kind of stupid to spend 30k on a spot but I think it's well worth it to be able go home and not fight for street parking. Plus, indoor kept cars are in better condition than outdoor/street parked cars.
jcmaz is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-29-2022, 01:10 PM   #20504
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,169 Times in 7,158 Posts
It adds that value to your place as well. I wish I’d ponied up for another spot. We are renting one, but that’s not gonna do me any good when we sell.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-29-2022, 01:27 PM   #20505
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,353 Times in 5,655 Posts
This place just sold pretty close to my parents place

Lol..
Old 01-29-2022, 03:52 PM   #20506
I don't get it

Thanked 2,127 Times in 204 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcmaz View Post
Well if he has insurance on all those Cadillacs then he's allowed to park. On the other hand... you can call the city to start issuing tickets for no insurance.

We are and will continue to be a two car household so we purchased in a second parking spot when we committed our pre-sale. Some say it's kind of stupid to spend 30k on a spot but I think it's well worth it to be able go home and not fight for street parking. Plus, indoor kept cars are in better condition than outdoor/street parked cars.
I know exactly which house mikemhg is talking about. ALl the cars have collector plates on them so he pays almost nothing for insurance
Coren is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-29-2022, 07:13 PM   #20507
Performance Moderator

Thanked 15,457 Times in 5,116 Posts
Lol my manager lives 1 street down from where Mike is talking about I was dropping stuff off for her and turned the corner and was like what the fuck are all these 80’s Cadillacs doing here
68style is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-29-2022, 07:52 PM   #20508
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,839 Times in 1,483 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by supafamous View Post
https://biv.com/article/2017/01/car-...city-vancouver

A bit more data on car ownership...

~270,000 cars registered in Vancouver
~670,000 people living in Vancouver
~26% of people in Vancouver had a car share subscription (likely no car)

I'd have to dig a bit further into the data but I don't think we can automatically assume that 1 unit of housing = 1 car especially when it comes to smaller units. We can assume larger homes (especially on the West side) will have more than 1 per housing unit but as income drops and you get into denser transit friendly areas it's going to be less than 1 car per housing unit.
When I lived in town, all my friends had car share subscription all with cars. It’s your go to restaurant to have drinks mode of transport.
Old 01-30-2022, 10:07 AM   #20509
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,752 Times in 700 Posts
You can only park in front of your house otherwise city bylaw is 3hours.

You can call the city and they will issue tickets and eventually tow.
PeanutButter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2022, 10:59 AM   #20510
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 4,013 Times in 1,911 Posts
^ don't forget that you can only park in front of your house if you put chairs or milk cartons directly in front of your house.
whitev70r is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2022, 11:13 AM   #20511

Quote:
^ don't forget that you can only park in front of your house if you put chairs or milk cartons directly in front of your house.
Luckily I have a car port in the back of our place so we don't have to worry about parking. I don't mind if you park in front of our house

Just don't put up chairs in front of OUR house.. haha
Old 01-30-2022, 11:48 AM   #20512
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 2,225 Times in 1,027 Posts
I'm so glad we have 4 spots in the back.....

Our neighbours seem reasonable though. When we were doing renos and moving, they kept the front of our house clear as I assume they noticed the work trucks coming and going. Now that we've settled in and park in the garage they've reconverged in front of the house.
EvoFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2022, 12:42 PM   #20513
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 1,323 Times in 579 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeanutButter View Post
Luckily I have a car port in the back of our place so we don't have to worry about parking. I don't mind if you park in front of our house

Just don't put up chairs in front of OUR house.. haha
I feel, not a lot of detached home owners are okay with other people parking vehicles in front of their homes. Coming and going is fine, but there is always that dbag that will leave their car(s) abandoned for days without moving. The space in front of a home does not belong to the home owner, it's city property; however, when a vehicle is literally abandoned in front of the home you don't own, it's just an inconvenience to others. E.g. Senior individuals for access to their vehicle or families with children.
Euro7r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2022, 02:42 PM   #20514

Thanked 5,403 Times in 858 Posts
I get it - but that's just a part of city living.

If you want your "own" spots in front then you'll have to move out to the sticks.
Old 01-30-2022, 04:09 PM   #20515
HELP ME PLS!!!

Thanked 1,379 Times in 478 Posts
my neighbourhood is starting to get more laneways and parking is starting to become a problem. there is also a house near by bought by a developer on another street and is rented out to a lot of people so they started parking on the street as well. can't even park infront of my house most of the days.

Will get worse once people start using the skytrain again as i'm on the first street without premit parking.
CoV is very slow at coming to ticket the car as well or give notice. There was serveral occasions that i called on monday, the car sat there for tuesday wednesday thursday and never even got a notice or ticket.
lilaznviper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2022, 06:41 PM   #20516

Quote:
Originally Posted by Euro7r View Post
I feel, not a lot of detached home owners are okay with other people parking vehicles in front of their homes. Coming and going is fine, but there is always that dbag that will leave their car(s) abandoned for days without moving. The space in front of a home does not belong to the home owner, it's city property; however, when a vehicle is literally abandoned in front of the home you don't own, it's just an inconvenience to others. E.g. Senior individuals for access to their vehicle or families with children.
If they need the parking in front of their house, it should be for the home owner, but for people like me and others, if you don't use the parking, I don't think many home owners would mind.
Old 01-30-2022, 07:02 PM   #20517
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,169 Times in 7,158 Posts
Maybe it will motivate people to use their garages for parking instead of boxes of junk.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-31-2022, 08:54 AM   #20518
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,422 Times in 918 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by donk. View Post
My building has 8 posts on the billboard looking for parking lol... 300 unit building

Including myself
My building has 3 people selling their spots at Joyce and only for $50/spot. Brentwood, I was playing $100 - 300 a spot.

2022 Velo N
2005 S2000
2007 CSX Type-S [Sold]
2002 RSX-S [T-Boned]
Gerbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2022, 09:00 AM   #20519

Thanked 1,726 Times in 546 Posts
i think this question was asked here but couldn't find it on the search tab.

Besides Buzzbuzzhomes, what's the best way to get updates on pre-sales open to the public? Or is the only way to find a realtor with connections to developers?
bcedhk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2022, 09:22 AM   #20520
Pull Out Towing. Women rescued for free.

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,283 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemhg View Post

Ooo, I know which house you are talking about. Back in the day he'd be a baller but now they are all rusted out crappers. I'll have to take another look when I am in the area to see if the cars are insured.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu1413 View Post
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
SumAznGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-31-2022, 09:44 AM   #20521
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,353 Times in 5,655 Posts
It’s the hoarder motto, wait until it’s worthless
Old 01-31-2022, 09:46 AM   #20522
Performance Moderator

Thanked 15,457 Times in 5,116 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SumAznGuy View Post
Ooo, I know which house you are talking about. Back in the day he'd be a baller but now they are all rusted out crappers. I'll have to take another look when I am in the area to see if the cars are insured.
They’re all on collector plates…
68style is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-31-2022, 10:37 AM   #20523

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
It’s the hoarder motto, wait until it’s worthless
haha. I laughed because I just pictured myself in 10 years.. All my crypto and NFT's are worthless. YAY
Old 01-31-2022, 01:55 PM   #20524
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Euro7r View Post
For the City of Vancouver as PeanutButter pointed you, there is a 3 hr bylaw:

https://vancouver.ca/streets-transpo...lar%20vehicles

Section 17.6 (f): Between 8am and 6pm every day, do not park your vehicle for more than 3 hours in front of residential or commercial properties that you do not own or work at.

The 3-hour bylaw restricts non-resident parking to a maximum of 3 hours to allow daytime access for residents to their homes and for business owners and employees to their workplaces.

Exempted from this time limit are:

Emergency vehicles
Consular vehicles
Carshare vehicles
Vehicles with a SPARC placard, that may park in time-limited resident parking zones for 3 hours

So it is the city's property but they do give priority to the home owner and business (rightfully so).
Scotsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2022, 02:09 PM   #20525

Thanked 7,759 Times in 2,313 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
Maybe it will motivate people to use their garages for parking instead of boxes of junk.
Lol, seriously. People with two car garages out here who couldn't even park one car in their garage if they wanted to. Fucking ridiculous.

My current apartment came with 2 parking stalls, and over the years I managed to buy two more for ~40k a piece.

Now that they have altered the parking situation down near Lonsdale Quay, those parking stalls are going to be worth their weight in gold if we ever sell this apartment. The only downside has been that the parking height is a little low, so my work trucks have been 50/50 over the years if they fit under the parkade, for any normal person 4 parking stalls will likely be over kill, or a god send.

Barney Fucking Purple FX35
Brianna - 2008 FX35 - Build Thread
meme405 is offline   Reply With Quote